Unsold photos

drsel

I refuse to have pics taken because i hate the prints being thrown out.

Recycle is still waste.

1st rule is "reduce".

When i board a ship that does not print any pics. Then i may start taking them again.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

far more the standard now that you view your pics digitally then arrange to print off the ones you want..or just print directly to CD for running off copies at home

I heard that the earth is flat and we are descended from aliens.

A former cruise ship employee who worked in the photo gallery told me.

Well, if you know better, being the Purser; kindly enlighten us all.

Neither you, the OP, or I can provide a better estimate and you can accept whatever number you wish. I choose not to - just my opinion.

I think we can all safely agree that regardless of what the actual percentage is that it is quite high and it's rather useless to quibble over what the actual number might be.

I think we can all safely agree that regardless of what the actual percentage is that it is quite high and it's rather useless to quibble over what the actual number might be.

That is exactly my point!

90 or 99%, it's still a collosal waste, even if recycled. IMHO

.....Then the photos are burned, and the heat captured for hot water for your showers and steam for the laundry and galley.

Unsold color photos have no silver in them. They are also burned to heat water and produce steam.

Cruise ships capture waste heat from the engines to heat water and make steam, but that heat is often insufficient.

The cruise line can choose to burn more fuel to make hot water and steam, but that is expensive and further pollutes the atmosphere.

Burning paper (including photos) waste is less costly, saves fuel, and creates less pollution.

Even better, the photo concession company pays for the photo paper and the cruise line gets the unsold photos for free.

It is not a perfect system, but it makes a lot of sense.

A friend of mine has a company that takes farm waste (poo) and turns it into energy for industrial uses. So crap photos are useful just like the real stuff.;p

Thank you for the very sensible reply.

Many cruise lines have moved to digital photos - removing the need to print so many paper photos that are discarded when not sold.

For those cruise lines that are behind the curve and still printing paper photos:

Unsold black and white photos are first put through a process that removes the silver content from the paper.

Then the photos are burned, and the heat captured for hot water for your showers and steam for the laundry and galley.

Unsold color photos have no silver in them. They are also burned to heat water and produce steam.

Cruise ships capture waste heat from the engines to heat water and make steam, but that heat is often insufficient.

The cruise line can choose to burn more fuel to make hot water and steam, but that is expensive and further pollutes the atmosphere.

Burning paper (including photos) waste is less costly, saves fuel, and creates less pollution.

Even better, the photo concession company pays for the photo paper and the cruise line gets the unsold photos for free.

It is not a perfect system, but it makes a lot of sense.

Hmm. I'm not aware of any shipboard incinerator, other than incineration in a combined incinerator/boiler which I'll deal with in a moment, that captures waste heat. Due to the very tight restrictions on flue gas temperature to operate an incinerator onboard legally, the use of a waste heat heat exchanger is problematic. Now, to get to the case of the combined incinerator/boiler, this is where the waste is burned in the firebox of a boiler that is already burning fuel oil to generate steam, so the very small heat content of trash (compared to fuel oil) is really insignificant compared to the fuel already being burned. Cruise ships generally operate their boilers at all times, in port and at sea, since they typically do not capture waste heat from the diesel exhausts like cargo ships do when at sea. Even stand alone incinerators often need to use an auxiliary diesel burner if the trash is too wet, or of insufficient heat value to maintain the minimum flue gas temperature for complete incineration. Shipboard incineration is not energy efficient, it is simply a way to reduce vast quantities of trash to a more manageable amount of ash that can be deposited ashore.

Chief,

You are falling behind the curve.

Spending too much time on cargo ships and those NCL dinosaurs.

I'm currently on a LNG-powered cruise ship. Things are very much different here.

Welcome to the 21st century.

That must come as a surprise to the shipping industry, as in March of 2017, there were only 103 total ships in the world powered by LNG, and while 40 of those 103 were classified as passenger vessels, they were all either passenger or car/passenger ferries, so your cruise ship would be a first.

And regardless of the fuel used to power your ship, the only technical data I've seen on waste heat reclamation from a shipboard incinerator is using thermoelectric generators, which are semi-conductors that use temperature differences to generate electricity directly, not heat water for hot water or steam. And even the thermoelectric generators are only at a research stage, and are exorbitantly expensive. I believe that, since it is my chosen career, that I do keep up with technical developments in the industry.

Hmm. I'm not aware of any shipboard incinerator, other than incineration in a combined incinerator/boiler which I'll deal with in a moment, that captures waste heat. Due to the very tight restrictions on flue gas temperature to operate an incinerator onboard legally, the use of a waste heat heat exchanger is problematic. Now, to get to the case of the combined incinerator/boiler, this is where the waste is burned in the firebox of a boiler that is already burning fuel oil to generate steam, so the very small heat content of trash (compared to fuel oil) is really insignificant compared to the fuel already being burned. Cruise ships generally operate their boilers at all times, in port and at sea, since they typically do not capture waste heat from the diesel exhausts like cargo ships do when at sea. Even stand alone incinerators often need to use an auxiliary diesel burner if the trash is too wet, or of insufficient heat value to maintain the minimum flue gas temperature for complete incineration. Shipboard incineration is not energy efficient, it is simply a way to reduce vast quantities of trash to a more manageable amount of ash that can be deposited ashore.

Oh Crap! Are you saying that that those crap photos are even more useless than pig poo! :loudcry::loudcry::loudcry:

Edited by DirtyDawg

Oh Crap! Are you saying that that those crap photos are even more useless than pig poo! :loudcry::loudcry::loudcry:

Yep. Given the space limitations, and different sets of regulations, shipboard incinerators cannot take advantage of methods used by land incinerators that convert garbage to energy (all of greater Portland's trash goes to an incinerator to generate electricity). It is also not cost effective to invest in anything that might make shipboard incineration more energy efficient. There is a vast difference between a plant that gets 90+% of its energy from waste, as compared to a ship where less than 1% of the energy would come from waste.

That's not to say that ships are inefficient. While cruise ships generally don't reclaim exhaust gas waste heat (which is a big waste), they do reclaim the waste heat from the engines' cooling water, and use this to heat hot water or generate fresh water from sea water.

Wow, do common folks pay that much???

Princess has a Photo package, if purchased on the cruise it's $249 or $250 (?) for all the photos your cabin takes. If you buy pre cruise you can get it for $199, and they had a special for $99 earlier this year so I purchased the package on two different cruises. We usually don't spend that much on photos, but for $100 I'll see if I can get my money's worth. I would not pay much more than the special I received. We usually buy about 2-3 photos per Holiday cruise and none on other cruises.

I was on an NCL cruise (my second cruise I think), before digital photos. The photos were all printed, and you could select the ones you wanted, if any. It was a real pain to try to locate our photos from the hundreds shown. Anyhow, at one of the cruise game shows, the MC said the prize was a free photo. At the end of the game, the winning team each received an unsold photo from the previous sailing. The MC said "I never said it was going to be your photo."

So the elephant in the digital room is how do they take 1000's of digital photos and save you from searching through all for just yours?

I assume they are using some form of facial recognition software to sort them digitally. We never get photos taken so I don't know how the digital photo gallery actually works.

Sent from my B3-A30 using Forums mobile app

So the elephant in the digital room is how do they take 1000's of digital photos and save you from searching through all for just yours?

I assume they are using some form of facial recognition software to sort them digitally. We never get photos taken so I don't know how the digital photo gallery actually works.

Sent from my B3-A30 using Forums mobile app

On NCL at least, they either swipe your room card or ask you your room number. Then I bet they get sorted by room number, but since we avoided all photos our last cruise, I don't know exactly how that works when reviewing and purchasing them via computer.