Just a warning about prescription meds

celebrity

The post is titled ‘warning’. If you don’t believe the OP’s account of what happened, then don’t take the warning. I don’t really understand why people feel the need to dispute someone else’s experience simply because it hasn’t happened to them.

We have a winner! Thank you! Some people really do feel it is up to them to try and set the rest of the world straight. ;)

The post is titled ‘warning’. If you don’t believe the OP’s account of what happened, then don’t take the warning. I don’t really understand why people feel the need to dispute someone else’s experience simply because it hasn’t happened to them.

I am the OP and it was indeed my experience flying out of Heathrow.

All I was trying to point out that I wld not recommend throwing meds in the day of the week containers as they were inspecting bottles and labels. I would hate for anyone to miss their flight as the authorities confirmed what you tell them is your RX is what you claim it to be.

Happy travels!

I agree that for some reason certain people feel they must tear apart a CC member's post. Someone always feels they are smarter or know more about the subject than the poster. This person was just being kind and giving a warning to people who are planning to travel through Heathrow, which was very nice of them.

The TSA's website does state that prescription medication must be in the original packages, which I take to mean bottles, boxes, any container that is the original packaging with the information on the package.

Here is what the TSA website said:

• Medications in their original packages. Bring only the amount of medication you will need. Prescription medications have to be under the traveler's name.

I have been stopped once when entering from Canada to the U.S. and had to empty my carry on and they inspected my prescriptions. The TSA agent told me he sure was glad that they were in the correct prescription bottles, because if they weren't I would be stopping at another checkpoint for further inspection.

The TSA has no control in any foreign country, only the U.S. but when you enter into the U.S. the TSA is in control, whether you are coming from London, Vancouver, or Singapore.

Thank you for your warning POSTER about the problems with prescription medication, I for one, really appreciate it.

Candie

I think some are confusing clarification on federal law with disputing the OP. I'm not disputing the OP. What they passed is a great FYI. What I'm disputing is those who continue to claim that here in the US, it is required that meds be in their original bottles. While it might be prudent, it is not the law. Here's a couple links for reference (CBP and TSA). TSA specifically says they do not need to be in original bottles and CBP says they "should" be (not shall).

https://www.tsa.gov/blog/2014/09/05/tsa-travel-tips-traveling-medication

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1160/~/traveling-with-medication

Do you believe everything you read on the WEB?????????

Do you think everything that someone post is in fact true??????

In my case, yes, it is true that airport security in Zurich were very interested in my asthma inhalers and needed my prescriptions for those inhalers. I probably could have gotten through without the Rx, but why take the chance and deal with the delay? There were another 2 levels of passport verification I needed to get through before I could walk onto the airplane.

My actual advice is to have your prescription meds in the original containers, and have a copy of that prescription. You may not be the person they question, but if you are, airport security will not let you through until they are satisfied with your information. They don't care if you miss your flight.

Just back from a Caribbean cruise to Mexico.

Airport Security could not care less about what we had in our pill containers.

More concern was from Spirit Airline, that our luggage bag was one pound overweight, and wanted to charge extra.

Had to transfer two souvenir tee-shirts to carry-on. LOL

Edited by $hip$hape

Just back from a Caribbean cruise to Mexico.

Airport Security could not care less about what we had in our pill containers.

More concern was from Spirit Airline, that our luggage bag was one pound overweight, and wanted to charge extra.

Had to transfer two souvenir tee-shirts to carry-on. LOL

Seriously, the airline was going to charge overweight when all it took was removal of 2 t-shirts to comply with weight restriction?

They should have been embarrrassed. Unless those shirts were both XXXL,, how much could they weight? 1/4 - 1/2 pound? Yes, I cetainly saw it was Spirit Airline :rolleyes:

We put our daily meds in tiny zip bags made for that purpose...you get them at the drugstore. It takes some time to make up the bags before the trip, but it’s very convenient on a daily basis (grab and go) and by the time we’re on the way home, we have none left.

We put our daily meds in tiny zip bags made for that purpose...you get them at the drugstore.

It takes some time to make up the bags before the trip, but it’s very convenient on a daily basis (grab and go)

and by the time we’re on the way home, we have none left.

This sounds real good !

When my DW worked at a skilled nursing facility, and a patient went on leave for a few days,

a nurse would pack their daily meds the same way.

I called Humana RX, where I get my mail-order 90-day pill supplies.

After 15 minutes of waiting for "customer service", Humana seemed to be clueless about zip-bags for trips.:)

Maybe I'll try again later.:cool:

Edited by $hip$hape

This sounds real good !

When my DW worked at a skilled nursing facility, and a patient went on leave for a few days,

a nurse would pack their daily meds the same way.

I called Humana RX, where I get my mail-order 90-day pill supplies.

After 15 minutes of waiting for "customer service", Humana seemed to be clueless about zip-bags for trips.:)

Maybe I'll try again later.:cool:

Most of the national chain craft stores, such as Michael;s sell the small sizze zip bags, in a varfiety of sizes. I have seen them in Rite Aid pharmacies. They are sually displayed right across from the pharmacy window. Ask if you don't see them. People use them to hold small beads for their crafting.

IF I may make a suggestion. Never bring Just Enough Rx when you travel. Y ou can be delayed getting home for so many reasons and if you need your meds daily, you will be happy you have a few exrta days. Think of people who were travveling on 9-11 and so many flights were re-directed to aiprorrts other than their expected destination. Your ship could be delayed getting back to disembark port and you may have to wait a few days to get home especially if you have trouble gettting a new flight booked.. What if you drop a pill or ttwo down th sink or someplace you cannot retrieve it.

Here's my take on the entire thing.

Whomever might look into your bag from Customs or the TSA is going to want things to be made as easy as possible for them. If it were your job you wouldn't want to be responsible for letting any old random person lug a bunch of medications in, either. It may not precisely be law that it needs to be in a pharmacy labeled medicine bottle, but according to my pharmacist technically the pharmacy label is the prescription certified by the pharmacist, and it makes it easy for the TSA types.

Yes, if you carry them in some other packaging and a prescription with it from your doctor then you have fulfilled the letter of the law probably, but you've just made it harder for the examiner. I'd assume TSA then has to somehow make sure the pills are actually fulfillment of that script you're carrying. Even pharmacists don't memorize all possible appearances of every medication out there. They have books and computerized logs to look it up in.

By-the-by if you prefer your medications sorted into one of these medication organizers be aware many pharmacists offer a service for usually a fairly nominal charge doing that. My pharmacist will even set it up so that you have one of these sealed push through the foil set ups. Depending how many and how often you take medication they can do a sheet per day or per week or sometimes even per month. He says they can appropriately label the containers for travel. He says if your regular pharmacy doesn't offer this just call around. Usually compounding pharmacists offer it.

Edit: Just did an online search and there are at least two online pharmacy services that will deliver your medications to your door blister packed with the dates and times they should be taken marked on them. My pharmacy is a smaller local pharmacy but one of the chains locally sent out ads a while back saying they offer the pill sortation service as well and not just for travel. Also great for older folks who need a bit of help making sure they take medications when they should and anyone with a lot of medications to manage. Hope this helps someone.

Edited by TravelinGert

I'd assume TSA then has to somehow make sure the pills are actually fulfillment of that script you're carrying. Even pharmacists don't memorize all possible appearances of every medication out there. They have books and computerized logs to look it up in.

Just FYI, TSA screeners do not have law enforcement authority. The law enforcement arm of TSA is the Air Marshal Service and those are not the folks screening you. It is outside the scope of TSA's authority to question you and demand to see prescriptions for pills.

We fly a couple of times a year, the most recently last month in Europe and the U.S. As he has several to take daily, DH always packages his pills in little zip lock bags marked AM and PM, rather than bringing his meds in their original containers. We always get a list of the medications from the pharmacist and put it in the zipper bag containing the meds, and have never had anyone question what the pills were. The original containers would take up a good deal of space in his carry-on if he was required to bring them, especially when we are away from home for as long as a month at a time.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)