Forgap & Rumor, Singapore-Sydney, Feb. 2-20, 2018--LIVE!

Mr Rumor

Regent has us in the Shangri-La Hotel in Chiang Mai. It is a lovely place with spacious rooms overlooking a beautiful garden with mountains in the distance.

4dece78c2cbf91e477bbedd518363d2a.jpg

The quirky part of the room is that there is a sliding wall next to the bed that reveals a window into the bathroom. I think that in some designer’s mind this idea would let light into the bathroom. But, shouldn’t the sliding wall be better placed inside the bathroom rather than outside the bathroom? This is an ideal room for voyeurs!

The hotel is very near the Chiang Mai night market. Since we had dinner on our own last night, we walked to a nearby restaurant and had a wonderful meal of Thai specialties. It was all ridiculously cheap, too. I wish we had more time here.....manicure/pedicure - $10; One hour Thai massage - $12; Foot and leg massage - $5!

The night market was bustling with street vendors and flea markets selling all sorts of stuff. Our greeters in one spot were these colorful drag queens. I think they were advertising a night club. 52c5676bf6af55a74faaa06baa35a2e9.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No Gideon’s bible in the bedside table at the Shangri-La!084fc6262c5e6ca0b52152f7c0a1fc70.jpg

Have to comment on this wonderful photo. All of our trips to Thailand have been land trips and there have been quite a few of them (from Chaing Mai to Phuket). The first time we visited Bangkok, we were overwhelmed with the amount of people, cars, motorcycles, etc. However, we noticed that, even though people were honking at each other, when they looked into each others eyes they smiled. I was impressed with the peacefulness and kindness of the people*.

At one of the hotels we saw The Teachings of Budda. I started reading it and was so interested that I purchased a copy when I got home. While not a religion that we follow, we find it a way of life that everyone should follow (peacefulness, kindness, tolerance........).

*The tourist "gimmick" in Bangkok is for a local to see a tourist looking at a map trying to figure out where a place is that they wish to see. The local makes up a story about why they are on the way to where you are going and offers to take you there. The "there" is typically a jewelry shop where you are greeted with an ice cold Coke. The local gets something for bringing you to their shop but that is the most pressure that we have experienced in Bangkok.

JAG2003, thanks for the early welcome aboard, and welcome to you, brand new Cruise Critic poster! Would love to have you join in on this blog.

Jennifer’s photo of the drag queens reminded me that I wanted to make brief mention of Singapore’s Bugis (pronounced Boogie) Street. The street doesn’t exist anymore, but is definitely remembered. We came upon a “Bugis Village” yesterday, and walked under this sign:

e0b2970b462ae0dc27a4c44e0ed79bc1.jpg

From the ‘50s into the ‘80s, Bugis Street was Singapore’s nighttime party address. I’ll never forgot the night in 1974 when some crew friends and I made it over to Bugis Street at dusk and watched as food and drink vendors showed up, tables and chairs were set up on the street, and drinking and revelry ensued. When the evening’s star attraction—a succession of gorgeous drag queens dressed to the nines—made their entrance, the energy on the street soared.

Still affected by my night on Bugis Street after I left the ship a few months later, I penned a song lyric called “Bugis Street Cinderella.” The opening verse went something like this: “She’s a Bugis Street Cinderella/She’ll let you kiss her hand/She struts around in the moonlight/But in the morning she’s a truck-driving man!”

Well the table has been set for a number of days, and now we’ve had our pre-cruise “appetizer” posts. Thanks for indulging us. Next: the Singapore-Sydney main course!

I am well fortified at the moment, thanks to an amazing breakfast buffet this morning at the Fairmont’s Prego restaurant. The offerings spanned one entire side of the sprawling restaurant space, scores and scores of items. We were ready to make a tiny dent in it, too, having hit the hay early last night in lieu of dinner.

We are sticking with the Regent transfer after toying with taking a cab. We are on the first bus, scheduled to leave the hotel at noon. Will have to bid adieu to high speed internet posting at that time of course, but will make do with whatever the wi-fi conditions are asea.

Weather has been great, partly sunny, humid but not overbearingly so, and not a drop of rain. There is a chance of a thunderstorm this afternoon, but the forecast is for partly cloudy skies when we set sail at 5 p.m.

Next post will be from aboard the Voyager!

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Mr Rumor

Hi Jan, thanks!

Regent's Singapore port agent had an interesting way of organizing today's transfer to the ship. Groups were summoned to a room next to a "VIP" waiting room on the Fairmont's fourth floor according to their assigned bus number (30 or so for each of seven buses). There they identified each luggage piece with a green sticker before being ushered out another door for several escalator rides down to the ground floor where they boarded their bus.

We were on the first bus, which left about 15 minutes after its scheduled noon departure. By a little before 1 we were in line waiting to do our embarkation paperwork with one of the Regent production cast members. It took about 25 minutes to make it to the front of the line, about 23 minutes longer, by my observation, than the Master, Grand, Voyager and Seven Seas Suite check-in to our immediate left.

Once onboard we went up to La Veranda, where we ate lightly after our breakfast feast. Then it was on to our room to unpack. Thanks to the timely delivery of our bags, we had this task completed by our 5:15 lifeboat drill.

The 6 p.m. sailaway (not 5, as listed in our document) featured the band, but not the sailaway (we actually didn't set sail until almost 7 due to the late arrival of several dozen passengers). That and the light drizzle didn't seem to bother the scores who had come onto the Pool Deck. We stayed until 6:30, when we went down to Compass Rose to claim a two-top in Risky's station. We ate lightly again while making light banter with one of our favorite CR servers. By the time we left at 8, there was a line of upwards of 20 people waiting for a table.

We could have attended a screening of "Dunkirk" in the Constellation Theater or a combination introduction of staff members by CD Ray Solaire and a "Let's Go to the Hop Welcome Aboard Dance Night" in the Horizon Lounge. But we opted to retire. You think you've easily vanquished jet lag, then it slips you a Mickey!

Rich

P.S. I was on the lookout for my blogging partner today but didn't spot Jennifer or her hubby. I'll be making the scene tomorrow on our first of seven sea days (enrichment lecture on Indonesia, Baggo Officers' Challenge, Asian Lunch on the Pool Deck, and more) so hope for better luck then!

Rick, the pleasure is mine to blog. I've learned so much from following this board that I'm happy to make my contribution when Ginny and I cruise. And by the way I was derelict in thanking you for blogging your TA last fall. It was a great read.

We had a Code Mike at about 11 last night--a fellow passenger may have suffered a stroke. Captain Felice turned the Voyager around and there was a helicopter rescue in Singaporean waters at roughly 2 a.m. Arrangements have been made for the gentleman's wife to fly from Jakarta to be with him (he's in Singapore General). Our thoughts are with them.

Because of the time lost, we're booking it to Jakarta today.

I had no plans to hit the gym this morning, but when I woke up bright-eyed at 6 or so, I located my exercise duds and did an hour workout. On my return to the room guess who I nearly walked into--Jennifer! Because I was still rather, er, moist from the workout we hugged gingerly. I then learned why there was no chance of my having spotted her and Georges around the ship yesterday, but I'll let her recount the tale!

It's just after 8 now and Ginny's still sawing wood. Good for her. . .

Rich

We were the laggards who held up the ship so we had no line and no delay checking in! Our plane left Chiang Mai a bit late so we landed at 3:40 instead of 3:30. This was a bit of a tight fit for a planned 6:00 pm departure, in my opinion, but I tend to like to be places well ahead of time.

The problem was the lines at immigration in Singapore were very long so that took us about 45 minutes, and others took even longer to get through the massive backup. Once luggage was collected, we were on our way to the ship by 5:15.

We missed the lifeboat drill which was rescheduled for 9 pm which we also missed because we were in the middle of dinner. I’m sure they will wrangle us today and take us through our paces.

For the first time in a week I slept more than 5 hours and woke up at a normal time! I think that Sturgeron might have helped! And, on my way down to the coffee connection, I stumbled upon Rich, my co-blogger. He has great energy so I think we’ll make a good team!

John and Jan here. After about 30 hours of travel we arrived about 8AM and took a cab to the ship. Our luggage was checked in but we had to wait a few hours until noon when passenger check in took place. Regent had beverages and danish set up at the reception area. Once checked in we were greeted warmly by ships crew and spent some time refamiliarizing ourselves with the ship. After the safety drill we had a nice sail away. Dined in Prime7 and had a good but not great meal with great service and had a good time dining with a shared table. It may have been great but perhaps we were too jet lagged to truly enjoy it. It was still very good. Looking forward to meeting Rumor and foregap and hope they don't mind me posting on their thread. It will be another great Regent cruise!

John, please post away! Looking forward to meeting you and Jan.

Because of rainy conditions earlier, the 10 a.m. Equator crossing ceremony led by CD Ray, I mean King Neptune, was moved indoors. The dozens of Polliwogs either whacked a propelled rat or had to “kiss the fish” to earn their Equator crossing certificate.

2a002b50dc8f5f85dff99f0a7560acc5.jpg

We have a terrific enrichment lecturer, Hugh Neighbour, on board who gave a very interesting talk on Indonesia. Since we knew virtually nothing about the region, it was a very informative morning.

The refurbishment of the Voyager is well done, although I still miss the cabinets over the desk area. We are still able to hide most of our clutter though. The little shelf and mirror as you enter the cabin has also been removed. We used to keep key cards, excursion tickets, and library books there, so now I need to find another perch for these things so they don’t go missing.

I’m also not a big fan of the big art pieces but I do like the choices for hall art. Art is subjective so I don’t fault Regent at all for not aligning with my aresthetic point of view!

Our cabin color palette is muted and lovely - grays, blues, and taupe. I was delighted to see the change in carpet in the common areas. The previous carpet was a purple pattern that clashed with the granite on the border. Now it is a blue, golden brown pattern that will be very forgiving of dirt and stains. In fact, it a loaded diaper could fall on it and you may not even be able to tell! I’ll try to post a pic!

It seems to have stopped raining so we will be off to the Asian themed deck lunch as soon as monsieur wakes up from his morning nap!

Mr. Rumor, forgap, johnthesailor (all) Fair Winds and Following seas in Asia.

Rich, Jennifer; believe David de Santos is your restaurant mgr please pass our warm regards along. We have Maria as our restaurant mgr here on board the Mariner (sailing the Chilean fjords today)

We got our first look at the Voyager production team tonight when the cast performed several numbers from “Mamma Mia” as part of a variety program also featuring CD Ray and the Mimosa Duo (violin and guitar). This cast, which has been onboard since last September, will perform the Regent-fleet premiere of “Soul Rocking Nights” later in the cruise.

dd65877b1da6e10e818fb74982c1a6c6.jpg

Edited by Mr Rumor

Wes, I'll be sure to give your and Ida's regards to Restaurant Manager David, who is ever present as you know. Just caught up on your wonderful Lima-Buenos Aires blog and especially enjoyed the latest crew profiles.

It was a nice and easy settling-in kind of day featuring the aforementioned Variety Show, an enrichment lecture (I agree with Jennifer that Hugh Neighbour is excellent), the Pool Deck's Asian Lunch (including dim sum which was yum sum), a two hour nap and Captain Felice's reception. We also got a couple of pieces of good news: 1.) the gentleman who had to be evacuated is doing OK and 2.) we'll be getting the Super Bowl! It will be broadcast on Monday at 6 in the morning local time in the Constellation Theater, very convenient since we don't dock in Semarang that day until noon.

We are due to arrive in Jakarta tomorrow morning at 9. At dinner tonight in CR, Risky asked what our plans are. When I replied the Beautiful Indonesia Miniature Park excursion, which showcases Indonesia's culture and traditions, she said we'd made a great choice, adding she has a home 15 minutes away from the park! She is excited to be seeing her mom and dad and sister, as we know all of the Voyager's 55 Indonesian crew members who will be hosting family visitors over the next few days must be.

Rich