Two in a Quad: can Princess move you involuntarily?

rocklinmom

I am looking at putting the five of us into the only aft interiors left on our cruise, and both are quad's. That would put three of us in one and two in the other. I would prefer the two of us in a double cabin (without the bunks on the wall) but there are none left that are next door to a quad. The Princess rep warned me that even with the cabins marked no upgrade they could end up moving the two of us involuntarily to a double cabin somewhere else on the ship. Obviously I wouldn't want our family split up. Has anyone ever had this happen to them before? I told her to forget it but would still like to move us there, but the idea of us being split up (she said even on different decks was possible) is scary.

I think that there would need to be extraordinary circumstances that would necessitate that kind of a move if you have the bookings marked "Do not upgrade".

You can also have the rep check to see if the bunks are on the wall or in the ceiling. They have that information available.

I am sorry that the rep's somewhat overly ominous warnings deterred the OP from making the booking. If the bookings are properly linked, and noted that (I assume) minor kids are among the group of five, then Princess has to act accordingly and keep the group in adjacent cabins.

That said there certainly have been reports of people booking two or even three adjacent cabins where not just one but two or all three were "upgraded" to different decks. Whether the bookings were linked or not is part of the issue.

And the only ships with upper berths recessed in the ceiling in interior cabins are Coral and Island Princess. All other ships in all interior (and oceanview) cabins the uppers fold against, and protrude from, the side walls.

Yes our bookings are always linked. I think the issue was that if a family of three or four needs that quad cabin they could move the two of us to a double and it could be anywhere on the ship. I wouldn't mind of course if they moved us to the double balcony cabin across the hall from our other quad interior (for free) but she said they wouldn't do that.

Yes our bookings are always linked. I think the issue was that if a family of three or four needs that quad cabin they could move the two of us to a double and it could be anywhere on the ship. I wouldn't mind of course if they moved us to the double balcony cabin across the hall from our other quad interior (for free) but she said they wouldn't do that.

Since your bookings are linked and some of your party are children (any minors?)...the chances of being moved to one of the forward "family suites" would be more like what they might move you to, if they need your cabin.

I can’t see how they could move you when you specifically mark it “Do Not Upgrade” and you’ve booked those specific two cabins.

I know it’s not quite the same, but I’ve read before where someone had been allocated a disabled cabin and offered it back for someone who wanted to book and specifically needed the cabin, but was told they couldn’t do that as that was now their cabin.

I hope it works out for you. Be awful to miss out on the cruise just because they won’t tell you that you can keep both cabins and not be moved. Any chance of speaking to a supervisor or ask your TA to do it?

I can’t see how they could move you when you specifically mark it “Do Not Upgrade” and you’ve booked those specific two cabins.

It certainly does happen. Not often enough that the OP should be in fear of the possibility--but often enough to be a recurring topic on this board that does stay in the back of one's mind.

The worst example I have ever heard of (not on Princess) was a solo passenger who booked a "deluxe large inside" cabin paying the full single supplement. Shortly after boarding they were notified they would have to change cabins to a standard oceanview in a far less convenient location because a larger party needed the cabin. When refused in their attempt to decline the upgrade they went up the chain of command until the Captain himself threatened to have them forcibly removed from the ship if they did not comply.

Wow Fishywood! I’m gobsmacked that can happen. So so unfair and not treating their passengers very well. Not a good way of gaining and keeping customers is it?

I’ll bear it in mind in the future and just hope it never happens to us. Thank you.

I have had them move me when I told them to mark no upgrades. I called them right away and got my cabin back. This has happened a couple of times, including while I was on my way to the cruise. Its frustrating, but I have always been able to get my cabin back.

It certainly does happen.

Yes -- It does happen; on Princess.

Along with another couple, we had a Cruise booked for April.

Cabins were side by side, Bookings linked and marked "Do not upgrade".

Checked our Bookings on Wednesday --

We were moved to one part of the Ship;

the other couple were moved to another

part of the Ship. Different Deck.

Neither our TA nor us were notified.

Our original Cabins are gone.

We all decided to cancel the Cruise before

Final Payment.

[quote name='fishywood;54926691

And the only ships with upper berths recessed in the ceiling in interior cabins are Coral and Island Princess. All other ships in all interior (and oceanview) cabins the uppers fold against' date=' and protrude from, the side walls.[/quote']

FYI... this is wrong.

All Princess ships have some interiors with the bunks in the ceiling and some on the wall (Coral, Island, Sapphire, Diamond are the exceptions... all in the ceiling). I am sailing on Ruby Princess next month and have an interior quad. The bunks are in the ceiling. Any travel agent with access to OneSource (or a Princess call center rep) can find a document for each ship that details which cabins have the bunks in the ceiling or bolted to the wall.

FYI... this is wrong.

All Princess ships have some interiors with the bunks in the ceiling and some on the wall (Coral, Island, Sapphire, Diamond are the exceptions... all in the ceiling). I am sailing on Ruby Princess next month and have an interior quad. The bunks are in the ceiling. Any travel agent with access to OneSource (or a Princess call center rep) can find a document for each ship that details which cabins have the bunks in the ceiling or bolted to the wall.

I agree with your comment. We have not sailed on the Coral or the Island, but have had interior cabins with the two extra beds recessed into the ceiling.

FYI... this is wrong.

Excellent info.

Absolutely they can move you! We booked our family of 8 people for 4 OZ lowest obstructed view cabin guarantee. 1 day after final payment, we were given our cabins all over the ship. My son was given a 4 person "6 category upgrade" cabin and we called to get him a 2 person. They would only give us a cabin that was in OZ so we took it as he did not want a 4 person with bunks in the way. We have 1 OV room deck 8 mid, 1 OZ room deck 8 forward, one OC room deck 5 mid-forward, and one OF room deck 5 forward. All are different categories. Cannot get our rooms together. You are lucky they gave you rooms together in the first place.

Absolutely they can move you! We booked our family of 8 people for 4 OZ lowest obstructed view cabin guarantee. 1 day after final payment, we were given our cabins all over the ship. My son was given a 4 person "6 category upgrade" cabin and we called to get him a 2 person. They would only give us a cabin that was in OZ so we took it as he did not want a 4 person with bunks in the way. We have 1 OV room deck 8 mid, 1 OZ room deck 8 forward, one OC room deck 5 mid-forward, and one OF room deck 5 forward. All are different categories. Cannot get our rooms together. You are lucky they gave you rooms together in the first place.

When you book a guarantee, the cabins can be anywhere, regardless of how many cabins you have booked. I've learned that if you want cabins together, don't book a guarantee. Also, most of the time when we have booked guarantee cabins in the past, we have been given a quad cabin.

I am sorry that the rep's somewhat overly ominous warnings deterred the OP from making the booking. If the bookings are properly linked, and noted that (I assume) minor kids are among the group of five, then Princess has to act accordingly and keep the group in adjacent cabins.

That said there certainly have been reports of people booking two or even three adjacent cabins where not just one but two or all three were "upgraded" to different decks. Whether the bookings were linked or not is part of the issue.

And the only ships with upper berths recessed in the ceiling in interior cabins are Coral and Island Princess. All other ships in all interior (and oceanview) cabins the uppers fold against, and protrude from, the side walls.

FYI... this is wrong.

Thanks for addressing this. I had asked about this and was told the Star had the recessed bunks. From the comments here, it sounds like some do, some don't. I will have to contact my TA to ask about the specific cabins we have booked on the Star.

Not true - Royal and Regal too have recessed bunks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums