Forgap & Rumor, Singapore-Sydney, Feb. 2-20, 2018--LIVE!

Mr Rumor

Glad Rich is commenting on the game and the tailgate snacks. I'm still in bed indulging my newest addiction - custard filled donuts glazed with dark chocolate. They are at the coffee connection along with delicious muffins. My routine is to go to the CC at the crack of dawn and get hot water for our french press (yes, we have a travel french press and pack a pound of our favorite french roast). Since it's early, I get a little something to tide me over to breakfast - hence my new addiction.

We arrive in Semarang, Indonesia at about noon and our friends have contracted a private tour to Borabodour. For some reason, Regent took this site off the excursion list this year so we are giving it a go independently. We are all anxious about missing the ship, but, we agreed that we most likely won't be back to this part of the world, so Carpe Diem!

Are there any particularly good bartenders onboard? Trying to figure out where we will hang out on the Voyager next month! To me a "particularly good" bartender is one willing to experiment and make a drink based on your desired taste (i.e. a sweet drink or a drink that is not sweet or with or without a certain spirit).

Thanks!

Glad Rich is commenting on the game and the tailgate snacks. I'm still in bed indulging my newest addiction - custard filled donuts glazed with dark chocolate. They are at the coffee connection along with delicious muffins. My routine is to go to the CC at the crack of dawn and get hot water for our french press (yes, we have a travel french press and pack a pound of our favorite french roast). Since it's early, I get a little something to tide me over to breakfast - hence my new addiction.

We arrive in Semarang, Indonesia at about noon and our friends have contracted a private tour to Borabodour. For some reason, Regent took this site off the excursion list this year so we are giving it a go independently. We are all anxious about missing the ship, but, we agreed that we most likely won't be back to this part of the world, so Carpe Diem!

I was hoping that no one else would discover those donuts. Will you be on April 2019, Mariner Round-trip Toyko?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Are there any particularly good bartenders onboard? Trying to figure out where we will hang out on the Voyager next month! To me a "particularly good" bartender is one willing to experiment and make a drink based on your desired taste (i.e. a sweet drink or a drink that is not sweet or with or without a certain spirit).

Thanks!

Is Tony still working for Regent?

I was hoping that no one else would discover those donuts. Will you be on April 2019, Mariner Round-trip Toyko?

No, we will be on the 2019 Mariner - Bangkok to Hong Kong. Deciding on 2020 cruise or land trip. I went to HS in Japan (DOD school - Yokohama HS) and we are having our 50th reunion in 2020 so that will mean a trip to Japan most definitely!

Is Tony still working for Regent?

Assuming that Tony is a bartender. I'm not familiar with him. In the past year or so most of the bartenders have been women -- most of them are not particularly friendly and not wiling to experiment with drinks (Olga is an exception). There are very few male bartenders but the ones that are there tend to be excellent! Not trying to bash women - I would love to see more female bartenders like Olga but unfortunately, that is not the case. It is quite frustrating!

The internet is considerably faster this morning. My theory is that they boosted the signal to be able to stream the Super Bowl. I am going to take the opportunity to post more photos as I finally downloaded pics from my camera.

This will give you a good idea of how crowded the streets of Jakarta can be.

0a7d4fb4bb5162f8d5a01e6bacc86ed4.jpg

Our walking tour of the Chinese wet market and the food market at lunchtime were equally dense with humanity.

eda8d8f46e3088ae420d62c085866058.jpg

During the tour, we visited two Chinese Buddhist temples. Since we are approaching the new year, many people were honoring ancestors and sending up prayers and messages to loved ones. I was mesmerized by the use of smoke to facilitate the prayers getting to destination.

6cb696d658b1ea2fd0256c9ae404e77b.jpg

They also had crates of little birds. Prayers were said, water was sprinkled on the crate, and the birds were released to the heavens. It was beautiful and mystical. e7574d9abc9dd1122f18e0db46e9ef9b.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not sure "Tony" (I address him as Anthony) is still with Regent. The Anthony I am speaking of was originally from France. He was still with Regent as of a year ago but he prefers the Navigator. He may have left - I know his wife did and they had a child. He had been promoted to Bar Manager around three years ago so if he is still with Regent he may not be tending bar.

If you do encounter Anthony, you cannot go wrong with him. He was very much a professional experienced bartender. I'll never forget the time when the bar was very crowded and folks were getting upset at the delay. Counterintuitivly, he told his helpers to move out from behind the bar and he pulled a Tom Cruise. He started twirling bottles, poured 4 drinks at a time and put on a show while increasing the thruput of drinks. What a show and the previously disgruntled customers were applauding him. Just incredible. I hope you do encounter him, be it at Regent or not.

Best,

John

Edited by Johnthesailor
correction

Travelcat, the best bartender onboard, in my opinion, is Joseph. We first met him on the Explorer a year ago Christmas and he was the best bar server(sorry, don’t know the official title) onboard, with a wit and a flair and a personal touch. Since then he has been promoted to Assistant Bartender and did an admirable job in the Horizon Lounge on our last leg. Unfortunately for us, his assignments this cruise take him to the Crew Bar in the evening. We can catch him in the Observation Lounge at cocktail hour before he heads to other duties - also Coffee Connection in the daytime - but we really do miss him in the evening. I hope he is still onboard when you join in a month and am sure you will enjoy his TLC.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Have a great time at Borobodur - IMHO one of the most interesting excursions in that part of the world! Traffic is a nightmare in Semarang though, I agree.

Thanks for sharing gorgeous photos!

Borobudur was a bust. More on that later.

Flooding rain and wind greeted us in Semarang, Indonesia today. The inimitable Ray Solitaire welcomes bedraggled, sodden passengers back from excursions!35f537874cf862a4862e1894f15317e6.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by forgap
Format error

We took a walk on the wet and wild side today in Semarang! We were delayed one and a half hours leaving the ship on our Steam Train and Plantation Visit excursion due to gangway issues and heavy rains necessitating the repositioning of tour buses onto the pier. When Gin and I finally made it down the gangway we had to slush our way through several inches of water to our bus, from where I chronicled the scene as Ginny wrung out her socks.

6aebf90a14dbde43f83c06fedb6c1b31.jpg

7a798f8f1875c20e0004adaaaa995350.jpg

217e0d6a2dad5b522d1809b4591e2447.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But on our way to Ambarawa the rain thankfully stopped. At the Ambarawa Station we boarded our third class rack track coach circa 1907 and commenced our ride. Some favorite scenes from our passing train:

446ee80859a9c618064bd5ffd940514a.jpg

9e267dab12fb2802a2ce6c959cb47ce8.jpg

55c13e15705c58a70188e7b2d5dcd339.jpg

ff1a94dfbfde97174f881c7c67bade64.jpg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr Rumor, you wouldn't believe it but this is the picture I took in 2012.....DSC04508-M.jpg

Aren't those the same boxes?! (possibly essential Semerang docking kit?!)

Great photo, Gilly! I'm envious now that our Essential Semarang Docking Kit was minus the makeshift bridge. It was straight into the drink for us after we stepped off the last box!

Jackie, that's not Massimo! Massimo himself just confirmed that (BTW, I extended your and Dennis' greetings and he said he looks forward to seeing you again very soon.)

Massimo can't confirm the officer on the right is Captain O'Neill, as he never sailed with him. He thinks, like I do, that the officer on the left may be then Staff Captain Felice. Obviously, more investigation is needed and I may have to go directly to Captain Felice. Stay tuned for the scoop. . .

Rich

Hambagahle, I am not Rich, but I can answer your question re Daniela. Yes, she used to be a wine steward. She has worked her way up in the company, and has been a F&B manager for at least 2 years now.

She is a lovely person and really knows her wines! Well done!!:)

Ginny and I are sharing the Voyager with 667 fellow cruisers, spanning 25 countries. Women, as usual, have the slight edge, 345-324.

I had expected more than 20 Aussies given the five Australia port stops and the fact that we're ending in Sydney. We had two more Australians on our 2017 Alaska cruise aboard the Mariner than we do on this cruise.

A bit of a surprise is the large number of Brits, 153, as it's not exactly a hop, skip and jump from London to Singapore.

Here is the complete Passenger Nationality Breakdown:

United States, 318

United Kingdom, 153

Canada, 73

Switzerland, 26

Australia, 20

Germany, 18

France, 9

Sweden, 8

Belgium, 6

Mexico, 5

Brazil, 4