Gratuities for 1 year old on Oasis?

adamrosie

I read these threads and it makes me just not want to cruise anymore. I'm embarrassed to be shoulder to shoulder with cheap skates and penny pinchers. My husband tells me to just go ahead and book Crystal. Maybe it's time I do that. At least on Crystal the gratuities are included and no one is looking to remove them.

Amen

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yeah no way would I ever pay full gratuities for a 1 year old. It's already ridiculous they expect you to pay full fare for a 1 year old as it is.

That's why once we have kids we won't be cruising until they are old enough to actually make that fare worth it. I'm not paying $700 for the week to have my kid eat cheerios.

EXCELLENT.

Those of who do not have kids, and have never had kids, will be much happier that you do not bring your kids on the cruise.

Tipping is absolutely not frowned upon in Denmark. In fact, that same restaurant will include a tip line. It's just not expected the same way it is in the US and not part of wage calculations, which is why it's obnoxiously expensive to eat out in Denmark and residents don't have the opportunity to enjoy restaurants anywhere near as much as we do in the States.

I was told, by Danes, that tipping is an insult.

And the tipping line is due to universal credit card software.

Using the term "stiffed" isn't misleading. I don't know a single person that thinks one cheap self-centered cruiser removing tips means all the crew now worked the week for free.... Don't be silly. Everyone knows what it implies and individual people do stiff the crew.

Are you suggesting the tips don't even go to the crew? It just goes towards their guaranteed rate and that's it? This is groundbreaking information. If that's the case, I suggest everyone immediately stop all gratuities since it makes no difference!!!!

I am suggesting that the crew are paid according to their contract (which I doubt factor in gratuity increases to guests; at least until their next contract).

I am further suggesting that cruise line management is in charge of disbursing the total pool however they see fit, meaning if the managers, or surveys, say someone is underperforming they may not receive a complete share from a pool. I think this is why people often say they prefer to pay people that serve them directly. We read tales on here of the crew having to turn that in, but reality is no one is shaking down staff coming off shifts for any cash they have. This is one way those surveys impact them.

Totally legal to be a terrible person. It's not against the cruise lines rules either. Don't get me wrong here. And if that's what you strive for, then hey man, you do you. Go be a terrible human being.

exactly gratuities are totally optional and you can choose not to tips at all - totally within the cruise lines rules!

I say LOL to the "bad human" being part.....it is a business and they gamble on your gratuity guilt.....most times they will win with American cruisers but loose on some others - it is all in the calculation!

Gratuities on a cruise are designed to scam the most money out of their patrons - that is why they invented auto-gratuities to create the best guilt trip for extra gratuities!

Edited by Thorben-Hendrik

OK, I just have one question here... Does RCCL not provide Diaper Genies on request??? (The special disposal can for soiled diapers. NOT a person since they like to use the term "genie" rather than "butler" for suites.)

(Disclosure: No kids. I tip fully and extra for myself (solo cruiser most of the time). BUT - maybe it's that my primary cruise experience is with Disney, but I know that they will provide a Diaper Genie upon request. And not just for cabins with infants and toddlers but for cabins with anyone who uses diapers or depends or the like. No questions asked.)

OK, I just have one question here... Does RCCL not provide Diaper Genies on request??? (The special disposal can for soiled diapers. NOT a person since they like to use the term "genie" rather than "butler" for suites.)

(Disclosure: No kids. I tip fully and extra for myself (solo cruiser most of the time). BUT - maybe it's that my primary cruise experience is with Disney, but I know that they will provide a Diaper Genie upon request. And not just for cabins with infants and toddlers but for cabins with anyone who uses diapers or depends or the like. No questions asked.)

Been on several rci cruises with a baby and never heard of this or been offered one. Typically we just ask for a roll of garbage bags which they happily provide and that reduces or pretty much eliminates the odors. Still they have to deal with these and associated issues with a lil one so we tip extra.

exactly gratuities are totally optional and you can choose not to tips at all - totally within the cruise lines rules!

I say LOL to the "bad human" being part.....it is a business and they gamble on your gratuity guilt.....most times they will win with American cruisers but loose on some others - it is all in the calculation!

Gratuities on a cruise are designed to scam the most money out of their patrons - that is why they invented auto-gratuities to create the best guilt trip for extra gratuities!

Scam? How is that since they tell you up front and allow you to remove them with no questions asked? You may not like the system but it is far from a scam since it is fully disclosed. Perhaps you misunderstand the word scam but it entails something much different.

Using the term "stiffed" isn't misleading. I don't know a single person that thinks one cheap self-centered cruiser removing tips means all the crew now worked the week for free.... Don't be silly. Everyone knows what it implies and individual people do stiff the crew.

Are you suggesting the tips don't even go to the crew? It just goes towards their guaranteed rate and that's it? This is groundbreaking information. If that's the case, I suggest everyone immediately stop all gratuities since it makes no difference!!!!

If everyone did it certainly would change the labor market for cruise employees. My only question for you, If someone removes the RCCL auto/suggested tips but then distributes the same amount of money to the crew members of their choosing at the level of their choosing does that make them a cheap self-centered cruiser?

Because you cannot get the tips to the behind the scenes personnel that benefit from the tip system.

Why not use the system? Leave the auto tips in place, and tip a BIT extra when appropriate?

Gets everyone for their work, plus shows those that give you extra, that you appreciate it.

Lets make this simple if you cant afford to pay for gratuities for the child than maybe you shouldn't be cruising. If you don't want to pay for the gratuities find another way to vacation. I hear Disney World is geared more to children perhaps see how much more it costs to bring your little toddler to a theme park. See how much more you will be doing yourself or you could pay the gratuities take advantage of the toddler program and enjoy some alone time. You would also have the luxury on the cruise of leaving your room a total disaster and someone will come in and clean in all up for you. Please the gratuities are worth it pay them.

Lets make this simple if you cant afford to pay for gratuities for the child than maybe you shouldn't be cruising. If you don't want to pay for the gratuities find another way to vacation. I hear Disney World is geared more to children perhaps see how much more it costs to bring your little toddler to a theme park. See how much more you will be doing yourself or you could pay the gratuities take advantage of the toddler program and enjoy some alone time. You would also have the luxury on the cruise of leaving your room a total disaster and someone will come in and clean in all up for you. Please the gratuities are worth it pay them.

kids under 3 are free at Disney and kids under 3 can not participate in Royal kids clubs; some ships have baby programs but not all. Disney prices are high if you stay on property but even then a toddler will cost you nothing additional. Royal has been slow in adding baby and toddler friendly splash pads across the fleet. Exorbitantly priced baby sitting exists if there is crew that wish to staff that.

You don't even know this lady. Maybe she does not leave the room a total disaster like apparently you do.

If everyone did it certainly would change the labor market for cruise employees. My only question for you, If someone removes the RCCL auto/suggested tips but then distributes the same amount of money to the crew members of their choosing at the level of their choosing does that make them a cheap self-centered cruiser?

Yes. First off, while I'm not sure how royal handles this, on other cruise lines the rule is that IF auto gratuities are removed and IF someone receives a cash tip from that person THEN it is turned into the tipping pool to be distributed as if it was the auto gratuities. This sounds true because it would be fair. Otherwise you are taking a little money out of everyone's pocket to give extra to a few.

Plus I firmly believe that if you remove the auto gratuities that the supervisor of your wait staff can only interpret that as you were unhappy. In the long run it could cost them a promotion or bonus.

If you do this, I truly don't understand the point. The auto tipping system exists to cover everyone adequately. Can only imagine the disappointment if you have your steward $40 on the last day, then they find out you removed your auto-gratuities and have to turn it in.

As far as people who say that the tipping just covers the 'minimum' that they cruise line will cover if you don't tip... I used to waitress. In the US, waitresses get paid around $2 an hour. Minimum wage, at the time, was $6.50. Waitresses are required to 'declare' their tips to the IRS. Credit tips are automatically calculated and cash tips require honesty. Either way, your declared tips and salary had to average out so you made at least $6.50 an hour total. If you didn't, your employer had to make up the difference. I calculated it out once and I was averaging $12 an hour. So a huge difference between working and getting decent tips and the 'minimum' it was required I get that my employer would make up if I didn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oh, I'm seeing evidence that "bad humans" certainly exist. It is right to treat your fellow human beings well, and it is wrong to invent "scams" to avoid your responsibilities.

Apparently some folks just don't get it.

This is not about the ability to pay - it's about the principal of what is appropriate to pay.

Our rooms are left in a condition whereby our stewards routinely comment how "little they have to do to clean up after us".

According to Webster's Dictionary, a gratuity is "something given voluntarily or beyond obligation usually for some service". Making them mandatory defies its definition. We regularly do pay cash gratuities when we receive services beyond the norm - no one is going to guilt us into paying something else.

Oh, I'm seeing evidence that "bad humans" certainly exist. It is right to treat your fellow human beings well, and it is wrong to invent "scams" to avoid your responsibilities.

These people think they're screwing the big money cruise lines by not tipping when in reality they're just screwing the workers.

Apparently some folks just don't get it.

This is not about the ability to pay - it's about the principal of what is appropriate to pay.

Our rooms are left in a condition whereby our stewards routinely comment how "little they have to do to clean up after us".

According to Webster's Dictionary, a gratuity is "something given voluntarily or beyond obligation usually for some service". Making them mandatory defies its definition. We regularly do pay cash gratuities when we receive services beyond the norm - no one is going to guilt us into paying something else.

We "get it." (At least I do.) If people didn't have the "ability" to pay tips, they would probably not be cruising. The "principle" (correct version of the word) is what we are discussing here.

According to Webster's Dictionary, a principle is: an accepted or professed rule (notice they say "rule" instead of "law." That explains why some think it's fine to ignore it) of action or conduct: a person of good moral principles.

The problem is that not everyone shares the same principles.

It goes against my personal principles to refuse to compensate those who leave their families for months on end to take care of me and mine. Even if people are so perfect as to require ZERO work from the cabin attendant, they STILL have to go in and clean your rooms. Even if they don't see stuff on the floor, they have to vacuum it. Even if your toilet, shower, sink and bathroom floor look clean, they have to scrub them. Since they are only assigned so many rooms. It's not as if they can say "I didn't have to do much in this room. I'm not likely to get a tip here, so I'd better pick up an extra room to make up the lost income." No matter how much or how little you request of them, they are still there, at the ready, waiting to serve you.

By your logic we should Also be charged for a 4th person in our cabin because we are a party of 3 and we are not maximizing the number of ppl who can technically fit so we are denying the cruise revenue, correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I cruise SOLO, and unless I get a special sale, I pay for my imaginary friend in my cabin. It's just the way it is. I always thought third person in the cabin was at a reduced rate. Learn something new.

If you really feel you should not have to pay the tips, go to guest services and tell them. Don't expect people on this board to justify it for you.

Enjoy your cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boo hoo for these billion dollar cruise lines. Meanwhile they have convinced passengers to donate to a fund to pay their employees. What a crock! I hope the op not only removes the infant tips but theirs as well while they are at it.

Your unbelievable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk