If you have ACTUALLY STAYED at a hotel in SJ SINCE Oct 1...please list here

skiiergirl

We were booked at the Hyatt House San Juan in a couple weeks that I had booked pre-hurricane. I tried contacting the hotel several times to no avail, so I booked an AirBnb as backup. The Airbnb was actually much nicer and a better deal than the hotel so I was planning on staying there. The problem was that I had booked on Hotwire, so getting my money back would be tricky. But I called a couple times and explained that I had to make alternate arrangements since I couldn't get a hold of the hotel. After some persistence I was able to get them to cancel the reservation and refund my money. So if anyone is in the same predicament, Hotwire will refund.

Does anyone have any recent information on the Sheraton in Old San Juan? Is it still housing FEMA workers and cancelling reservations? I've looked through this thread, but see no mention of it since mid November. Thanks :-)

I have had my eye out as well, and it’s odd that such a popular pre-cruise hotel has had no updates since the hurricanes to let us know :(

I did read a review on Trip Advisor from January 5th that I assume is recent and from an actual tourist (not a FEMA worker), however that person didn’t say when they actually stayed there. Every now and then someone will post a review for somewhere they stayed a year or so ago, so who knows.

All the previous reviews were from FEMA workers (the last one being Dec 26th).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have had my eye out as well, and it’s odd that such a popular pre-cruise hotel has had no updates since the hurricanes to let us know :(

I did read a review on Trip Advisor from January 5th that I assume is recent and from an actual tourist (not a FEMA worker), however that person didn’t say when they actually stayed there. Every now and then someone will post a review for somewhere they stayed a year or so ago, so who knows.

All the previous reviews were from FEMA workers (the last one being Dec 26th).

I noticed just after the new year, they updated their web page and removed the red notation stating they were not taking reservations until after January 8th. I tried to book on their page and can book for the upcoming week so I think they are back to normal and accepting new reservations. I have a reservation booked months ago with Air Miles, for January 21st to 23rd. I emailed the hotel reservations desk direct and received two replies, three minutes apart... First one telling me they had a three night minimum and then the second confirmed my pre-booked reservation, and advised me that they looked forward to seeing me. I printed off that email and I'm taking it with me, just in case.

I noticed just after the new year, they updated their web page and removed the red notation stating they were not taking reservations until after January 8th. I tried to book on their page and can book for the upcoming week so I think they are back to normal and accepting new reservations. I have a reservation booked months ago with Air Miles, for January 21st to 23rd. I emailed the hotel reservations desk direct and received two replies, three minutes apart... First one telling me they had a three night minimum and then the second confirmed my pre-booked reservation, and advised me that they looked forward to seeing me. I printed off that email and I'm taking it with me, just in case.

Thank you! I’m so glad to hear this. Have a great trip.

Following we have a reservation Feb 7-10. Hope all goes well!

• 2 weeks later...

Currently checked into Doubletree - no complaints - everyone has been friendly at the hotel and outside. I think there should be no hesitation staying in San Juan - there has been many examples of how welcoming the locals have been to us - looking forward to the next couple days here.

Travel to and from the airport and walking the streets has been no different than any other travel destination I have been to.

Currently checked into Doubletree - no complaints - everyone has been friendly at the hotel and outside. I think there should be no hesitation staying in San Juan - there has been many examples of how welcoming the locals have been to us - looking forward to the next couple days here.

Travel to and from the airport and walking the streets has been no different than any other travel destination I have been to.

S8ince there for a few days I highly recommend you visit the bar/restaurant on top of the Hotel Milano in OSJ. It was great discovery. Greatrooftop view and SUPER $5.00 Pina Coladas. The food is great and a real bargain. And the young staff is so friendly. (If you get Mervin or Tatania as wait staff tell them "Steve from Philadelphia" says hi.

S

60and happy.... let us know how it goes at Sheraton OSJ. I don't have reservations until mid April.... so am hoping if you are in with no problem, by April I hopefully have no worries.....

We checked in from January 21-23 with no issues at all. Booked months ago with Airmiles and had the pleasant surprise that a buffet breakfast was included both mornings. Lovely staff, very nice, clean property... loved the hot tub and pool... we had a brief power outage on the Sunday night but it was the last night of the San Sebastian festival and Old San Juan was hopping with crazy crowds and over 30 000 people.

We checked in from January 21-23 with no issues at all. Booked months ago with Airmiles and had the pleasant surprise that a buffet breakfast was included both mornings. Lovely staff, very nice, clean property... loved the hot tub and pool... we had a brief power outage on the Sunday night but it was the last night of the San Sebastian festival and Old San Juan was hopping with crazy crowds and over 30 000 people.

Nice time hear RobinCruiser. Thanks for your post!

Arrived at the Acacia hotel tonight. The restaurant was all booked up. I was able to look at the restaurant and it was very expensive. Upwards of $30-$40 per plate. The a/c and lights work. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. They did say there’s a phone in the room, but i have yet to locate it. Lots of steps made of Spanish tile. Seems it could be slippery to those with balance problems. It is within walking distance of restaurants, but it isn’t fraught with open meter holes and broken stones, which can be hard to see in the dark. The hotel itself is very quaint. It’s surrounded by two giant commercial hotels. The pool is in a neat location overlooking what seems to be the beach. (It’s hard to tell in the dark). I’ll attached a couple of pictures of my room in another post. They say they have WiFi, but my iPhone can not locate it.

Arrived at the Acacia hotel tonight. The restaurant was all booked up. I was able to look at the restaurant and it was very expensive. Upwards of $30-$40 per plate. The a/c and lights work. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. They did say there’s a phone in the room, but i have yet to locate it. Lots of steps made of Spanish tile. Seems it could be slippery to those with balance problems. It is within walking distance of restaurants, but it isn’t fraught with open meter holes and broken stones, which can be hard to see in the dark. The hotel itself is very quaint. It’s surrounded by two giant commercial hotels. The pool is in a neat location overlooking what seems to be the beach. (It’s hard to tell in the dark). I’ll attached a couple of pictures of my room in another post. They say they have WiFi, but my iPhone can not locate it.

I meant it is fraught with open meter holes. Not “isn’t”.

Thanks for the update! Good to hear....

• 2 weeks later...
We are at the Sheraton Old San Juan. Great hotel, great location. Expect for a number of FEMA workers at the hotel all seems normal. Everyone we meet is friendly and apprecitative of our presence and business.

Thanks for the update!!!! Puts my mind a little more at ease. Enjoy your cruise!

Last week our hotel (Coral Princess) we had booked for several months had to cancel, because of flooding. We had to scramble to find a new hotel that wasn't way out of our price range or the reviews were horrible, this close to cruising most hotels were booked full. We ended up booking with Hotel Iberia. I am a little scared because it had very mixed reviews. Thankfully we fly in really late and won't be spending much time the first night so if it is really awful then we will find a different hotel for our 2 night stay after the cruise. Does anyone have reviews for Hotel Iberia?

Last week our hotel (Coral Princess) we had booked for several months had to cancel, because of flooding. We had to scramble to find a new hotel that wasn't way out of our price range or the reviews were horrible, this close to cruising most hotels were booked full. We ended up booking with Hotel Iberia. I am a little scared because it had very mixed reviews. Thankfully we fly in really late and won't be spending much time the first night so if it is really awful then we will find a different hotel for our 2 night stay after the cruise. Does anyone have reviews for Hotel Iberia?

Have you looked to see if the acacia boutique hotel is opened? We stayed there and it was nice.

Did you check Hotel Milano. It was like $125 and in GREAT location in OSJ. No, I didn't stay there but had drinks and great meal on their rooftop restaurant. Recommend that restaurant anyway.

BTW, be prepared for limited use of your cell phone (especiallyVerizon) even though it is considered US.

Stayed at La Concha Jan 26 & 27, property is spotless, other than one window to the gym, you would never know it went through a cat 4 hurricane. Even the landscaping doesn't look like it had any damage.

25dbb

Has anyone stayed at Decanter Hotel? We just booked there.

We just did. Highly recommend. I have pics, will try to upload tomorrow. Just got back last night, stayed on the 3rd, but stopped there yesterday. We were in an interior room, but it had outdoor space in the middle of the building.

Thank you all for the suggestions. None of those hotels were available but I was able to score really good deals on Hotel Miramar for our one night before cruise and the Best Western for the 2 nights after the cruise. They both had really good reviews and I feel so much better about staying at them versus the other hotel we had booked and it is only costing about $70 more than the other hotel.