NCL Cruise Service Charge Refund

bussub

I have never received a complaint in the 25 years as such, not "STELLA" but Stellar baby, exceptional, presidential award winner!

Maybe all of the complaints meant for you were unleashed onto someone else....like your complaints from previous cruises will be levied onto your next crew.;)

• Like 1

Maybe all of the complaints meant for you were unleashed onto someone else....like your complaints from previous cruises will be levied onto your next crew.;)

I am beginning to believe we are dealing with a troll who has no life and likes to start crap. If this person is for real, I just have to say...karma is a b*tch. What you give you will get back threefold!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• Like 1

Oh I would never complain about a crew member, it would have to be a deliberate intentional error to inflict pain up on me. A nasty act with hateful intentions.

I've gone over this before.

Removing the DSC does NOT subtract from employee pay. It takes money out of NCL's pocket.

The DSC is charged in order for NCL to pay less than minimum wage for their employees.

It is not a pool of money which gets subtracted from. NCL does not even claim it is. That is assumed by cruisers who want to feel good that they're "tipping" by leaving the DSC in place, and NCL perpetuates that by sometimes calling it "gratuities".

The only way a DSC removal hurts employees is if a specific employee or department is cited for the removal reason. That's part of the reason you need to mail in a form to Miami. If there's a specific bad employee or slacking department causing the DSC removals, NCL wants to know about it, for obvious reasons.

If you just put down a general reason such as, "I'll tip employees individually", nobody gets in trouble.

If you still don't believe me, answer this question:

The DSC removal process takes 30 days. You don't get it back instantaneously.

How do they handle the fact that some employees from your cruise have already left the company by the time your removal is processed? Do they contact those employees and demand the money back? Clearly not.

Also ask yourself why they keep raising the DSC, including twice in a 4-month period recently. Do you think they're doing that just to tip employees more? How often has everyone gotten a raise at work TWICE in a 4-month period?

This is money pocketed by NCL.

Don't hate on NCL for this, though. Just about all cruise lines function the exact same way.

All the Dudley Do-Rights here acting sanctimonious about DSC removal are hilarious.

FYI, I've never removed the DSC myself, but only because I consider it part of the fare, and barring major issues, I feel I owe it. (Same reason I don't demand discounts at land-based hotels after-the-fact when everything is fine.) But don't kid yourself that you're tipping people with the DSC, because you're not.

I've gone over this before.

Removing the DSC does NOT subtract from employee pay. It takes money out of NCL's pocket.

The DSC is charged in order for NCL to pay less than minimum wage for their employees.

It is not a pool of money which gets subtracted from. NCL does not even claim it is. That is assumed by cruisers who want to feel good that they're "tipping" by leaving the DSC in place, and NCL perpetuates that by sometimes calling it "gratuities".

The only way a DSC removal hurts employees is if a specific employee or department is cited for the removal reason. That's part of the reason you need to mail in a form to Miami. If there's a specific bad employee or slacking department causing the DSC removals, NCL wants to know about it, for obvious reasons.

If you just put down a general reason such as, "I'll tip employees individually", nobody gets in trouble.

If you still don't believe me, answer this question:

The DSC removal process takes 30 days. You don't get it back instantaneously.

How do they handle the fact that some employees from your cruise have already left the company by the time your removal is processed? Do they contact those employees and demand the money back? Clearly not.

Also ask yourself why they keep raising the DSC, including twice in a 4-month period recently. Do you think they're doing that just to tip employees more? How often has everyone gotten a raise at work TWICE in a 4-month period?

This is money pocketed by NCL.

Don't hate on NCL for this, though. Just about all cruise lines function the exact same way.

All the Dudley Do-Rights here acting sanctimonious about DSC removal are hilarious.

FYI, I've never removed the DSC myself, but only because I consider it part of the fare, and barring major issues, I feel I owe it. (Same reason I don't demand discounts at land-based hotels after-the-fact when everything is fine.) But don't kid yourself that you're tipping people with the DSC, because you're not.

From a poster that worked for NCL as an officer:

No, as noted, their compensation is a combination of wagesand "incentive" program, which is the DSC. The reason that all cruiselines use the "service charge" method is two fold: it tries toengender a "team concept" for the hospitality staff, so that failureof one person, resulting in reduction of DSC, affects everyone (to a smallextent) in the "team". It also allows the cruise line to shift theonus for reducing a crew member's compensation from the cruise line to thepassengers.

The only thing that is "guaranteed" toa crew member is the minimum total compensation, which is currently $614/monthfor a 40 hour work week, plus overtime at 125% of the base wage for hours over40/week. This totals out to about $1500/month. If the base wage, overtime, andDSC totals more than this, per their contract, they get that much, if the DSCis reduced, their wages can drop to the above minimum.

No, as noted, their compensation is a combination of wagesand "incentive" program, which is the DSC. The reason that all cruiselines use the "service charge" method is two fold: it tries toengender a "team concept" for the hospitality staff, so that failureof one person, resulting in reduction of DSC, affects everyone (to a smallextent) in the "team". It also allows the cruise line to shift theonus for reducing a crew member's compensation from the cruise line to thepassengers.

The only thing that is "guaranteed" toa crew member is the minimum total compensation, which is currently $614/monthfor a 40 hour work week, plus overtime at 125% of the base wage for hours over40/week. This totals out to about $1500/month. If the base wage, overtime, andDSC totals more than this, per their contract, they get that much, if the DSCis reduced, their wages can drop to the above minimum.

I saw that post awhile ago.

But read it more carefully.

He was referring to the DSC being reduced and a department being punished in some way if it were named as the reason.

They do not have a giant DSC pool where they subtract X amount of dollars when you remove X from it.

That's not how it works, and that's not what he was saying.

He is correct that they are only guaranteed the maritime minimum wage, and that they do get paid more than minimum wage when it's all said and done. However, this is an amount which is unaffected by DSC removers, unless the removal is being done specifically to target an employee or department.

Think about it critically:

Remember the fairly recent DSC double-hike, where it was first hiked, and then hiked again 4 months later?

Why would that be done if the DSC is going 100% to employees?

These jobs are highly coveted, and they don't need to charge customers extra to raise employee pay TWICE in four months. Every time they raise the DSC, they both drive away future customers AND reduce how much people are willing to spend onboard.

If DSC is going entirely to employees, then how do you explain the double raise?

Furthermore, why is NCL so cagey when discussing the utilization of the DSC? Why don't they directly state that removing the DSC removes from the employee pay pool? They don't state it because it's not true.

I saw that post awhile ago.

But read it more carefully.

He was referring to the DSC being reduced and a department being punished in some way if it were named as the reason.

They do not have a giant DSC pool where they subtract X amount of dollars when you remove X from it.

That's not how it works, and that's not what he was saying.

He is correct that they are only guaranteed the maritime minimum wage, and that they do get paid more than minimum wage when it's all said and done. However, this is an amount which is unaffected by DSC removers, unless the removal is being done specifically to target an employee or department.

Think about it critically:

Remember the fairly recent DSC double-hike, where it was first hiked, and then hiked again 4 months later?

Why would that be done if the DSC is going 100% to employees?

These jobs are highly coveted, and they don't need to charge customers extra to raise employee pay TWICE in four months. Every time they raise the DSC, they both drive away future customers AND reduce how much people are willing to spend onboard.

If DSC is going entirely to employees, then how do you explain the double raise?

Furthermore, why is NCL so cagey when discussing the utilization of the DSC? Why don't they directly state that removing the DSC removes from the employee pay pool? They don't state it because it's not true.

I read it and he has explained it a number of times and since he worked for NCL, I'm sure he has more factual information then those guessing.

Please provide everyone on here your proof and not just your guesses and it will probably stop all these threads.

? "revenge"? We are talking cold hard cash, just one of many issues was changing the carpet in my room, I paid for a vacation, not for them to remodel my room, as previously stated a one time deal to get my money back since complaints were not heeded. I will take any cruise line that offers cheap, not married to any line. Nothing to do with revenge, if you want to give me $400 I will call the whole thing off.

When you are talking about sticking it to NCL for PAST problems by stiffing the crew on another cruise that you admit you’d only take to hit Platinum yes, that is taking revenge: noun

the action of inflicting hurt or harm on someone for an injury or wrong suffered at their hands.

• Like 1

I think the question is still open - does any portion of the DSC go into paying the minimum? Or is the minimum guaranteed by NCL, and every penny of the DSC supplements this?

By my read if no one paid DSC each crew member would get $1500/mo. If everyone pays DSC that the crew should make out very, very well indeed if it is all added.

Like poker pro, I see DSC as part of the fare, and I’ve been sufficiently guilted that I wouldn’t remove it. I read NCL’s description on the website as saying that all the DSC goes into a pot, to be distributed to staff in acccordance with some unknown formula-performance, perhaps, and hero cards.

I would have a problem if DSC went into that guaranteed minimum. It’s not my responsibility to directly fund a paycheck. I have no problem if there’s a tipping expectation that’s distributed to employees over & above their minimal paychecks.

Can you clarify?

I read it and he has explained it a number of times and since he worked for NCL, I'm sure he has more factual information then those guessing.

Please provide everyone on here your proof and not just your guesses.

So how do you explain the double raise in DSC recently, four months apart?

NCL giving charity to employees, at the expense of their customers?

When's the last time you got two raises in four months at work?

Why do you think NCL doesn't directly state the DSC removal directly affects the pool? You'd think that would some prevent people from removing it, right? Why don't they state that?

Let's have some critical thinking here, rather than going by some cryptic old messages by a supposed former NCL employee.

I don't have proof I can provide, but I have had conversations with former NCL (and other cruise line) employees about it, and they all told me the same basic story. I cannot share their names out here, for obvious reasons.

You can choose to believe the "I'm tipping everyone with the DSC" fairy tale, or you can think critically and see the reality.

I think the question is still open - does any portion of the DSC go into paying the minimum? Or is the minimum guaranteed by NCL, and every penny of the DSC supplements this?

By my read if no one paid DSC each crew member would get $1500/mo. If everyone pays DSC that the crew should make out very, very well indeed if it is all added.

Like poker pro, I see DSC as part of the fare, and I’ve been sufficiently guilted that I wouldn’t remove it. I read NCL’s description on the website as saying that all the DSC goes into a pot, to be distributed to staff in acccordance with some unknown formula-performance, perhaps, and hero cards.

I would have a problem if DSC went into that guaranteed minimum. It’s not my responsibility to directly fund a paycheck. I have no problem if there’s a tipping expectation that’s distributed to employees over & above their minimal paychecks.

Can you clarify?

100% true that part of it goes into the guaranteed minimum.

That's not even up for debate.

The only question being discussed is whether removing the DSC actually affects crew pay. I am telling you it does not, when removed without blaming anyone.

So how do you explain the double raise in DSC recently, four months apart?

NCL giving charity to employees, at the expense of their customers?

When's the last time you got two raises in four months at work?

Why do you think NCL doesn't directly state the DSC removal directly affects the pool? You'd think that would some prevent people from removing it, right? Why don't they state that?

Let's have some critical thinking here, rather than going by some cryptic old messages by a supposed former NCL employee.

I don't have proof I can provide, but I have had conversations with former NCL (and other cruise line) employees about it, and they all told me the same basic story. I cannot share their names out here, for obvious reasons.

You can choose to believe the "I'm tipping everyone with the DSC" fairy tale, or you can think critically and see the reality.

Thank you for admiting that you have no proof.

As to your questions, they should be directed to NCL, but if they are anything like the company I worked for how they pay their employees is between the company and the employees and not their customers and rightfully so.

I guess you and I will have to agree to disagree on this subject, as I choose to believe an ex-NCL Officer, as do many others.

Thank you for admiting that you have no proof.

As to your questions, they should be directed to NCL, but if they are anything like the company I worked for how they pay their employees is between the company and the employees and not their customers and rightfully so.

I guess you and I will have to agree to disagree on this subject, as I choose to believe an ex-NCL Officer, as do many others.

The "NCL officer" never explicitly stated that the DSC removal goes out of the pool in all circumstances. I remember that conversation and he was very non-committal and vague when it came to that. And speaking of proof, he offered no proof of his identity, either, so I don't see how you are explicitly trusting him, given your need for "proof".

I am not stating that NCL should disclose how much they pay employees.

I am stating that they would be very open and clear about the DSC going directly into pockets of employees, if that's what was really happening, because it would be great PR to state such a thing! (Plus the number of removals would decrease!)

Look at NCL's own wording:

Staff members including complimentary restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports.

https://www.ncl.com/faq#service-charge

Notice the end of the sentence, where it says, "... salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports."

See what they did there?

The service charge SUPPORTS these programs. It does not necessarily FUND these programs.

That little distinction is very important. "Supports" can mean anything. It can (and does) simply mean that NCL transfers some of the DSC into salary and incentive programs.

Notice that they do NOT state that they remove money from the DSC pool when you remove it.

We have structured a guest satisfaction program designed to handle any concerns about service or on-board product quickly and efficiently. However, in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board guest services desk staff know right away, so that we can address these in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges.

You need to read corporate-speak and understand that what they DON'T say is often far more revealing than what they do. This is especially true when you're assuming something good of the company (giving the entire DSC to employees), yet they avoid saying that. Companies always want to publicize their good deeds.

This convoluted language would not be necessary if it were a simple matter of DSC going directly to the service crew, and DSC removals taking money away from them.

NCL has never said that it works this way. It has been an (incorrect) assumption by cruisers that the cruise industry is happy to see occurring!

When you are talking about sticking it to NCL for PAST problems by stiffing the crew on another cruise that you admit you’d only take to hit Platinum yes, that is taking revenge: noun

the action of inflicting hurt or harm on someone for an injury or wrong suffered at their hands.

Oh my not my words "sticking it to ncl", we are getting our money BACK for past mistakes, this thread helped me take notice that this was possible, before this thread I was ignorant to that fact, so I thank you, come to think of it we have over 20 days of cruising with no points received because we used the wrong TA (they have 2 divisions discount/retail. Even though we paid full retail we did not get points.)

Really I am going to take a cruise JUST for Platinum status? Illogical assumption!

Edited by Newleno

Look at NCL's own wording:

https://www.ncl.com/faq#service-charge

Notice the end of the sentence, where it says, "... salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports."

See what they did there?

The service charge SUPPORTS these programs. It does not necessarily FUND these programs.

The other point is the dependent clause "that your service charge supports" is an adjective clause that modifies the conjunction of both nouns "salary" and "incentive".

In NCL's own words, the service charge supports their salary which I think we can assume is a fixed amount. The service charge supports slarary and incentive just like your cruise fare and all the $$ they get our of our wallets.

So then the recommendation for those of us who would prefer to directly tip the crew members who have "made our vacation special" as the cheerleaders like to say is - TIP DIRECTLY? (don't cheap out, do tip the full DSC amount, but distribute it as YOU see fit?)

So all the behind the scenes workers who do "such a wonderful job on our laundry and cook and serve our delicious meals" will make the same $$ whether we pay NCL the DSC, or we distribute it to the customer-facing people?

Tips in the great USA are usually based on the bill, 15-20 % is average if your experience is good. However on cruise ships for some reason people do not pay their fair share, a $750 cruise fare on a 10 day cruise pays $150 in dsc, where a cruise fare of $1500 on the same 10 day cruise pays the same $150, by traditional standard that amount should be $300. So who is actually being cheap here in regard to dsc/tip? Is it you? Did you pay 20% of the cost of your cruise in dsc?

NCL (and all the major lines) could “fix” this “problem” by simply rolling all gratuities into the overall fare like luxury lines do..but then you all would be complaining that “cruising is just too expensive”...the crew on these ships works harder than I suspect 99% of us do for much less money, the bottom line is they deserve the tips, are you really going to seek out the behind the scene people that make your MDR server or room steward’s jobs more manageable? Probably not. That’s why the pool concept works.

• Like 1

My only worry is that the raise in DSC is because a lot of people are asking for the refund...which increases what I PAY...Thoughts?

Probably very true - P&O in the UK have gone through this exact scenario and are now scrapping the auto gratuities as of May 2019. They jacked up their AG from £5 to £7 pppd and people withdrew their AGs in droves. They went to the pot once too often.

NCL have already included the 'gratuities' in the base fare in UK and EU because many people voted with their wallets against this fundamentally unfair, archaic system.

I always paid the DSC, but it used to seriously p*ss me off hearing people boasting about removing them. Fortunately, we now generally cruise on lines that do not have this system (Azamara and Regent) so we do not have this issue with the welshers there.

• Like 1

We accepted that the DSC is an included cost of the cruise. We had an OBC which we did not use. We went to the service desk and signed a form transferring the OBC money to our room steward who was a nice guy and deserved a little extra.

That was a really nice gesture. I will keep that in mind in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...
48 minutes ago, Newleno said:

well we did it, now we are all even, all past wrongs have been taken care of, however we did have to fill out a form even though we were on  the cruise at the time.

Good for you I am glad you feel better now. Hopefully now this issue will be put to rest.

9 minutes ago, cathi007 said:

Good for you I am glad you feel better now. Hopefully now this issue will be put to rest.

Well it is important for people to know that service charges can be adjusted.  We had a bigger amount in mind but due to the cruise being delayed by a day and missing a port there was already a big credit to our account.  Either way the important thing is that you "tip" for service, if service is not provided then "tip" can be adjusted. 15 day cruise and our bill was $0, thats frugal, thats loving it

Edited by Newleno