New Year’s Day southern tradition for luck

Losnab

Also have a question for fellow southern folks who have cruised HAL on 1/1. It’s tradition to have black eyed peas, collards and cornbread on New Year’s Day. I do not want to break tradition or luck so I am wondering if anybody has seen this dish served on 1/1 on HAL.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have never seen Black Eyed Peas on HAL, whether New Year's Day or not.

The couple of times I have been on the ship for New Year's Day, I just ate my black-eyed peas when I got home and was able to do so. I figure that the powers that be knew I tried, but a few days late won't matter too much in the overall scheme of things.

That said, New Year's Day Cabbage & Black Eyed Peas is a tradition particular to only certain parts of the Southern US, so I can understand why it's not something that HAL would necessarily cater to.

Also have a question for fellow southern folks who have cruised HAL on 1/1. It’s tradition to have black eyed peas, collards and cornbread on New Year’s Day. I do not want to break tradition or luck so I am wondering if anybody has seen this dish served on 1/1 on HAL.

Aren't you also supposed to have some hog jowl - and then finish with ambrosia for dessert? Just recalling a New Years Day spent with a South Carolina girlfriend's family.

I haven't.

Our tradition is sauerkraut. pork and dumplings and we only saw that once on a Princess ship.

Pork and sauerkraut is my tradition too. I’m planning on going to the Dive In and get a dog with kraut. I’m hoping that’s close enough![emoji3]

Here are some options......

Bushs sells canned blacked eyed peas on Amazon. Eat em cold out of the can.....or you could probably find someone to heat em up, or get some hot water from room service and heat up some that are in a zip lock bag in the hot water.

You can always buy premade corn bread muffins with a long shelf life.

Take a box of black eyed peas/corn bread with you and sweet talk your asst dining room manager. They MAY cook them for your table one night....talk to him in private when things are slow.....you never know....won't hurt to ask....

We sailed HAL ships many times for New Years and while we don't share that tradition, they always seved b lack eyed peas. In advance of New Years, we heard people asking if the black eyed pead would be availaable in MDR and I know they were told yes. HAL Chefs know of that tradtion some people honor.

I agree with the suggestion to bring a package of corn muffins, or c orn bread that is availabble in almost every major grocery s tore around here, in gthie bakery depatment, all the time. I havve no suggesttion as to collard greens.

Edited by sail7seas

On our first cruise during New Years, we asked the Maitre D if we would be able to get black eyed peas and collards, etc. He said "No Madame, no eye black beans on the ship." We laughed but a couple on board had a jar of Texas Caviar and passed it around at dinner!!

Thanks for the recipe and I am going to make that Texas caviar recipe for the football game tomorrow.

Over the summer I made baked chickpea nuts. I decided to do the same with black eyed peas so we can have a handful on 1/1. I know kale chips are delish so I’ll try my hand at collard chips and bring a few. Not the most appetizing but I at least We won’t feel as if we’re jinxing ourselves (lol).