Capt. Marvin Looses Snorkler

barefootguy

We were in Grand Cayman last week & went out to the Coral Gardens & Stingray City with Soto's. Capt. Marvin was at the site during the same time, then left for Stingray City. After completing our time at Coral Gardens, it seems that all were on board by count, yet there was still a person in the water...

We boarded her & found she was with Capt. Marvin's boat. She was then delivered to their boat & we went on our way.

As a PADI Master Diver, my wife & I find this VERY disturbing! Capt. Marvin obviously never took a count of divers out & divers back on board....

If you are scheduled with Capt. Marvin, be sure you're not the last aboard!! Or last out of the water.... You may be all alone!

I guess it can happen to any excursion operator.

Was this woman alone on the excursion? If not why didn't her partner inform the captain?

Something doesn't add up.

I have been on Capt. Marvin's excursion and remember one of the crew keeping count as people got back on board and again once all were on.

Jay

After watching the AWFUL movie Open Water:eek: I did some reserach online and discovered that divers (and I assume snorkelers) are left behind quite often! Pretty scary thought to me, so I am making sure that I keep an eye on my boat! Have an excursion planned with Capt Marvin on my upcoming cruise...I'm not a real experienced snorkeler or swimmer, so I don't worry about getting too far from the boat!

I agree - no excuse. We did Captain Marvin's once and they did do a head count.

There was a case covered locally in our paper last month. Someone from Omaha was on an NCL cruise and disappared (presumed drowned) during an NCL snorkeling excursion in Belize. The guy was snorkeling with family and one of the family members turned away and then when he turned back, he was gone. They assume a current took him away. They searched for the body and never found it.

In Hawaii over T-day took a snorkel cruise out of Maui....did a count when we left the dock and a count before we left the snorkel area...and the Captain had 3 crew members take that count to be sure it matched, both times! Better safe than sorry...and a "buddy system" is a great idea! LuAnn

Friends were in Caymans doing the snorkel trip to Sting Ray city... husband boarded the boat, but wife not on board... the boat leaves, with the husband frantically telling the staff and captain that his wife was left behind. They were very unconcerned -- just told him that she'd have to get on another boat to get back to the shore. Luckily it worked out and she did come back on another companies boat and made it back to the ship just in time for departure. They have a very laid back attitude about it - I suspect because there are so many people in the water out there that it probably happens often.

On dive boats I've been on they do a very close count...especially so after the couple from La. were left adrift in Australia as shown in the Open Water movie.

We went with Soto's Cruises last week. Billy was watching everyone very closely!!!I could not have asked for a better tour guide.

If we go back to Cayman on this tour I will definitely use Billy again!

gc

I have gone with Marvin at least 10 times, including last month, every time they did a count on the trips I went on. Unfortunately, perhaps a double count system for added safety needs to be policy? This isn't a perfect world, and the snorkler should probably have been more attentive to the boat. I know they call for the snorklers several times, including hand gestures.

This post certainly will benefit everyone for added safety.

I'm certainly not trying to slam Capt. Marvin's tours as they have an excellent reputation on these boards & we could have just as easily gone out with them.

Just be very aware of what's going on around you, & on a snorkel trip, pop your head up every now & then to see what's going on... Particularly if you don't have anyone else on the boat to look out for you!

No matter who you go out with... If you want to have some fun with your wife... When they give you the squid, just squeeze it in your hand & let a little of that juice drip down the back of your wife's bathing suit. Of course, she shouldn't see you do that... Then, just wait for a ray to come up & take a big suck on her butt!

Let me know if she lifts higher out of the water than my wife did! Actually several rays came at her... No hickies from the rays, but a big suprise & a lot of laughs for the whole group! Yes, she has a great sense of humor & still loves me...

No matter who you go out with... If you want to have some fun with your wife... When they give you the squid, just squeeze it in your hand & let a little of that juice drip down the back of your wife's bathing suit. Of course, she shouldn't see you do that... Then, just wait for a ray to come up & take a big suck on her butt!

Let me know if she lifts higher out of the water than my wife did! Actually several rays came at her... No hickies from the rays, but a big suprise & a lot of laughs for the whole group! Yes, she has a great sense of humor & still loves me...

You are so bad!:D

I would kill my husband if he did that to me! That's pretty funny, though. Is it wrong that I would consider doing it to him?? :D

We went out with Captain Marvin's December 5 - they did a headcount even though there were probably only about 15 of us onboard. We had a great time with them - it's so sad that this happened! That's scary that someone was left behind!

Archived