What is the appeal of sea days?

Doggielover68

Am I missing something? I don't particularly care for sea days. Everything feels crowded and the activities are repetitive. I also don't want to spend the day reading a book or playing cards because I can do those things at home for free. What do you do on sea days?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Yes, you are missing something? The ability to relax, socialize, read, think, etc. Some folks are very comfortable without lots of activities, smartphones, texting, etc. DW and I once were on a long cruise where 12 of the first 14 days were sea days....interrupted only by an overnight stop in Honolulu. We almost did not get off the ship in Honolulu...but finally relented because we wanted to go to a beach and do some snorkeling. On another 14 day Caribbean cruise that stopped at 9 ports we did not even bother to get off the ship in the first 8 ports...because we loved being on the near empty ship.

Go on a long Holland America cruise and talk to fellow cruisers and you will often hear that their biggest gripe is that HAL got rid of their librarians and there is not a library on their newest ships. Many scheduled activities have been eliminated...mostly for lack of interest. Fellow cruisers are happy just reading, playing Bridge, knitting, going to lectures, and (horrors) socializing face to face (no texting) etc.

What are you missing? Some of us love cruising as much or even more then the ports. We sometimes wonder if "social media" has caused many younger folks to forget how to actually socialize. Sure, I have an iPhone, no how to use it and do my share of texting. But on a long cruise that iPhone gets turned off and put in my cabin safe where it sometimes sits for more then a week at a time.

If I want a lot of activity we simply fly to Europe, Asia, etc.... rent a car and go. When we want to relax....we take a long cruise with lots of sea days.

Hank

Am I missing something? I don't particularly care for sea days. Everything feels crowded and the activities are repetitive. I also don't want to spend the day reading a book or playing cards because I can do those things at home for free. What do you do on sea days?

I do a lot of reading because at home there are always household chores that need to be done.

Reading at sea is relaxing with no guilt about taking time for that.

Even though activities might be repetitive that is a good thing since with several activities scheduled at one time, what I miss one day I can do another day.

Sea days also give a chance to socialize with other passengers, hearing about their travels and getting ideas about places to go, hotels, to use, tours to take.

We love sea days and the Sea Day Brunch is awesome. Our next trip is 14 days trans canal with 7 sea days, so excited. If you can not relax on a cruise ship, you need to find a different travel venue.

Our next cruise is also a canal transit. It's an 18 day cruise with 10 of them being sea days. We chose that itinerary primarily because of so many sea days -- 1 or 2 after every port day.

Not as good as the ta's we've done since the sea days are interrupted by port days. ;)

That's something I didn't think about. I don't have any kids so it's not as hard for me to find time to read at home.

I take it you're a male, most of whom don't have meals to cook, dishes to do, clothes to launder/fold or hang/put away, beds to make, vacuuming to do, dusting to do. Doesn't leave much time for us homemakers to read.

A philosopher once said

Man works from sun to sun,

But woman's work is never done.

]I love seeing nothing but water 360°. No stress can find me![/b]

Days at sea for me means playing Skip Bo and Yahtzee with a few drinks ( or more) and a chance to just reconnect for my wife and I. I enjoy sea days as much as port days.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

THIS!!!! :D;)(y)

I take it you're a male, most of whom don't have meals to cook, dishes to do, clothes to launder/fold or hang/put away, beds to make, vacuuming to do, dusting to do. Doesn't leave much time for us homemakers to read.

A philosopher once said

With my house husband at home making most of our meals I have to point out that that does not apply as much anymore.

Like most here we enjoy sea days as well, we are busy enough at home wife is in school as well as working as an RN, I average about 80+ hours of work every week unless I am on vacation, balance that with trying to raise twins and you can see how busy we are! That being said we do enjoy sea days because it gives us a chance to relax! As someone else said we sleep in! We also may see a show, go to bingo, watch a movie, but basically that is the day that we agree that we will explore things on the ship and just kick back and relax. I will say that several back to back sea days would get old after awhile ESPECIALLY if they were not planned and I was looking forward to the shore excursion that I had booked. For us (when we are not bringing the kids) we sail on the larger ships like Oasis and Quantum of the Seas so there is always more than enough to do on sea days. Lets just say those are the days that I tell myself that I will take my big butt to the gym but uh......that does not happen all the time! since I too tend to sleep, eat, nap repeat!

A philosopher once said

Or maybe their children are grown. Or they don't have any children. Possibly their personality is one where sitting idle doesn't appeal to them.

As a female who works full-time, has two children, does all the household duties I can appreciate the sleeping in part especially after a port day. But a full day of nothing is too long for me.

Woman's work never being done quote could suggest you wouldn't know what to do with several full days of nothing to do.

Edited by kc58ab

Woman's work never being done quote could suggest you wouldn't know what to do with several full days of nothing to do.

I think you didn't read my other posts where I say how much I love sea days. The "woman's work is never done" is my problem with LAND. So I relish sea dayswith nothing to do.

I think you didn't read my other posts where I say how much I love sea days. The "woman's work is never done" is my problem with LAND. So I relish sea dayswith nothing to do.

No I did. Maybe you're misunderstanding me or me you. My point was a woman's work is never done could suggest that you might not enjoy sea days sitting back lounging being that your mind might still be going towards things you needed to do.

Even on vacation there are still things to do. Like I know I'm still the one typically picking up around the cabin, organizing the dirty laundry, watching my children, etc.

What are you missing? Some of us love cruising as much or even more then the ports. We sometimes wonder if "social media" has caused many younger folks to forget how to actually socialize. Sure, I have an iPhone, no how to use it and do my share of texting. But on a long cruise that iPhone gets turned off and put in my cabin safe where it sometimes sits for more then a week at a time.

Social media isn't the problem for me (I'm 29). Not all younger generations were constantly exposed to technology. I didn't even have a computer to use until I was practically in college. On a daily basis I am an overthinker...so having idle time to sit around and think is generally problematic.

Most are replying back with eat, sleep, repeat. I would call that nothing. But I guess we could rephrase to nothing productive or overly entertaining. :p

That's how I feel too. I have never been one to take naps anyway. I can barely get to sleep at night on a normal day. My thoughts are that I'm spending a lot of money to be on vacation so I want to be doing something productive/memorable. If I wanted to nap I could theoretically take time off from work and be at home to rest.

In the end, if that's something you enjoy doing while on vacation you're more than welcome to do so. It's just not for me.

I would just like a little more variety of activities during the day. Most of the scheduled events are sales pitches.

Beats me - I do not understand how people can like them. Sea days is one reason why I will never take a Pacific cruise. Endless staring at an empty ocean with nothing on it but birds and water would drive me crazy. After 2 or 3 sea days, I am ready to jump overboard and try to swim to the nearest land. Any land.

Basically, I regard a cruise ship as a bus that gets me from point A to point B as quickly as possible. We have 2 port intensive cruises scheduled - one to Europe and one to Japan. No sea days at all. Wonderful!!!

However, I do understand that people love sea days. We have a friend who I think would be happy to get on the ship, anchor, and stay there for a week.

I guess the different strokes for different folks rule applies.

DON

A philosopher once said

Nope. I am a woman and I do the majority of the household chores. I always have a stack of books from the library here. I don't spend the whole day reading but I do read almost every day which is why I don't want to do it while on a paid vacation.

Yes, you are missing something? The ability to relax, socialize, read, think, etc. Some folks are very comfortable without lots of activities, smartphones, texting, etc. DW and I once were on a long cruise where 12 of the first 14 days were sea days....interrupted only by an overnight stop in Honolulu. We almost did not get off the ship in Honolulu...but finally relented because we wanted to go to a beach and do some snorkeling. On another 14 day Caribbean cruise that stopped at 9 ports we did not even bother to get off the ship in the first 8 ports...because we loved being on the near empty ship.

Go on a long Holland America cruise and talk to fellow cruisers and you will often hear that their biggest gripe is that HAL got rid of their librarians and there is not a library on their newest ships. Many scheduled activities have been eliminated...mostly for lack of interest. Fellow cruisers are happy just reading, playing Bridge, knitting, going to lectures, and (horrors) socializing face to face (no texting) etc.

If I want a lot of activity we simply fly to Europe, Asia, etc.... rent a car and go. When we want to relax....we take a long cruise with lots of sea days.

Hank

Social media is not an issue for me. I'm 40. I don't have Facebook, Instagram, Twitter or any of the other popular social media. I communicate with those that I want to without using that. I also put my phone in the safe when I'm on a cruise typically the entire time. It may not be the people don't socialize because their nose is in to their phone, but that they aren't super social people. Although I can agree just going through teenage years with children that many do seem to have their phones attached to the hip.

Could be possible those that love social media would enjoy sea days because then they could have a whole day full of it.:o

Most are replying back with eat, sleep, repeat.
I think we can safely add spa and salon visits.

I would just like a little more variety of activities during the day. Most of the scheduled events are sales pitches.
I would expect that the roll call would fill such gaps, but I don't get the impression that many (Carnival) roll calls discuss getting together for something other than the standards (breakfast, cocktails, slot pull, cabin crawl, etc.)