Taxes, Fees and Port Expenses - Increase

voljeep

Has anyone here ever had to pay more in T F & PE than the stated amount?

Seems like we have never had to pay more, and often get a little back in the form of a shipboard credit

Taxes and port fees are a guessing game for cruise lines. They make a "best guess" as to what the cost will be and use that number for the reservation process. If the taxes/fees wind up being less than they predict, they refund. If the wind up more, they usually just pay it out of the profit they build into the cost of the cruise.

One time we were on a Panama Canal cruise and the canal changed their fees ($100 more per person) about 2 months before the cruise. The cruise line notified all of us that they would be charging us an additional $100 per person. Yeah, that didn't go over well. After MANY dissatisfied customers writing/phoning to complain they rescinded their notice to charge us all extra.

Just experienced credits from cancelled ports. Haven’t noticed any refunds/charges due to actual lower or higher port fees

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on the October 18, sailing of the Star Princess Pacific Coastal. Due to bad weather we missed Astoria. I'm thinking there should have been a refund of port fees, but we didn't see any credit on the account. I was wondering if your refund for a missed port was immediate or came after the cruise?

We were on the October 18, sailing of the Star Princess Pacific Coastal. Due to bad weather we missed Astoria. I'm thinking there should have been a refund of port fees, but we didn't see any credit on the account. I was wondering if your refund for a missed port was immediate or came after the cruise?

Last September, we missed our first port, Guernsey (St. Peter port), due to rough seas. Credit on Port fees were reflected immediately on our folio. Our last port, Le Havre, was also cancelled due to port worker’s strike. We also had credit on the day itself since it was a day before disembarkation. Overall, we had credits in excess of $25. It was refunded by check in the mail and received in 7 or 8 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have never had to pay more however I don't believe the port charges had gone up. We have had on the last several cruises the port fees to go down resulting in a small OBC while on board. Of course the DW made short time of that and more! :rolleyes: Princess charges what they believe will be the port and taxes fees and of course some international country could certainly raise the fees/taxes unexpectedly although that ship with all that tourist money aboard is a definite prohibition to just raising the fee/taxes.