Koningsdam and Nieuw Staatendam gets a Cunard cousin.

Boytjie

I had to do a triple take. My first impression was as you suggested, but then I took a closer look at the Queen Victoria and was not sure I saw a significant difference between that and this new ship. Then I looked again, and I saw the differences that tie this new Cunard ship more closely to Holland America's Pinnacle class. It surely does look like a larger version of the Nieuw Statendam.

More on this in the Cunard forum.

The new Cunard ship appears to be the same profile as the HAL Pinnacle-class which have a maximum capacity of 3194 passengers. It probably has a different deck plan to allow for public space, more suites, and single accommodations lowering capacity to 3000. The air draft dictates how tall a ship can be so it won't be taller than the Konigsdam/Niew Statendam. Vancouver is said to be contemplating a new cruise terminal due to the fact that the Lions Gate Bridge is too low to allow the newer-build cruise ships to sail under and doesn't want to lose traffic to Seattle.

I looked at images of Niew Statendam and the new Cunard concept. It appears that Cunard has placed staterooms on the Lido Deck forward (where NS has her spa) and there might be an additional forward deck above that compared to New Statendam. Since Nieuw Statendam has a published capacity of 2650 passengers and Cunard is saying their new ship will accommodate around 3000 those additional people have to be housed somewhere...

Nieuw Statendam is 99,500 GT. This ship is supposed to be much larger; ~113,500 GT.

If the numbers we've seen so far stay unchanged then it will have 50% more passengers than QE or QV on a ship only 25% larger. Or, 15% more passengers than QM2 on a ship 25% smaller!:eek:

The folks on the Cunard boards seem to be quite PO'd about getting a variant of the Pinnacle class.
Yes, but to give them credit we're also seeing them acknowledging that some of their responses are not necessarily immutable:

Ok, so it's not the most aesthetically beautiful design and if there isn't a walk around promenade that will be a big mistake, but I wonder how many of the people who say they won't sail on her will actually change their minds and do so? I know I will.
I know people who disliked the design of QE and QV but after sailing on them they absolutely love them.

I'm not sure I remember seeing that sort of acknowledgement here when the first info about K'dam came out, do you?

The folks on the Cunard boards seem to be quite PO'd about getting a variant of the Pinnacle class. And I don't mean Peninsular and Oriental. Would you be surprised to learn that a major point of contention is the lack of a "proper" promenade deck?!

They reacted pretty much the same when they got the Vista they nicknamed Icky Vicky. ;)