Hurricane Irma

tiba99

I would think so. The life blood of the island is tourism. If not the cruise line will substitute another island.

Personally I want to book the first cruise and spend like crazy there just to try and help out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Such a perfect reply.:hearteyes:

You think the cruise lines will change the itinerary?!

If it is not safe to dock or tender - or safe to be on land - then I would not be surprised to see them cancel for the next at least few weeks until the island is at least slightly back. The cruise lines are going to act in the interest of safety for their passengers. Looting has been going on in the shops - I can only imagine the danger tourists from fancy cruise ships would be in.

I know the islands need the money, but at the same time, they don't need disaster gawkers wandering around getting in the way of the massive work that needs to be done.

I've never seen or heard any official of any Caribbean island say that cruise passengers should avoid their island, if they have decided to open their island's port for port calls. If their cruise port is open for business it is a clear and compelling signal that they appreciate passenger visits (or vi$it$, if you prefer). If they want to keep the island clear for the massive work that needs to be done, they need only not open the cruise port for port calls.

Perspective.

Even in Florida it may take a few weeks to get all power back up.

In Puerto Rico the estimate is six months.

This Island was hit worse then Florida as the strength of the Hurricane was weakened in Cuba although obviously a very powerful storm by the time it hit Florida.

Keith

Perspective. Even in Florida it may take a few weeks to get all power back up. In Puerto Rico the estimate is six months. This Island was hit worse then Florida as the strength of the Hurricane was weakened in Cuba although obviously a very powerful storm by the time it hit Florida.
That, and there were places in Puerto Rico that they were already having problems keeping the infrastructure running.

Puerto Rico’s Blackout and National Resilience

I've never seen or heard any official of any Caribbean island say that cruise passengers should avoid their island, if they have decided to open their island's port for port calls. If their cruise port is open for business it is a clear and compelling signal that they appreciate passenger visits (or vi$it$, if you prefer). If they want to keep the island clear for the massive work that needs to be done, they need only not open the cruise port for port calls.

I agree. The last thing that the island needs is bad press. In other words cruisers or vacationers robbed by gunpoint or worse! The cruise lines don't want this either.

They probably will start slow. One or two ships at a time. At least that's what I would think.

Perspective.

Even in Florida it may take a few weeks to get all power back up.

In Puerto Rico the estimate is six months.

This Island was hit worse then Florida as the strength of the Hurricane was weakened in Cuba although obviously a very powerful storm by the time it hit Florida.

Keith

Even Puerto Rico got hit bad that is another stop I am doing! This is getting worse and worse for me now! All the three stops that I'm doing next year got hit with hurricane Irma! Turks, Puerto Rico and at. Martain! I'm just hoping if the cruise lines are stoping there I hope there is a beach I can do too!

We have San Juan, St Thomas and St Maarten scheduled in March. I expect to make San Juan but less sure of the others especially St Maarten. We're reworking our trip budget to allow more cash for the affected areas. I'd much rather put it in the hands of a small business owner than some mega-foundation.

Physically, the piers at St Maarten appear to be able to handle ships now. But the infrastructure of the island could be down for a long time.

I agree. The last thing that the island needs is bad press. In other words cruisers or vacationers robbed by gunpoint or worse! The cruise lines don't want this either.

They probably will start slow. One or two ships at a time. At least that's what I would think.

What are your friends there telling you about reports of looting and general thuggery coming out of St Maarten? The media has bad twin habits of sensationalism and exaggeration so it's best, I think, to go to the source whenever possible.

What are your friends there telling you about reports of looting and general thuggery coming out of St Maarten? The media has bad twin habits of sensationalism and exaggeration so it's best, I think, to go to the source whenever possible.

My husband accidentally reached a man on Friday who was working in the radio station. He had been there since before the storm. He said that 60 cars showed up in the parking lot of the Cash and Carry and looted the place.

I also heard that the medical students were told to join in looting the new small express grocery store in the Jordan Village area of Cupecoy.

Yesterday a friend told DH that she had heard of the looting but that she had not seen or heard of any shootings or deaths due to the looting and robberies. She seemed perfectly fine and calm my DH said. She told us that her house had water damage but that was it.

Our contacts have all come from the Dutch side so far.

I think that there are a couple things to remember about St. Maarten. It's a small island and there is the Dutch side and the French side. With the amount of government $ and resources needed, I don't think that this can be overstated.

We have plans to go back over new year's but I won't go if I didn't feel that I would be safe. We just came back on Aug 20th so memories are very fresh as to what it use to look like. That first visit back will be very bitter sweet.

Edited by Karysa

Even Puerto Rico got hit bad that is another stop I am doing! This is getting worse and worse for me now! All the three stops that I'm doing next year got hit with hurricane Irma! Turks, Puerto Rico and at. Martain! I'm just hoping if the cruise lines are stoping there I hope there is a beach I can do too!

If you can switch without penalty then you should do so. Your post is all about you and these islands need visitors who will give a little thought to them.

My husband accidentally reached a man on Friday who was working in the radio station by phone on Friday. He said that 60 cars showed up in the parking lot of the Cash and Carry and looted the place. I also heard that the medical students were told to join in looting the new small express grocery store in the Jordan Village area of Cupecoy.

Yesterday a friend told DH that she had heard of the looting but that she had not seen or heard of any shootings or deaths due to the looting and robberies. She seemed perfectly fine and calm my DH said. She told us that her house had water damage but that was it.

Our contacts have all come from the Dutch side so far.

I think that there are a couple things to remember about St. Maarten. It's a small island and there is the Dutch side and the French side. With the amount of government $ and resources needed, I don't think that this can be overstated.

We have plans to go back over new year's but I won't go if I didn't feel that I would be safe. We just came back on Aug 20th so memories are very fresh as to what it use to look like. That first visit back will be very bitter sweet.

The Dutch seemed well prepared with pre-positioned ships so they could react quickly. They may not have expected quite the level of damage, though.

If your New Years trip happens I know you'll post your impressions.

Thanks.

It will take years for EVERYTHING to be fixed, but because tourism is vital to the island it is likely that every effort will be made to bring in that revenue - at least in places. The less damaged properties are likely to be up and running in a few months, and natural facilities, like beaches, will not take much longer. Because both sides of the island have "parent" countries interested in their well-being, it is likely that effective recovery efforts will start fairly promptly.

Ship are sailing from Puerto Rico now

The robberies were reported at some of the hotels with tourists that were stuck there during IRMA

The people were on several news stations (different people) describing the incidents

If you can switch without penalty then you should do so. Your post is all about you and these islands need visitors who will give a little thought to them.

I totally agree Karysa. The other poster should just switch.

I myself hope I can stop at those ports in January and help them out.