FYI: New Security Meaures for Travelers flying to the U.S.

nelblu

What's the split in the UK which has gun controls.

A lot less gun crimes.

But a lot more knife crimes. In fact, there is a now a campaign in UK that no one needs a pointy knife.

It seems criminals will use whatever tools are available.

Maybe we ought to make crime illegal. :D

Or actually work on the SOURCE of the violence, which is the PEOPLE, not the tools.

I didn't fly international, but TSA Pre-Check doesn't apply to international flights anyway.

This is incorrect.

Pre-Check DOES work for international flights, IF you are flying on a US carrier aircraft.

So fly United ticket, on a United aircraft out of Denver, and you get Pre-Check (if qualified).

If you fly on a United ticket on a Lufthansa aircraft (code share), no Pre-Check.

TSA Pre-check only applies to departing from a US airport, on a US carrier.

And by US carrier, I mean the actual aircraft has to be US carrier, not a US carrier ticket on a non-US carrier (code share).

So if I depart Dulles on a Delta ticketed flight, but it is on an Air France aircraft, I do not get to use Pre-Check.

Coming to the US, even at pre-clearance airports (where you clear customs and immigration before boarding your flight to the US), security is handled by local, not US, so no Pre-Check.

Please clarify your last statement. Do you mean locals at the foreign airport, eg: Barcelona. On my last flight from Barcelona to Philly, all security & custom in Philly were US personnel.

And by US carrier, I mean the actual aircraft has to be US carrier, not a US carrier ticket on a non-US carrier (code share).

So if I depart Dulles on a Delta ticketed flight, but it is on an Air France aircraft, I do not get to use Pre-Check.

Coming to the US, even at pre-clearance airports (where you clear customs and immigration before boarding your flight to the US), security is handled by local, not US, so no Pre-Check.

DD flies out of DCA (to Toronto), on Air Canada all the time, and her boarding passes always say TSA Pre-check... last I checked, Air Canada is not a US carrier?

I've been filling DD in on all of this and her response? "Only book my flights home out of Detroit from now on"... that's one way around this, right? She'll just have to do the border crossing separately. Can't wait to see how her flight home in December goes. She's flying through Toronto (so US customs at Pearson) with only a small layover in Toronto... not a lot of time for questioning if she's selected.

We were surprised by the heavily increased security when we flew back from Prague this summer, compared to the same flight 3 years ago. Each person was interviewed separately while in the check-in line. We were part of a church group, and one of the questions I was asked was how many of our churches there were in the US! (I took a wild guess, found out later I was WAY off!) We each had been given a box of cookies by one of the churches we visited, and security took them all to be x-rayed. The man looked funny, carrying away a huge stack of cookie boxes. But they were deadly serious.

A lot less gun crimes.

But a lot more knife crimes. In fact, there is a now a campaign in UK that no one needs a pointy knife.

Or actually work on the SOURCE of the violence, which is the PEOPLE, not the tools.

Unfortunately that does not seem to be working.

A lot less gun crimes.

How about only plastic knives as allowed on airplanes. ;p

This is incorrect.

Pre-Check DOES work for international flights, IF you are flying on a US carrier aircraft.

So fly United ticket, on a United aircraft out of Denver, and you get Pre-Check (if qualified).

If you fly on a United ticket on a Lufthansa aircraft (code share), no Pre-Check.

Virgin Atlantic participate in Pre-Check, both on their own and as a code share for Delta, they are not a US airline

Please clarify your last statement. Do you mean locals at the foreign airport, eg: Barcelona. On my last flight from Barcelona to Philly, all security & custom in Philly were US personnel.

I believe it's to explain that "security" on foreign soil are not US personnel. However, at certain foreign airports there are US ICE and CBP officers stationed, so they would be US officials, but they don't have anything to do with foreign airport security. Their purpose is to pre-screen for immigration and customs before you hit US soil, supposedly to expedite things.

Not to confuse things more. But, I just got my SENTRI pass so I researched all the Trusted Traveler programs.

TSA Pre-check is just that, only good for TSA security i.e.: airports and you get a KTN number issued by and only recognized by TSA.

CBP has several Trusted Traveler programs (GE, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST) depending on where and how you travel you have to decide what's best for you. When you are approved you get a KTN issued by CBP that is recognized by TSA for pre-check.

We got SENTRI because it allows faster auto lanes coming in from Mexico. However, it also gave us access to all the other TT programs. Once we had our SENTRI number we changed all our airlines profiles to reflect that number instead of the TSA pre-check number.

The CBP Trusted Traveler programs are only a few $$$ more than just the TSA Pre-Check. The only downside is for CBP you have to do a face to face interview at an enrollment station, which could be some distance from where you live.

We just flew back from Europe and got home Tuesday morning. Flew on British Airways out of London Heathrow terminal 3 and were not interviewed or given any additional screening. In fact they didnt make us take our shoes off at security which i found odd. But at the gate they had agents checking everyone’s boarding passes and many were chosen randomly for additional screening at the gate. It looked like they were asking people questions and completely going through their carry on luggage. Our flight left 20 minutes late because of it. Once we arrived back in the US we had a typical quick CBP experience. I guess we lucked out this trip from Europe as we weren’t chosen for the extra screening!

I believe it's to explain that "security" on foreign soil are not US personnel. However, at certain foreign airports there are US ICE and CBP officers stationed, so they would be US officials, but they don't have anything to do with foreign airport security. Their purpose is to pre-screen for immigration and customs before you hit US soil, supposedly to expedite things.

Sorry, misunderstood. Your comments made it sound that locals were manning security at US airports.

The CBP Trusted Traveler programs are only a few $$$ more than just the TSA Pre-Check. The only downside is for CBP you have to do a face to face interview at an enrollment station, which could be some distance from where you live.

So true. We actually applied for Nexus which is/was half the price of Global Entry, and they threw in Global Entry for free. At last when we did this a couple of years ago, if you applied for GE, you had to PAY to add Nexus. Had to drive 7 hours for our Nexus appointment though. With all the US/Canada border crossings we do, SO worth it.

Sorry maybe I should have posted the entire prior post. Yes, mine is a code share with American, but not on an AA plane.

Sorry maybe I should have posted the entire prior post. Yes, mine is a code share with American, but not on an AA plane.

Just got off plane from Belgium to Dulles. Put passport in machine got receipt went to customs. He asked what country I came from. Then I walked out the door. Easier than ever before

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Totally inaccurate information. About 2 dozen foreign airlines participate:

https://www.tsa.gov/precheck/participating-airlines

MYTH 1 BUSTED! I just printed my boarding pass on Cathay Pacific SFO to Hong Kong and it shows TSA Pre-Check. :)

Several foreign carriers participate in TSA PreCheck. Don't believe everything you read on the internet :D

Totally inaccurate information. About 2 dozen foreign airlines participate:

https://www.tsa.gov/precheck/participating-airlines

Several foreign carriers participate in TSA PreCheck. Don't believe everything you read on the internet :D

Thanks for the update.

I have not checked in several years. And I have not flown any of the participating foreign carriers in the past couple of years.

meaning all passengers traveling to the U.S. must check-in with airline personnel for a security interview. "They asked me if I packed my own bag, where I packed it from, where I came from, they looked at my itinerary, verify where I was, who I was," Fran Young, who was traveling from Hong Kong to Los Angeles, told Time.who was traveling

As an American, I have been asked these questions for all domestic flights for as long as I can remember. No change from my perspective.