What is the appeal of sea days?

Doggielover68

It is a constant source of amazement to me that some people will challenge and criticize and even demean other people for having different preferences than them in their choice of leisure activities.

I agree. Some want to spend the day napping and eating. Good for them, many can't do that at home. Others are up a 6am running the track or in the gym, god bless. It's their cruis/vacation. No one is wrong[emoji75]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

It is a constant source of amazement to me that some people will challenge and criticize and even demean other people for having different preferences than them in their choice of leisure activities.

I don't think anyone has been demeaning here. Everyone is entitled to do what they want on vacation. But for those of us who don't want to spend the day just lounging around, sleeping, eating, etc...it would be nice to have some more activities available outside of the repetitive trivia, sales pitches, cooking demo with the same menu 3 years in a row, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I don't think anyone has been demeaning here. Everyone is entitled to do what they want on vacation. But for those of us who don't want to spend the day just lounging around, sleeping, eating, etc...it would be nice to have some more activities available outside of the repetitive trivia, sales pitches, cooking demo with the same menu 3 years in a row, etc.

Then what was the point of this whole thread? Nothing was going to change your mind, and even here you are putting down folks who like sea days as just eating and napping despite the things people said that were different. Does it make you feel superior or something? Again, what was your point, other than to exhibit some passive-aggressiveness? Because you sure didn't ask why cruise ships don't have more activities on sea days, as you are now portraying yourself, it was 'why do people like things I don't like'. Why should they have to defend their preferences to you?

Then what was the point of this whole thread? Nothing was going to change your mind, and even here you are putting down folks who like sea days as just eating and napping despite the things people said that were different. Does it make you feel superior or something? Again, what was your point, other than to exhibit some passive-aggressiveness? Because you sure didn't ask why cruise ships don't have more activities on sea days, as you are now portraying yourself, it was 'why do people like things I don't like'. Why should they have to defend their preferences to you?

Why are you so mad? Why do you feel like you have to defend what you want to do on your vacation? I haven't read anything yet in this thread I thought was being particularly demeaning or acting like they thought they were superior.

Many people did respond with eat, sleep, repeat type answers. No one's saying that that's wrong or right. Obviously it's for some and not for others.

Could it be that the post was to see if maybe there were other activities she wasn't aware of on sea days?

. ....it would be nice to have some more activities available outside of the repetitive trivia, sales pitches, cooking demo with the same menu 3 years in a row, etc.

Wii choices, golf putting, lectures, movies, card playing, various crafts are also available. I don't know what cruise line has the same cooking demo menu 3 years in a row. I go to cooking demonstrations and they are always different, even on the same ship twice in the same year.

Am I missing something? I don't particularly care for sea days. Everything feels crowded and the activities are repetitive. I also don't want to spend the day reading a book or playing cards because I can do those things at home for free. What do you do on sea days?

I am 100% in agreement

Wake up..eat breakfast...take a nap...eat lunch...take a nap....have a snack....take a nap....go to dinner, watch the show...go to bed.;p

And of course, there is napping and then there is NAPPING. If you get what I am saying. :D

Beats me - I do not understand how people can like them. Sea days is one reason why I will never take a Pacific cruise. Endless staring at an empty ocean with nothing on it but birds and water would drive me crazy. After 2 or 3 sea days, I am ready to jump overboard and try to swim to the nearest land. Any land.

Basically, I regard a cruise ship as a bus that gets me from point A to point B as quickly as possible. We have 2 port intensive cruises scheduled - one to Europe and one to Japan. No sea days at all. Wonderful!!!

However, I do understand that people love sea days. We have a friend who I think would be happy to get on the ship, anchor, and stay there for a week.

I guess the different strokes for different folks rule applies.

DON

They WHY cruise?????

Take a plane, a bus that gets you to your destinations MUCH faster.

Am I missing something? I don't particularly care for sea days. Everything feels crowded and the activities are repetitive. I also don't want to spend the day reading a book or playing cards because I can do those things at home for free. What do you do on sea days?

I suspect you are missing the opportunity to relax and chill out... many do not know how to do this because their lives are so busy.

For us, sea days are wonder time to establish a rythm on board, sleep in, have breakfast in the cabin, listen to sea, walk the main deck... listen to a lectlure.. see a movie, explore the ship...we have a TA in October with 6 sea days in a row. We also sometimes stay on board when we have been to a port many times or come back and enjoy the ship 1/2 empty... love the peace and quiet.

I suspect you are missing the opportunity to relax and chill out... many do not know how to do this because their lives are so busy.

For us, sea days are wonder time to establish a rythm on board, sleep in, have breakfast in the cabin, listen to sea, walk the main deck... listen to a lectlure.. see a movie, explore the ship...we have a TA in October with 6 sea days in a row. We also sometimes stay on board when we have been to a port many times or come back and enjoy the ship 1/2 empty... love the peace and quiet.

I had a similar thought, although worded differently. My day-to-day life is so busy that sometimes I don't feel myself fully unwind and start living in the moment until well into the first sea day.

But I do know that other people have to be constantly "doing" something.

I also enjoy my own company, so that helps.

Why are you so mad? Why do you feel like you have to defend what you want to do on your vacation? I haven't read anything yet in this thread I thought was being particularly demeaning or acting like they thought they were superior.

Many people did respond with eat, sleep, repeat type answers. No one's saying that that's wrong or right. Obviously it's for some and not for others.

Could it be that the post was to see if maybe there were other activities she wasn't aware of on sea days?

Exactly. That's why I asked what people do on sea days. I am literally curious if there is something I have been missing out on that might not be mentioned in the Fun Times.

Wii choices, golf putting, lectures, movies, card playing, various crafts are also available. I don't know what cruise line has the same cooking demo menu 3 years in a row. I go to cooking demonstrations and they are always different, even on the same ship twice in the same year.

I must have been unlucky then. I went on Liberty, Conquest, and Splendor and the menu was the same each time for the cooking demo lol

My thoughts are that I'm spending a lot of money to be on vacation so I want to be doing something productive/memorable. If I wanted to nap I could theoretically take time off from work and be at home to rest.

In the end, if that's something you enjoy doing while on vacation you're more than welcome to do so. It's just not for me.

I would just like a little more variety of activities during the day. Most of the scheduled events are sales pitches.

I completely agree with this! I do get a lot of downtime at home. I work only part time and I have older kids who let me nap whenever I want and know to be quiet and not wake me up. I feel too lazy almost every day. When I am on vacation spending thousands of dollars, I want to cram it full of as many activities as I can. I enjoyed the first sea day on our first cruise, but the second one in a row was a bit much for me, I was starting to go kinda stir crazy. I didn't hate it, but I didn't see the appeal to it either. I just always want to be on the move on vacation. This next cruise we booked the Fascination so that we could have way more ports and only 1 sea day. I know I will enjoy that so much more.

I forgot to add water slides. We did a scavenger hunt on our last one. I'm looking forward to the go karts on the Bliss. I sometimes enjoy watching the silly games. Other times I just explore and see what I can find. I'm one of those that goes through the daily schedule and highlights things I might be interested in. I also enjoy people watching. lol Not in a weird way. ;) :D

Save

Our favorite cruise ( which we've done three times ) is a transatlantic crossing on a very slow motorized sailboat. (Windstar). Thirteen sea days with no stops. One announcement per day by the captain at noon reporting depth of sea- closest land! That's it. First time I read nine books and my husband wrote a chapter in his.

That's what I like to do. Your mileage will vary.