What is the appeal of sea days?

Doggielover68

If that's the extent of what you see as the MDR experience, I would recommend avoiding it altogether and utilize the Lido exclusively for your evening meals. You wouldn't have to deal with any of those annoying things..

Why? The MDR is available to those who want to eat by themselves or with strangers so everyone can have a full service meal. Waiting for food for yourself is different than waiting for a group of strangers to order food.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Am I missing something? I don't particularly care for sea days. Everything feels crowded and the activities are repetitive. I also don't want to spend the day reading a book or playing cards because I can do those things at home for free. What do you do on sea days?

If you don't know why then my reasons won't matter ! You have to ask yourself "Why do I like to cruise ?" If it's only to visit ports then maybe you should visit by tours of sites . It's faster and easy !

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you don't know why then my reasons won't matter ! You have to ask yourself "Why do I like to cruise ?" If it's only to visit ports then maybe you should visit by tours of sites . It's faster and easy !

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Again, I was simply asking what people do on sea days to see if there are activities I am missing. I already know that I like to cruise. I just wish there were more activities available on sea days.

Again, I was simply asking what people do on sea days to see if there are activities I am missing. I already know that I like to cruise. I just wish there were more activities available on sea days.

There are plenty of activities on Carnival and Royal Carribean. It's non stop partying, games, trivia, seminars, dancing, liqueur & wine tasting, galley tour, cooking classes, dance classes, main production shows, magic shows, acrobatics, love and marriage show, meet the captain, etc

You will not be able to attend every event. You will have to decide what to attend and participate in (and what to skip)

There are plenty of activities on Carnival and Royal Carribean. It's non stop partying, games, trivia, seminars, dancing, liqueur & wine tasting, galley tour, cooking classes, dance classes, main production shows, magic shows, acrobatics, love and marriage show, meet the captain, etc

You will not be able to attend every event. You will have to decide what to attend and participate in (and what to skip)

I have found the same could be said on every cruise line I have sailed on. There are too many activities that interest me that it makes you have to pick which ones to attend.

I love sea days. 💖 With that being said, while I agree there are a TON of activities to choose from on sea days, I usually find very few that I'm interested in. I won't pay for wine tasting, etc. I'm horrible at trivia, so I don't play, but I might mentally try to answer a few questions if I happen to be in earshot. I don't use the gym, go to the spa, or use the pools or hot tubs. I do watch some of the goofy games, and movies during the day if it's showing inside. I'm perfectly content to find a comfy spot, hopefully quiet, to sit and read and people watch. Did I say I love sea days? ☺

Absolutely! There are so many activities, you will be spoilt for choice

I have never had to miss activities with the exception of evening shows and movies that have conflicting times. During the day, it is quite repetitive for someone who cruises often. The trivia contests have mostly the same questions from cruise to cruise, the "seminars" are sales pitches for jewelry and shopping mostly and are the same from cruise to cruise, etc. I suppose it also depends on the cruise/entertainment director on the ship and the itinerary. Last year we did a back to back cruise, 6 day/8 day. The 6 day had hardly any activities planned. The 8 day had a good variety of shows and activities, although still not much during the day on sea days.

The first time I went on a cruise , escaped the people i was traveling with , and really had nothing to do but jut enjoy the ocean around me , whatever was going on on the boat, and drank the day away I was in bliss. The thing I enjoyed the most about cruises is unplugging. no social media to post to ( I don't care to buy a package) , no phone calls to take, no bills to concern myself with , just blue as far as the eye can sea .

For me a sea day amplifies this and because we are in the flux of travel ( not where we're going yet but nowhere near where we were) I am forced in all my over thinking bliis to just sit back , enjoy the ocean , enjoy the sun , and be at peace. I love them . I thought I'd hate them but when we are at port I want to run around and explore on Sea days I can just kickback all that I want.

During the day, it is quite repetitive for someone who cruises often. The trivia contests have mostly the same questions from cruise to cruise, the "seminars" are sales pitches for jewelry and shopping mostly and are the same from cruise to cruise, etc. I suppose it also depends on the cruise/entertainment director on the ship and the itinerary. Last year we did a back to back cruise, 6 day/8 day. The 6 day had hardly any activities planned. The 8 day had a good variety of shows and activities, although still not much during the day on sea days.

Which was cruise ship and itinerary with very few sea day activities?

Ummm, you were more than 'simply asking what people do on sea days' which came at the very end of your post. Prior to that, at the beginning of your post you made it clear that you 'don't particularly care for sea days', which is what a lot of people here picked up on.

Love sea days. Work out. Have breakfast. Nap. Climb rock wall. Take a wine tasting or martini making class. Hang out with friends. So a trivia game. Enjoy the pool. Have several drinks. Enjoy dinner then a show. Go to night club. But of course it depends on which ship. That's why I like the mega ships like Royal's oasis class ships.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ummm, you were more than 'simply asking what people do on sea days' which came at the very end of your post. Prior to that, at the beginning of your post you made it clear that you 'don't particularly care for sea days', which is what a lot of people here picked up on.

Yes, I don't care for them because I can't find anything to do. So I asked people what they do. It's not that complicated.

Which was cruise ship and itinerary with very few sea day activities?

Carnival Conquest 6 day cruise. It went to Half Moon Cay, Amber Cove, and it missed Grand Turk due to weather, so essentially we had 3 sea days. This was probably the cruise that ruined sea days for us because we had far too many in a row with the back to back. We missed grand turk (sea day), then another sea day, then disembarkation day in Fort Lauderdale where we stayed on the ship, then another sea day, then finally a port day. On top of that, the weather was gloomy, rainy, and we had rough seas so there weren't really any outdoor activities that week.

I found I love the sea days. I sleep in a little late, hit the gym or do stair laps around the ship, lunch and a drink. Read a book by the pool. Nap and maybe a little cuddle time with the wife. Then drinks, dinner and a show! Whats not to like?

I agree. Cruise lines offer a large variety of activities to try and appeal to a broader range of interests. There are some people who feel the need to be entertained, others can be left to their own devices, and others simply wish to do nothing at all. There's certainly no right or wrong answer. For those who want to try and tackle every activity, go for it. Those that only wish to do a few things, that's fine too. And for those who choose to kick back and do nothing, there's time for that as well

Doggielover so do you feel you have good sea day suggestions now?

Well it seems that at least half of the responses mention sleeping or eating, but something I haven't considered before is the gym. I'll probably check that out on our upcoming cruise.

You can have a massage too! So many people don't get to relax in their daily lives. Sea days provide that opportunity. If I have an at home stacation I end up cleaning and doing all the things on the home to do list. Sea days force me into quiet mode or activity mode depending on the ship.

Carnival Conquest 6 day cruise. It went to Half Moon Cay, Amber Cove, and it missed Grand Turk due to weather, so essentially we had 3 sea days. This was probably the cruise that ruined sea days for us because we had far too many in a row with the back to back. We missed grand turk (sea day), then another sea day, then disembarkation day in Fort Lauderdale where we stayed on the ship, then another sea day, then finally a port day. On top of that, the weather was gloomy, rainy, and we had rough seas so there weren't really any outdoor activities that week.

You should avoid a back to back Cruise.

They offer no discount and the same shows and activities are repeated.

Try a different ship sailing from the same port or a nearby port. Even a different Cruise line.