Upgrade Offers

Barefoot Gypsy

We're sailing on the NCL Escape March 3 and just got a "bid" upgrade offer from NCL. Does anyone have any experience with that?

Since they state if your bid is successful, a cabin will not be immediately assigned. This makes me think those people who "win" their bid may be given cabins that are historically difficult to sell (ie: on same deck as bars, deck above bars and restaurants, etc), and then sell off the cabins that they are currently assigned, which may have angled balconies and are on higher decks. Thanks

Welcome to Cruise Critic. If you scroll down the page, there are a few threads that cover all this stuff.

Let me help a bit. You can bid. But, you bid is usually not even reviewed for weeks. They wait until all the other people bid, and then start filling them starting with the HIGHEST bids.

WHOA.... just noticed you said you were sailing on March 3rd. I do not think I have ever seen anyone get a bid notice this far in advance.

Share a little about what cabin type you are in, and the minimum/maximum bid amounts you were offered. Folks here would love to see that.

[quote=garycarla;54754197)

WHOA.... just noticed you said you were sailing on March 3rd. I do not think I have ever seen anyone get a bid notice this far in advance.

We sail March 10th, which is in 87 days....so sounds right that the OP would have just received the “bid” offer as I believe it comes at day 80.

Edited by deefer
typo

Welcome to Cruise Critic. If you scroll down the page, there are a few threads that cover all this stuff.

Let me help a bit. You can bid. But, you bid is usually not even reviewed for weeks. They wait until all the other people bid, and then start filling them starting with the HIGHEST bids.

Share a little about what cabin type you are in, and the minimum/maximum bid amounts you were offered. Folks here would love to see that.

Bids go out 80 days from sailing. March 3 is 80 days from today

Hi...Im currently on Deck 11-angled balcony. Bid offer was mini suite (max bid $400 each person); Haven Spa Suite, Penthouse or Court Yard (max bid $2,000 pp), Haven Penthse master bedroom (max $2,500 per person); Haven 2bdrm(max $2,750 per person) and Haven Owners Suite(Max bid $3,000 per person). Rates are per person 1st and 2nd guest only. Naturally Travel Protection increases since it is based on room rate. I should also mention I am a group leader or TC .

Hi...Im currently on Deck 11-angled balcony. Bid offer was mini suite (max bid $400 each person); Haven Spa Suite, Penthouse or Court Yard (max bid $2,000 pp), Haven Penthse master bedroom (max $2,500 per person); Haven 2bdrm(max $2,750 per person) and Haven Owners Suite(Max bid $3,000 per person). Rates are per person 1st and 2nd guest only. Naturally Travel Protection increases since it is based on room rate. I should also mention I am a group leader or TC .

I would probably not bid on the Mini guessing you really like the location of your angled balcony.

I might bid on a Haven, but maybe not for you. I assume you realize that if you are in the Haven, you can not take or meet non-haven guests in the Haven area which might be an issue as a "group leader".

We're sailing on the NCL Escape March 3 and just got a "bid" upgrade offer from NCL. Does anyone have any experience with that?

Since they state if your bid is successful, a cabin will not be immediately assigned. This makes me think those people who "win" their bid may be given cabins that are historically difficult to sell (ie: on same deck as bars, deck above bars and restaurants, etc), and then sell off the cabins that they are currently assigned, which may have angled balconies and are on higher decks. Thanks

We passed on bidding categories which may have a bad cabin location ie above disco, under pool... We did bid on the Gem from a balcony to a Haven and got it 2 days prior to sailing for a bit over minimum![emoji41][emoji106][emoji6]

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I would probably not bid on the Mini guessing you really like the location of your angled balcony.

I might bid on a Haven, but maybe not for you. I assume you realize that if you are in the Haven, you can not take or meet non-haven guests in the Haven area which might be an issue as a "group leader".

Yes, it would be tough for me to take a Haven suite as a group leader. I havent heard from anyone in our group yet. I have a few who have inside cabins and it may be worth a few hundred extra for them to bid on a balcony but again...they could end up anywhere!! Thanks for your advice!

We passed on bidding categories which may have a bad cabin location ie above disco, under pool... We did bid on the Gem from a balcony to a Haven and got it 2 days prior to sailing for a bit over minimum![emoji41][emoji106][emoji6]

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

That was a great decision to go for the Haven. As a group leader I don't want to be separated that much from the group members. As they say its location, location! Thanks for the reply!

We are sailing on the NCL Star on March 2 - just got the bid offer - we are currently in a Aft-Facing Penthouse Suite - were asked if we wanted to bid on: Owners Suite with 2 balconies ($1,500 max) or the Family Suite ($2,000 max)

We put in a bid for the Owners Suite - will try to remember to post here if we do, in fact, get the upgrade

I noticed a few posts recently that quote the MAX bid amounts given. Just a heads up that you can bid anywhere between the minimum and the max. Sometimes a lower bid might win. Sometimes only a higher bid wins. And of course, sometimes nobody wins.

Bids go out 80 days from sailing. March 3 is 80 days from today

What is the latest that folks have gotten bid offers? We're 66 days out and have not received one. I did a mock booking and there are lots of balconies available. We're inside right now, which is fine, as we don't tend to be in the cabin much anyway.

What is the latest that folks have gotten bid offers? We're 66 days out and have not received one. I did a mock booking and there are lots of balconies available. We're inside right now, which is fine, as we don't tend to be in the cabin much anyway.

They generally only go out on day 80. Log into your MyNCL account and you may see a banner that says “Let’s Get You Uograded”

I received my upgrade email today’s are in Haven Courtyard Penthouse with 3 guests. Breakaway 3/4/18.......... I was soooooo excited! Then I went to bid. Minimum bid for 2 bedroom and owners suite are $500. Deluxe Owners $750 pp for min bid. Based on what I have already paid I was hoping for and would bid lower. But looks like that’s not an option. Would it ever be possible to get another email with lower minimum bid if others don’t bid higher than our current rate? I really want that deluxe owners suite!

Edited by LAXLOVERLIZARDS

I received my upgrade email today’s are in Haven Courtyard Penthouse with 3 guests. Breakaway 3/4/18.......... I was soooooo excited! Then I went to bid. Minimum bid for 2 bedroom and owners suite are $500. Deluxe Owners $750 pp for min bid. Based on what I have already paid I was hoping for and would bid lower. But looks like that’s not an option. Would it ever be possible to get another email with lower minimum bid if others don’t bid higher than our current rate? I really want that deluxe owners suite!

No. $750 per person (for first & second passenger only, the others are “free”) is way cheaper than what it would cost you to upgrade.

They will easily find people in a non haven cabin that will bid more than $500 (x2) to get that 2 BR suite. Having an extra bedroom with a door is worth way more than that. I would put good money that they already have bids higher than the minimum for the 2BR, so there would be no reason to lower it.

It does not matter what you have paid. It is about how much MORE money NCL can get.

I am new to NCL and have no clue what this bidding is all about??? these offers would be above and beyond what you have already paid? Can it be any type cabin? Thanks everyone!

You get an invite to upgrade and the offer is above and beyond what you have already paid - you bid along within others on a Poor to Good range (min to Max) that NCL pre-determines and NCL accepts the highest bidder. The amount is per person, I've only been offered Haven upgrades and you don't pay for 3-4th person for those but I'm not sure whether that's true for lower upgrade bids. . You don't know if you will get the upgrade or the location of the cabin until later. The offer is usually is for 2-3 levels higher depending on availability and you carry forward what perks you have but not any additional ones that may come with the upgrade ( i.e balcony to haven suite).

Hope this answers your questions.

I sail mid February and have also received bid offers. The problem I have is with the minimum bids. For us, we are in a mini suite on deck 11, in most cases the minimum bids were well over $1000 pp.