BIG Wake-Up Call-The NCL Free Drinks/Other Promos ain`t Free at all!!!

TNCruzer56

We`ve done 4 of the promo cruises. The 1st two were comparable in price with other lines and then the base fares started going up. Yesterday I switched from the Dawn in March to a similar itinerary/dates on Oasis of the Seas. It was $1000. (ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS) LESS for the 2 of us.

The Oasis is a much nicer ship so good for you. You got a deal. But I don't think that is the norm as Royal rarely, if ever, offers "free" drink packages.

In my opinion its the same unless Royal change there price. You can buy the package from royal and it costs about the same as getting the free perk from NCL after you pay the gratuity on $89pp. If i look at the bottom line cost its not to much different.

This isn't news.

It was to me! And perhaps others. But glad that you are so smart!

The Oasis is a much nicer ship so good for you. You got a deal. But I don't think that is the norm as Royal rarely, if ever, offers "free" drink packages.

They are offering a discounted drink pkg. If I buy it, we`ll still be $500 ahead! And Thanks-I`m not married to any cruise line, but these mega ships have so much in the way of non-stop entertainment. You can find live music anytime at several spots.

Wow! You did get a great deal! Congratulations!

Thank you for posting of your experience. I had read that the freebies aren't free, but I haven't seen too many specific cost savings posts (though I am sure I have just missed seeing them as I'm not on the site that much unless I'm booked on a cruise or have recently come off a cruise).

Enjoy your cruise! One day I'm going to try a Royal Caribbean cruise.

In the cruise industry nothings free. I booked an inside guarantee. I could have gotten a Sail-away rate for $200 less but then I would not have gotten the "free" Drink Package. Then I had to pay close to $100 pp for a service charge on the "free" package.

When I book a cruise I use a spreadsheet and price everything out. Sometimes it makes sense to avoid the "free" stuff.

BTW: My upcoming Epic cruise will be the cheapest cruise I have ever gone on and that includes the Drink Package, 4-night specialty dining and all related service charges.

Every sailing has to be evaluated on its own based on line, itinerary, ship, dates, etc. I would make the switch you made in a heart beat. I've wanted to cruise on royal but every time we go to pick a cruise and choose dates and itinerary - royal is the most expensive. There's no answer that is always right.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In the cruise industry nothings free. I booked an inside guarantee. I could have gotten a Sail-away rate for $200 less but then I would not have gotten the "free" Drink Package. Then I had to pay close to $100 pp for a service charge on the "free" package.

When I book a cruise I use a spreadsheet and price everything out. Sometimes it makes sense to avoid the "free" stuff.

BTW: My upcoming Epic cruise will be the cheapest cruise I have ever gone on and that includes the Drink Package, 4-night specialty dining and all related service charges.

But a bigger benefit is that you got to choose your cabin.

DH and I are not drinkers and we are not eaters....I don't want "free" wi-fi or excursion credit....so I end up with guarantees. I'd love it if one of the freebies was to choose your cabin.

Because we don't want any of the freebies, I've seen since day one that their cost is built into the price, so not free at all.

With OP....he just found a better deal.

This doesn't make sense. If I find an NCL cruise that is considerably cheaper than a comparable RCI cruise (not hard to do) does that mean that suddenly the 'free drinks' are back to being free again?

Every sailing has to be evaluated on its own based on line, itinerary, ship, dates, etc. I would make the switch you made in a heart beat. I've wanted to cruise on royal but every time we go to pick a cruise and choose dates and itinerary - royal is the most expensive. There's no answer that is always right.

Check today-RCL is running a 2nd guest 1/2 price promo and free grats and a $100. balc discount. It all added up to the 1K savings. Promo ends tomorrow....if one can believe anything that any line says about promos:o

This doesn't make sense. If I find an NCL cruise that is considerably cheaper than a comparable RCI cruise (not hard to do) does that mean that suddenly the 'free drinks' are back to being free again?

We quickly found out on our Jade cruz(Northern Europe) a month ago that NCL prices European guests different that US Pax. A few of the Scots and Brits were upset that they got different rates and perks.

-

Also I`m not saying that EVERY cruz on RCL will be cheaper...Just take a look. You never know until you check!

Looks like you are very Brand loyal. Hope that you look around. Heck, we sailed out of Venice a couple of months after the Concordia disaster on Costa and got the best cruz deal ever.

Check today-RCL is running a 2nd guest 1/2 price promo and free grats and a $100. balc discount. It all added up to the 1K savings. Promo ends tomorrow....if one can believe anything that any line says about promos:o

Just so this also doesn't become "news" . . .

The cost of 1/2 the 2nd guest, free grats, and the $100 discount are built into the sale price. They are not free...you are paying for them.

We quickly found out on our Jade cruz(Northern Europe) a month ago that NCL prices European guests different that US Pax. A few of the Scots and Brits were upset that they got different rates and perks.

-

Also I`m not saying that EVERY cruz on RCL will be cheaper...Just take a look. You never know until you check!

Looks like you are very Brand loyal. Hope that you look around. Heck, we sailed out of Venice a couple of months after the Concordia disaster on Costa and got the best cruz deal ever.

I've priced RCI a few times and found the prices horrendous. But I agree there is a big difference between UK and US prices lately.

Geeeeeze-I put out a post that Might, just might save a few folks some $$$$ and who shows up:

NCL-Godmothers-2.jpg

Have a great day and weekend everybody!

Don’t mind them showing up.

Geeeeeze-I put out a post that Might, just might save a few folks some $$$$ and who shows up:

NCL-Godmothers-2.jpg

Have a great day and weekend everybody!

Sorry snowflake . . . I must have missed the "Here is a money saving idea" in the title of your thread...and in your first post.

Perhaps if you used a more helpful tone instead of jumping on everyone with a weak, snarky reply your intent might have been more obvious.

Better luck next time.

The prices fluctuate and sales come and go. I float between RCI, NCL, and Carnival depending on who has the better deal at the time. RCI used to be the more expensive line, but they have run some pretty good promotions lately. I got a very nice price drop recently. Congratulations to the OP for finding a cruise that makes them happy.

It was to me! And perhaps others. But glad that you are so smart!

They are offering a discounted drink pkg. If I buy it, we`ll still be $500 ahead! And Thanks-I`m not married to any cruise line, but these mega ships have so much in the way of non-stop entertainment. You can find live music anytime at several spots.

Wow. How much of a discount? I left RCL years ago because believe it or not, Celebrity worked out to be lower because of the drink package. I like Royal but have been priced out so I’m curious what the comparison was, NCL priced out vs Oasis.

We`ve done 4 of the promo cruises. The 1st two were comparable in price with other lines and then the base fares started going up. Yesterday I switched from the Dawn in March to a similar itinerary/dates on Oasis of the Seas. It was $1000. (ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS) LESS for the 2 of us.

Oasis is a great ship I have heard, you got a good deal. Just be happy. That doesn't mean had you booked on the same date you booked the Dawn the price would be so great. I know a couple on NCL, New England right now who switched from RCI to NCL because they got a much better deal on NCL. Timing is everything.

Just go and enjoy your cruise. Be happy with your decision without telling everyone on CC NCL tread how much you saved. It isn't going to impress many people I don't think. :eek:

If you posted to encourage people to sail RCI or some other line, I don't think that will go over big here. most of us know how to price cruises, figuring in everything. I know for us, even if the price was similar, knowing our specialty dining and drinks were all paid up front is a great feeling. Oh and btw could you explain how sailing out of San Juan and sailing out of Port Canaveral is even similar in any way? Also dates: even a week different in sailing dates can make a huge difference in pricing, especially when you are talking schoo break time which you are.

Edited by newmexicoNita