Viking Sun World Cruise ongoing review/comments

Jim Avery

And not to forget, we are required to attend a “thermal screening “ today. This is Philippine government on board. Not sure what it entails but we can all post later if we pass or not.[emoji33]🤡

What a breeze! You get your pass and walk in front of a thermos camera and that’s it .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What a breeze! You get your pass and walk in front of a thermos camera and that’s it .

Jim, what excursion are you doing In Manila ? We are doing the Corregidor Island Tour -10 hours long .

Not the first time I have been so accused.:eek: But then, I drive both ways....:cool:

Jim,

Not sure if you decided to go to Corregidor or not but I wanted to send along pictures from our time on the island IMG_7577.jpg.dfe705b7b4e4bf560cd62c2ba60474cf.jpg

IMG_7470.jpg.2391f243a83b1e26ff29ea4ba929b47f.jpg

IMG_1520223512.059639.thumb.jpg.2135dc36d5fea7f2d8beefec81fa6333.jpg

IMG_1520223552.608616.thumb.jpg.6f9f89fed0d7b82a44400a9bb1407408.jpg

IMG_7695.jpg.c4949af244ce6d2730ea2e69bb5f9672.jpg

IMG_7710.jpg.d713dcce66fdd2f719f90749690631b3.jpg

IMG_7596.thumb.jpg.462fececb59d3064cc70f69eda73f0e7.jpg

After seeing your great pictures I wish we had. Just didn't have a 10 hour tour in us that day. Went into Manila and ended up at the Mall of Asia. What a monster! Armed guards very visible and patted down and wanded at the entrances. Went to a bank and were amazed at the security to just get in the door. Didn't buy and trinkets but did find nachos and burritos with San Miguel beer. I think Viking does a good job keeping us in food but we really miss Mexican food. Wish they would set up a taco bar at lunch. That would do it for now. Thanks again for posting those great pix. Looks like you had a nice day for it. :cool:

After seeing your great pictures I wish we had. Just didn't have a 10 hour tour in us that day. Went into Manila and ended up at the Mall of Asia. What a monster! Armed guards very visible and patted down and wanded at the entrances. Went to a bank and were amazed at the security to just get in the door. Didn't buy and trinkets but did find nachos and burritos with San Miguel beer. I think Viking does a good job keeping us in food but we really miss Mexican food. Wish they would set up a taco bar at lunch. That would do it for now. Thanks again for posting those great pix. Looks like you had a nice day for it. :cool:

We did have a wonderful day ashore, but nachos and beer sound great right about now. I must say that the food and service on this cruise has been excellent .

Also I want to say that we are starting to lose a number of key service people due to the length of the cruise, to vacations and crew rotations . I think Jim will agree “We THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HARD WORK !We will MISS YOU ALL- Safe travels and We hope to see you AGAIN ! “

Mrs Miggins, I don't know why that is but sometimes I get emails with just what you describe. I have no problem with Eaches pictures (saving many of them to my Photos file) on my MacBook Pro. Maybe someone more savvy will help out with the fix for you. You really want to see all of Eaches pictures.:cool: And yes Eaches. This is probably the best crew we have sailed with. From Captain to deckhands they are all extremely friendly and well trained in their jobs. We miss every one that leaves but the replacements seem just as good. Best wishes for a well earned rest. I thought it was great of Viking to rent out a hotel in Manila for family visits for the Filipino crew. Was told they had childrens activities set up so Mom & Dad could have some alone time. ;p Lots of tired but happy crew seen today. Not many cruise lines do that for their crew.

Mrs Miggins, I don't know why that is but sometimes I get emails with just what you describe. I have no problem with Eaches pictures (saving many of them to my Photos file) on my MacBook Pro. Maybe someone more savvy will help out with the fix for you. You really want to see all of Eaches pictures.:cool: And yes Eaches. This is probably the best crew we have sailed with. From Captain to deckhands they are all extremely friendly and well trained in their jobs. We miss every one that leaves but the replacements seem just as good. Best wishes for a well earned rest. I thought it was great of Viking to rent out a hotel in Manila for family visits for the Filipino crew. Was told they had childrens activities set up so Mom & Dad could have some alone time. ;p Lots of tired but happy crew seen today. Not many cruise lines do that for their crew.

Jim, Well said !

Have loved following this thread. However I cannot see the photos posted on my Mac. All I see are lots of rectangles with a small blue question mark inside. Can anyone help ?

Mrs Miggins

Are you on the Viking Sun now ?

Do you have an Apple phone ?

Is there any particular photo or area you are interested in

Thanks

Eaches

No sadly not on board Viking. Sitting at home in Surrey in the UK. I do have an apple phone, plus i-pad plus desktop Mac.

We will be on our third Viking Ocean at the end of the year but love living vicariously through this great thread.

No sadly not on board Viking. Sitting at home in Surrey in the UK. I do have an apple phone, plus i-pad plus desktop Mac.

We will be on our third Viking Ocean at the end of the year but love living vicariously through this great thread.

To start :

Try going to your local Apple store and their help desk they have done wonders for this computer non player .

I could also send you photos via e mail if needed

Could I ask what excursions were available in the Philippines besides the two mentioned here? I used to live there and would love to know what was on offer.

Not on the Sun, but last year in Manila we arranged for a private tour that took in the American Cemetery, the Rizal Shrine, and more ... a variation of what we did privately was offered by Oceania as well. This link will provide more details about what we did: http://2totravelrtw180.blogspot.com/2017/03/day-80-manila-luzon-philippines.html. The two mentioned here were also on offer by O.

Thanks for sharing about the hotel offering for families of the crew members while in Manila. Viking did GOOD.

Are you getting ready for the christiening of the ship on the upcoming schedule?

It should be a good party.

To start :

Try going to your local Apple store and their help desk they have done wonders for this computer non player .

I could also send you photos via e mail if needed

Hi again, I did a search on google and noted that this was often a problem when using Safari however when I changed the browser to Firefox - I could see the photos. Thanks again for a very enjoyable thread.

Not on the Sun, but last year in Manila we arranged for a private tour that took in the American Cemetery, the Rizal Shrine, and more ... a variation of what we did privately was offered by Oceania as well. This link will provide more details about what we did: http://2totravelrtw180.blogspot.com/2017/03/day-80-manila-luzon-philippines.html. The two mentioned here were also on offer by O.

Well written and interesting! Great photos, too. Thanks for sharing that!

I was wondering what sites one would show tourists in Manila, having spent a good bit of time in that city back in the 80s. I didn’t know about any of the sites you visited. In your photos, the city itself looks much more built up (and prosperous) than I remember.

Sounds like a lot (most?) of Viking’s staff are Filipino?

Hi again, I did a search on google and noted that this was often a problem when using Safari however when I changed the browser to Firefox - I could see the photos. Thanks again for a very enjoyable thread.

Great!

Thanks for sharing about the hotel offering for families of the crew members while in Manila. Viking did GOOD.

Are you getting ready for the christiening of the ship on the upcoming schedule?

It should be a good party.

Here-Here looking forward to it !