Half Moon Cay

eldercruser

It looks to me that the current direction of Irma will take the storm right over HMC and Cat Island (where most of the HMC employees live). I have seen little discussion about the consequences for the Bahamas, except that 15 to 20 feet storm surges are expected as well as the devastating winds.

HMC has always managed to survive and rebuild after past storms. This may be one too many. Hope I am wrong.

It looks to me that the current direction of Irma will take the storm right over HMC and Cat Island (where most of the HMC employees live). I have seen little discussion about the consequences for the Bahamas, except that 15 to 20 feet storm surges are expected as well as the devastating winds.

HMC has always managed to survive and rebuild after past storms. This may be one too many. Hope I am wrong.

The HMC skeleton live-in crew, as well as the horses, will be removed to Eleuthera Island to ride out the storm. HMC itself will more than likely be out of commission for a while based on what Sint Maarten now looks like :(

Thank you, Copper. I did love those chickens! I imagine Irma will carry them to that great henhouse in the sky!

There's always the possibility that the HMC crew will scoop up those chickens and put them on the Half Moon Clipper to Eleuthera also

It still looks like the path of the eye will be well south of Little San Salvador Island, but it's a very broad storm and very strong! The island will get impacts from at least tropical storm strength winds, maybe higher, plus high rain fall, tornado watches for the outer storm bands, high waters form both rain and storm surge.... not the very worst but still bad. The location of the island being in the NE quadrant of the outer reaches of the storm as the storm eye passes to the south will bring high impacts, so distance from the island to the eye will be the key factor, the further south the eye, the better for the island.

m--

The HMC skeleton live-in crew, as well as the horses, will be removed to Eleuthera Island to ride out the storm. HMC itself will more than likely be out of commission for a while based on what Sint Maarten now looks like :(

St. Maarten took just about a direct hit while HMC is not quite in the cone of possibility. That doesn't mean the storm won't affect it, especially since it will be on the "bad" side of the hurricane.

St. Maarten took just about a direct hit while HMC is not quite in the cone of possibility. That doesn't mean the storm won't affect it, especially since it will be on the "bad" side of the hurricane.

Yep; problem with/on HMC is finding shelter for crew that is not in danger of being blown away and/or destroyed

Yep; problem with/on HMC is finding shelter for crew that is not in danger of being blown away and/or destroyed

I thought the crew left at the end of the day but guess some have to live there to care for the horses, etc. Doesn't look great for many of the islands we've visited with HAL: Grand Turk, HMC, San Juan, Tortola, St. Thomas, Tortola, St. Barts, and, of course, Key West. Not to mention damage at Port Everglades and/or Tampa.

Edited by innlady1

I thought the crew left at the end of the day but guess some have to live there to care for the horses, etc. Doesn't look great for many of the islands we've visited with HAL: Grand Turk, HMC, San Juan, Tortola, St. Thomas, Tortola, St. Barts, and, of course, Key West. Not to mention damage at Port Everglades and/or Tampa.

The way HMC works "in season" when ships, if not HAL, Carnival, are calling is that a skeleton crew remains/sleeps on the island, i.e. to take care of the horses like you said.

The majority of the crew you see on HMC when a HAL/Carnival ship arrives, gets transported in during early morning and back in the afternoon (after the ship(s) leave) from/to nearby Eleuthera Island (an approx. 2 hr boat ride).

The "transport boat" used for this is the Half Moon Clipper, the same boat that comes alongside your cruise ship in the morning in order to transport BBQ food, drinks, supplies, etc. to/from the island. The island tenders; Henry Hudson, Anne Bonny, Stingray and the Rookie, along with some smaller boats all stay "parked" inside the island's marina overnight

Half Moon Clipper

21830257611_3645f589a9.jpg

Watching the news & seeing the damage, I think some of the ports of call for the winter cruise season might be changed. There is going to have to be major rebuilding going on for awhile. I wish everybody on the islands all the best.

Allan

My sister lives on St. John; have not heard from her or her friends yet. But on a site that residents are checking in on, they are saying so far no serious injuries reported and using terms like complete devastation on island. But residents on parts of island not heard from yet.

We did a tour of the island earlier this year which turned out way more interesting and informative than I anticipated... many of the crew have to endure a 2-hour boat trip each way every day, but there are living quarters for quite a few who have to stay on the island.

There's always the possibility that the HMC crew will scoop up those chickens and put them on the Half Moon Clipper to Eleuthera also

Like what Key West is doing. Awesome!!

Key West Finest is with Greg Alford and 32 others.

CHICKEN EVACUATION

Gotta love the people in Key West! Thank you to Local Selfie Celeb @Jayesh Mani for doing what the rest of us only wished for! 1f499.png💙1f334.png🌴1f413.png🐓#onlyinkeywest

21371159_10155794149588958_9013589173090391644_n.jpg?oh=e6f0da81f8a7560b1adf04d1ae829887&oe=5A5AD532

While watching the Port Nassau this afternoon and listening to the music, the announcer came on the air with an all clear announcement for parts of the Bahamas including Providence Island. I have not observed any impact that Irma had on Nassau when watching the web cam and I am thinking that Half Moon Cay probably came through this horrific event OK as well. I hope.