Change of itinerary

beloum

We are scheduled for a 11 day southern/eastern Caribbean cruise on Equinox next Monday (9/4). This is our first cruise on Celebrity. With hurricane Irma affecting the area we are to be in, I imagine a change in the itinerary is likely. For you Celebrity veterans, any ideas on possible substitute ports/itinerary?

Sent from my SM-G928V using Forums mobile app

We are scheduled for a 11 day southern/eastern Caribbean cruise on Equinox next Monday (9/4). This is our first cruise on Celebrity. With hurricane Irma affecting the area we are to be in, I imagine a change in the itinerary is likely. For you Celebrity veterans, any ideas on possible substitute ports/itinerary?

No way to predict - will depend on the path of Irma. They could substitute Western Caribbean ports if Irma comes up through the Eastern Caribbean - or they could take you to Bermuda - who knows. Or you might have additional days at sea rather than substitute ports.

Take good care of the ship - we're on the same cruise three weeks later :)

Edited by NantahalaCruiser

Will do. Thanks for the reply. Just wasn't sure if there were certain ports Celebrity was more prone to go to. Thanks again

Hi Beloum. I'm concerned too and also her path my lead up to our coastal area home. Double concern. There is nothing one can do now, as it probably won't affect us for another week; Thursday the 7th. The Captain will make the call. Antigua is the furthest island South on the itinerary. He could change to a Western but the storm could head that way as well. Only Time will Tell; 35 cruises and this is my first in prime hurricane season. Missed one once in November that kept passengers in Aruba overnight. Hope to see you at sail away at the sunset bar on Monday.

Hi Beloum. I'm concerned too and also her path my lead up to our coastal area home. Double concern. There is nothing one can do now, as it probably won't affect us for another week; Thursday the 7th. The Captain will make the call. Antigua is the furthest island South on the itinerary. He could change to a Western but the storm could head that way as well. Only Time will Tell; 35 cruises and this is my first in prime hurricane season. Missed one once in November that kept passengers in Aruba overnight. Hope to see you at sail away at the sunset bar on Monday.

Hi! Yeah, will just have to wait and see, I guess. Was really looking forward to Calabazza in Barbados and Cosol in St Lucia. Oh well. Will make the best of it. When are you guys heading down?

Part of me likes the element of surprise attached to this. I have missed a port due to weather and had a cruise shortened by one day because the ship could not get into port. With this cruise, we could have a totally different itinerary. Whatever happens, Celebrity will take good care of us.

Most of our cruises were in hurricane season and have not had them change the itinerary. One cruise they took us back to Canaveral and had to bus us back to Tampa. Last year our cruise was behind the hurricane and had to dock in Canaveral in the afternoon so we actually got an extra lunch on the ship. We will also be on the 9/4 cruise and hope the most that will happen is that they cruise east and then south to get behind the hurricane if it is still headed in the same direction. It's to early to know if it will change paths and it could still head into the Western Caribbean. Would not mind a detour to Bermuda, as it's been many years since we visited.

We have had a couple of changes over the years on both RC and Celebrity ...missing Grand Cayman twice and Jamaica once. We did not know of any of the changes pre boarding. The Grand Cayman cancellations were both the day before (I guess the Captain felt tendering would be unsafe). The Jamaica change I think we knew a couple of days before...

When we have cruised at this time of year we have always had the philosophy that any island stop or sea day is better than being on a ship heading for a major storm. One of the most bizarre things we ever overheard was a woman ranting at guest services that 'You can't cancel the stop in Jamaica I am picking up some jewellery I have ordered....'. The guest service lady was being so nice, many of us in the queue were trying to pacify her too by offering to email the store, explaining that the Captain could not head into a hurricane.....But she wouldn't have it 'the ship said it was going to Jamaica, it should go to Jamaica!'.

Sincere best wishes to those of you likely to be affected....hope the seas are calm for you and your itinerary remains intact or at least still enjoyable.

Often if there is a change it will be at the last minute. Another port or more could be substituted or you could end up with a sea day.

The worst situation would be if it impacted the port of embarkation/disembarkation.

Odds say all will be good and wishing you a wonderful criuse.

Keith

My husband and I are also going to be on this cruise! I constantly reassure our elderly neighbor that the cruise lines will not sail a multi billion dollar hotel into the path of a hurricane!

That said, it sure makes for an interesting weekend leading up to the trip, right? I've been looking at maps and would love to see us duck above Cuba and do a western and or ABC cruise! But, who knows. We will have a blast regardless. I just tossed an umbrella and rain poncho into the luggage.

My husband and I are also going to be on this cruise! I constantly reassure our elderly neighbor that the cruise lines will not sail a multi billion dollar hotel into the path of a hurricane!

That said, it sure makes for an interesting weekend leading up to the trip, right? I've been looking at maps and would love to see us duck above Cuba and do a western and or ABC cruise! But, who knows. We will have a blast regardless. I just tossed an umbrella and rain poncho into the luggage.

Haha. Great attitude. ABC fine with me as well!

Hope the don't change to Western Carib. These are my least favorite ports. Still plenty of time for them to decide if any changes needed. Would not mind visiting the ABC islands, have not been there for many years. Bermuda for a few days might be nice. Nothing to do but just wait to hear if anything will change.

Hello all...we are booked for Canada/New England on Sunday, Sept 10 and wondering how Irma is going to affect our cruise. And what possible changes could they make on this particular 14day itinerary?

Any thoughts? I realize it will probably Friday before they know the direction of Irma and we leave on Saturday.

My guess is Western Caribbean or a run far south. Panama Canal area would be awesome too. Keep in mind that even if we miss the hurricane, some of the islands we're supposed to visit won't. So even if we avoid the hurricane, doesn't mean we'll actually be able to visit the ports that get hit directly or indirectly by the storm. Regardless, we're on a ship, we'll be protected by the Captain and crew it's going to be a good vacation no matter what. As I tell friends, if you MUST visit any of the destinations on a cruise, fly there instead. No guarantees the ship will make any stop, just go with the flow. This is our 5th or 6th Caribbean cruise in Sept. and the first we've actually hit a hurricane. Bound to happen sooner or later.

Our friends are tour agents in St. Thomas and Allure of the Seas just cancelled her call there. Celebrity Equinox is due there the same day, Thursday 9th, so she is likely to cancel St. Thomas as well.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at1+shtml/024238.shtml?tswind120#contents

RCCL announced a couple of days ago that Allure was changing from an Eastern to Western itinerary. I do agree that it is highly likely thatEquinox won't go to St. Thomas. I expect we will have three sea days and maybe get to Barbados.

Will do. Thanks for the reply. Just wasn't sure if there were certain ports Celebrity was more prone to go to. Thanks again

we are also on that cruise. This is our 94th cruise and we sail this time of year frequently, but never had to worry about a hurricane. If I was to guess, I'd say we may stay further south (Aruba, Panama, Barbados) to avoid the storm. Time will tell. I am concerned about rough seas.