what is carnival doing?

rakchevy

I bet that that is not what they're doing. They perhaps are doing a bit of wait-and-see, to determine whether to cancel versus delay embarkation. We saw them release a statement yesterday that was so ridiculously flawed in its structure and wording that it is clearly evident that they're not taking enough time to do the work properly and rushing too much.

They're also probably paying a lot more attention to the needs of their passengers already at sea, many of whom have homes that are in the path of the storm, which have not be properly prepared. Trying to find a way to get those passengers home safely may be a far more important priority than working out the arrangements for the passengers on the next scheduled voyages of the ships.

My view is more of a business one dealing with the financial end. If people cancel before CCL makes a final decision, CCL keeps the profits. No revenue lost on their end. This is bad for the ones who even with insurance won't get refunds if CCL doesn't cancel. One of my party is in this situation. Fortunately, the travel insurance I purchased allows me to cancel for any reason up until the day of embarkation with a full refund. This insurance will cover what CCL doesn't. So, I waiting to see if CCL will offer us a credit towards a future cruise or shorten our trip. When Friday comes and IF CCL hasn't made a decision, I know the call I'll be making.

My view is more of a business one dealing with the financial end. If people cancel before CCL makes a final decision, CCL keeps the profits. No revenue lost on their end.
If it was me, I wouldn't cancel until the day of the cruise. According to the policy, there is no difference in terms of compensation to the passenger between 14 days prior to sailing and the day of your cruise.

Someone could make a fortune selling tin foil hats to some of the people posting in this forum recently.
I think it is more a matter that our society has strongly indoctrinated many people into a generalized paranoia verging on hatred of big companies, and so that "releases their imaginations" with regard to why those companies do the things they do the way they do them.

If it was me, I wouldn't cancel until the day of the cruise. According to the policy, there is no difference in terms of compensation to the passenger between 14 days prior to sailing and the day of your cruise.

Is that because you are from Georgia and can drive as opposed to those that have to fly?

It's just been reported that American Airlines LAST flight OUT of Miami is Friday at 3:45 p.m.

Why on earth should people be being flying in on Friday hoping their cruise isn't cancelled.

Is that because you are from Georgia and can drive as opposed to those that have to fly?
No. It is because there is no difference in terms of what you get from the cruise line between 14 days prior to sailing and the day of your cruise, and the later you wait before cancelling the more likely that you'll avoid the situation that ready set cruise outlined.

Why on earth should people be being flying in on Friday hoping their cruise isn't cancelled.
Several people have speculated that Carnival might be considering delaying their Saturday embarkations to Monday rather than cancelling those cruises.

No. It is because there is no difference in terms of what you get from the cruise line between 14 days prior to sailing and the day of your cruise, and the later you wait before cancelling the more likely that you'll avoid the situation that ready set cruise outlined.

Several people have speculated that Carnival might be considering delaying their Saturday embarkations to Monday rather than cancelling those cruises.

Even with the speculation that Carnival is considering "delaying" cruise until Monday, it still doesn't make sense for people to attempt to fly into South Florida within the next few days. Aren't the projection for the worst to be Sat./Sunday now?

So far that I have seen, they have been giving people 48 hours notice of the status of their cruise. Seems reasonable with such an unpredictable situation. They have called my cell phone, my house phone, texted me, and posted online the same consistent message. They will notify me 48 hours before my cruise of its status.

Their policy has also be very consistent. Canceled cruises receive a cruise credit that must be booked within 60 days. Delayed embarkation, if you choose to still go on the sailing, receives prorated credit for cruise fare, gratuities, port fees, and beverage packages as a sail & sign credit.

Even with the speculation that Carnival is considering "delaying" cruise until Monday, it still doesn't make sense for people to attempt to fly into South Florida within the next few days.
I'm sure that the authorities will ensure that no one flies into South Florida after they determine that people should not do so. Regardless, the point is that if the speculation I mentioned is correct, then passengers will be faced with determining if there is a way for them to get to the port by Monday.

As many others have pointed out over the last two weeks, getting to and from the ports isn't any part of the cruise line's purview. Despite that, I bet the cruise lines will be quite generous with regard to folks who cannot, offering far more than they are obligated to, perhaps even FCC for the full amount of their cruise fare. I also predict that their generous offers will be regarded as less than generous by some people.

I'm sure that the authorities will ensure that no one flies into South Florida after they determine that people should not do so. Regardless, the point is that if the speculation I mentioned is correct, then passengers will be faced with determining if there is a way for them to get to the port by Monday.

As many others have pointed out over the last two weeks, getting to and from the ports isn't any part of the cruise line's purview. Despite that, I bet the cruise lines will be quite generous with regard to folks who cannot, offering far more than they are obligated to, perhaps even FCC for the full amount of their cruise fare. I also predict that their generous offers will be regarded as less than generous by some people.

LOL your last sentence is 💯 % correct. Some people won't be happy no matter what they receive, because "their" vacation was "ruined ".

MCO might have needlessly messed up a lot of people's plans prematurely. Yesterday they posted a notice that the airport would be closed this weekend. Now they've backpedaled, saying instead that they're monitoring the situation, so perhaps they'll be open late enough to support some cruise embarkations from Port Canaveral that would have been unreachable for passengers flying to the port under the earlier notice. That reminds me of the silliness with Carnival's statement that was practically incomprehensible. It seems like everyone is rushing to put out information before they're ready to do so and making mistakes.

They're doing what they can do, I feel bad for all of the staff trapped on the ship :( This is the latest from the website:

Hurricane Irma Update

weather update 9/06/2017 – 5:30 PM (EDT)

We have been closely monitoring Hurricane Irma, a category 5 storm in the Caribbean. Given the projected path of the storm, the following cruises have been cancelled:

Carnival Liberty – September 7

Carnival Victory – September 8

A full refund will be automatically processed, including Fly2Fun reservations, pre-purchased Carnival Adventures, Fun Shop purchases and beverage packages. The refund will be processed to your original form of payment within three weeks.

While it is difficult to predict the storm’s path with complete certainty, at this point, it is expected that the storm will impact South and Central Florida in the next several days. The safety and security of our guests and crew are our first priority and our ships will remain a safe distance away from the storm at all times.

We remain in constant contact with port officials regarding potential port closures in South and Central Florida. Given the uncertainty of the storm’s impact, we expect that we may have to shorten the duration of certain cruises scheduled to depart this weekend. In order to provide the most accurate information, we will confirm any changes to our departures no later than 48 hours prior to the sailing date.

Listed below are our sailings from Central and South Florida:

Carnival Paradise – September 7

Will depart from Tampa on Thursday, as scheduled. We are still evaluating the ability to call on Havana, as scheduled, and will notify our guests if any modifications are needed at embarkation tomorrow.

Carnival Sensation – September 7

Will depart Miami on Thursday, as scheduled. Our call on Key West will be canceled and guests will enjoy an extended stay in Cozumel.

Carnival Conquest – September 9

Carnival Glory – September 9

Carnival Magic – September 9

Carnival Splendor – September 9

Carnival Vista – September 9

Carnival Freedom– September 9

Carnival Ecstasy– September 9

We are still evaluating the potential impact the storm may have on our scheduled itineraries and will provide an update on Thursday at 1:00 PM.

Carnival Liberty – September 10

Carnival Fascination – September 10

Carnival Pride – September 10

Carnival Dream – September 10

We are still evaluating the potential impact the storm may have on this sailing and will provide an update on Friday at 1:00 PM.

Carnival Sensation – September 11

Carnival Victory – September 11

Carnival Paradise – September 11

Our intention is to depart on Monday, as scheduled. We will confirm our plans on Saturday at 1:00 PM.

Guests who sail on shortened cruises will receive a pro-rated refund of their cruise fare. Additionally, anyone who purchased our beverage packages will also receive a pro-rated adjustment. These refunds will be processed to the original form of payment within three weeks. Pre-purchased Carnival Adventures for cancelled ports, as well as any taxes, fees and port expenses will be refunded to your onboard Sail & Sign account. Gratuities will also be adjusted to reflect the shortened duration.

At this point, we have not changed the duration of any of our cruises. However, should that occur, and you decide to cancel because your cruise duration has changed, you may do so and receive a future cruise credit in the amount paid, by calling 1-800 CARNIVAL, your Personal Vacation Planner or your travel professional.

We will continue to closely monitor Hurricane Irma’s forecasted track and encourage you to come back for further updates and sign up for text alerts by texting the codes below to CRUISE (278473).

Carnival Paradise – CCL1

Carnival Conquest – CCL2

Carnival Glory – CCL3

Carnival Magic – CCL4

Carnival Splendor – CCL5

Carnival Vista – CCL6

Carnival Liberty – CCL7

Carnival Victory 9/11 – CCL8

Carnival Sensation 9/07 – CCL9

Carnival Sensation 9/11 – CCL10

Carnival Ecstasy – CCL11

Carnival Freedom – CCL12

Carnival Dream – CCL13

Carnival Pride – CCL14

Carnival Fascination – CCL15

Carnival Paradise 9/11 – CCL16

We sincerely apologize for the disruption Hurricane Irma has caused and we look forward to welcoming our guests on board.

So far that I have seen, they have been giving people 48 hours notice of the status of their cruise. Seems reasonable with such an unpredictable situation. They have called my cell phone, my house phone, texted me, and posted online the same consistent message. They will notify me 48 hours before my cruise of its status.

Their policy has also be very consistent. Canceled cruises receive a cruise credit that must be booked within 60 days. Delayed embarkation, if you choose to still go on the sailing, receives prorated credit for cruise fare, gratuities, port fees, and beverage packages as a sail & sign credit.

THIS! 48 hours is reasonable notice - hurricanes are notoriously un-predictable. Carnival with Harvey showed that if passengers had cancelled flights etc that they were not holding them to the cruise. And everyone has gotten 48 hours notice so someone flying in a day in advance has time to plan.

Someone could make a fortune selling tin foil hats to some of the people posting in this forum recently.

Totally agree--how would any of these people like to make a decision that affects tens of thousands of people?

Cancel cruises, hurricane goes in a different direction, you look like an idiot.

Don't cancel cruises, hurricane goes in a different direction, affects ships, then Carnival is just looking to make money.

They can't win, and than goodness they usually decide right--as much inconvenience as that causes.

Here it is:

Here then is the latest news.

PLEASE SHARE WITH ONE PERSON WHO YOU MAY KNOW IS SAILING OVER THIS PERIOD.

Hurricane Irma

Weather Update – 09/07/17 – 1:00PM (EDT)

We have been closely monitoring Hurricane Irma, a category 5 storm in the Caribbean. Given the projected path of the storm, the following cruises have been cancelled:

Carnival Liberty – September 7

Carnival Victory – September 8

Carnival Splendor – September 9

Carnival Liberty – September 10

A full refund will be automatically processed, including Fly2Fun reservations, pre-purchased Carnival Adventures, Fun Shop purchases and beverage packages. The refund will be processed to your original form of payment within three weeks.

While it is difficult to predict the storm’s path with complete certainty, at this point, it is expected that the storm will impact South and Central Florida in the next several days. The safety and security of our guests and crew are our first priority and our ships will remain a safe distance away from the storm at all times.

We remain in constant contact with port officials regarding potential port closures. Given the uncertainty of the storm’s impact, we expect that we may have to shorten the duration of certain cruises scheduled to depart this weekend.

Carnival Paradise – September 7

Will depart from Tampa today. Guests will be informed of our itinerary this afternoon.

Carnival Sensation – September 7

Will depart Miami today, as scheduled. Our call to Key West is canceled and guests will enjoy an extended stay in Cozumel.

Carnival Conquest – September 9

Now scheduled to depart Miami on September 12 on a 4 day cruise to Cozumel.

Carnival Glory – September 9

Now scheduled to depart Miami on September 12 on a 4 day cruise to Cozumel.

Carnival Magic – September 9

Now scheduled to depart Port Canaveral on September 13 on a 3 day cruise to Nassau (pending port confirmation).

Carnival Vista – September 9

Now scheduled to depart Miami on September 12 on a 5 day two port Western Caribbean cruise to Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

Carnival Freedom – September 9

Will depart Galveston on September 9 on a three port Western Caribbean cruise to Mahogany Bay, Belize and Cozumel.

Carnival Ecstasy – September 9

We will depart Charleston on September 9 to operate a two port cruise to the Bahamas. We are hopeful that we will be able to offer a two Bahamian port itinerary (Freeport, Nassau or Half Moon Cay). Since we are unable to confirm the itinerary at this time, guests may elect to cancel and receive a future cruise credit. Guests wishing to sail will receive a 25% future cruise credit based on the fare paid for this cruise.

Carnival Dream – September 10

Will depart New Orleans on September 10 to operate a three port Western Caribbean cruise to Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

Carnival Pride – September 10

We will depart Baltimore on September 10 on a cruise to Canada/New England. Itinerary details will be confirmed today at 6:00 PM. Given the significant itinerary deviation, guests may elect to cancel and receive a future cruise credit. Guests wishing to sail will receive a 25% future cruise credit based on the fare paid for this cruise.

Carnival Fascination – September 10

We will confirm our plans for this cruise on Friday at 1:00 PM.

Carnival Sensation – September 11

Will now depart on September 13 for a 3 day cruise to Nassau.

Carnival Victory – September 11

Will now depart on September 12 for a 3 day cruise to Nassau.

Carnival Paradise – September 11

Will depart on Monday, as scheduled; itinerary remains unchanged.

Guests who sail on shortened cruises will receive a pro-rated refund of their cruise fare. Additionally, anyone who pre-purchased our beverage packages will also receive a pro-rated adjustment. These refunds will be to the original form of payment within three weeks. Pre-purchased Carnival Adventures for cancelled ports, as well as any taxes, fees and port expenses will be refunded to your onboard Sail & Sign account. Gratuities will also be adjusted to reflect the shortened duration.

Unless specifically noted above, there is no compensation for itinerary modifications for cruises that maintained the same duration. Guests who decide to cancel because their cruise duration has changed, will receive a future cruise credit in the amount paid. Please call 1-800 CARNIVAL, your Personal Vacation Planner or your travel professional.

I know lots of you have been waiting for this news and obviously it has taken a lot of planning. I will be here should you have any comments and questions and lets hope that everyone in the path of the storm are safe.

Best wishes to you all

Here it is:
Okay so it looks very much like what we thought it would look like after yesterday's poorly-worded statement was posted. Only three night cruises were cancelled, and longer cruises are just delayed.