Gratuities for 1 year old on Oasis?

adamrosie

You put the dirty diapers in "garbage that will be emptied anyway"? Do you honestly not know that human waste products (whether from diapers or injections or bleeding) MUST be handled differently from "garbage"? Is anyone actually that stupid?

I'm actually that stupid.

I've seen a few references in this thread to disposing of diapers "in accordance with maritime law" and other similar references as if there were some special protocol for diapers.

In all my searching, I find general distinctions between sewage, gray water, and solid waste (referring to trash, not poo in particular), and what can be discharged, how it can be discharged, where it can be discharged, etc., plus a few references to sorting of recyclables from other trash. I haven't been able to come up with any specific references to the poor cabin steward having to sort diapers from other trash and haul it to some hazmat location on the ship.

Can someone who believes this to be true please provide a link to something that would back up these comments?

I estimate I've put something on the order of 30,000* diapers in the "regular trash" over the years, so I'm particularly interested!

* (8 diapers per day x 365 days per year x 2 years x 5 kids = 29,200)

How sad that you have already decided to stiff the crew.

The 4-year-olds will still be eating, bathing, sleeping, etc. Why shouldn't they be charged tips like everyone else.

I sail solo - pretty much pay double rates for a cabin. Solo cruisers don't get a break because they are not eating and drinking (included beverages) for two.

It's just something you accept and budget for; or don't cruise.

Hey Grandma -- Nobody is "stiffing" anyone. Other cruise lines don't have this "enforced" tipping requirement, and any reasonable person would understand why - it makes no sense.

It appears a few people fail to understand that tipping is NOT MANDATORY - and it's a reflection of compensating someone beyond their standard pay for services rendered when a customer feels they have received services that warrant it. Just because Royal Caribbean has chosen to make it "required" up front, doesn't mean it can't be adjusted - they've chosen to require it to be an additional "process" to "negotiate" such compensation.

In our case, we have gladly provided generous tips beyond the "directed amount" when warranted, and not so when our service was average or below. That's a personal choice every passenger has available. As for the topic at hand...barring some special circumstances...we absolutely will NOT pay a tip for a 4-year old. If others wish to do something differently...they are more than entitled to make their own choices.

P.S...he's well past the diapers phase.

Hey Grandma -- Nobody is "stiffing" anyone. Other cruise lines don't have this "enforced" tipping requirement, and any reasonable person would understand why - it makes no sense.

It appears a few people fail to understand that tipping is NOT MANDATORY - and it's a reflection of compensating someone beyond their standard pay for services rendered when a customer feels they have received services that warrant it. Just because Royal Caribbean has chosen to make it "required" up front, doesn't mean it can't be adjusted - they've chosen to require it to be an additional "process" to "negotiate" such compensation.

In our case, we have gladly provided generous tips beyond the "directed amount" when warranted, and not so when our service was average or below. That's a personal choice every passenger has available. As for the topic at hand...barring some special circumstances...we absolutely will NOT pay a tip for a 4-year old. If others wish to do something differently...they are more than entitled to make their own choices.

And you are cheap. Period. You take it out on the less fortunate. That's ok, but at least stop making excuses for it. It's been explained over and over how employee compensation works. It IS very much a major part of their "standard compensation" and removing tips is stiffing them. That's not even a debatable fact. But you will partake in some pretty intense written gymnastics, I'm sure, to try and argue otherwise. Tipping is not mandatory but it's absolutely how employees are compensated. You don't want them to be compensated? Fine, you can do that, but it says a heck of a lot about you - and none of it's positive.

But keep protesting and stiffing the staff. You'll show those underprivileged, overworked and underpaid crew what's up!!! Good for you!!!

And you are cheap. Period. You take it out on the less fortunate. That's ok, but at least stop making excuses for it. It's been explained over and over how employee compensation works. It IS very much a major part of their "standard compensation" and removing tips is stiffing them. That's not even a debatable fact. But you will partake in some pretty intense written gymnastics, I'm sure, to try and argue otherwise. Tipping is not mandatory but it's absolutely how employees are compensated. You don't want them to be compensated? Fine, you can do that, but it says a heck of a lot about you - and none of it's positive.

But keep protesting and stiffing the staff. You'll show those underprivileged, overworked and underpaid crew what's up!!! Good for you!!!

Crew contracts through third party staffing services and have a guaranteed rate built in. Phrasing such as "stiffed" implies the crew are not paid, which is misleading.

The amount collected above the minimum guarantees is distributed by the cruise line however the management sees fit. That is why surveys 0-9 hurt and only a 10 helps. Averages below a certain percentage result in additional money withheld. But do rest assured the crew within the tip pool are paid guarantee rate.

How were people like dishawashers and laundry room staff, who are not guest facing, paid before automatic gratuity? They had a higher base rate than they do today.

I hope that provides information to you and others in this thread.

I'll debate it. This is the same so-called moral high ground that higher minimum wage or so-called "living wage" advocates will try to use, that somehow it is a moral imperative for me to go along with the scam. I believe strongly in charity - I perform good works and donate plenty of money. However, it isn't my job to interject myself between an employer and an employee. Laissez-faire. If the cruise line uses the gratuity as a de facto wage, that's not my problem; that's between the employee and the employer. As long as they call it a gratuity, I'll treat it as such. If they want to re-categorize it as "Crew wages" and make it mandatory, well, then, I'll take that into consideration when determining how to recognize notable acts beyond that.

So if tipping/gratuities are "compensating the staff". Then what the hell is my cruise fare doing?

I'll debate it. This is the same so-called moral high ground that higher minimum wage or so-called "living wage" advocates will try to use, that somehow it is a moral imperative for me to go along with the scam. I believe strongly in charity - I perform good works and donate plenty of money. However, it isn't my job to interject myself between an employer and an employee. Laissez-faire. If the cruise line uses the gratuity as a de facto wage, that's not my problem; that's between the employee and the employer. As long as they call it a gratuity, I'll treat it as such. If they want to re-categorize it as "Crew wages" and make it mandatory, well, then, I'll take that into consideration when determining how to recognize notable acts beyond that.

Hey you're giving your fellow Nats fans a "bad name" with this approach. [emoji12]

Go Nats!

Cheers

Hey you're giving your fellow Nats fans a "bad name" with this approach. [emoji12]

Go Nats!

Cheers

I never said I didn't tip - at the recommended level or beyond. I just object to the position that many are taking regarding the obligation to pay the staff's wages (other than through payment of the cruise fare).

See post 56. I side with the majority of posts on this issue, but am done debating. I used to work in the service industry. I'm not going to change your mind and you won't change mine.

I read these for the entertainment value. I was particularly enjoying the in-depth dirty diaper analysis.

Cheers

Tom

Edited by Tommy3putts

Most cruise lines have this service charge.

Crew contracts through third party staffing services and have a guaranteed rate built in. Phrasing such as "stiffed" implies the crew are not paid, which is misleading.

The amount collected above the minimum guarantees is distributed by the cruise line however the management sees fit. That is why surveys 0-9 hurt and only a 10 helps. Averages below a certain percentage result in additional money withheld. But do rest assured the crew within the tip pool are paid guarantee rate.

How were people like dishawashers and laundry room staff, who are not guest facing, paid before automatic gratuity? They had a higher base rate than they do today.

I hope that provides information to you and others in this thread.

Using the term "stiffed" isn't misleading. I don't know a single person that thinks one cheap self-centered cruiser removing tips means all the crew now worked the week for free.... Don't be silly. Everyone knows what it implies and individual people do stiff the crew.

Are you suggesting the tips don't even go to the crew? It just goes towards their guaranteed rate and that's it? This is groundbreaking information. If that's the case, I suggest everyone immediately stop all gratuities since it makes no difference!!!!

I worked for several years as a server/bartender. Served many thousands of people. I was stiffed one time, and he thought I ignored him (I was overwhelmed) but it was understandable. The reality is that EVERYONE knows how service personnel are compensated, and the suggested and regularly accepted percentage. The cruise line makes it easy.

You call it a scam? That's obviously ridiculous. You have no idea how the numbers work, obviously. I happen to own a restaurant now and can assure you that tips are just the way it works. I'm certainly not banking tons of extra money by letting customers pay my employees. For someone trying to push capitalism, you don't seem to have even a basic understanding of it. Don't like it? Don't participate. What does that mean? Don't go cruising, and don't go to restaurants.

You want to stick it to the employer, the cruise line? Don't cruise. You know what that does? It means less cruisers, less fares, less revenue. Cruise line will then have to lower costs to fill ships. That's how you stick it to them. You know what will stay the same? Service charge that goes to the employees. But no, you are too self-centered and important, you HAVE to go cruising, you don't REALLY stand by your beliefs.... you are just cheap and make excuses so you can save a few bucks on the back of the underprivileged. Bravo!

So if tipping/gratuities are "compensating the staff". Then what the hell is my cruise fare doing?

Seriously? :rolleyes:

I worked for several years as a server/bartender. Served many thousands of people. I was stiffed one time, and he thought I ignored him (I was overwhelmed) but it was understandable. The reality is that EVERYONE knows how service personnel are compensated, and the suggested and regularly accepted percentage. The cruise line makes it easy.

You call it a scam? That's obviously ridiculous. You have no idea how the numbers work, obviously. I happen to own a restaurant now and can assure you that tips are just the way it works. I'm certainly not banking tons of extra money by letting customers pay my employees. For someone trying to push capitalism, you don't seem to have even a basic understanding of it. Don't like it? Don't participate. What does that mean? Don't go cruising, and don't go to restaurants.

You want to stick it to the employer, the cruise line? Don't cruise. You know what that does? It means less cruisers, less fares, less revenue. Cruise line will then have to lower costs to fill ships. That's how you stick it to them. You know what will stay the same? Service charge that goes to the employees. But no, you are too self-centered and important, you HAVE to go cruising, you don't REALLY stand by your beliefs.... you are just cheap and make excuses so you can save a few bucks on the back of the underprivileged. Bravo!

Would you please stop being so logical and making so much sense? I'm pretty sure heads are going to explode. But even the explosion won't likely crack open those wallets. lol

Do you pool everyone's tips and decide who gets what based on some magical formula? Do you take some away to give to the dishwasher?

Do you pool everyone's tips and decide who gets what based on some magical formula? Do you take some away to give to the dishwasher?

As a cocktail waitress, I always had to split my tips with the bartenders. When in a restaurant, I fully expect that the wait staff will have to share tips with bus staff and/or dish washers.

Just want to give benefit of the doubt; other lines will either not charge for a 1 year old or will charge a reduced amount. If RC is new to them this could be a change from what they are used to. The lecturing is not necessary.

TRUE!

We travel with our kids. My older son started at 9 months, my younger one at 7 months. Royal is the only line we've traveled on that charges gratuities for babies (under 1). We travel on various lines and accept each line's policy as it stands. We prefer Royal Caribbean on most occasions because they have the most baby-friendly amenities onboard. So I am okay with paying a little extra to ensure that my kids have things to do at any age!

As for the topic at hand...barring some special circumstances...we absolutely will NOT pay a tip for a 4-year old.

So.....when you eat out and the 4 year old eats, do you include the price of their meal in your tip amount or do you also refuse to tip for them? Obviously you've never worked in the service industry.

As a cocktail waitress, I always had to split my tips with the bartenders. When in a restaurant, I fully expect that the wait staff will have to share tips with bus staff and/or dish washers.

Dish washers, no. At my restaurant we have no tip share as it's just a small place. At a normal larger restaurant there is always a pretty substantial tip share. Usually about 1/3 of the tips get taken from the waiter to give to the busser, bartender, food runner, hostess. Totally normal.

But really, that's irrelevant. I have Sam Ting on ignore so I get to see his post through your response, lol... but to Sam... At my restaurant we do pool tips and it's distributed out based on time. There is no "magical formula" the cruise line uses. They know exactly how it's distributed out. And just like you don't know how Olive Garden does their tip share, you don't know how Royal does theirs, either. Doesn't make it magical, it's just how it's done there. If you don't like it, don't be a patron. Stiffing the staff is just slimy. It doesn't matter how its distributed. That's what you are refusing to understand. It's not based on YOUR personal rules and views. If you didn't know how it was distributed or why you should tip the suggested amount, well, now you do. You now know how compensation on a cruise line works. If you want to protest, then don't cruise and you can strand by your firmly held beliefs and stick it to the cruise line. If you choose to cruise and pass your little protest on to underprivileged workers who often rely on charities just to be able to speak to their loved ones... well, that's not morally defensible and you are a bad person.

Totally legal to be a terrible person. It's not against the cruise lines rules either. Don't get me wrong here. And if that's what you strive for, then hey man, you do you. Go be a terrible human being.

So.....when you eat out and the 4 year old eats, do you include the price of their meal in your tip amount or do you also refuse to tip for them? Obviously you've never worked in the service industry.

They won't pay the tip for the 4 year old, but they absolutely won't let the server or room steward know this, at any point. I'd love to see these cheap people get on board, and first time seeing the stew "We are removing some of the tips, we aren't tipping for our 4 year old. By the way, please have the 4 year olds bed pulled out, and he really loves the seahorse towel animal".... then get to the dining room, first night, and make sure the waiter knows your 4 year olds tips have been removed. Make sure he knows you went through the trouble of visiting guest services to reduce his gratuity for the 4 year old sitting at the table....

Would never happen. These people are cowards. Just like before prepaid grats, these are the same people that wouldn't show up on the last night to the dining room so they could stiff the waiter without looking him in the eye. Or look outside their stateroom on disembarkation and take the long way down the hallway to avoid the room stew.

It really is astonishing to me how classless and disgusting some people are. I am just thinking about the amazing service my 2 and 3 year olds received on our cruises last year. Really special attention from the dining room. Special plates of food waiting for them when we arrived, desserts brought out early. Just that extra special attention, smiles and interaction. How in the world would it occur to someone to stiff these folks?

It really is astonishing to me how classless and disgusting some people are. I am just thinking about the amazing service my 2 and 3 year olds received on our cruises last year. Really special attention from the dining room. Special plates of food waiting for them when we arrived, desserts brought out early. Just that extra special attention, smiles and interaction. How in the world would it occur to someone to stiff these folks?

THIS ^^^

Every cruise we've taken our kids on, and it's a lot of them, they've always gotten great attention and love from the crew members onboard. They go above and beyond to ensure my kids are happy, fed, smiling, and more. I couldn't imagine taking their tips away. We have had waiters who made sure there was fruit waiting at the table, upon arrival, for dinner so that my kids had something to snack on while waiting for our meals. And my oldest is 4 and 1/2, so we've been paying *unnecessary* tips a lot and they've all been well deserved.

Originally posted by lucywestie

Seriously? clear.png?emoji-roll-eyes-1744

Yup...seriously. I don't have to tip the Captain or senior officers so obviously they are being compensated from somewhere, some magical fund of money apparently if its not my cruise fare.

You have already stooped to name calling "bad person""cheap" and "terrible human being" to name but a few from your most recent posts.

Its ok to t be a cheerleader if thats what you want. But lay off the insults and the "holier than thou" attitude. No wonder people stay away from Cruise Critic, its people like you who hide behind their keyboards and just make it worse for the everybody else by bullying everybody else.

THIS ^^^

Every cruise we've taken our kids on, and it's a lot of them, they've always gotten great attention and love from the crew members onboard. They go above and beyond to ensure my kids are happy, fed, smiling, and more. I couldn't imagine taking their tips away. We have had waiters who made sure there was fruit waiting at the table, upon arrival, for dinner so that my kids had something to snack on while waiting for our meals. And my oldest is 4 and 1/2, so we've been paying *unnecessary* tips a lot and they've all been well deserved.

Geeze. Just to think of all those unnecessary and non-required tips you have been paying to those employees!

Originally posted by lucywestie So if tipping/gratuities are "compensating the staff". Then what the hell is my cruise fare doing?

Seriously? clear.png?emoji-roll-eyes-1744

Yup...seriously. I don't have to tip the Captain or senior officers so obviously they are being compensated from somewhere, some magical fund of money apparently if its not my cruise fare.

You have already stooped to name calling "bad person""cheap" and "terrible human being" to name but a few from your most recent posts.

Its ok to t be a cheerleader if thats what you want. But lay off the insults and the "holier than thou" attitude. No wonder people stay away from Cruise Critic, its people like you who hide behind their keyboards and just make it worse for the everybody else by bullying everybody else.

I don't hide behind a keyboard, I have met quite a few people from Cruise Critic and made some great real life friends!

What does your cruise fare pay? Well, it pays for the ship.... for starters. Fuel... and hey, Captains and Senior Officers. Do you tip at restaurants and then ask the waiter "What the heck is the bill for!!!!"

I never said I didn't tip - at the recommended level or beyond. I just object to the position that many are taking regarding the obligation to pay the staff's wages (other than through payment of the cruise fare).

Apparently you've never waited tables for a living in the U.S. Trust me, employers pay below minimum wage. Servers depend on their tips - and often must share with busboys and the like. A few idiots who know it all and feel the employer must be responsible and the poor server might not make rent that week.