If you have ACTUALLY STAYED at a hotel in SJ SINCE Oct 1...please list here

skiiergirl

Stayed at Hotel Milano. About 2 or 3 blocks from San Cristabal fort. It's older hotel. The water wasn't fixed right, so sign by shower saying it works opposite. Hot is cold, cold is hot. The elevator is also weird. You have to wait for the door to close before picking floor or will get stuck according to sign. It makes a bad rattle when reaches the floor. Room was clean. No washcloths. When called front desk I couldn't get phone to work. The staff is friendly. They chained our luggage together and held it for us, so we could explore until our room was ready. No parking. Was there on a Sat. night. Some party close by that was loud until early AM. Cars would then drive by with their music blaring.

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone stayed at Decanter Hotel? We just booked there.

We are looking into booking there.

BTW, loved your review of the last time you cruised out of PR. It has helped me a ton with planning. When are y'all headed out on this route again?! Can't wait to see that review.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We checked in from January 21-23 with no issues at all. Booked months ago with Airmiles and had the pleasant surprise that a buffet breakfast was included both mornings. Lovely staff, very nice, clean property... loved the hot tub and pool... we had a brief power outage on the Sunday night but it was the last night of the San Sebastian festival and Old San Juan was hopping with crazy crowds and over 30 000 people.

Thank you RobinCruiser and 60andhappy...your reports put our minds at ease. Have stayed at Sheraton OSJ on previous occasions and have loved the property. We were able to get a good rate for our May 2018 pre-cruise stay thru a 3rd party site that includes WiFi and breakfast. Happy to hear that things are getting back to normal.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from our cruise. On the way down we had booked Hotel Miramar but we ended up being delayed in Orlando overnight so we didn't end up staying there. We had a no cancellation policy but the hotel did tell me that we could have a credit there for a year, better than nothing I suppose but we won't be there within a year to use it. On the 2 nights after the cruise we stayed at Palm Condado Suites Best Western Plus and it was really nice. Our room was large with a king bed, walk in closet with fridge, safe, coffee maker, and microwave and the best part was the balcony. It also had a really basic continental breakfast. The bathroom was fully remodeled with a big walk in shower and we had a balcony. We scored a deal on Hotels.com for $125 and then with taxes and fees came to $167. It was well worth that. It was very centrally located to many restaurants, stores, and the beach was one block down. We were very happy with our stay at this hotel.

We recently returned from 5 days (pre and post cruise combined) from the Hotel Casa Blanca. Everything was up and running. We enjoyed this hotel very much. If you are looking for modern conveniences and a large room, this is not the place for you. We had a standard queen, no window. There was no storage, you had a place to hang up about 3 shirts. The bathrooms have a shower only. The rooms have a safe and coffee maker. No hairdryer. Everything was very clean. We did not care for the beds, but that could just be our preference, we are used to pillow-top. The elevator worked, we used it to go up, we walked the stairs down. The Wi-Fi did not work well in the room, it was fine in the lobby. The restaurant was not open, no mention of when it might re-open. The staff (Miguel and Cynthia) were welcoming and every request was met immediately and with a smile. The location of this hotel is perfect, 5 minutes walk from Fort Cristobal and numerous restaurants lining Fortaleza Street. You can walk to the pier in about 10 minutes, just remember that you have to walk uphill on the way back. The hotel stored some of our luggage while we went on our cruise.

We felt very safe walking day and night in OSJ. On Sunday night we walked the length of Paseo La Princessa and there were many people out and good police presence. The people of Puerto Rico are so happy to see the tourists returning. One morning at breakfast we were seated next to another couple and started chatting with them about our vacations. A local woman came over to our table and thanked us for coming to her island. All the taxi drivers were grateful for our business and asked us to spread the word that San Juan is ready for visitors.

Sorry I did not mean to make this so wordy. I will happy to answer any questions.

Have spent the last week In Old San Juan. We started at the San Juan Suites until we lost power. It was miserable. Stuffy, moldy smelling, no lights and since no windows, it was impossible to keep staying there. We moved rooms to one with a window, but some of the glass had been broken out and not replaced. They had put cardboard over it. It was a very loud street below and we got no sleep for pretty much the first 3 days there. We moved a block down the street to Hotel Milano. Much better and much nicer over all. Air, water, WiFi, elevator were all working fine. The hotel is clean and has no musty moldy smell like the previous. They are still painting and touching up.

We stayed at Hotel Miramar pre cruise in February. Clean and great service. Alot of good restaurants in the near area to the hotel. It was a 5 minute bus ride (75 cents each way) to old san juan. Very convenient. Bus dropped off at bus terminal by OSJ cruise dock. Old San Juan was up and running and so were places in Miramar. I did notice some restaurants did not have a full menu available. Not sure if that was coincidental or due to some supplies not available. Some street lights out in OSJ. Also did Bacardi tour. Bacardi has own power with wind mills, so no problems there either. Overall San Juan and OSJ were cleaned up very nicely post storm and we enjoyed walking around OSJ along with many stops for eating/drinking. We were told some of the large hotels on the beach in Condado were closed due to water damage. I dont know which by name, but slightly inland was ok. Overall tourism was down and therefore no crowds at all, which is too bad as this is typically high tourism time. As far as I am concerned, OSJ and SJ were great. Far better than I expected or read. Not sure how beaches are for swimming. Finally no problems at all in airport.

We were on the Jewel February 25 - March 4. We stayed at the Best Western Condado the night before the cruise. We had a huge suite on the 10th floor even though I didn't book a suite, so that was a nice surprise. Everything worked properly in our room and throughout the hotel, no complaints at all. We used the exercise room in the morning. We skipped the continental breakfast and hubby got Starbucks for us while I was getting ready.

We stayed at the San Juan Water Beach Club in Isla Verde 2 nights post cruise. We arrived early right after we left the ship, around 9am. Everyone at the front desk was very accommodating. They stored our luggage until our room was ready at 2pm (2 hours before check in). We walked around the area and sat in the hotel provided chairs on the beach to pass the time. We had an ocean front balcony, the view was amazing and it was great to leave the door open and hear the waves. I requested a mini fridge in our room so we wouldn't be stuck eating all our meals at the 2 restaurants on the property. We got food (and beer and wine of course!) from the nearby Walgreens, CVS, and even walked to Pueblo to get fresh fruit. We took a cab to Old San Juan both evenings, $20 each way. A cab was always waiting right outside the property. This is a boutique hotel with a very popular rooftop bar, so this property would not be for everyone. We usually stay at the Caribe Hilton but they are closed unfortunately. There were huge waves Sunday night and I woke up Monday morning to see that the water had come all the way up to the road in front of the hotel. The EPA was everywhere making sure all was OK. The sand on the street was cleared off quickly.

Thank you for the recent reviews. We need to book something for next January, and I'm seeing a lot of hotels are already fully booked. I thought maybe it was from the hurricane, but my sister said it was the same for her a few years back. Guess I'd better make some decisions asap.

We stayed at the San Juan Airport hotel. If you have a late flight this no frills hotel is fine. they have a bar/restaurant that has nice sandwiches. Their outdoor space was damaged by the Hurricane and isn't open. Breakfast is OK but if you want eggs be prepared to wait. For one night, pre-cruise, the hotel was fine. It is located at the end of an unused wing of the airport (wing closed when American Eagle stopped flying...pre-hurricane) but lights turn on as you walk thru the concourse. You kind of feel like a movie star.

Looking for someone that might have stayed at DA HOUSE. I haven't seen anyone mention actually staying here. We are booked here overnight prior to our cruise.

What concerns me is...we are a family of 3: 2 adults and 1 child that is 9 years old. The room we booked says it accommodates 3 people however, all the pictures I have seen of the rooms here only show 1 bed and not even a couch. :o I'm still trying to figure this out. :confused:

Looking for someone that might have stayed at DA HOUSE. I haven't seen anyone mention actually staying here. We are booked here overnight prior to our cruise.

What concerns me is...we are a family of 3: 2 adults and 1 child that is 9 years old. The room we booked says it accommodates 3 people however, all the pictures I have seen of the rooms here only show 1 bed and not even a couch. :o I'm still trying to figure this out. :confused:

Are they including a cot, perhaps?

Are they including a cot, perhaps?

I'm not sure, that's what I was wondering. I haven't seen one picture that shows the room with anything other than 1 bed in it and the lack of a sofa worries me about where the 3rd person sleeps.

Mitsugirly, the reviews on that place are more than a bit daunting: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g147320-d639686-Reviews-Da_House_Hotel-San_Juan_Puerto_Rico.html

However, TripAdvisor does show the small bed for the family room in its hotel-provided pictures.

Mitsugirly, the reviews on that place are more than a bit daunting: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g147320-d639686-Reviews-Da_House_Hotel-San_Juan_Puerto_Rico.html

However, TripAdvisor does show the small bed for the family room in its hotel-provided pictures.

The reviews are very confusing from people saying it's great with cold a/c and so on to another saying that they do not have electricity yet. Either they have it or not...how can there be so many different views on that issue?

You said the hotel pics showed a small bed for the "family room". I don't see anything marked as a "family room" or maybe I'm missing it. I do see them mention the word "deluxe" but I'm not sure what type of room this is either. My room is called "Queen Room w/Juliet Balcony". I have tried so many ways to look up this particular room and don't see anything that shows more than 1 bed.

Edited by mitsugirly

This is the first time I have jumped on this forum in a few months. We were originally scheduled to be in San Juan in Decembember, and all the hotels cancelled reservations including ours at the Sheraton Old San Juan.

We rescheduled our trip to this coming November, and wanting to fly in a couple days early. The two Hotels I am looking at are El Convento and Sheraton Old San Juan again. While I know El Convento is steps above Sheraton, it is also priced steps above. That said, so,etc,es one truly does get what they pay for in either direction.

I would appreciate any updated information on Sheraton and any feedback/thoughts around these two choices. Sheraton key driver is convenience to the ship.

Thank you

El Convento - we’re here now and it’s perfect. Love the location, service and colonial feel of the hotel. WiFi is excellent at the bar (as is the coffee), and they host a lovely wine and cheese party every night. Would recommend it just for its local ambience and elegant past.