Post-Maria cell coverage -- Verizon specifically

brookie848

• 2 weeks later...

Have Verizon, just got back on Wednesday. Service was extremely spotty. Some texts would send, some wouldn't. Sometimes I could get pics through but not texts. Couldn't access anything online really but somehow Facebook was ok most of the time. We did turn on data roaming on our phones. We went thinking we wouldn't have any service so we were pleased with the spotty service we got.

Have Verizon, just got back on Wednesday. Service was extremely spotty. Some texts would send, some wouldn't. Sometimes I could get pics through but not texts. Couldn't access anything online really but somehow Facebook was ok most of the time. We did turn on data roaming on our phones. We went thinking we wouldn't have any service so we were pleased with the spotty service we got.

Thanks for the update!

Here is an excerpt from an interview with Nicola Palmer, chief network officer at Verizon Wireless, from the WSJ yesterday:

WSJ: What happened to the cell network in Puerto Rico?

MS. PALMER: We don’t actually provide our own service in Puerto Rico. When our customers go there, we use roaming partners [Claro and Open Mobile]. So, we don’t have our own towers or switches, but we’re working closely with FEMA and both providers down there. I’m sending people and other resources, along with some assets, and we’re doing our very best. Besides the money we’ve pledged, we’re also providing our expertise.

I went to Puerto Rico last week to visit family. I also have Verizon. As mentioned above, Verizon usually uses the Claro network in PR and it works like in the US, but right now various companies are sharing networks. My phone worked and showed a strong signal as soon as I turned it on when we landed. As I drove away from San Juan, the signal became spotty and there were many points when I had no service. Once I got to the west side of the island, service was spotty. Sometimes it would show full signal with Claro, then it would show AT&T and then it would show no service, and it would just cycle through, even without moving from one location. Just have some patience. You may see people parked on the side of the highway trying to get a signal from a nearby tower.

But overall, everyone is reporting that communications are gradually improving although slowly and not always reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were there on Royal's Adventure on 10/6/17 and 10/7. After the cruise, we stayed at CasaBlanca, in OSJ for two nights.

We have Verizon too. Service was spotty all around San Juan, but better than the news reports. The front desk said it was good on the rooftop, which it was. A few suggestions:

If you need to stay in contact with someone back home, make a plan for Internet solutions. It's much easier getting an email out on wifi than placing a phone call. The same goes on the ship.

I had a trip plan document that included all the places I wanted to see and a list of restaurants. I even looked up the restaurant reviews beforehand. That way, I didn't have to look up things as we walked around. I loaded the doc on my phone before we left home. I revised it on the ship, because some were posting "we are open now".

I preloaded a Google map on my phone. This works quite well. I also used preloaded maps in the islands where I didn't think we would have service, like Antigua. Also, not a bad idea to have one of those paper tourist maps.

You almost don't need a map in OSJ. It's not very large. Then again, you might be headed to a particular attraction, so the map helps.

Some of the restaurants have wifi, if needed.

It is a good chance to "unplug". Talk with those in your group. If you don't want to talk to them, [emoji3] , talk to the locals. They are friendly.

Dan

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from San Juan with Verizon service. We flew in on 10/28 and returned on 11/4 for turnaround day on B2B cruise then again on 11/11 at end of cruise. My husband and I have same phone on same plan. He was able to get data service and make phone calls while I could only text. I could only get service if I turned on roaming. He got nothing on the 28th or 4th, but on the 11th he was connected as expected. So, I would say it's not at usual performance, but is improving.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been in San Juan 3 Saturdays in a row, doing B2B cruises. Verizon data services in San Juan are remarkably better this weekend. At 6 am today, the Speed test app shows 4 Mbps download and 1.3 Mbps upload. In simple terms, it's plenty fast enough for social media.

Last Saturday, it was so slow as to be unusable.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Forums mobile app

• 2 months later...
Silly question - Since Puerto Rico is not international, do I need a special plan to avoid extra charges for using my Verizon cell phone? I'll probably only use it twice but thought I should check.

You shouldn't. But check with Verizon. For many years, they had a plan that didn't really include Puerto Rico- it was THE reason we changed from Verizon to Sprint.

I think they have changed to be more like the rest of the companies that have normal plans for Puerto Rico and the USVI.

Your Verizon plan works in San Juan just like it does back home. Same for the US Virgin Islands. However, your coverage most definitely won't be the same quality. Last time we were in San Juan was a couple years ago, and even then the service was not that great in Old San Juan. Data never worked great in that area at ground level. The rest of metropolitan San Juan was great, though.

Thanks for the advice! I only anticipate using it a couple of times to coordinate with family members who will also be in Puerto Rico pre-cruise, but flying in at different times and staying at another hotel. Hopefully we won't have too much trouble.