Taking alcohol on board

Host Sharon

As I have mentioned earlier the security staff are there to check prohibited items like knives drugs etc not alcohol bottles. One gangway is manned by restaurant staff and other by bar staff. As per training given by P&O they have told not to force anyone to declare. So it's upto you whether you want to declare or not. Remember it's extra work for the crew to carry all the bottles back to Bar Manager office. The restaurant & Bar staff are not Custom Officers.

As I suspected. Shame it’s taken 37 pages, but at least we now know that there is no issue!

As I suspected. Shame it’s taken 37 pages, but at least we now know that there is no issue!

Sorry Selbourne how do you know that? Just because someone has crew in there name does not mean they are actually crew. He or she seems to have forgot that there are security staff on all the time. The waiters and stewards are there to help. It’s the security staff in charge. Do you know what they have been instructed to do??

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sorry Selbourne how do you know that? Just because someone has crew in there name does not mean they are actually crew. He or she seems to have forgot that there are security staff on all the time. The waiters and stewards are there to help. It’s the security staff in charge. Do you know what they have been instructed to do??

If you dont believe just ask the crew manning those desks. Anyway Josy1953 has already mentioned what I have already stated.

We are just back from Azura and we never saw anyone asked to hand in any alcohol on boarding at any port and although we saw a table just behind the scanners we never saw anything on it.

I cannot decide whether P&O are not really monitoring what passengers are bringing on or whether all passengers were well behaved rule followers like we are. :D:D

Exactly what i said

No, I have no idea what they have been instructed to do Dai. I merely report my experience, since the new policy, that I have seen no implementation of it and others are starting to report the same. As with many things, I suspect it’s there to stop large scale abuse, such as people wheeling on crates of booze (which I have seen in previous years) rather than the odd bottle. Like you, I don’t bother to take anything on board now. I have just struggled to understand why some people have got so agitated about it when I have always felt that it was dead easy to work around and also the security staff have more important things to do. As we know, if you are in contravention, you aren’t thrown off the ship or locked in the brig, you are merely asked to collect any surplus at the end of the cruise. Zero risk, just a minor inconvenience although, if I was minded to take a load of booze onboard (which, I repeat, I am not) I would simply spread it across our suitcases.

As for user names, I share your suspicions.

No, I have no idea what they have been instructed to do Dai. I merely report my experience, since the new policy, that I have seen no implementation of it and others are starting to report the same. As with many things, I suspect it’s there to stop large scale abuse, such as people wheeling on crates of booze (which I have seen in previous years) rather than the odd bottle. Like you, I don’t bother to take anything on board now. I have just struggled to understand why some people have got so agitated about it when I have always felt that it was dead easy to work around and also the security staff have more important things to do. As we know, if you are in contravention, you aren’t thrown off the ship or locked in the brig, you are merely asked to collect any surplus at the end of the cruise. Zero risk, just a minor inconvenience although, if I was minded to take a load of booze onboard (which, I repeat, I am not) I would simply spread it across our suitcases.

As for user names, I share your suspicions.

I agree with you, we have in the past seen people bringing back lots of wine etc back to the ship. I am disappointed that these people have led to P&O implementing this policy because despite being very moderate drinkers we do like the occasional glass of wine on the balcony on sea day afternoons. We did not bother to go to a bar to pick up a glass of wine to drink on the balcony so it is probably better for our health as we kept our drinking down to just a glass with our dinner.

:wine-glass:

I agree with you, we have in the past seen people bringing back lots of wine etc back to the ship. I am disappointed that these people have led to P&O implementing this policy because despite being very moderate drinkers we do like the occasional glass of wine on the balcony on sea day afternoons. We did not bother to go to a bar to pick up a glass of wine to drink on the balcony so it is probably better for our health as we kept our drinking down to just a glass with our dinner.

:wine-glass:

I agree too.

P&O are a business and people carrying crates of alcohol or numerous bottles on board is out of order then drinking there own alcohol all over the ship including the bars was taking the pxxx.

P&O were very good in letting people bring alcohol on board at ports of call when other lines prohibited it.

When visiting Spanish ports i used to like to bring a couple of cans or bottles of their stronger and hoppier San Miguel beer on board to drink on the balcony.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

I agree too.

P&O are a business and people carrying crates of alcohol or numerous bottles on board is out of order then drinking there own alcohol all over the ship including the bars was taking the pxxx.

P&O were very good in letting people bring alcohol on board at ports of call when other lines prohibited it.

When visiting Spanish ports i used to like to bring a couple of cans or bottles of their stronger and hoppier San Miguel beer on board to drink on the balcony.End Quote.

I don't mind paying the spirits and wine prices for delivery to the cabin, as they are reasonable, but the price of a bottle of beer to drink on the balcony is exorbitant. A San miguel in port probably costs around a Euro, but a Peroni will set you back about £3.50 in the cabin (£1.20 in Tesco). At that rate, a cold beer after a day in the sun for 2 for a fortnight comes to £98!

Bringing alcohol on board is not unlawful, just against the P&O rules that they changed after we booked.

Not really bothered how much alcohol people smuggle on board but please don’t put it in with your main luggage unless it’s really wrapped well. A few years ago we were on celebrity constellation cruising out of Istanbul. I checked my luggage the morning of embarkation at the hotel ,all fine but when I went to unpack to my horror just about everything in the case was dripping with red wine,dinner suit ,white jacket etc. Due to some inconsiderate person packing drink in his or her suitcase. Went down to reception and within 30 minutes everything was taken away to be laundered free of charge.not a good start to the holiday. I worked for p&o many years ago (Arcadia & chusan). On turn around day in Southampton I helped to get the luggage into the lifts to be offloaded at various decks the lifts were completely loaded from floor to ceiling. We didn’t treat them with much respect the same being true today from the time the porters take them if your case is at the bottom of the pile especially the modern lightweight material type then the odds of you getting your smuggled bottle in tact is low.please think of your fellow passengers.

Not really bothered how much alcohol people smuggle on board but please don’t put it in with your main luggage unless it’s really wrapped well. A few years ago we were on celebrity constellation cruising out of Istanbul. I checked my luggage the morning of embarkation at the hotel ,all fine but when I went to unpack to my horror just about everything in the case was dripping with red wine,dinner suit ,white jacket etc. Due to some inconsiderate person packing drink in his or her suitcase. Went down to reception and within 30 minutes everything was taken away to be laundered free of charge.not a good start to the holiday. I worked for p&o many years ago (Arcadia & chusan). On turn around day in Southampton I helped to get the luggage into the lifts to be offloaded at various decks the lifts were completely loaded from floor to ceiling. We didn’t treat them with much respect the same being true today from the time the porters take them if your case is at the bottom of the pile especially the modern lightweight material type then the odds of you getting your smuggled bottle in tact is low.please think of your fellow passengers.
You have raised some very relevant points which people would be well advised to take notice of.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Wouldn't even think about putting a bottle in my case,trouble is I'm not sure if I'd be more upset about clothes being ruined or losing the booze!!!

Sorry no contest there. :). :)

Well the P&O duty free prices look even more reasonable now compared to what things will cost at home With the introduction of minimum unit pricing for alcohol.

While it should not affect most of what we buy, it will because the shops will take it as a green light to charge more for absolutely everything.

I shall be stocking up for home on every cruise now. Pity I live far to far from the border to pop over into England for the odd bottle.:)

Well the P&O duty free prices look even more reasonable now compared to what things will cost at home With the introduction of minimum unit pricing for alcohol.

While it should not affect most of what we buy, it will because the shops will take it as a green light to charge more for absolutely everything.

I shall be stocking up for home on every cruise now. Pity I live far to far from the border to pop over into England for the odd bottle.:)

And Buckfast is such a long way from Scotland as well.

Currently in Gibraltar on Arcadia. Bought a couple of bottles in town, before they were scanned upon return to the ship, I was politely asked to leave them at the table once scanned. I was given a receipt and can collect them on the day they specify. Lots of bottles were being collected in this way although as others have said, in other ports very few. This is probably because Gibraltar is the only port we have visited where alcohol is significantly cheaper than onboard via room service or duty free shop. I guess it is a slight inconvenience but they are very open about the system so nobody should be surprised

Even more reason to be glad that I live in England, that is apart from the weather;p

Does anyone have a Wine List showing prices either for in cabin purchase or in the MDR from Azura or any of the other ships please. We are on Azura in May.

Does anyone have a Wine List showing prices either for in cabin purchase or in the MDR from Azura or any of the other ships please. We are on Azura in May.

I’ve asked this before but no joy! I’ll definitely take a photo when I’m onboard and upload here when I return but too late for both of us unfortunately 🤨

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’ve asked this before but no joy! I’ll definitely take a photo when I’m onboard and upload here when I return but too late for both of us unfortunately 🤨

There is no in cabin wine price list. It is the same as the bar list.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

That’s fine - just the MDR wine list then?

Yes, we have been known to buy a bottle or two of Billi Billi for in cabin use.