Viking Sun World Cruise ongoing review/comments

Jim Avery

We are so fortunate that we don't get sick. My husband did get ginger ale...all he had to do was ask at the World Cafe and they brought out several bottles to bring to the cabin. One of our room stewards got sick, he told us...he was stuck in his cabin for a while. .a day I think. The pools were emptied for several days...I remember going down to the spa when I thought the seas were calm and it still was emptied. The biggest thing was the Ker PLUNK as the ship went up and down. I went up to the Explorers Lounge during the day and I was reading by the fireplace. Looking forward I just saw sky...then....just sea!! The captain at the Farewell get together said that we could all consider ourselves sailors now. I remember one poor server in the World Cafe trying to pour wine for me. She kept leaning backwards, then forwards, the wine bottle was shaking, and she kept repeating....it's OK, there's nothing to worry about, this is normal sometimes. I poured the wine myself and we ended up reassuring her....I felt so bad for her. She was so scared!

And we have the Bay of Biscay to look forward to in early May. :eek:

Yes, I see that you will be there. And yikes! So will we again in May on the 2019WC. Now, I wouldn’t know the Bay of Biscay from Golden pond (and we had a very smooth crossing, and no the B of B is not between Lisbon and Porto, but starts up at the top of Spain) but my husbsnd started sailing at about 5 in New England ( go Pats!) and loves all things Maritime. And so, Jim, that Mexican restaurant you mentioned next to the maritime museum in Auckland, I wrote down and saved. It’s a sure bet we will go there. I have been to more maritime museums in the course of my marriage than I can count!!!

Yes, I see that you will be there. And yikes! So will we again in May on the 2019WC. Now, I wouldn’t know the Bay of Biscay from Golden pond (and we had a very smooth crossing, and no the B of B is not between Lisbon and Porto, but starts up at the top of Spain) but my husbsnd started sailing at about 5 in New England ( go Pats!) and loves all things Maritime. And so, Jim, that Mexican restaurant you mentioned next to the maritime museum in Auckland, I wrote down and saved. It’s a sure bet we will go there. I have been to more maritime museums in the course of my marriage than I can count!!!

I am sure my DW would agree with you. Every tv show about ships, every maritime museum, heck, re runs of Moby Dick and she (mostly) goes along. Every now and then she has her limit. Similar to the time we did a month driving all over Britain with lunches in Pubs and dinners many times in Pubs. One fine day DW says "no more d#mn mushy peas!";p

It is when a ship hits a larger wave with a noticeable "boom" followed by a shake, shake, shake, vibration.

Jim - thanks for the great information. I really loved reading this post of yours, not a ramble at all! After many years as an airline passenger I know my way around planes but ships are a completely different kettle of fish ;p

I look forward to learning more about the "heavy metal" of the cruise industry over coming years.

Have a great trip and thanks for letting us follow along.

Our balcony glass under the railing ....shattered like safety glass should....no glass falling until the repair. Many of the dividers between balconies broke the locks and were flapping freely...All was fixed quite quickly once the seas calmed. We were in 3003.

I think yesterday was rougher for a longer time than the Bay of Siscay was last Spring.

Just gentle rocking this late afternoon but last I checked spa pool was still empty.

Our balcony glass under the railing ....shattered like safety glass should....no glass falling until the repair. Many of the dividers between balconies broke the locks and were flapping freely...All was fixed quite quickly once the seas calmed. We were in 3003.

I think yesterday was rougher for a longer time than the Bay of Siscay was last Spring.

Just gentle rocking this late afternoon but last I checked spa pool was still empty.

Hope the sea calm down for all of you now as you approach Australia .

I hope no one was hurt during the rough seas adventure yesterday.

Good to know the repairs were made quickly to the balcony glass.

I don’t know who is spreading the FAKE NEWS . The weather was bad but here are the owners of 3003 (Roger and David) .Bothb2bc71bdd055e99ae07a65e4a6008e0a.jpgb2bc71bdd055e99ae07a65e4a6008e0a.jpg said that nothing is broken in their cabin.! Check your facts and give us the right cabin if in fact it happened!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi all: We are on current WC and echo all of the positive comments posted about the ship and journey so far. More activities than we can fit in a normal day and challenged to balance eating with time in the gym. Wife doing a "world quilt" with about 10 other folks. Individual quilts but pooling material from each port. I'm doing Team Trivia, running 2 miles per sea day, reading, and going to lectures. Except as already noted, fellow passengers are wonderful. Question for those on the current WC. Anyone interested in scuba diving on the Great Barrier Reef? You would need your certification card. Overall, trip is fabulous.

From 'Viking Cruises' Australian Facebook page ...

With Tasmania to the port side, and Melbourne the next stop, Viking Sun has officially passed into Australian waters for the first ever time. 1f1e6_1f1fa.png

27544580_1625942044155610_2422216950967342457_n.jpg?oh=2b60f72ba4be42942a2574de83035d76&oe=5AE55657

Quite right. Tasmania was visible off the port side around lunch time. Captain reports we are due to pick up the Melbourne Pilot at 2am ship's and Melbourne time. (UTC +11):cool: BTW, a much calmer sea day, warmer and mostly sunny!

Hopefully an uneventful night on board and the Sun is safely in Melbourne now. Welcome to Australia. I know some information was posted last week about berthing arrangements in Sydney. I have just noticed information in Port of Brisbane website (below).

If this is correct, sadly the Pacific Dawn will be at Portside Wharf - close to the action with city views, berthed close to restaurants, bars etc (a very pleasant outlook) but Viking Sun will be at the main port much further from city centre amongst a bunch of container ships. Disappointing, as it is difficult to provide a good first impression way out yonder.

Pacific Dawn13 February 2018 06:00hrs13 February 2018 16:00hrs245.1ISSPortsideViking Sun13 February 2018 08:00hrs13 February 2018 17:00hrs228.2WSSF I Grain