Obtaining a visa for Brazil?

Phillygirl3

Visas for the 2019WC: Australia, China, India, Myanmar, Vietnam.

The only one which is complicated is the one for India - the form asks for lots of details. The Visa agency suggested by Regent was very helpful for the '17WC.

I am not on Regent but Cystral in 2019. I find the AU and China very easy. Done the Nan one twice. India i got at the last minute on a ship when there was an empty cabin.

only brazil seems hard to me. even Russia is now easier

I am not on Regent but Cystral in 2019. I find the AU and China very easy. Done the Nan one twice. India i got at the last minute on a ship when there was an empty cabin.

only brazil seems hard to me. even Russia is now easier

Interesting - I thought that the China visa was difficult but that was about 3 years ago. I did the AU online - could not be easier. And, in case anyone is going to Kusadasi, Turkey which is now back on Regent itineraries, they made visas extremely easy to obtain - no agency necessary.

Interesting - I thought that the China visa was difficult but that was about 3 years ago. I did the AU online - could not be easier. And, in case anyone is going to Kusadasi, Turkey which is now back on Regent itineraries, they made visas extremely easy to obtain - no agency necessary.

I have a new agent as of spring 2015. .She does all my Visas for me. Yes, AU is now on line. my first Visa with them was sitting down at a desk in my house. i did my last China one two years ago. i honestly do not remember it. i will need one for 2019 as i go from Japan to China. I think that is the only country I will need one.

For this winter only needed Brazil. But the agent did it. For some reason it is going to her in TX then sent to me in NC. .naturally i am freaking out just waiting. always do.

I have a new agent as of spring 2015. .She does all my Visas for me. Yes, AU is now on line. my first Visa with them was sitting down at a desk in my house. i did my last China one two years ago. i honestly do not remember it. i will need one for 2019 as i go from Japan to China. I think that is the only country I will need one.

For this winter only needed Brazil. But the agent did it. For some reason it is going to her in TX then sent to me in NC. .naturally i am freaking out just waiting. always do.

I understand freaking out when you have to give your passport to someone. Hope that yours arrives (with a Visa for Brazil) quickly.

Yes, TC. Turkey became easy to get starting in 2014 when they implemented something very simple like the Australia ETA. I wish they were all like those two. :)

Keith

Eek! I just went online to schedule an appointment at the Brazilian Embassy in Los Angeles...the next available is not until early November. Considering that we’re taking a European river cruise in early December, there’s little choice now but to use a service.

Not a huge issue...I should get the visa within two weeks (the service I’m using is going through the embassy in Atlanta), and having gone through the online application Brazil requires, I can say that it’s just confusing enough for me to be glad I got some assistance.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Eek! I just went online to schedule an appointment at the Brazilian Embassy in Los Angeles...the next available is not until early November. Considering that we’re taking a European river cruise in early December, there’s little choice now but to use a service.

Not a huge issue...I should get the visa within two weeks (the service I’m using is going through the embassy in Atlanta), and having gone through the online application Brazil requires, I can say that it’s just confusing enough for me to be glad I got some assistance.

Thanks for sharing that information. It is not surprising but will be helpful to other cruisers.

Dear Travelcat: When is your trip to Brazil? I'm starting to get nervous about the fact that my travel agent said that she would "take care of it" for us but I'm wondering if she is being a little cavalier about how long it may take to obtain one. I know that she has to get our passports at one point in order to get the visa, or am I confused about this? Thanks for your feedback!

Confused. As far as I know and it is in the Brazilian rules that you have to go thru the Consulate that is responsible for the state you live in. Your post indicates you live in Los Angeles therefore you have to use the Los Angeles Consulate. Your are saying that a service will use the Atlanta Consulate is not correct as Brazil is very strict about only using the consulate responsible for your state. Yes, the service may save you some time but, Brazil is notorious for at times taking way too long and your service will need to go thru LA. Suggest you contact them and yes, you have to complete the forms and provide all of the documentation and your Passport to the service who will then need to send or take it to Los Angeles. Assuming your service is in Atlanta and why you think they will use the Atlanta Consulate but, almost positive they will need to work thru the Los Angeles Consulate and you will have to complete the forms from Los Angeles. Forms are different for different consulates and you have to complete the one for Los Angeles which won't work with Atlanta.

Good luck,.

Confused. As far as I know and it is in the Brazilian rules that you have to go thru the Consulate that is responsible for the state you live in. Your post indicates you live in Los Angeles therefore you have to use the Los Angeles Consulate. Your are saying that a service will use the Atlanta Consulate is not correct as Brazil is very strict about only using the consulate responsible for your state. Yes, the service may save you some time but, Brazil is notorious for at times taking way too long and your service will need to go thru LA. Suggest you contact them and yes, you have to complete the forms and provide all of the documentation and your Passport to the service who will then need to send or take it to Los Angeles. Assuming your service is in Atlanta and why you think they will use the Atlanta Consulate but, almost positive they will need to work thru the Los Angeles Consulate and you will have to complete the forms from Los Angeles. Forms are different for different consulates and you have to complete the one for Los Angeles which won't work with Atlanta.

Good luck,.

You know, I’m no doubt mistaken. I think the service’s home office is in Atlanta, hence my misperception. At this point, though, I’m just relieved I had some help completing the application!

And, at least in California, there’s a fair amount of busywork involved, including downloading three recent credit card statements and having them notarized, to prove financial solvency.

Dear Travelcat: When is your trip to Brazil? I'm starting to get nervous about the fact that my travel agent said that she would "take care of it" for us but I'm wondering if she is being a little cavalier about how long it may take to obtain one. I know that she has to get our passports at one point in order to get the visa, or am I confused about this? Thanks for your feedback!

We willl be in Brazil next month (latter part of November). When is your cruise? Your TA will definitely need your passports. Depending upon when your cruise is, I would think about using a service on your own.

I am cruising Rio to Barcelona and was told by my travel agent that he can take care of getting the visas for my husband and I. I'm not sure how that works as we usually have had to mail away our passports to the embassy or a visa service. Has anyone had any experience with obtaining a visa for travel to Brazil. Many thanks for any input regarding this matter.

We are on the same cruise and also the Amazon in November. For the Amazon cruise, Regent is charging $400 per passenger for the Brazilian visa (not):eek:. We are using visacentral to obtain our visas. The charge is $300. per. It would be $35 less if we had done the "pre-check" for the visa; we decide to let them do the whole thing. The visa is scheduled to be returned by Oct 20.

I saw a suggestion to visit the Brazilian Consulate but since we live in South Dakota and the Consulates are in Chicago, New York, Los Angles, DC it is a bit unrealistic!:rolleyes:

When we went to China, Russia, and South Africa the process was much easier. Argentina is another country that is a pain. :(

Our passports were about to expire so we now have new passports.

I know most travelers probably know this but when you have unexpired visas remember to bring your old passport with you to prove you have a valid visa.

Partygirl3 if you have not signed up for the meet & greet check it out soon.

John

We are on the same cruise and also the Amazon in November. For the Amazon cruise, Regent is charging $400 per passenger for the Brazilian visa (not):eek:. We are using visacentral to obtain our visas. The charge is $300. per. It would be $35 less if we had done the "pre-check" for the visa; we decide to let them do the whole thing. The visa is scheduled to be returned by Oct 20.

I saw a suggestion to visit the Brazilian Consulate but since we live in South Dakota and the Consulates are in Chicago, New York, Los Angles, DC it is a bit unrealistic!:rolleyes:

When we went to China, Russia, and South Africa the process was much easier. Argentina is another country that is a pain. :(

Our passports were about to expire so we now have new passports.

I know most travelers probably know this but when you have unexpired visas remember to bring your old passport with you to prove you have a valid visa.

Partygirl3 if you have not signed up for the meet & greet check it out soon.

John

Actually quite a few more consulates than those you listed but, really doesn't matter as you are required to use the one having jurisdiction over your state and that is Chicago. Just don't want others to think they can choose their consulate. have to use the one having jurisdiction over your state.

And, as far as Argentina, all you used to have to do is apply for a permit on line so really easy and for almost a year now, US citizens don't need anything to enter Argentina except their US Passport.

Actually quite a few more consulates than those you listed but, really doesn't matter as you are required to use the one having jurisdiction over your state and that is Chicago. Just don't want others to think they can choose their consulate. have to use the one having jurisdiction over your state.And, as far as Argentina, all you used to have to do is apply for a permit on line so really easy and for almost a year now, US citizens don't need anything to enter Argentina except their US Passport.

I forgot about the jurisdiction issue, our visa is processed in Chicago. When we went to Argentina, 4 years ago, it was indeed a process and our visa (not a permit) was checked at all points of entry including leaving the US. Glad to hear the process has improved. Well, we have six years to travel back to Argentina.

Here’s a weird question. I just got my Brazil visa...affixed to a page of my passport, and by design impossible to remove. Very official looking! But the visa doesn’t expire for 10 years, while my passport expires in 6. Can I just cut out the page with the visa in 6 years and put it in my new passport? That, however, sounds like a dubious plan! But I hate to have to get a new visa, that I wouldn’t need for 4 years, when I renew my passport.

Here’s a weird question. I just got my Brazil visa...affixed to a page of my passport, and by design impossible to remove. Very official looking! But the visa doesn’t expire for 10 years, while my passport expires in 6. Can I just cut out the page with the visa in 6 years and put it in my new passport? That, however, sounds like a dubious plan! But I hate to have to get a new visa, that I wouldn’t need for 4 years, when I renew my passport.

Not weird at all. Really simple answer. You cannot cut the page out of your passport when it expires. You have to keep the old passport with the valid visa and take it with you when you go to Brazil. The visa remains valid in the expired old passport so you would show both passports when entering Brazil. Easy Peasy.

Just looked at my Brazilian Visa and the passport number is on the visa so if you cut it out the numbers would not match thus why you keep the old passport and visa and take two passports with you

Not weird at all. Really simple answer. You cannot cut the page out of your passport when it expires. You have to keep the old passport with the valid visa and take it with you when you go to Brazil. The visa remains valid in the expired old passport so you would show both passports when entering Brazil. Easy Peasy.

Just looked at my Brazilian Visa and the passport number is on the visa so if you cut it out the numbers would not match thus why you keep the old passport and visa and take two passports with you

Ah. Of course. Now I feel stupid for asking! But thank you...

Not a dumb question at all. Most of our passports expire before our visas. Not a big deal. When are you going to Brazil?

Not a dumb question at all. Most of our passports expire before our visas. Not a big deal. When are you going to Brazil?

I’m going to be lurking in the Amazon waiting for you to sail by! :)

Actually, we’re going on our longest cruise yet, if I don’t have to cancel at the last minute for any work related issues...Jan 28-Mar 3 2018. It’s comprised of 2 back to back cruises, Santiago to Buenos Aires with Antarctica (22 days), then Buenos Aires-Rio de Janeiro (12 days, almost all Brazilian ports) on the Holland America Zaandam. In a strange quirk of pricing, the 34 day back to back was slightly cheaper than the initial 22 day cruise that I booked, so long as we passed on a few of the extras being offered. Neither my wife nor I have ever been to South America, so we figured why not?

Of course we’ve been spoiled by Regent, Viking, Crystal and to a degree Aqua Class on Celebrity, and have never cruised on HAL before. But we love the itinerary, love cruising, and have realistic expectations re the dining. We also booked a “suite,” which in this case appears to have a slightly larger sitting area than a standard cabin. Am hoping we’ll have a great journey! (Per an earlier post, I had to get the visa early because we’re taking a quick Christmas market Rhine river cruise in early December.)

Paul, sounds like a lovely itinerary. Let us know if you will be posting from the ship -- I would definitely follow your thread on the HAL board. We do know people that sail on HAL and they like it.

Wow - "a quick Christmas market Rhine river cruise in early December." - sounds wonderful - even though we don't do river cruises. IMO, whatever way you are able to see the world is great ..... whether it be on a cruise ship, by land or a combination of both. Enjoy every moment:D

Jackie

Paul, sounds like a lovely itinerary. Let us know if you will be posting from the ship -- I would definitely follow your thread on the HAL board. We do know people that sail on HAL and they like it.

Wow - "a quick Christmas market Rhine river cruise in early December." - sounds wonderful - even though we don't do river cruises. IMO, whatever way you are able to see the world is great ..... whether it be on a cruise ship, by land or a combination of both. Enjoy every moment:D

Jackie

I should have time to post from the ship since there are multiple sea days....will keep you posted! In December, we’re cruising on a Viking “longship” from Basel to Amsterdam, with a few days pre-cruise in Lucerne. We’ve never river cruised either, so it should be fun! And all those beautiful towns with their Christmas markets will be a blast to visit.

I should have time to post from the ship since there are multiple sea days....will keep you posted! In December, we’re cruising on a Viking “longship” from Basel to Amsterdam, with a few days pre-cruise in Lucerne. We’ve never river cruised either, so it should be fun! And all those beautiful towns with their Christmas markets will be a blast to visit.

Christmas markets are fantastic. Enjoy the gluevin (sp).