Itineraries - False Advertisement?

Beach Life 1

I think some people need to sit back and read a book. Give Norwegian a break. :mad:

Exactly!! Working in the tech industry im pretty sure it will take weeks if not months to update all of the touch points. First the person who updates the website needs to wait for the ship schedulers to confirm the itineraries then make the updates on the site. It's not like you can just flip a switch and make the updates. A lot of involved and requires approvals/confirmations from the people planning and executives. Right now their top priority I imagine is assessing the damages on the islands and planning rerouting. Then when things settle down they will update the sites. Hence the disclaimer that things can change at any given time.

I guarantee that a goodly number of persons on the street haven't the slightest notion of what the Islands have and are still experiencing.

A lot of people will do plenty of research checking prices from one website to another before booking a cruise during a bad season for cruising.

Not everyone is a member of or lurks about on CC and most haven't any idea of the small print even after making a booking with an online agency.

OMO

bosco

Of course not. But at least for people in the US - for a couple weeks you couldn't turn on the tv without hearing about Irma and Maria. I still see photos and articles about the damage on news sites. If you were in the market for a Caribbean cruise, I would think that would cause the person to look into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

- I can see how this could be "False Advertising" - keep in mind that not only NCL but ALL cruise line are aware of the damage to the Islands.

- Another point to consider here is that the cruise lines and their agent's or working on the pending cruises changes for October / November.

- Both my DW and I were scheduled to do the Eastern Caribbean Oct 21 to 28 on the Escape - "Now" it is doing Western. We are also scheduled to do the same Western Ports the following week on the Getaway.

- It is upsetting but won't let it bother us simply because "We're on VACATION".

Edited by canadiancruiser13

I can understand but I look at it this way: 1-as said a few times" guys get over it. Every other thread is the same and no one has answers. 2-the cruise lines do not know how to advertise, not just NCL. Many are not sure where the ships will go as each day things change. Would you rather see an advertisement that says: book us and be surprised at what our itinerary will be. 3-most people booking now are so aware of the situation they are going to ask questions, either when calling NCL or when talking to their TA. I don't think it is really false advertsing just plain "don't know what to say" cause they really do not know where they will go at this stage. Yes, for the itineraries that have been changed for sure, there should be someplance that indicates that.

Is there a single person on this planet who does not know that there have been devastating hurricanes in the Caribbean? How many people, other than CC groupies, even know what destinations are western, eastern, or southern? Are there not open ports in each of these locations? Aren't the dates when these ports will open and provide a there there in flux? I think the "false advertisement" theory doesn't hold up to any real scrutiny unless you firmly believe that NCL is luring people into selecting destinations that probably won't be visited because most people are too stupid to think.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

How is NCL allowed to still advertise cruises for Eastern and Southern Caribbean when they know they will not be going to those ports? They are still advertising Eastern and Southern Cruises for October, November, December of this year, and January and February of next year. I know they can change itineraries, but when they know definitely they are not going to certain ports ahead of time, why are they still advertising for those cruises?

How do you Expect NCL to advertise ever changing port's?

New catalog's weekly?

How do you Expect NCL to advertise ever changing port's?

New catalog's weekly?

Not new catalogs; just update the website after they have communicated an entire itinerary changes from eastern to western. That way the eastern isn't still for sale. It's pretty simple on the back end; probably about a days worth of work. A lot of those changes are what feeds right into travel agent sites as well so they get updated also. I think it's pretty reasonable.

For example: Royal Caribbean has a December itinerary alteration on Liberty of the Seas; they sent a letter out last week with the itin change and it's reflected on their website and all the TA sites within a day or so of that letter going out. Easy.

Not new catalogs; just update the website after they have communicated an entire itinerary changes from eastern to western. That way the eastern isn't still for sale. It's pretty simple on the back end; probably about a days worth of work. A lot of those changes are what feeds right into travel agent sites as well so they get updated also. I think it's pretty reasonable.

For example: Royal Caribbean has a December itinerary alteration on Liberty of the Seas; they sent a letter out last week with the itin change and it's reflected on their website and all the TA sites within a day or so of that letter going out. Easy.

The world wide web is only a small part of advertising.

How do they handle paper advertisement?

How is NCL allowed to still advertise cruises for Eastern and Southern Caribbean when they know they will not be going to those ports? They are still advertising Eastern and Southern Cruises for October, November, December of this year, and January and February of next year. I know they can change itineraries, but when they know definitely they are not going to certain ports ahead of time, why are they still advertising for those cruises?

how can they change the itinary when you get report from the media that St Marteen is opening soon ( Nov 11th)

check this thread https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2549159

It's possible that the ports of these islands will be open for the ships, but then what do you do? The rest of the islands outside the port areas are devistated.

As I mentioned in a previous post, if a port is open, the ship will make a call. There may be no usable piers and everyone will have to tender in. The island or area around the port may be devastated with very limited options of activities, but there will be some type of excursion (come see where (famous landmark) used to be or the total loss of flora). The passengers may elect to not get off the ship, but the cruise lines will still be paying the port fees and taxes to the port to pump money back into the local economy.

I agree, but I guess that's why I don't see that a disclaimer is needed. Future and current bookers should have the common sense to foresee that the ship can't dock at a closed port. If you don't have enough interest in your vacation to do 5 minutes of research, then buyer beware. That person is just as likely to book during hurricane season because it's cheap and be surprised when weather issues pop up.

This. So much this.

And seriously, I love how everyone here has jumped on the bandwagon of 'NCL should change their website as soon as itineraries are officially changed'.

Um, that is what they have been doing. At first, only September and October cruises were officially changed. So, at that point, advertising for cruises in November and later still showed Eastern itineraries.

Now, November and December cruises have been changed. They notified us by email, our itineraries on My NCL show Western, and the listings on NCL.com show the exact new Western itinerary for each week.

January and further out still show Eastern. With St. Maarten and St. Thomas supposedly opening this month and next, I don't think it is unrealistic to think they can cobble together an Eastern itinerary by January. But nobody knows for sure, so they can't post changes too far in advance.

If you think this is false advertising and could be grounds for any type of legal claim, then I have another hot tip for you: Wells Fargo has *not* been posting any sort of disclaimer on their product pages that lets prospective clients know that they might be charged all kinds of fraudulent fees for accounts employees have illegally opened in customers' names! Get your lawyer on that ASAP...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Forums mobile app

The world wide web is only a small part of advertising.

How do they handle paper advertisement?

They don't need handle the paper advertisement. Catalogs have a version code and say information believed to be correct as of 123 date, subject to change. Most consumers are getting information from the internet, not going to brick and mortar agencies for catalogs printed 1+ year ago. Even so, you make the easy changes that have the biggest impact.

The world wide web probably makes up 60-70% of spend for advertising, significantly dwarfing radio and tv media, and print collateral is very small. To claim internet advertising is small is not accurate.

Frankly, if NCL is going to continue to advertise itineraries that have already been given notice of change, that is unfair of them to do.

OP, if you think it is false advertising, then take them to court.

Well, that's not going to happen. I don't think you can sue for false advertising unless you have been injured, and since no one has been on a Dec. 2017 cruise yet there is no injury.

But you can file a complaint with the FTC using their Complaint Assistant. That is step 1 of the complaint form you get when you go to https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/, click "Other" in the menu across the left, and then click "Click here for more options (page 1 of 2)" at the bottom of the list of industries. Then you can select the link for Travel, Vacations and Timeshares on the next page.

The FTC takes these complaints seriously because they know that people don't spend 10 minutes filling out the form unless they truly think the company is acting unfairly.

For my wife and I whatever NCL does with our 14 day Southern in February, really doesn't matter that much and we will as always have a great time. It would be nice to see the Islands get healed and the people safe and secure once again. HOWEVER:

To see San Juan still on the itinerary for cruises within at least the next four months is silly and impossible. If the lines mean that the ships will dock to discharge emergency aid and leave doing basically a stop and drop visit that should be stated as being a humanitarian stop only.. (This goes for all affected islands as well)

PUERTO RICO:

Before any form of tourism can even be considered the electrical service must be in working order. That means over 16 thousand miles of transmission and local lines must be REPLACED because they have been totally destroyed. Thousands of utility poles, transformers and hundreds or high voltage towers must be brought in by ship and then installed. Utility trucks by the hundreds and skilled crews to man them have to be brought in. Four thousand miles of rebuilding a month is being impossibly optimistic.

Once power is restored before it can be of any use the people have to be ready to accept and use it. Their homes, hotels and businesses must first be repaired and made ready to be electrified. Their electrical appliances, from lights to refrigerators to air conditioners to the very basic neon signs saying "OPEN FOR BUSINESS" must be repaired or in most cases replaced before the first tourist can step foot on the Island and buy so much as a cold beer.

Hundreds of miles of roads must be repaired or rebuilt after floods and lanslides have made them impassable preventing trucks from delivering needed emergency supplies. The lack of working trucks and truck drivers isn't helping as well.

Thousands and thousands of flood damaged and totalled vehicles of all types from private cars to cabs to buses must be cleared away and then replaced. MONEY-MONEY-MONEY

The Islands vast armada of revenue producing fishing and tourism boats for the most part are at the bottom of the water or piled up like cordwood on the shores and beaches. MONEY-MONEY-MONEY

An interview this morning with a lifetime resident of La Perla said that as of yet they have not had so much as a drop of water brought into the area. La Perla is the crowded poverty stricken area just below the walls of the forts within walking distance to where the ships dock in Old San Juan.

Dire predictions of a mass exodus of possibly a miilion or more from Puerto Rico to the States mostly to Florida.

Weather forecast is also problematic and we are still in the tail end of the hurricane season and now there is rain and possibly heavy rain forecast for the next few days.

I hate being a naysayer but realistically looking at the current situation I cannot imagine anything other than humanitarian aid getting off ships in San Juan for many months.

At least put a GIANT DISCLAIMER on all their ads for cruises with itineraries that continue to include ANY of the islands that have been severly damaged.

If a few hundred or for that matter ONE person makes a big enough stink about FALSE OR DECEPTIVE ADVERTISING you can be sure the press will jump all over it. EVEN WITH DISCALIMERS

If the stink reaches a politician or two the small print at the end of a booking contract saying changes can be done at the will of the line will undergo MAJOR scutiny by lawmakers who already target cruise lines for not having six foot high railings.

Whatever happens it is good to see forums like CC where people can discuss issues and inform each other of good along with not so good issues.

Happy sailing to all.

bosco

This is the official Puerto Rico Tourism site

http://puertoriconow.seepuertorico.com

We aren’t sailing until March (not NCL) but I have heard from the hotel in Old San Juan we have booked for our pre-cruise stay, and they had very little damage. They plan to start taking new bookings shortly (about 2 weeks).

I feel badly for people in the outlying areas, but the push is on to get San Juan and the tourist areas up and running as quickly as possible. The fact is that they need the money from port fees and tourism to get the rest of the island back on their feet. That’s what will, sadly, take 6-8 months maybe longer.

The Caribbean Tourism sites are reporting that St Thomas and St Maarten are doing the same. I read that they are cleaning up the main street in Charlotte Amalie and working on getting Megan’s Bay cleaned up.

I think by March our itinerary will go as planned with changes to excursions for sure. I’m hoping that we can help give these economies a boost. I plan to spend more money than I would have otherwise.

This is the official Puerto Rico Tourism site

http://puertoriconow.seepuertorico.com

We aren’t sailing until March (not NCL) but I have heard from the hotel in Old San Juan we have booked for our pre-cruise stay, and they had very little damage. They plan to start taking new bookings shortly (about 2 weeks).

I feel badly for people in the outlying areas, but the push is on to get San Juan and the tourist areas up and running as quickly as possible. The fact is that they need the money from port fees and tourism to get the rest of the island back on their feet. That’s what will, sadly, take 6-8 months maybe longer.

The Caribbean Tourism sites are reporting that St Thomas and St Maarten are doing the same. I read that they are cleaning up the main street in Charlotte Amalie and working on getting Megan’s Bay cleaned up.

I think by March our itinerary will go as planned with changes to excursions for sure. I’m hoping that we can help give these economies a boost. I plan to spend more money than I would have otherwise.

Good news for the people in Puerto Rico and hope the same is true for the other islands..

In any case we will see what we see when we are down there.

bosco

Can you provide official NCL notification regarding this cruise date? There was an announcement that they will let people know once they decide on new ports.

Can you provide official NCL notification regarding this cruise date? There was an announcement that they will let people know once they decide on new ports.

Go on to the December 3rd Roll Call. Emails were received from NCL

"In the interim, due to the destruction caused by the storm we have altered the itinerary for Norwegian Breakaway cruise departing on December 3, 2017.

Please see below for the ship's revised itinerary:

Sun New York City, New York, Us 3:00 pm

Mon At Sea

Tue Port Canaveral, Florida 1:00 pm 9:00 pm

Wed Great Stirrup Cay, Bahamas 10:00 am 6:00 pm

Thu Nassau, Bahamas 7:00 am 3:00 pm

Fri At Sea

Sat Costa Maya, Mexico 7:00 am 3:00 pm

Sun George Town, Grand Cayman 11:00 am 7:00 pm

Mon Ocho Rios, Jamaica 9:00 am 7:00 pm

Tue At Sea

Wed At Sea

Thu At Sea

Fri New York City, New York 8:00 am"

If true they need to change it and according to the roll call NCL said it will take a week or so to update the changes to the websites with everything that has happened.

Maybe they are thinking they might try to hit those ports now and decided to wait a little more before making it official on their website.

Still would not call it false advertisement. Just a bad and tough situation to be in.

I am affected by this too but I understand this is a tough time and to me I feel fortunate enough to be on a cruise and yes I spent a ton of money on a certain itinerary but i am not going to complain about it. Just make the most of it and have a great time.