Thanks to CC for being here. I needed to get away from Hurricane Irma News!

Hflors

I've noticed a couple of people mentioning Antigua, just to mention luckily they were not too badly hit this time, and the airport is already reopen. It's Barbuda, part of the same nation, which has unfortunately been devastated.

https://antiguaobserver.com/press-release-antigua-avoids-major-damage-with-hurricane-irma/

It took Antigua a full year to recover from Hurricane Marilyn. Cruise ships not allowed to stop there during recovery.

Do cruise ships redo entire itineraries or how does that work? We aren't booked until January.

KCTC, We did a Western Caribbean cruise (HAL Westerdam) in January 2006 (after Wilma in late 2005) and Our ports were adjusted and a new port added: Santo Tomas de Castilla which at that time, was a commercial port and not a Cruise port. They set up temporary Vendor/souvenir shelters and excursions. It ended up being our favorite port (if not the most dangerous at the time) It now is a regular port on some Itineraries. Some of the ports (including Key West) were not fully operational but great efforts had been made to accommodate the the cruise passenger industry. Half Moon Cay had not re-opened yet so another port was added. The Cruise line was very good about updating us before the cruise. I think they wait to assess the damage, how long it will be to rebuild, and adjust the itinerary accordingly.

This coming January 13, 2018, we are sailing Costa Deliziosa. It's a 10 day western Caribbean and I imagine that our ports may change this time too.

So you might be wondering why I am on the HAL forum?? Well, cuz I love this forum and you folks are my GO-TO forum for all things CRUISE!!!!

Do cruise ships redo entire itineraries or how does that work? We aren't booked until January.

We sailed out of Tampa a few years ago -- the first part of the cruise was to be the Western Caribbean. Our first port was Key West and we were scheduled to leave at 6 PM. Finally at 8 PM we sailed away -- but not towards the west. We were heading east. Within a few minutes the captain came on and said that Hurricane Paula was changing our itinerary. We ended up doing an eastern cruise.

Our second part of the cruise was to be an eastern one but our captain was able to get us into a couple of different ports. We only repeated 2 ports.

That was in October.

A friend has a relative with a large home on Tortola that has been totally demolished. The relative is fine. My heart goes out to all who are affected by these disasters, but especially to the poor. Actually, terrible storms are happening all over the world. Approximately 1,200 people have recently drowned in India and Bangladesh. There are eleven states here that have wildfires burning, and there is drought in Italy and other countries. Sorry, this is not cheering up anyone, but people of faith can pray, and everyone can support in other ways.

A friend has a relative with a large home on Tortola that has been totally demolished. The relative is fine. My heart goes out to all who are affected by these disasters, but especially to the poor. Actually, terrible storms are happening all over the world. Approximately 1,200 people have recently drowned in India and Bangladesh. There are eleven states here that have wildfires burning, and there is drought in Italy and other countries. Sorry, this is not cheering up anyone, but people of faith can pray, and everyone can support in other ways.

Makes us count our blessings... and to realize that when we are in crisis others are lifting us up! m--

Hflors I fully recognize your desire to use CC as a refuge . My DML was sick , real sick , a couple of months before leaving on a recent cruise . It was very difficult especially for my DW . I used CC , even in the ER waiting room as a way to get far far away .

So here's to tipping issues , kids running amok and MDR clothing threads . Enjoy them all . ;p

We have gotten to know many people, through cruising, that either live or spend winters in Florida. Watching the wall-to-wall coverage of the hurricane preparations, I am frankly scared to death for everyone down there and praying that it turns out not as bad as anticipated. No wonder the OP came to CC for refuge. May you all stay safe.

VennDiagram - thank you SO much for that website link for the St. Thomas Hurricane page on Facebook. I'm not on Facebook, but other family members are and we were able to glean a great deal of information from it for news of my brother and his wife who are stranded on St. Thomas.

We received a much-needed phone call from them on Friday afternoon. They are safe, but it has been a harrowing experience and they have been left shaken. They had secured their mattress to the window of their room and managed to survive the night that the eye of Irma passed over the island by staying in the closet of their hotel room. When they finally ventured out of their room on Friday around noon, they were stunned by the devastation of St. Thomas, as far as the eye could see. Like walking wounded, they stayed within several blocks of their hotel, and couldn't believe the destruction they witnessed. All the trees and bushes were stripped of vegetation, boats and cars in places they shouldn't be, roofs ripped off, houses destroyed. Fortunately, they met up with a honeymooning couple who had rented a car for their stay, who offered to drive them to another part of the island where they had heard cell coverage (though spotty) was available. That is how we were able to get a call from them. We are so thankful for these kind strangers who shared their transportation with my brother and SIL, they have become fast friends thru this ordeal. As of Fri., they were hoping to get a flight out on Tuesday, but that was dependent on when and if the airport opened.

Today, we received some wonderful news - Norwegian Cruise Lines is sending one of their ships - the Norwegian Sky - to St. Thomas on Monday night, 9/11, to pick up 2000 travelers who were stranded on the island. They will go out into the Gulf where they will remain until Thurs., 9/14 when they hope to disembark their weary travelers at the Port of Miami. I understand that if the port is unable to accommodate them due to damage from Irma, they will continue to sail up the coast to Baltimore to disembark. My brother and his wife were made aware of this by their hotel and were told to pack their bags to be ready to go on Monday night. Of course, they will still have to make their way home to Penna. from either Miami or Baltimore, but they'll cross that bridge when they get to it. Atleast there is a plan in place and the calvary is coming.

Good for you, NCL, for stepping up to the plate and helping with the rescue effort of so many who were affected by Hurricane Irma! If you go on NCL's website and click on their hurricane link, you will see the whole story. Very, very impressed with NCL right about now!

To those yet to experience Hurricane Irma, you are all in my thoughts and prayers.