Any new news on when Orient Beach will be able to welcome day visitors again

Schplinky

I am sure that it will likely be more than a year before all traces of storm damage are erased and every establishment is rebuilt.

But you could probably buy "... a beer from a tent and a cooler..." at any of those spots right now. A month from now, things will be better, two months - significantly better, three or four months - a whole lot better.

The person who is fooling himself is the one who is unable to recognize progress as it occurs --- and who thinks negativity translates to anything but negativity.

Obviously things will get better slowly. If you listen to people who know the problems from being there, they are saying that this tourist season is lost for most businesses on the French side. None of your “quotes” is going to change the facts so spare me

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Obviously things will get better slowly. If you listen to people who know the problems from being there, they are saying that this tourist season is lost for most businesses on the French side. None of your “quotes” is going to change the facts so spare me

Sorry you do not like positive comments, there are plenty of negatives out there - but you should focus on them now because I think you will hear/read increasing first person reports about recovery on the island.

• 1 month later...

Is there any update to the beach progress. The video on the beach destruction is heartbreaking. We are scheduled to arrive in a few weeks ( January 3, 2018).

We normally hang at one of the beach clubs on Orient Beach ( generally not Club Orient). We want to get off the ship and help the local economy. Any recommendations? If we can't do a beach day, are local restaurant open down town?

Thanks, M

Just received e-mail from RCL that our Orient Beach Beach extravaganza tour has been replaced with Kim Sha Beach in Simpson Bay. Our Anthem ship's port stop is Feb. 1st. Never been to Kim Sha Beach--would appreciate any feed back.

Interesting that Princess is offering excursions to Orient Beach for our Jan 20 2018 cruise on the Crown. They are either doing a bait and switch, knowing it will not be ready in time and just changing to Kim Sha Beach after you get to the ship. Or, they are hopeful that it will be ready by then.

So what are recommendations for a stop the first week in January. Have been at least a dozen times so now just usually go to one of the beach clubs at orient beach. We have done some private snorkeling tours excursions ( Captain Alan's boats), been to Maho Beach etc. Haven't been told the stop is substituted.

Thanks, M

So what are recommendations for a stop the first week in January. Have been at least a dozen times so now just usually go to one of the beach clubs at orient beach. We have done some private snorkeling tours excursions ( Captain Alan's boats), been to Maho Beach etc. Haven't been told the stop is substituted.

Thanks, M

I would suggest looking into a ships tour. They probably secured some of the best excursions. At least look there first would be my suggestion. With one day there I wouldn't wing it this time. I would plan this day and just taxi to the beach at another island.

I would suggest looking into a ships tour. They probably secured some of the best excursions. At least look there first would be my suggestion. With one day there I wouldn't wing it this time. I would plan this day and just taxi to the beach at another island.

Thx - but, the other planned stop in San Juan, and we are only there from 7am-2pm. There are limited excursions there too. We are not a fan of ship excursions and have done private excursion almost exclusively for the past 10 or so years. Hopefully we'll have a nice beach day for Labadee.

M

For those interested in a beach day, might I suggest Karakter Beach. Adjacent to Mary's Boon (near the airport) it has a fantastic beach and servers breakfast, lunch and dinner. A favorite spot. They worked extremely hard to get back up and running and their first "event" was to host Dutch Marines who helped in the initial recovery efforts.

Downtown restaurants that I know are open are the Holland House and Blue Bitch Bar both right on the boardwalk.

https://www.thedailyherald.sx/islands/71425-kim-sha-beach-designated-as-market-activity-area-for-cruise

I seriously doubt that any of the cruiselines will be running excursions up to Orient Beach.

But if the beach is in decent shape and the roads are clear and taxis are running, is it do-able now? I've got till May, but Club Orient's Facebook updates have been encouraging.

It will be a year before Orient, Anse Marcel, and Grand Case are back to near what they were. If you think otherwise, you’re fooling yourself. Can you enjoy sitting on Orient with a beer bought from a tent and cooler, sure, but don’t think it will be the same experience

Going in with the proper expectations, what is wrong with that? Who is fooling anyone or even trying to?

Thx - but, the other planned stop in San Juan, and we are only there from 7am-2pm. There are limited excursions there too. We are not a fan of ship excursions and have done private excursion almost exclusively for the past 10 or so years. Hopefully we'll have a nice beach day for Labadee.

M

I would still look at the cruise tours. They may have secured the best of the limited private excursions on St. Maarten things are different now.

If you are looking for a beach day in St. Maarten check our Karakter Beach Bar on Simpson Bay Beach.

At this point, I think one "could" go to Orient beach and there "might" be people there renting chairs and selling beer out of coolers. What would be productive to know is if this is actually happening and what the bathroom situation is. It was rustic to begin with at some of the beach clubs but they are all mostly gone now.

At this point, I think one "could" go to Orient beach and there "might" be people there renting chairs and selling beer out of coolers. What would be productive to know is if this is actually happening and what the bathroom situation is. It was rustic to begin with at some of the beach clubs but they are all mostly gone now.

You bring up a good point I will follow up with and being I still have 130 days to go, I'll stay on top of it. There "are" people renting chairs and umbrellas outside of Club Orient. But I haven't seen mention of bathrooms, a good point for people there hours at a time. I'll ask. While I tend to belittle people who depend on Facebook for their news, Facebook as been providing some of the most up to date and reliable reports from the islands from the people directly involved. The people at Club O whom I've seen post for years are posting now so I trust their updates.

I would still look at the cruise tours. They may have secured the best of the limited private excursions on St. Maarten things are different now.

If you are looking for a beach day in St. Maarten check our Karakter Beach Bar on Simpson Bay Beach.

Have you ever done a day pass at Simpson bay resort? It just opened on our activities options... we were set to go to Karakter but think this might be good...

anyone been there on a day pass?

Have you ever done a day pass at Simpson bay resort? It just opened on our activities options... we were set to go to Karakter but think this might be good...

anyone been there on a day pass?

I stayed there years ago. 1993 to be exact. Is the pass at the marina building? It's a newer section more on its own. I know that the timeshare right next door is closed for the next year or so due to the hurricane. I do not think that the Simpson Bay resort is up and running either. I would stick to Karakter. The beach is so much nicer there. Simpson Bay resort is not on Simpson Bay beach.

We are on Celebrity Eclipse March 18, 2018 sailing with stop @ St Maarten March 21.

Originally booked a shorex: day at the beach in Orient Beach, today reviewing Celebrity site the brochure mentions Kim Sha Beach.

Great We are going to St Maarten

Stopped at Orient Beach while on our Bernard's Taxi Tour on Dec 26. I have no idea of what it looked like before, but there were two or three tents selling stuff and down the beach to the right I saw a line of loungers with yellow umbrellas. We stopped for 90 min at Friars Bay on the French side. Restaurants, loungers, and restrooms were available. Our ship offered excursions to KimSha Beach.