Gratuities for 1 year old on Oasis?

adamrosie

Not going to read this entire thread, but for the OP: if you've never before traveled with a small child on a cruise you are in for a real treat. Most of the staff have children that they leave behind at home and miss terribly. They will ABSOLUTELY DOTE on your 1 year old. As in you will have more attention and better service with that little one in tow. They will go out of their way to help you, to entertain your toddler and to help you relax. They will 100% earn that tip money.

Not going to read this entire thread, but for the OP: if you've never before traveled with a small child on a cruise you are in for a real treat. Most of the staff have children that they leave behind at home and miss terribly. They will ABSOLUTELY DOTE on your 1 year old. As in you will have more attention and better service with that little one in tow. They will go out of their way to help you, to entertain your toddler and to help you relax. They will 100% earn that tip money.

Ain't that the truth. My Wee Ones got more attention and better service then we did.

In a restaurant, the cost of little Johnny's meal is a lot less than the adult's food and beverage cost. The tip will be correspondingly smaller on its own.

A straight % of cost is weird anyway. We both have the same exact meal, but your bottle of wine is $100, and mine is $20. Same effort to fetch and uncork that bottle. All other things being equal yet somehow your waiter gets a much bigger 20% tip. Got it.

I completely understand that the meal may be cheaper and the tip will also be less. I also understand that if my bill is larger than yours, my tip will be also. But my point was that if I normally tip 20% of the bill (and percentage of bill is standard in the US) Would I reduce that percentage due to my child being one of the patrons. The OP wants to reduce her tips from 100% of the suggested rate to something lower due to one passenger being a child. The OP can remove all the tips, but they asked what others do. I pay full gratuities for all of us, my post was my logic why.

Why do you resent a "Billion dollar cruise company"? They are financially successful because they offer a product people want to buy. When did success begin to be a cause of what appears to be overt hostility?

They just use it as an excuse to make themselves feel better about being cheap and not tipping!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They just use it as an excuse to make themselves feel better about being cheap and not tipping!!

Exactly. If they book an inside cabin (walk-in closet class) and avoid the specialty restaurants, they can get a great vacation for next to nothing. Still, some people want to stiff the crew by shorting or excluding their gratuities. If little Johnny spills something or drops food on the floor in the MDR or buffet, they expect the crew to clean it up. It doesn't make sense to argue this any further. Low class is low class and trying to shame them is like water off a duck's back; it's a sense of entitlement that unfortunately is running rampant in our country today.

Exactly. If they book an inside cabin (walk-in closet class) and avoid the specialty restaurants, they can get a great vacation for next to nothing. Still, some people want to stiff the crew by shorting or excluding their gratuities. If little Johnny spills something or drops food on the floor in the MDR or buffet, they expect the crew to clean it up. It doesn't make sense to argue this any further. Low class is low class and trying to shame them is like water off a duck's back; it's a sense of entitlement that unfortunately is running rampant in our country today.

That's a rather broad and baseless generalization. Is the gist to insult people who don't cruise in higher class cabins or participate in the scheme to continue to pay for upgraded food?

People in suites are charged tip amounts at a lower percentage compared to guests in an inside cabin (that's just math).

Therefore suite cruisers are poor tippers (that's a baseless stupid claim for forum fodder)

That's a rather broad and baseless generalization. Is the gist to insult people who don't cruise in higher class cabins or participate in the scheme to continue to pay for upgraded food?

People in suites are charged tip amounts at a lower percentage compared to guests in an inside cabin (that's just math).

Therefore suite cruisers are poor tippers (that's a baseless stupid claim for forum fodder)

No problem with people who book inside cabins and don't complain about not getting enough for their cheap fare or scheme for ways to stiff the crew. Passengers who book suites and purchase specialty dining or beverage packages do pay higher gratuities than those who book a bare bones cruise. We also leave extra for our room attendants at the end of the cruise. Stiffing a crew member who works 12 hours a day, 7 days a week while on a 7 or 8 month assignment away from their family should bother even the cheapest cruisers, but some people never fail to surprise.

No problem with people who book inside cabins and don't complain about not getting enough for their cheap fare or scheme for ways to stiff the crew. Passengers who book suites and purchase specialty dining or beverage packages do pay higher gratuities than those who book a bare bones cruise. We also leave extra for our room attendants at the end of the cruise. Stiffing a crew member who works 12 hours a day, 7 days a week while on a 7 or 8 month assignment away from their family should bother even the cheapest cruisers, but some people never fail to surprise.

Someone in a 10k room paying $220 a week in gratuities is paying a much smaller percentage than someone in a $1500 room paying $160 for the same week was the point.

Someone in a 10k room paying $220 a week in gratuities is paying a much smaller percentage than someone in a $1500 room paying $160 for the same week was the point.

The individual in the 10k cabin is paying a great deal more towards the crews' base salary than the person in the 1500 cabin. When you break it all down, the amounts are equitable and the person in the 10k cabin isn't complaining.

The individual in the 10k cabin is paying a great deal more towards the crews' base salary than the person in the 1500 cabin. When you break it all down, the amounts are equitable and the person in the 10k cabin isn't complaining.

If the person in the 10k room paid the same percentage as the person in the 1500 cabin did you'd hear lots of complaining. key word here is percentage. Would a person in a 10k room pay 1000-1100 in gratuity happily? I doub it.

Someone posted an article here today not sure if this thread or another that said crew cost basically nothing, so the 10k person is contributing more revenue for sure. But that's not in the scope of this thread.

Just find it amusing that thread after thread, year after year, people ignore these basic math facts yet feel justified to speak so disgustingly about others and haven't really a clue what anyone does. I'm sure some people in high end suites take their tips off, I'm sure some in inside cabins hand cash out like jolly ranchers

If the person in the 10k room paid the same percentage as the person in the 1500 cabin did you'd hear lots of complaining. key word here is percentage. Would a person in a 10k room pay 1000-1100 in gratuity happily? I doub it.

Someone posted an article here today not sure if this thread or another that said crew cost basically nothing, so the 10k person is contributing more revenue for sure. But that's not in the scope of this thread.

Just find it amusing that thread after thread, year after year, people ignore these basic math facts yet feel justified to speak so disgustingly about others and haven't really a clue what anyone does. I'm sure some people in high end suites take their tips off, I'm sure some in inside cabins hand cash out like jolly ranchers

Percentage would make sense if the person in the 10k suite was eating 7 times the value of the person paying 1500 and if he or she was being attended to by 7 times the amount of crew that was servicing the 1500 person. But, they're not. For the most part, they eat in the same or similar restaurants, they go to the same shows, they have access to the same excursions, they use the same water slides, etc. The people in the suites receive some services that others may not, but they pay for those services in their higher cabin rate as well as a slightly higher tip rate per day.

This thread as been a rollercoaster from start to finish.

We've had:

- Tippers Vs non-tippers

- Diaper disposal debates

- Cost of children on various transport

- Kids vs no kids

- High end suites Vs budget rooms

You guys need to learn to get along and realise you cant change peoples opinions by name calling and patronising. Do your own thing and dont focus and get angry about what others choose to do with their life, you'll be a lot happier.

To conclude: OP, do what ever you want, its completly your choice! Who cares if some random old people on the internet think you're a cheapskate

In a restaurant, the cost of little Johnny's meal is a lot less than the adult's food and beverage cost. The tip will be correspondingly smaller on its own.

A straight % of cost is weird anyway. We both have the same exact meal, but your bottle of wine is $100, and mine is $20. Same effort to fetch and uncork that bottle. All other things being equal yet somehow your waiter gets a much bigger 20% tip. Got it.

Though, little Johnny. Will generally make a bigger mess than me..... (Most of the time anyway....lol)

This whole thread has gone in the expected direction.

But as a parent who took a one-year old on a cruise earlier this year and will cruise with a two-year old next year, let me answer the original question based on my experience:

Yes, you should absolutely tip the full amount. In fact, take enough cash so you can give extra to the crew who will be wonderful to your little one.

The crew will not only provide services to your baby, they'll go above-and-beyond. I would wager that our daughter received probably twice the attention we did from crew throughout the ship which made her trip really special and made ours better as well.

I understand the inclination, if you've never cruised with your child before, to think that somehow you're paying for nothing. But once you're on board and see how far the crew will go to make your little one happy, I think you'll see why they deserve their basic gratuity and likely more.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

But as a parent who took a one-year old on a cruise earlier this year and will cruise with a two-year old next year, let me answer the original question based on my experience:

Yes, you should absolutely tip the full amount. In fact, take enough cash so you can give extra to the crew who will be wonderful to your little one.

The crew will not only provide services to your baby, they'll go above-and-beyond. I would wager that our daughter received probably twice the attention we did from crew throughout the ship which made her trip really special and made ours better as well.

I understand the inclination, if you've never cruised with your child before, to think that somehow you're paying for nothing. But once you're on board and see how far the crew will go to make your little one happy, I think you'll see why they deserve their basic gratuity and likely more.

Ding ding ding ding ding

Then again...one has to wonder why anyone would take any child younger than perhaps 4 years old on a cruise in the first place...since they'll never remember the experience.

Considering one has to already pay a full fare for children (who won't begin to do as much, eat as much, see as much as any adult)...adding gratuities for young kids is like throwing more money into the furnace.

Then there's the insane stroller drivers onboard who force others to evade them to avoid injury.

OK - you get the picture...there's more than one side to each story.

As for the original poster...tipping is optional...do what you think is right. End of story.

Then again...one has to wonder why anyone would take any child younger than perhaps 4 years old on a cruise in the first place...since they'll never remember the experience.

Considering one has to already pay a full fare for children (who won't begin to do as much, eat as much, see as much as any adult)...adding gratuities for young kids is like throwing more money into the furnace.

Then there's the insane stroller drivers onboard who force others to evade them to avoid injury.

OK - you get the picture...there's more than one side to each story.

As for the original poster...tipping is optional...do what you think is right. End of story.

Have you considered that people want to cruise and happen to have a baby and have no one who can take the baby while they cruise?

Have you considered that people want to cruise and happen to have a baby and have no one who can take the baby while they cruise?

Yup. It's all about them.

So then what you're saying is that for the $1000 (or more) spent on a cruise for a newborn or 1-3 year old to join in the fun...that wouldn't get someone a sitter. :rolleyes:

Indeed. Kids old enough to actually know and enjoy their experiences gain lasting value in travel.

Then again...there's 2 places strollers don't belong...Las Vegas and cruise ships. But that won't stop the "it's all about me" folks.

My daughter may not remember her trip to Alaska but she still really enjoyed it, as did we. We took enjoyment having her there and she loved the new experiences.

Babies aren't a problem; most are cute. The problems are usually the result of "tweeners" that parents turn loose unsupervised to run wild on the ship. It's the few that cause problems that make it bad for all. For the most part, kids behave as they should.

My daughter may not remember her trip to Alaska but she still really enjoyed it, as did we. We took enjoyment having her there and she loved the new experiences.

Tingly all over just thinking about it...

Babies aren't a problem; most are cute. The problems are usually the result of "tweeners" that parents turn loose unsupervised to run wild on the ship.

Unfortunately, about a dozen bruise marks on legs over the years demonstrated that stroller drivers think they are at Le Mans, not on a ship.

Cruisefan

My 4 year old has been on 9 cruises. Yup, that's right. Money well spent in our opinion. We have amazing memories from all over California Coastals, New England, and multiple Caribbean cruises. He loves ships and always asks when the next one is. Locking my kid in the house is sensory suppression in my opinion. What better way to learn about the world than to see and experience it! In New England he learned what a lighthouse was. He played in fall foliage, which we don't have in south Florida. Enjoyed his first fresh blueberry muffin, which opened his tastes to new foods. The novelty of it encouraged him to try new things. In California he was able to experience the Monterey Bay Aquarium, we don't have one as nice near our home. There is so much more to a cruise than shoving my kids in a stroller and dragging them along for the ride.

There is nothing better than watching the world through the eyes of your child. YOU may not revel in that because you don't like kids/ want them around you. But that does not negate everyone else's experiences.

He loves to look back on the photo albums and ask questions about each trip. He may not have specific memories from those early trips, but he remembers being happy with his family and that's what we find most important!

I'm sorry that you've had such negative experiences with children.

Tingly all over just thinking about it...

Unfortunately, about a dozen bruise marks on legs over the years demonstrated that stroller drivers think they are at Le Mans, not on a ship.

Cruise lines market to families and kids. Don't like it? Pick one of the lines that doesn't allow small children. People are people, at any age you will find those that are poorly behaved and those that aren't. When pushing a stroller I watch for others but many don't look where they're going. There have been many threads with complaints about elderly in scooters, gawkers who block doorways, etc. Some will be rude and some will be considerate, it's a function of being in a social environment. That's life.