Thanks to CC for being here. I needed to get away from Hurricane Irma News!

Hflors

Wow, all last night and now this morning. The TV is just loaded with Irma talk. I know we "need to know" what to do and watch for, but my brain is about to explode with info! Not to mention the hype is getting to the "scaring the H*** out of all of us. So I came here to my friends on cc for the latest in Tipping, Gala dress, etc. I need some prospective in my world! ( Did I forget to say I live in SW Florida, probably why the news has nothing but Irma on it)

We live in Florida and evacuated well ahead of Matthew last fall. We did it early so that we could secure a hotel room. Those who waited were sometimes out of luck. I'm not in Florida right now, but wish for safety for all of our loved ones. We pray this storm will go out to sea. When the governor declares a State of Emergency, it will be top of the news, understandably, as it is right now..

Do whatever you need to do to stay safe. If that means leave, then please get out as soon as you can. Much less stress than leaving it to the last minute. Hoping that you will be out of the path of Irma and you can just concentrate on all the cruise news.

Please take this precious time to gather your important items and plan to evacuate.

I live in "fire country" where we don't always get such a long lead-time before evacuations must be made. Use this time wisely!

Take the important "Ps"...

People, and what they need - mobility devices, hearing aids, glasses...

Pets, and what they need including vaccination papers, meds, food

Pills, and all necessary personal meds,

Plastic - credit cards and cash

Phone and charger

Personal computer - run a back-up if you have time

Papers that can't be replaced, although more and more paperwork is electronically available

Prayers go with you all, m--

Wow, all last night and now this morning. The TV is just loaded with Irma talk. I know we "need to know" what to do and watch for, but my brain is about to explode with info! Not to mention the hype is getting to the "scaring the H*** out of all of us. So I came here to my friends on cc for the latest in Tipping, Gala dress, etc. I need some prospective in my world! ( Did I forget to say I live in SW Florida, probably why the news has nothing but Irma on it)

Hflors, we totally understand, espec ially given all we have seen on tv from Houston.

We wish you and yours, safely through whatever part of Irma may hit FLa., of c ourrse, we all hope the m ouuntains of Cu b a coul weaken it but that does not sound likely as they are saying Irma may only brush the northern edge of Cuba... All who may meet face to face witth Irma, stay safe, take no chances and if you can, please let us know you are safe.

Edited by sail7seas

Please take this precious time to gather your important items and plan to evacuate.

I live in "fire country" where we don't always get such a long lead-time before evacuations must be made. Use this time wisely!

Phone and charger

Papers that can't be replaced, although more and more paperwork is electronically available

Great list!

Phone and charger

It is a great list. Thank you for posting it. We are not currently in Tampa, thank goodness, but I would be making preparations now if we were.

As I watch the latest wegther report, it seems Sn Juan is going to hav r to be extremely lucky to not be hit. I love San Juan an send them deepest best wishes Lots of incredible memories from such a great port. Stay safe all in San Juan and Puerto Rico.

As I watch the latest wegther report, it seems Sn Juan is going to hav r to be extremely lucky to not be hit. I love San Juan an send them deepest best wishes Lots of incredible memories from such a great port. Stay safe all in San Juan and Puerto Rico.

I live in the municipality of Carolina, which is just 20 minutes from SJU airport, east of San Juan and I can tell you that people are getting ready for the worst. For days, the news (The national weather service included) have been forecasting a WNW turn that will either not happen or happen to late for us to not get hit. It will truly take an Act of God for us to come unscathed from this, ast least I this part of the island. The way I see it, I see a very similar path to that of hurricane Hugo in '89. But Hugo was a low Cat. 3. This is a BEAST of a storm the likes which has not been seen for generations here.

On the upside, preparations by the people have been amazing. Usually we, as a culture, leave the hurricane shopping frenzy literally until the last day. This time people have been at it since last Friday. Most stores, big and small, have also been better prepared than ever before. But things are starting to run out due to people starting preparations earlier. Right now, finding a pack of D size batteries is the equivalent to hitting the lottery....lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

Stringer,

This, indeed is a frigfhtening storm. Happy people are making preps.

Be safe........... andl rt us know you got through it well when the storm is over.Do you know a time window yet as to when they think the eye will Pass over Sa n Juan? , and St.Thomas USVI?

Stringer,

This, indeed is a frigfhtening storm. Happy people are making preps.

Be safe........... andl rt us know you got through it well when the storm is over.Do you know a time window yet as to when they think the eye will Pass over Sa n Juan? , and St.Thomas USVI?

Apparently, the storm will be closest to St. Thomas in the early morning tomorrow. San Juan should be feeling the worst part around midday. Hopefully it stays its course and passes around 60 miles north of us. But even then, we'll still feel tropical storm conditions at the very least.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

Ready for her in south central Florida. Spending my time planning another cruise, what fancy clothes I'll wear for Gala night, and which pool chairs I'll hog. LOL

How does one get ready for 185 mph sustained winds??? Do you expect your roof to stay on? Are you planning on staying in Florida if it comes right up the peninsula? Having seen the damage done by Camille to the Gulf Coast, I intend to be far away, if possible, when a Cat. 4 or 5 approaches. Please be safe.

How does one get ready for 185 mph sustained winds??? Do you expect your roof to stay on? Are you planning on staying in Florida if it comes right up the peninsula? Having seen the damage done by Camille to the Gulf Coast, I intend to be far away, if possible, when a Cat. 4 or 5 approaches. Please be safe.
We will head north if it approaches. Have several places to stay. Not dumb enough to wait it out. Thank you for your concern...appreciate it. I was posting silly stuff to get his mind off the hurricane.

We will head north if it approaches. Have several places to stay. Not dumb enough to wait it out. Thank you for your concern...appreciate it. I was posting silly stuff to get his mind off the hurricane.

Whew! Glad to hear it. This has the makings of a very bad hurricane. We are presently in our N. Ga. mountain home - and very glad of it! I suspect the 75 and 95 are going to be packed, bumper to bumper.

Last summer I was taken to task and my intelligence questioned in a thread that wondered why Hal didn't have summer Caribbean cruises when I listed hurricanes and other strong, seasonal storms as a consideration. I just looked at the weather-sat videos, and the gulf is all shades of red and orange again, that RC ship may still be at sea after Harvey, and Irma is going to wreak havoc on the Eastern Caribbean and more. There's no last laughs in this one...but maybe a "told you so".

And I'm wondering if Maasdam will sail out of Boston Saturday and if so, will it be able to stop in Fort Lauderdale on Wed., Sep 13 to pick up the passengers boarding there? There are a whole lot people waiting to board in San Diego for a 55 day cruise to Australia.

NO way to know yet. We'll have to se e wha the3 storm does as the time gets closer. There are worse places to wait for one's ship to come in than San Diego. Hope all goes smooothly, paticularly for those in the path of Irma. So far, It does not seem as though it is likely to come to Boston.

I guess I just meant that it may have some pretty rough weather trying to get from Boston through the Caribbean. This is a Category 5 hurricane, the intensity of which is 500 times that of a Category 1 and twice the intensity of a Category 4. It's also a very wide storm. I'm due to board Wed. the 13th in Fort Lauderdale.

I guess I just meant that it may have some pretty rough weather trying to get from Boston through the Caribbean. This is a Category 5 hurricane, the intensity of which is 500 times that of a Category 1 and twice the intensity of a Category 4. It's also a very wide storm. I'm due to board Wed. the 13th in Fort Lauderdale.

Yes. Category 5 is quite frightening.