1st Timers on Oasis - Best Cabin Location

arm72

My hubby's parents, his brother and new wife and our family of four (myself, hubby, & two girls ages 13 and 16) are planning a trip on the Oasis for the June 17th Western Caribbean sailing to celebrate our daughter's Sweet 16. We've been on FOS twice before and loved it!

I am looking for information on where the best cabins would be for us. My FIL & MIL will need a scooter accessible cabin and we would like it adjoining to ours. Ocean view or balcony cabins are preferred. My brother and sister-in-law would most likely want to be near us - but not necessarily adjoining to us.

We would like our cabins not too far from an elevator, but also not so close that we get noise from it either.

Would you all give us some ideas about which sections of the ship would work best for our family? What's close to the most used places on the ship? Do you feel much movement if you're not near the center?, etc.

Any information would greatly be appreciated! -A

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My hubby's parents, his brother and new wife and our family of four (myself, hubby, & two girls ages 13 and 16) are planning a trip on the Oasis for the June 17th Western Caribbean sailing to celebrate our daughter's Sweet 16. We've been on FOS twice before and loved it!

I am looking for information on where the best cabins would be for us. My FIL & MIL will need a scooter accessible cabin and we would like it adjoining to ours. Ocean view or balcony cabins are preferred. My brother and sister-in-law would most likely want to be near us - but not necessarily adjoining to us.

We would like our cabins not too far from an elevator, but also not so close that we get noise from it either.

Would you all give us some ideas about which sections of the ship would work best for our family? What's close to the most used places on the ship? Do you feel much movement if you're not near the center?, etc.

Any information would greatly be appreciated! -A

You can access the deck plans of the Oasis on the Royal Caribbean website.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com

With your complicated needs, I suggest an experienced cruise travel agent.

Are you sure you want an adjoining cabin with your inlaws?

You do know the door between does not lock?

I like my inlaws, but not that much.....

You're kidding, right? HOW is that even allowed since there is no guarantee that people in connecting rooms are related or traveling together? I have NEVER heard of connecting doors that don't lock.

I cruised with my girlfriend, her retired mother, and her sister's family (sister, husband, two toddlers). What we did that worked great for us on the Oasis was we booked inside balconies -- we put the grandmother and the sister's family ACROSS from us. We ended up doing the rear balconies overlooking the aqua theater but I would have been fine with the central park balconies, too.

This way during the morning and late evenings we could wave at the kids, the grandmother was near the family to take care of the kids and usually the kids slept at grandma's room so the parents could have some time to themselves. No adjoining door between them.

It was a blast and I'd do it again on a future family cruise. Was really nice not to all be jammed in the same hallway and always having to attend to the kids wanting to see us.

I didn't like the ocean balcony the one time I booked one, the inside balconies are really nice and less wind/cold I've found.

I have had connecting rooms multiple times because we have kids and did so when they were little.

The room steward will unlock it the first day for you.

But it will remain unlocked the entire voyage.

Yes you can shut the doors but anyone can walk in.

I think you can wedge a chair temporary to keep it secure for a while.

Now we put the kids across the hall in an inside....

Your biggest concern will be finding a handicapped cabin for the scooters. I would get that first and build your family cabins around that. Sometimes handicapped cabins are booked a long, long time in advance.

Suggest either working with a TA or if you call direct to RC have copies of the deck plans available, and have an idea of what you want. Also, there is a difference between adjoining cabins (meaning next door or perhaps across the hall) and connecting cabins. Connecting means there is an interior door, like in a hotel room, that connects the rooms.

You're kidding, right? HOW is that even allowed since there is no guarantee that people in connecting rooms are related or traveling together? I have NEVER heard of connecting doors that don't lock.

It does lock, but it requires a special key. As matj2000 stated, it's unlocked on the first day (for those traveling together and wishing it to be unlocked), and it stays unlocked for the duration of the cruise.

It does lock, but it requires a special key. As matj2000 stated, it's unlocked on the first day (for those traveling together and wishing it to be unlocked), and it stays unlocked for the duration of the cruise.

So if you are NOT traveling with the people in the connecting cabin - or are traveling with them but don't want it open - the host will ensure that it's locked??

I can understand requesting it to be unlocked. But to have to request it to be locked (unless you're traveling with people but don't want the door open) is INSANITY.

So if you are NOT traveling with the people in the connecting cabin - or are traveling with them but don't want it open - the host will ensure that it's locked??

When you show up on the first day, it's locked. You have to request that it be unlocked. I'm guessing locking any of them that are unlocked is part of the steward's normal routine on turnaround day.

In response to your second statement, you do NOT have to request that it be locked (it will already be locked). You only need to request if you want it to be unlocked.

When you show up on the first day, it's locked. You have to request that it be unlocked. I'm guessing locking any of them that are unlocked is part of the steward's normal routine on turnaround day.

In response to your second statement, you do NOT have to request that it be locked (it will already be locked). You only need to request if you want it to be unlocked.

Thank you for clarifying.

The original post that indicated they were unlocked made it sound like there was no lock on them at all, and the subsequent one made it sound like the default was to unlock them.

Thank you for clarifying.

The original post that indicated they were unlocked made it sound like there was no lock on them at all, and the subsequent one made it sound like the default was to unlock them.

No, he meant that once unlocked, the passengers cannot just lock the connecting door when they feel like it. It doesn't have a "regular lock", only one that works with the special key that housekeeping has.

No, he meant that once unlocked, the passengers cannot just lock the connecting door when they feel like it. It doesn't have a "regular lock", only one that works with the special key that housekeeping has.

Gotcha.

Still seems bizarre to me - but I've only had connecting on Disney where you can decide from your cabin but cannot open the other one.

We traveled Oasis earlier this month and had a Boardwalk Balcony cabin on deck 12. There were 2 scooters in the hallway, different rooms. So if you'd rather be aft or on the boardwalk It's doable [emoji3] Then you can choose from ocean Balcony, Boardwalk Balcony or interior rooms.

We traveled Oasis earlier this month and had a Boardwalk Balcony cabin on deck 12. There were 2 scooters in the hallway, different rooms. So if you'd rather be aft or on the boardwalk It's doable [emoji3] Then you can choose from ocean Balcony, Boardwalk Balcony or interior rooms.

Scooters are not allowed to be parked in hallways. They are a safety hazard and can block the hallways for others, such as those in a wheelchair. People do park them there, but can and will be told to move them. So, to OP don't get a regular cabin and plan to leave scooter in hallway.

Scooters are not allowed to be parked in hallways. They are a safety hazard and can block the hallways for others, such as those in a wheelchair. People do park them there, but can and will be told to move them. So, to OP don't get a regular cabin and plan to leave scooter in hallway.

Good to know! I kinda wondered about that, even the room stewards wouldn't have room to get their carts by. But there were two scooters out in the hallway most of the week.....

We have been on several Oasis class crisis, our favorite ship, and had decided we like deck 8 the best, easy access to Central Park and the promenade a couple of decks below. Not sure about access but have seen people on scooters in the hall ways. You can see the cabin relationship to the elevators on their site. Have a great cruise, know you will on this ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums