Viking Sun World Cruise ongoing review/comments

Jim Avery

I do find this a bit disturbing, especially since next year’s WC has some LONG sea intervals, and some rather short port days. Last year we took a tour of the bridge on Viking Sky and were told the ship could do, oh, I think they said about 15 knots, but we usually cruised at about 8. I wondered about that then. Do you think they have to go a certain speed so they arrive in port at a certain time when there is a berth for them? Jim, you are the maritime expert, so if you think this is weird, then it is. I wonder what the captain would have to say...

Published data on the Sun is that it has a service speed of 20knots and a top speed of 24 knots. As mentioned, some of it is built in "padding" to cover any unforeseen delays but 8-10 knots is just wasting time. I have to say there have been much more sea days than anticipated. Reading the brochure and watching us plod along while spending little time in interesting ports is quite different. When reading about it in the polished Viking info it all sounds great. Darwin disappointed many with such a short visit after "wasting' a day at 10 knots. I hope they up their game soon.

I do find this a bit disturbing, especially since next year’s WC has some LONG sea intervals, and some rather short port days. Last year we took a tour of the bridge on Viking Sky and were told the ship could do, oh, I think they said about 15 knots, but we usually cruised at about 8. I wondered about that then. Do you think they have to go a certain speed so they arrive in port at a certain time when there is a berth for them? Jim, you are the maritime expert, so if you think this is weird, then it is. I wonder what the captain would have to say...

Speed equals higher fuel costs !

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Shortly after departing the dock in Darwin, the Captain announced we would be stopping for a medical emergency and that two passengers would be leaving us. The Pilot boat came back alongside and all I could see was what appeared to be a woman's feet sticking out from a white sheet looking cover on a litter on the aft deck of the Pilot boat. Also aboard was a male passenger, I would assume Husband or travel partner. Any one else with more info is encouraged to chip in. Always sad to witness such events. Best wishes for a good outcome for them.

May we all pray that she recovers and they return to the cruise.

On one of our previous cruises, we asked that question and the officer. He said that they start out after leaving the port at a higher speed and then cut back once they know the seas and weather conditions are known .

Speed equals higher fuel costs !

Hi Eaches. In simple terms yes higher speed requires higher fuel burn rate. As with most things there is more to it. I do not have access to Viking Sun’s fuel flow charts so will use generic numbers for examples. Viking Sun has the most efficient engines presently available. Let’s look at a trip between port “A” and port “B”. A given distance. Then assume fuel burn. At 20 knots is double that of 10 knots. At 10 knots it takes 24 hours to transit from A to B. At 20 knots it takes 12 hours to cover the same distance. A wash as far as total gallons burned but 12 extra hours port time. There are other factors as well and I hope Chengkp75 will weigh in as he is a currently operating ships Chief Engineer and can provide accurate present day fuel burn info. Cruise lines as well as airlines use the fuel cost boogeyman to justify all sorts of actions, justified or not.

Yes, it goes to so many p,aces we have always wanted to go and didn't think we would get to. But going away for four months, being at sea for a week at a time, these things give me pause. But I am going to call Viking tomorrow. I must have a hundred questions!

We made our deposit for the January 2019 WC and are looking forward to exploring the Southern Hemisphere. Hopefully we will find some bridge players for those days at sea.

Drag (thus fuel consumption) generally goes up as the square of speed. So 20 knots would use about 4x the fuel per hour as 10 knots. And double the fuel for a given distance traveled.

I know Jim, darn engineers...

Hi Raggy. Drag has many variables concerning a ship hull. Even using the stabilizers significantly increases fuel burn. Hull shape, bottom coating, and salinity can all play a part. My point though is that, in the big picture of fuel burned on a World Cruise, speeding up to make Darwin a meaningful port call would have been a drop in the ocean.

Someone asked about fresh food. Last night in Manfrdi’s we had a reportedly locally sourced Barramundi fish. Best fish we had since boarding! Before going to Manfedi we stopped in the World Cafe to “taste” crocodile on the barbie .....not terrible but very chewy. I don’t need to eat it again. The kangaroo a few days ago was much better. The aquavit terrace has a grilled dinner most evenings. The grill is a large skillet thing since no open flames on the ship. It is usually quite good.

Someone asked about fresh food. Last night in Manfrdi’s we had a reportedly locally sourced Barramundi fish. Best fish we had since boarding! Before going to Manfedi we stopped in the World Cafe to “taste” crocodile on the barbie .....not terrible but very chewy. I don’t need to eat it again. The kangaroo a few days ago was much better. The aquavit terrace has a grilled dinner most evenings. The grill is a large skillet thing since no open flames on the ship. It is usually quite good.

I tried tried the Kangaroo and it was quite good due to Chef Clinton’s touch and a little BBQ sauce . My wife said that it tasted like venison.

... The grill is a large skillet thing since no open flames on the ship. It is usually quite good.

I have heard this on other lines [e.g. Celebrity had to get special electric furnaces for the now-lamented Corning Hot Glass Show]. But Azamara manages to fire up real barbecue grilles on deck for the White Night Party on every cruise.

Have to agree with your take on the croc. The chef was trying very hard to cook it but it needed some "tenderizing" before. Not sure how to cook it but we had a taste in a pub in Darwin, small pieces breaded and fried. Quite tasty and tender. Seems like maybe a citrus or vinegar based marinade might help??

We made our deposit for the January 2019 WC and are looking forward to exploring the Southern Hemisphere. Hopefully we will find some bridge players for those days at sea.

Wish I could say I played bridge. Actually was hoping to learn on this long cruise. To me, all those sea days were worth it to get to see so many bucket list places in one voyage. And the folks on the 2017-18 WC have been so helpful and kind in sharing their comments and pictures. My ever growing list for next year keeps getting longer. Down to interesting restaurants and bars!

As you prepare for the trip ....my experience has been the very SLOW internet makes it very important to set up auto pay or have someone paying your bills. It is often very difficult to get on credit cards sights to manage accounts. Thankfully internet is free. Wi-Fi has allowed face time or voice over Internet most of the time.

As you prepare for the trip ....my experience has been the very SLOW internet makes it very important to set up auto pay or have someone paying your bills. It is often very difficult to get on credit cards sights to manage accounts. Thankfully internet is free. Wi-Fi has allowed face time or voice over Internet most of the time.

This is very good advice from Deec. We set up recurring bills to auto pay to one credit card and set up and funded a separate "trip account" at our bank with separate debit card. While we would not enjoy losing any of this account, it keeps our main accounts totally separate. Wifi can get you in to check balances, etc. but works best early in the morning or late at night when more of the limited bandwidth is available. Remembering all the pre pay bills and how to handle all the recurring bills and taxes was probably the biggest worry in booking such a trip. Viking made it real easy to transfer funds to them but car tag renewals, property taxes, etc etc took a bit more effort. ;p

For bills that change in amount each month, a good online bill pay bank website should work well -- for example Schwab notifies me as soon as a new statement comes in, and I have several weeks before the payment is due. Surely somewhere in that timeframe the internet will be fast enough to tell Schwab to pay it.

For bills that change in amount each month, a good online bill pay bank website should work well -- for example Schwab notifies me as soon as a new statement comes in, and I have several weeks before the payment is due. Surely somewhere in that timeframe the internet will be fast enough to tell Schwab to pay it.

Not sure I would bet the farm on the wifi we have on the Sun. Auto pay to a credit card has little risk as, if improperly charged, you can have recourse through the card company. Makes us feel a bit safer but just our opinion. Wish we had trusted family to write checks but we don't. Stories to tell about the Dragons but later. Must shower....:eek::cool:

Not sure I would bet the farm on the wifi we have on the Sun. Auto pay to a credit card has little risk as, if improperly charged, you can have recourse through the card company. Makes us feel a bit safer but just our opinion. Wish we had trusted family to write checks but we don't. Stories to tell about the Dragons but later. Must shower....:eek::cool:

Jim will tell you about the Komodo dragons but I just wanted to say that Viking did rebound to today after the fowl up at Darwin. This morning did start out a weak, Something about the visitors not wearing clothing with red in them. I guess the red color sets the dragons off and you definitely don’t want that to happen .

It was very warm and Viking had done everything right and had cold water ashore for us . The tour was great and everyone in the early tours saw the dragons and the countryside!

All in all, the ship’s management rose to the challenge and showed us what we knew - Viking is a Wonderful Adventure! IMG_6533.thumb.jpg.0ed7a4341bf0c3de4209ca2caad50e11.jpg

IMG_6503.thumb.jpg.a6eaaa6ec1ed79889a9b867bdd5154a8.jpg

IMG_6549.thumb.jpg.fd81c91c872a44f57d47cb1625524ab0.jpg

Hi Eaches. Gosh no! Your pictures are great some amazing Dragon shots. I can ramble on but I can only seem to upload thumbnail pix. Please, weigh in any time you please. Like I said in post #1 this is for all thoughts and opinions. Keep those great pix coming.:cool:

This is very good advice from Deec. We set up recurring bills to auto pay to one credit card and set up and funded a separate "trip account" at our bank with separate debit card. While we would not enjoy losing any of this account, it keeps our main accounts totally separate. Wifi can get you in to check balances, etc. but works best early in the morning or late at night when more of the limited bandwidth is available. Remembering all the pre pay bills and how to handle all the recurring bills and taxes was probably the biggest worry in booking such a trip. Viking made it real easy to transfer funds to them but car tag renewals, property taxes, etc etc took a bit more effort. ;p

Thank you both. Deec gave me my first piece of good advice way back I early January. I keep a hard calendar on my desk and record everything that comes up. I now have dentist appointments scheduled so I can be away those five months, I know how long a tube of toothpaste lasts us, I will put us on auto pay for everything that is not already on it.

And thanks to Eaches for the dragon pictures. We won’t be going that route, so great to see them here!