When can we disembark if carrying off our own luggage? (Dumb newbie question!)

If you want to carry off your own luggage then you need to be up & ready early

If you are willing to put your bags out the night before You can get off later

the cruise line will give you a time slot to be ready to disembark

You may want to speak to the Purser & explain the situation with your son so maybe you can avoid the crowds & lines that disembarkation involves

JMO

As per No28's reply.

If you want to carry off all your bags (not just your carry-on, but including those you'd normally check-in) you'll need to do so early. The elevators get crowded on the last morning and if you're weighed down with bags you'll be very unpopular with others. :mad:

If you put your check-in bags outside your cabin on the last night they'll be waiting for you in the terminal next-morning. Then you can be one of the last to disembark, no worries. :)

But that's still quite early, usually around 9.30am (check with the purser's office on-board), so that the ship can be prepped for those joining the ship.

That holds true for most ships & itineraries, with a few exceptions.

JB :)

Earlier the better. Once General disembark has begun there will be more crowded stairwells and elevators.

In fact it would probably be safest for everyone if you went the route of putting them outside the night before and took your time anyway. By then most of the bags will have been picked up, making it easier to find yours and the Customs/immigration lines will start to thin out.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi,

My 8 year old ADHD son and I will be on RC Anthem of the Seas over Thanksgiving. He is VERY difficult to 'get moving' in the mornings. We are in no hurry, I am driving to the port. Can we disembark any time once cleared, or JUST during the early stated timeframe?I

Thank you!

Anthem does self disembark different than other Royal Caribbean ships. There are three different times for self disembark and six different groups. Two groups will be assigned to each of the three times and one of the groups gathers in Two70 and the other in the Royal Theater so each group goes off from their own gangway. The latest of the three groups was from 8 to 8:30am on our last Anthem cruise.

If you think boarding and disembarking are going to be an issue with your son, you might want to contact the special needs department so that they can try to accommodate your son's needs.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/accessibleseas/home.do

Personally I would rethink the self-disembarkation as you would have to take care of all your luggage. If you have a son who's ADHD, maybe it would be better just to put out your luggage the night before (just make sure you keep a change of clothing, toiletries, and valuables for your carry on bags aside before packing everything else).

For the most part, many of those who are doing self-embarkation are physically able to take care of the limited baggage they bring and are usually doing it because of morning flights. If you're not in a hurry, why not do the regular disembarkation and save yourself the extra trouble.

We often sail out of our home port of LA and never do self-embarkation. We are usually off the ship by about 9:30 or so (one time customs and immigration started late and didn't get off until 11...and there were many after us) and we get to our car and on the road. By this time, many are gone off the ship and we can usually find our luggage more easily (it's sorted by the color tag you are given).

You are absolutely correct, it would be easier... I was worried about missing the departure "window". Wasn't quite sure how this all works, but having them handle the luggage makes sense!

Thank you so much for your insights, everyone, not to mention your patience with the "newbie" :)

Edited by LiamsMommy2008
Added information

Seeing that people ask for lower numbers to get off the ship early (due to early flights or long drives home) I assume you could also ask for a higher number with a later disembarkation window. Plus, while they might not let you off the ship early (at least that was our experience with RCCL in FLL) I don't think you will be in trouble if you miss your assigned window, as long as you get off the ship with everybody else (but at 9 am instead of your allotted window of 7.30 am). Your luggage will be waiting for you a bit longer.