Hurricane Irma

tiba99

da6aacd103735177d73652c5c558dced.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When you look at the resorts you can totally understand why they can't be bringing vacationers to St. Maarten. Sunwing brings vacationers to the AI resorts... Sonesta properties on St. Maarten and the St. Martin resorts as well.

To me from what I have seen and heard the French side has more of the catastrophic devastation.

We consider it one island as we go back and forth on it but islanders seem to know much less about the news and goings on in " the other side " of the island than we do. Many times we have updated friends on the French side about what we hear and see on the Dutch side during our visits. The island is so small so it is rather odd to us.

Edited by Karysa

Here's the video.

gary

Thanks for the video link. Feel terrible for the people of St. Marteen. We are supposed to stop there in May - I don't see it happening though. I've been there a couple of times and it really is one my favorites. Hopefully they can rebuild and soon so we can contribute our cruise dollars.

Looks like most of the stores on Front St survived fairly intact. I assume this was before the Dutch marines landed given the looting filmed.

Seeing the video of Front Street is what has given me a little glimmer of hope for the island. The port didn't seem too bad either given the fact that there was a category 5 hurricane last week so supply ships and then ships with merchandise shouldn't be that far off.

CNN just reported that the roads are impassible and yet there are videos posted of Grand Case and Cupecoy via car, and those are the ones that I have seen.

I'm not a video poster in case you are wondering.

People getting around with ATVs and motorbikes maybe. Assuming they have some fuel.

People getting around with ATVs and motorbikes maybe. Assuming they have some fuel.

No in the videos regular cars are passing each other

Just saw one from Porto cupecoy thru Cupecoy to the Med school

In most places on the two lane st only one car could get through at a time but they were passable.

DH just spoke to a friend who said that her big issue about getting out of her neighbor hood is the military road blocks, rules and curfews. I'm not saying they are not necessary as clearly order is needed. That is different than what the CNN reporter said though.

I can't imagine St. Maarten opens up anytime soon. Probably not until January or February. Depending on time & schedules, I have to imagine that St. Kitts, Grand Turk & San Juan will absorb any rescheduled itineraries. This includes any stops that were supposed to happen in St. Thomas.

No in the videos regular cars are passing each other

Just saw one from Porto cupecoy thru Cupecoy to the Med school

In most places on the two lane st only one car could get through at a time but they were passable.

DH just spoke to a friend who said that her big issue about getting out of her neighbor hood is the military road blocks, rules and curfews. I'm not saying they are not necessary as clearly order is needed. That is different than what the CNN reporter said though.

I would tend to trust the word of a local on the ground before any media.

I can't imagine St. Maarten opens up anytime soon. Probably not until January or February. Depending on time & schedules, I have to imagine that St. Kitts, Grand Turk & San Juan will absorb any rescheduled itineraries. This includes any stops that were supposed to happen in St. Thomas.

How about Antigua, Dominica and St. Lucia? San Juan gets lots of ships already so perhaps they have their hands full right now.

With so many people having drink packages etc I don't think sea days are as lucrative as before unless they have lots of gamblers and shoppers on board, but from reading cc there are lots of budget minded cruisers as well these days so I'm sure the cruise lines are weighing their options carefully.

For those sailing NCL this is the update:

We are working with our partners to assess impacts to the ports we visit in the Eastern Caribbean. Currently, we have changed all of our Eastern Caribbean itineraries to Western‎ Caribbean cruises for the next two months. As it's still early, we will continue to keep in close contact with our partners on the ground and have the flexibility to alter future itineraries to ensure a great guest experience, if needed.

For those sailing NCL this is the update:

We are working with our partners to assess impacts to the ports we visit in the Eastern Caribbean. Currently, we have changed all of our Eastern Caribbean itineraries to Western‎ Caribbean cruises for the next two months. As it's still early, we will continue to keep in close contact with our partners on the ground and have the flexibility to alter future itineraries to ensure a great guest experience, if needed.

Thanks. That makes sense.

High season when docking space is at a premium is when things will get more complicated. Oh and if a hurricane affects the western ports as well. Lots of unknowns here.

How about Antigua, Dominica and St. Lucia? San Juan gets lots of ships already so perhaps they have their hands full right now.

With so many people having drink packages etc I don't think sea days are as lucrative as before unless they have lots of gamblers and shoppers on board, but from reading cc there are lots of budget minded cruisers as well these days so I'm sure the cruise lines are weighing their options carefully.

I don't think any of the 7 day itineraries could make it down to those islands considering how far south they are. Maybe Antigua as it's the closest. I'm leaning towards them switching to Western if there's space. But some will likely have to change to Bahamas, Grand Turk or St. Kitts.

Westjet is flying 'rescue flights' to/from St. Maarten.

Link

gary

Seeing the video of Front Street is what has given me a little glimmer of hope for the island. The port didn't seem too bad either given the fact that there was a category 5 hurricane last week so supply ships and then ships with merchandise shouldn't be that far off.

Thanks for the link to the video. While the buildings look intact, the amount of debris on the streets is concerning. There is a lot of corrugated steel that looks like it would be from the roof tops and that probably means a lot of water intrusion and the inside of those buildings could be far worse than it looks from the outside. There may really only be a shell in many cases. Some buildings may require a lot more than just cleaning up.

Their main issue will be getting supplies in to make the needed repairs. Being an island, they have to bring in 100% of what they need. Some people may decide not to rebuild and move on. I had read a story about an American that was living on the island owning a restaurant. She lost everything and decided to just move back to the United States. Who will be there to clean up what is left of what she had? Many foreign property owners may decide the same fate for their properties. In the end, it will be local authorities that have to clean up the mess, and that could be years in the future.

I really hope that the island can start taking cruise passengers soon, they will need the revenue. It will be a long uphill climb for them to get back on their feet.

Thanks for the link to the video. While the buildings look intact, the amount of debris on the streets is concerning. There is a lot of corrugated steel that looks like it would be from the roof tops and that probably means a lot of water intrusion and the inside of those buildings could be far worse than it looks from the outside. There may really only be a shell in many cases. Some buildings may require a lot more than just cleaning up.

Their main issue will be getting supplies in to make the needed repairs. Being an island, they have to bring in 100% of what they need. Some people may decide not to rebuild and move on. I had read a story about an American that was living on the island owning a restaurant. She lost everything and decided to just move back to the United States. Who will be there to clean up what is left of what she had? Many foreign property owners may decide the same fate for their properties. In the end, it will be local authorities that have to clean up the mess, and that could be years in the future.

I really hope that the island can start taking cruise passengers soon, they will need the revenue. It will be a long uphill climb for them to get back on their feet.

I know restaurant owners that rent both their restaurants and their homes. For these people it's easier to just leave and start over somewhere else.

For others, born islanders or those who love the island leaving isn't as easy of an option or as easy on the heart.

Of course people may leave, islanders and business owners and there will be those that move there for the rebuild and some who are in buying mode as well. A discussion for another website I suppose.

As others post, it may well be that 'regular' cruise ships will be able to dock within weeks but the island infrastructure is a whole different story. Dutch Red Cross and Government are reporting 90% of buildings are damaged in the Dutch sector with a third destroyed. Also that this is less damage than the French sector.

Red Cross say they anticipate need to provide emergency aid -- shelter , food and water for many families for 3 to 6 months. The next phase is rebuilding schools, hospitals and so forth. Private businesses are another matter.

Good point about ability to handle cruise ship capacity numbers ashore too. There are currently 6 cruise ships with over 17,000 passengers listed to dock on December 26th, for example. Perhaps there will be a gradual redeployment?

Dutch Red Cross and Government are reporting 90% of buildings are damaged in the Dutch sector with a third destroyed. Also that this is less damage than the French sector. Red Cross say they anticipate need to provide emergency aid -- shelter , food and water for many families for 3 to 6 months. The next phase is rebuilding schools, hospitals and so forth. Private businesses are another matter. Good point about ability to handle cruise ship capacity numbers ashore too. There are currently 6 cruise ships with over 17,000 passengers listed to dock on December 26th, for example. Perhaps there will be a gradual redeployment?

Appreciate reading these very specific details and this follow-up. Hoping for the best in Florida and especially for those in the affected areas of the Caribbean. Keep sharing such information and background. We do not have an upcoming Caribbean trip planned, but loved what we saw and did in some of these affected areas during our 2015 trip there. Lovely areas and people.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 187,008 views for this posting.

Received email from Viking Ocean Cruise to those of us who have St. Martin as a port of call. They are assessing the situation with local governments and local partners. Their ships will be in the Caribbean from Oct - March. I hope we can visit this port of call to St. Martin on March 28, 2018 and do our part to contribute to the local economy.