Viking Sun World Cruise ongoing review/comments

Jim Avery

I saw your beautiful ship on a live stream today via F/book. Looks a bit cloudy and grey where you are but the ship looks great. Won't be long and you will be in the heat of the Australian summer!

And I hear it's a HOT one. We are from Arizona so might feel right at home...:cool:

Jim, Thanks for the explanation. It sounds from your description that the stern of a ship like Viking Sun would have more stability than the bow simply by how it rides waves. Am I guessing correctly?

And thank you for your fabulous on-going reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Jim, Thanks for the explanation. It sounds from your description that the stern of a ship like Viking Sun would have more stability than the bow simply by how it rides waves. Am I guessing correctly?

And thank you for your fabulous on-going reviews.

Hi again. Not necessarily a function of bow or stern, rather a maximization of revenue space. In practical use, North Atlantic liner design and build strength is not required for Viking's intended use. But still, when head seas are a problem, the seas will be noticeably felt. It is unsettling to some but I feel confident in the stability of this ship or we would still be back in the middle of the desert.:D But if you are asking if it were more comfortable to have an aft cabin then yes.... Except for occasional propeller vibration..... But that is an entirely new story. This is why they charge the most, in any given category, for midships cabins. There the motion and noise is considered better. The exception is the large, expensive suites forward and aft. We are midships but could I afford it I would have one of the aft Explorer Suites!:cool:

But if you were in the aft Explorer Suite you'd be a neighbor of the curmudgeon who has been so critical of the world cruise on Twitter and on his blog (the one who left your roll call). He wants to be left alone in his suite with his wife and have no one approach them for socialization. Somehow I don't think anyone will. He complained on Twitter about the cruise and then complained that customer relations kept calling him and wouldn't leave him alone. At one point he said ...only 96 days left...after complaining. Then he said that he went from the most popular passenger on the ship to an outcast. He was complaining that the people who monitor the Viking Twitter were telling the ship about his complaints.Once he said that when they went into a lounge half the people acknowledged them the other half moved. So I think you are better where you are!!

Great! Looks like our decision for 6096 on the Sky will be just fine. However, I am sure they all are great. Maybe some day we will do a WC.

You will make it. We first said "some day" in 1995 and here we are.....Finally. :cool:

But if you were in the aft Explorer Suite you'd be a neighbor of the curmudgeon who has been so critical of the world cruise on Twitter and on his blog (the one who left your roll call). He wants to be left alone in his suite with his wife and have no one approach them for socialization. Somehow I don't think anyone will. He complained on Twitter about the cruise and then complained that customer relations kept calling him and wouldn't leave him alone. At one point he said ...only 96 days left...after complaining. Then he said that he went from the most popular passenger on the ship to an outcast. He was complaining that the people who monitor the Viking Twitter were telling the ship about his complaints.Once he said that when they went into a lounge half the people acknowledged them the other half moved. So I think you are better where you are!!

I think you are right. What's that old line about Legend in your own mind??? ;p

Exactly!! I keep following him because it is just so entertaining. Today he talked about a wine tasting tour (independent because many people can't do that) where he was the only one who knew the answers....and he was the most educated and informed.

I could use some entertainment ... no travel plans until June. Could you perhaps share the blog link.

As for those who are sharing impressions/experiences from this voyage ... thank you. We did a world cruise on Oceania last year and the Viking itinerary looks like a good complement to what we did then, so I am following along on CC this year to gain some insight.

If you are on Twitter his name is Hanoilg

The link to his blog is on his links on Twitter. Not sure if there is another way.

He said at one point on his Twitter that he was sick and had a cough and he went to the Dr and they were out of cough medicine. He said that if he died they would pay!!! I don't know this guy I assume he was kidding.

Good Morning Jim,

Enjoying your updates. We really enjoyed NZ, as well. A truly beautiful country. FYI: We booked the British Isles Aug. 25 from Greenwich to Bergen. Remodeling our new home, so the May timing did not work out, but this is a great itinerary because we have not been to Scotland or Wales. Airline tickets and hotels are booked, so it's definitely a go. It will be interesting to see how you fare being on for 4 months. One month is about my max. Give Hum a hug and I truly miss waking up to his daily endeavors. BTW..did you get the "Memo"? ;-)

Doesn’t anyone miss poor ol’ Ragnar???

Porto, I feel your pain, we have ripped off the back of our house to lengthen it to accomodate a wine cellar large enough to hold stock for a visit from ho-hum...

Of course, I miss all of you xx and you know my dearest chums are allowed to call me Contessa ;-)

Now if only Ho-Hum could chime in. Looks to be a beautiful day in Dunedin. Docking right next to the Radiance of the Seas. Darn, I wish we had that water park and rock climbing wall! But wait, that would mean rug rats....... I believe you will really enjoy this beautiful ship Contessa.:cool:

I am enjoying following the world cruise posts, especially this portion that covers our upcoming Aus/NZ itinerary.

A couple of questions:

I expect we will have some/similar optional tours as the ones the WC is offering. Looking for advice on ones to consider or skip.

We've taken a Viking river cruise but that was for the Christmas markets and I know it is much more casual than their normal offerings. Can anyone recommend must haves for clothing for that part of the world at this time of year? I'm an extremely light packer, so. I need to choose wisely!

L

We are leaving NZ now, crossing the Tasman Sea for for 3 days before 7 port stops in Australia. My only disappointment for my fellow travelers is that they didn’t get to experience the beautiful sounds, snow-capped mountains, glaciers and multi-colored lakes we saw when we did a Tauck tour of both the North and South Islands. It truly is a spectacular country.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wish we could have cruise Milford Sound but I loved New Zealand. Culture and people were wonderful!

A little rolly tonight but should rock me to sleep. Will enjoy sea days ahead.

I second Deec's words, the NZ people we met were wonderful. Seems a great country. We enjoyed the little port town of Port Chalmers actually more than Dunedin. Dunedin has some great sights and the train station is a wonder of tiles and terrazzo but we found the Portsider Pub in Port Chalmers. Local brew much like English bitter with great fish & chips. Met a lovely English ex pat couple that came to NZ for holiday 30 years ago and are still here. Now that's a holiday! As Deec said, it is, as a Cunard Captain once said in the North Atlantic, a bit "boisterous" out on the Tasman Sea today. So far the Gym facility is closed and the monthly emergency drill has been postponed. A bit ago we hit what was called a "special" wave which shook things pretty well. In all, this is the only bad seas we have had so far. Lets you know you are not at the Hilton anymore........:cool: Super Bowl Sunday....On Monday. go figure. We are In The Future don't you know? Right now is 9:15am Monday. The Super Bowl starts around 12:30 pm ship's time today (Monday).

We are still in yesterday for you. I am at ground zero for Super Bowl . It is current sunny and -4 F. Our new stadium ,that looks like a Viking ship from some angles, is 70 F inside for all the visitors and team.

I second Deec's words, the NZ people we met were wonderful. Seems a great country. We enjoyed the little port town of Port Chalmers actually more than Dunedin. Dunedin has some great sights and the train station is a wonder of tiles and terrazzo but we found the Portsider Pub in Port Chalmers. Local brew much like English bitter with great fish & chips. Met a lovely English ex pat couple that came to NZ for holiday 30 years ago and are still here. Now that's a holiday! As Deec said, it is, as a Cunard Captain once said in the North Atlantic, a bit "boisterous" out on the Tasman Sea today. So far the Gym facility is closed and the monthly emergency drill has been postponed. A bit ago we hit what was called a "special" wave which shook things pretty well. In all, this is the only bad seas we have had so far. Lets you know you are not at the Hilton anymore........:cool: Super Bowl Sunday....On Monday. go figure. We are In The Future don't you know? Right now is 9:15am Monday. The Super Bowl starts around 12:30 pm ship's time today (Monday).

Gracious, and I worried about traversing the Bay of Biscay two years ago. I guess no one is out walking the deck. Enjoy the game, even if it is almost a day later, it is still live, right?

Gracious, and I worried about traversing the Bay of Biscay two years ago. I guess no one is out walking the deck. Enjoy the game, even if it is almost a day later, it is still live, right?

Yes, live. We are 18 hours or so ahead of you so it is Monday here. And yes, a few hardy souls enjoying the decks. Lots fewer passengers visible today though.🤮👀😎

And we have the Bay of Biscay to look forward to in early May. :eek:

On our Barcelona the Baltics and Beyond cruise our roughest seas were between Lisbon and Porto (we missed Porto) and for a day after that. I guess that was the Bay of Biscay? The pools were emptied, shows were cancelled, they put away all of the glass that was in the cabin. Luckily my husband and I don't get seasick, the scariest part was trying to make sure we didn't fall when walking the corridors and I worried about falling out of bed. The lady at dinner next to us at the World Cafe threw up in the aisle, poor thing. Her husband and we just kept eating and the hazmat team came to clean it up. She came back and felt better. You'll have to ask deec if your seas are worse than that now...she was on the cruise with us. Stay safe....really enjoying all of your updates!!

On our Barcelona the Baltics and Beyond cruise our roughest seas were between Lisbon and Porto (we missed Porto) and for a day after that. I guess that was the Bay of Biscay? The pools were emptied, shows were cancelled, they put away all of the glass that was in the cabin. Luckily my husband and I don't get seasick, the scariest part was trying to make sure we didn't fall when walking the corridors and I worried about falling out of bed. The lady at dinner next to us at the World Cafe threw up in the aisle, poor thing. Her husband and we just kept eating and the hazmat team came to clean it up. She came back and felt better. You'll have to ask deec if your seas are worse than that now...she was on the cruise with us. Stay safe....really enjoying all of your updates!!

Wow - the "rough seas" we had traveling from Cartagena to Jamaica and onward towards the passage between Haiti and Cuba (we skipped Montego Bay and Grand Caymans) don't hold a candle to what you're describing here. Ewwwwww