AIBP - All Inclusive Beverage Package

ajgp

We're taking our first ever cruise on Oct 7 from FL around the CB on Caribbean Princess. Trying to decide on the value of the AIBP. I found a speradsheet published in 2014 which is very useful tool and more or less confirms that the AIBP is worth it based on our potential drinking behaviour for the 14 days. However does anyone know if you MUST purchase it for both people as a couple. What I am trying to say is, if I purchased it for one person, how is it managed to cover one versus two people if only one is ordering the drinks? What is to stop that one person going back and forth to the order counter, getting a drink for your partner one time and then yourself the next?

We're taking our first ever cruise on Oct 7 from FL around the CB on Caribbean Princess. Trying to decide on the value of the AIBP. I found a speradsheet published in 2014 which is very useful tool and more or less confirms that the AIBP is worth it based on our potential drinking behaviour for the 14 days. However does anyone know if you MUST purchase it for both people as a couple. What I am trying to say is, if I purchased it for one person, how is it managed to cover one versus two people if only one is ordering the drinks? What is to stop that one person going back and forth to the order counter, getting a drink for your partner one time and then yourself the next?

make it easy and go to the bar and order 10 drinks, these threads are getting beyond a joke now.

Depends upon your personal sense of honor. Is it more important to save a few dollars or to live to the rules.

Here are a few impediments.

If you're ordering drinks in a dining area or at most bars and any other facility with waiters, you won't be able to go to the "counter" for drinks.

You should also be aware that the bartenders will be watching for this kind of behavior. It's a bit of tip off when one person orders two different types of drinks (rum and coke and then martini) only minutes apart.

Don't be surprised if your fellow passengers drop a dime on you. I know I would because the more sharing of drink packages, the higher the price other passengers have to pay.

If you're caught, then you will forfeit the drink package for the remainder of the cruise, no refund. The cruise line may also retroactively charge you for the drinks you have consumed or even add a second beverage package.

I know it is tempting to save a few bucks but it really isn't fair to your fellow passengers.

If you play with that package evaluator, you will find it is unlikely that the package will pay for itself. Do a realistic assessment of what you will consume and the cost without the package. Now do that for your sailing partner. You may find that they cost for two people without the package isn't worth trying to cheat the cruise line. (Yes, it is cheating.)

What is to stop that one person going back and forth to the order counter, getting a drink for your partner one time and then yourself the next?

Princess has been struggling with this as well. The latest understanding is that there's a limit of fifteen alcoholic drinks per 24 hour period per person. No limit on specialty coffee, juices, sodas, water, etc..

On my wife's and my next cruise one of us has the AIBP and the other one does not. I have seen the bar tenders and waiters intervene when someone of low moral character tries to cheat by getting drinks for others. Such behavior will only raise the cost for the honest passengers or may cause the AIBP to be discontinued.

It may already have been discontinued---------Yesterday I got on my cruise personalizer for each of 6 future cruises I have booked. The AIBP was no longer listed among the various drink packages available for purchase.

The AIBP is individual. It does not have to be purchased by all in a cabin.

There has been talk of a daily limit of 15 alcoholic drinks/day, don't really know if that is in effect for purchased packages.

What prevents you from stealing anything, your self esteem or a policeman standing next to you? As stated below the package can not be shared. Believe if caught sharing the package will be revoked without refund. See text from Princess below.

Below is a more recent price list from 2017. List is under the calculator tab. Note that if you order any drink over the menu price of US$10 then you will be charged the entire amount, not the difference.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14T0LH6Npt1iFp2XddlHLJ7gwnbDkZSsO00jcAJJGOSk/edit#gid=1356145217

“Package is NOT availablefor purchase within 3 days of sailing and is NOT available for voyages 2 nightsor fewer. Package must be purchased for full length of voyage, cannot be shared, is non-transferable,and is non-refundable within 3 days of sailing.

Thanks for all the answers. It's not a joke to me and I am not deliberately looking to be dishonest. As it will be our first ever cruise experiebce I was seeking advice on how it works and how it is managed if you buy the package for one or both in the party. Now I am more understanding and will not be cheating anyone. Thanks.

On my wife's and my next cruise one of us has the AIBP and the other one does not. I have seen the bar tenders and waiters intervene when someone of low moral character tries to cheat by getting drinks for others. Such behavior will only raise the cost for the honest passengers or may cause the AIBP to be discontinued.

It may already have been discontinued---------Yesterday I got on my cruise personalizer for each of 6 future cruises I have booked. The AIBP was no longer listed among the various drink packages available for purchase.

You can still book it, it's just in a different place. Go to the "booking summary" and scroll down to the bottom. Click on the link for the beverage package and purchase. I have seven future cruise booked and I'm able to purchase the AIBP on all of them.

There is one part of the AIBP that you can share. The AIBP includes a 40% discount on any bottle of wine costing less than $100. You may share that discounted bottle of wine with anyone you want without violating the rules.

If one of you drinks enough to justify the AIBP and the other one primarily drinks some wine with meals, then the best solution may be to purchase the AIBP for the one person. That person can then purchase bottles of wine at 40% discount for the second person. Note that the person with the AIBP doesn't even need to drink from the purchased bottle - he or she can order glasses of wine included in the AIBP and the other person can drink the entire discounted bottle of wine.

Thanks for all the answers. It's not a joke to me and I am not deliberately looking to be dishonest. As it will be our first ever cruise experiebce I was seeking advice on how it works and how it is managed if you buy the package for one or both in the party. Now I am more understanding and will not be cheating anyone. Thanks.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. I see this is only your second post. Unfortunately, some of the members are more critical than others.;)

It's not a requirement that everyone in the cabin has to buy the package. The nice part is that if you a wine drinker, your husband can buy the package and buy any bottle of wine, $100.00 or less, and get 40% off. These bottle can be shared with anyone.

Most ships have a BOGO happy hour, where it's buy one drink, get one for a $1.00. They have to be the same drink, but it's a great way to get drinks for a cheaper price. The times and venue will be in your Princess Patter, the daily activities guide that is delivered to your stateroom.

I would also recommend ordering the 12-pack of bottled waters for your cabin. You need to go to your cruise personalizer and pre-buy this before sailing. I believe the current cost is $5.90.

As others have said, sharing is frowned upon and the consequences are not that nice. We find it most cost effective for my husband to buy the package and for me to pay as I go. Before the AIBP, our drinks, for the two of us, ran about $100.00 per day. Now it's about $80.00 a day.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. I see this is only your second post. Unfortunately, some of the members are more critical than others.;)

It's not a requirement that everyone in the cabin has to buy the package. The nice part is that if you a wine drinker, your husband can buy the package and buy any bottle of wine, $100.00 or less, and get 40% off. These bottle can be shared with anyone.

Thanks a lot for your understanding and great advice. Much appreciated!! We're coming from Ireland! ☘️

One question on the bottles of wine...are these available only in restaurants at 40% discount or elsewhere on board to purchase? I see there is a wine list to order from for delivery to the cabin, would this also be with the 40% discount with the AIBP? Thanks again.😀

Thanks a lot for your understanding and great advice. Much appreciated!! We're coming from Ireland! ☘️

One question on the bottles of wine...are these available only in restaurants at 40% discount or elsewhere on board to purchase? I see there is a wine list to order from for delivery to the cabin, would this also be with the 40% discount with the AIBP? Thanks again.😀

Besides the gift shop/room service....anywhere on board.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. I am sure you were sincerely seeking information about the AIBP. Unfortunately, you were caught up in the cyclone of "sharing" perks meant for one (AIBP, Coffee Card, etc). Enjoy your drinks. Enjoy your first cruise. Hope you find Princess to be your Cruise Line.

Just doing a bit of research on Princess.

How much is the AIBP per person per day?

We almost purchased one on Celebrity once, but realised that it was cheaper to pay as we purchased!

Thanks

All-Inclusive-Bev-Pkg.jpg

All-Inclusive Beverage Package£45.96 per person, per day

All-Inclusive Package features any drink up to $10 including cocktails, wine, beer, bottled water, sodas, specialty coffees & more! A 40% discount on bottles of wine (below $100 retail) is also offered on bottles purchased in bars, dining rooms or specialty restaurants.

Excludes in-room services, souvenir, mini-bar and vending machine items. Package must be purchased for full length of voyage, cannot be shared, is non-transferable, and is non-refundable within 3 days of sailing. Terms and conditions will apply.

My wife and I recently had an experience with the AIBP. I ordered it for myself and she did not due to being pregnant. A few times I was questioned for ordering a bunch of different drinks, I was on vacation after all and I was drinking things I wouldn't usually try at home. Most of the time though this never came up.

One question on the bottles of wine...are these available only in restaurants at 40% discount or elsewhere on board to purchase? I see there is a wine list to order from for delivery to the cabin, would this also be with the 40% discount with the AIBP? Thanks again.

I don't know for sure but drinks/cocktails ordered from room service are not so I doubt they are. However, you can certainly order a bottle from any bar and then carry the bottle back to your room. The bar would open it for you. Your room steward could also provide a corkscrew if one is not in your room.

BTW, are you aware that you can carry one bottle per person aboard without paying a corkage fee but only for consumption in your room? Bottles over and above those amounts incur a fee of $15 per bottle and can be consumed anywhere aboard ship. A $10 bottle of wine plus $15 for corkage is still cheaper than anything on ship.

I suspect you maybe coming from a different country, maybe Ireland? There is a wine store near the port with very good prices and a wonderful selection. It's Totalwine.com. You can even order on the internet and it will be ready for you to pickup. It's very close to the Princess boarding docks. Try googling total wine and use google maps to see where it is located.

You can still book it, it's just in a different place. Go to the "booking summary" and scroll down to the bottom. Click on the link for the beverage package and purchase. I have seven future cruise booked and I'm able to purchase the AIBP on all of them.

Thank you for telling me where to find it. Not sure why Princess would have the AIBP under "booking summary" and remove it from "onboard reservations".

I have often speculated that website managers periodically change the websites for no apparent reason other than job security.

Why did you not take advantage of the recent Sip n Sail Promotion? Would have saved the drama and all the moral dilemmas.

I don't know for sure but drinks/cocktails ordered from room service are not so I doubt they are. However, you can certainly order a bottle from any bar and then carry the bottle back to your room. The bar would open it for you. Your room steward could also provide a corkscrew if one is not in your room.

BTW, are you aware that you can carry one bottle per person aboard without paying a corkage fee but only for consumption in your room? Bottles over and above those amounts incur a fee of $15 per bottle and can be consumed anywhere aboard ship. A $10 bottle of wine plus $15 for corkage is still cheaper than anything on ship.

I suspect you maybe coming from a different country, maybe Ireland? There is a wine store near the port with very good prices and a wonderful selection. It's Totalwine.com. You can even order on the internet and it will be ready for you to pickup. It's very close to the Princess boarding docks. Try googling total wine and use google maps to see where it is located.

That's excellent to know. THANK YOU. Yes we are coming from Ireland. Your logic on the wine makes a lot of sense. I'll get the pallet ordered for loading😀🍷🍷🍷🍷

Why did you not take advantage of the recent Sip n Sail Promotion? Would have saved the drama and all the moral dilemmas.

Wasn't aware of this promotion? :mad: Was it posted on the website through the cruise personalizer...or where? I am in Ireland and booked through Princess UK office...maybe we were not included in that. I received no alert about that and have been on the cruise personalizer on a weekly basis since April when we originally booked.

Wasn't aware of this promotion? :mad: Was it posted on the website through the cruise personalizer...or where? I am in Ireland and booked through Princess UK office...maybe we were not included in that. I received no alert about that and have been on the cruise personalizer on a weekly basis since April when we originally booked.

It was only available to residents of the United States,

Canada, Puerto Rico, Mexico and Bermuda.

Or if you booked through a US TA.

We missed out in Australia as well :(

I could have cancelled and rebooked through a US TA but would have cost me A$900 cancellation fee and would have lost club suite.

Thank you for telling me where to find it. Not sure why Princess would have the AIBP under "booking summary" and remove it from "onboard reservations".

I have often speculated that website managers periodically change the websites for no apparent reason other than job security.

Lol, this is so true. There were a few us that were stumped yesterday, but then someone found the new location and shared it on another post.

All-Inclusive-Bev-Pkg.jpg

All-Inclusive Beverage Package£45.96 per person, per day

All-Inclusive Package features any drink up to $10 including cocktails, wine, beer, bottled water, sodas, specialty coffees & more! A 40% discount on bottles of wine (below $100 retail) is also offered on bottles purchased in bars, dining rooms or specialty restaurants.

Excludes in-room services, souvenir, mini-bar and vending machine items. Package must be purchased for full length of voyage, cannot be shared, is non-transferable, and is non-refundable within 3 days of sailing. Terms and conditions will apply.

Thanks for the info - much appreciated :)