Escape From Miami - Kinda, Sorta "Live From" - October 7-14, 2017

POA1

In a post with something for everyone, The National Institute of Cheer reveals its favorite bars on board the Escape:

The Florida Contingent likes the Prime Meridian Bar and Tobacco Road best. The New Jersey Contingent is still compiling results. I'd call them to ask, but it's not even 5:00 AM, so that's probably not the best idea.

We returned from dinner last night to find that Poohby Joe had a new friend: Towel Tigger.

37dc8bc0e3d779326762428ea53316ee.jpg

Weird trivia item of the day:

Our room is on the port side of the ship, but we were docked portside out the whole trip.

LOL- that happened to me on my last cruise. We were sailing north to south, so I chose port side cause we would be facing the land as we sailed. Of course, we were far enough out in international waters that there wasn't much land to see most of the time. And then we docked portside out in every single port. Even the tender ports had portside facing away from the shore.

So much for watching for pier runners from my balcony. ;)

Thanks for this delightful review! You and Pooby Joe convinced me to book a cabana on my upcoming HAL cruise and now you've got me looking at NCL cruises!

The National Institute of Cheer's Chicago branch office (Department of Deep Dish Pizza and all things Wind) wanted to thank you for your great review and let you know that work activities will return to normal after a week of following along.

b9dd35f0da82291e7175f32b93b4c9d7.jpg

(Phone source: https://soldoutposters.com/collections/jc-rivera/products/pizza-party-2016-jc-rivera-poster-galerie-f-chicago)

We're home, unpacked with laundry started. (Seriously miss our HAL free laundry and pressing.) My father-in-law is on his way. Review to resume later after a brief intermission.

Was pooh bear with Towel Tigger when you got to the room? cute pic.

Don't worry about the obesity report. It has NOTHING to do with your one week cruise ending :D:')

No. The towel animal was on the bed. Poohby was on the sofa.

Fun time, POA1 - thanks for providing a refreshing new voice around these parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My pleasure. When my wife and I read your live froms, she told me that that the bar was set pretty high on the NCL board.

I still have a bunch of stuff to post. The restaurant manager provided paper copies of the restaurant and MDR menus that we'll need to scan and post. We also have our photos, restaurant reviews and what not.

First, we have to wash our clothes, get some groceries, and yell at the television during the Ohio State v Nebraska game tonight.*

Dinner tonight is at Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza on Federal Highway in Fort Lauderdale. This is the original Anthony's location and they have great pizza and a decent beer selection. Then we have an excursion planned to visit the Publix Supermarket on SE 17th Street, where will will get to touch real live groceries. It's probably not up there with the sloths in the warm and fuzzy department, but are really low on food.

Our excursion then makes a stop at Total Wine, also in the Harbor Shops on SE 17th Street, where will lay in a supply of football beer.

Tomorrow's plans are to sleep in, and perhaps go to the beach. It's downstairs and we can probably get an elevator with ease. There's also zero chance that any of our neighbors will try to get in before other people get out.

*-That would be Huskerchick's job.

This was so much fun

I have to say, every time I sail out of ft Lauderdale I look towards where you live and say, I want to live there!

Our second cruise was on the Maasdam in 1997, out of Port Everglades. When we saw the people waving and blowing air horns at the ships, we felt the same way. We thought it would be cool to live there. We pulled the trigger in 2007 and split our time between our house in Maine and our condo in Florida for several years. We moved to Florida full time in late 2013.

In case you were wondering, sitting on your balcony for cruise ship cocktails is pretty cool.

Dinner tonight is at Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza on Federal Highway in Fort Lauderdale. This is the original Anthony's location and they have great pizza and a decent beer selection. Then we have an excursion planned to visit the Publix Supermarket on SE 17th Street, where will will get to touch real live groceries. It's probably not up there with the sloths in the warm and fuzzy department, but are really low on food.

I've been reading all week and am glad you had a good trip.

I'm looking at hotels in FLL for next month and when I look, I always check out the surrounding area. I just saw this Anthony's location up the street from a hotel. At least if we stay there, I know there's a place to eat nearby!

We have only cruised the midsize ships on ncl. The spirit twice and the dawn a lot. Did you find the escape feeling crowded in comparison to the midsize ships? I have hesitated to try the large ships for this reason. Would like to know your opinion. Was it hard to get into the shows, restaurants and activities?
Yes, the Escape is crowded and a whole 'nother animal all together.

We prefer the Jewel class, but will do the Escape again in April. :) Also, the Breakaway over NYE. But the Escape has its advantages ... I mean there is so much more to do! However, we missed The Great Outdoors for sure.

As I'm sure you know, we have a hard stop at 2:00 AM. DW and I are back in the sleep chamber - because safety is our #1 priority.

When we left The Tobacco Road Bar a few minutes ago, my sainted brother-in-law was headed out in search of his wife (AlexandNessa.) She was last sighted at "Howl at the Moon," the dueling pianos bar. I saw this movie a few nights ago. It doesn't end well. DBIL and DSIL are driving to Orlando to go to Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Orlando after they disembark in the morning. I wish them the best of luck.

Probably a good call not to join at H@tM. There was dancing. Not all of it pretty.

Also, this happened there. There are plenty of pics like this. (I'm doing this from my phone. I have no idea if the pic will post in the right place)

As POA mentioned, we had an owner's suite and our good friends had the deluxe owner's suite right next door. That's 6 bottles of booze between us (plus UBP). We had a "kill the liquor" party yesterday in the DOS, and played cards against humanity all afternoon with our friends, after sending the kiddos off.

If you're not familiar with Cards Against Humanity, check it out. It got way, way funny as the game wore on, which had absolutely nothing to do with any liquor killing. Zero correlation. We only managed to kill 3 bottles of the liquor over the course of a week. Two went home untouched with my pony Steve. The third has a small dent, which we brought to Universal with us.

We are huge fans of the Hard Rock Hotel @ Universal Orlando, and they are apparently huge fans of us also. Prior to checking in, DH and I made a grocery stop for beer, water, groceries, Scooby snacks. We spent about 100$ only to find they comped us Club Level.

It's like the UBP all over again! I'm 45 for Pete's sake. My liver is literally screaming. bb45eaaef993a71aa391b132eadeee9d.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Forums mobile app