Forgap & Rumor, Singapore-Sydney, Feb. 2-20, 2018--LIVE!

Mr Rumor

Last night our excursion finale was a performance of Kecak which is a traditional Balinese dance of the story of Ramayana. It is as much a vocal performance as a dance. Men sit in concentric circles, swaying and vocalizing sounds as a storyteller narrates the unfolding story in dance. It’s a complicated tale of love and treachery with love triumphing in the end.

6bc686e609486f224fbfb00de2e830ea.jpg

0d3a3ddc6eae7081fc4fdb0b22abf029.jpg

4121ac20c62c271b30e0ab40315ecd1a.jpg

The performance ended with a fire dance with one of the men walking on flaming coconuts while in a spiritual trance.

140a00d699fc6781d09189802016ef85.jpg

All this was performed on a lawn in a jungle setting with exotic tropical birds calling as night fell. It was quite a special night.

At BalI’s Taman Ayun (literally “beautiful garden”) Temple at Mengwi this morning. The temple was built by the Raja of Mengwi in 1634.

eb85bfd69a40fcf94ffed823de0b9b2c.jpg

68f716dfec774cd406ede550905f5dad.jpg

3f6ce0749e43b6e84c51933ab8c624e8.jpg

Alas, because of time constraints, our visit to the ancient Hindu pilgrimage temple Tanah Lot was limited to a brief photo op from a distance.

facd299f14257569b0c8ced59753b373.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had an early morning and a long drive. Today we traveled to the Ulan Danu temple in the highlands of Bali. This area was much cooler and is famous for it’s agriculture and coffee production. Coffee beans are arabica and robusta and a local specialty, Luwak is expensive because it is produced from the coffee beans which have been digested and then re-harvested by the Indonesian cat-like animal called a civet. Our guide said that the World drinks cappuccino but, in Bali, they drink cap-POO-ccino.

The temple complex was beautiful.

59369c99d7fca96474e89cb57932feea.jpg

The drive back included the rice terraces...not quite the terraces of my imagination but beautiful, none the less!

3f77e987af2ddb1488d1e3b129e74699.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks, Linda!

The Voyager Production Company paid tribute tonight to “The greatest moments of the Hollywood movie musical” with their second production, “Lights! Camera! Music!”

a61f9e23fa6da760dbebd58f5f01f557.jpg

And now Denis and Elina—the Natural Duo—are packing the Voyager Lounge dance floor with their engaging mix of rock, Latin and pop.

eb0d1f8c3b9887720bbfbf3233710f7c.jpg

“La Bamba!”

64d88a3afc7469731d645c8c55a75310.jpg

This young guy felt so relaxed in our company that he squatted down and took a whiz!

578ea4f70a5f824f1a57f46705c7abb5.jpg

Baby Komodos have survival on their minds the minute they are born, scaling the nearest tamarind or palm tree to escape mom, who would find them a tasty morsel. A tree will be their full-time residence for the first two or three years of life, with only the occasional foray into the neighborhood. This little Komodo was spotted a short distance from the water hole, where a handful of adults were hanging out.

I’d guess the temp was in the low to mid-80s, Jackie. It helped that the trail we walked was almost completely in the shade. Still, we couldn’t wait to take a shower when we returned to our room.

We’re now Darwin bound. Goodbye, Komodo Island, goodbye Indonesia. Thanks for the memories!

7c0a7b6a59a8b47f13496a7e5c800f73.jpg

As thrilling as it was for Ginny and I to finally see Bali together, I know our elation couldn’t compare to that of the Voyager Balinese crew members who were able to host or visit ashore with family.

Seven Balinese crew even had the joy of sleeping in their own bed, a precious gift from Regent, who we have seen time and again go just a little bit beyond to show its appreciation for its hard-working crew.

One of those lucky seven was our steward, Ida Bagus, already on his seventh contract with Regent at the age of 27. I can’t imagine a situation any more special than Bagus’, who got married in 2017 and whose wife, Cokorda Dewi, is pregnant with their first child.

When Bagus began his present contract last November, Cokorda barely boasted a bump. But today, at seven months, Bogus says there is no mistaking she is very pregnant. (Bagus added that while their doctor has informed them that they are probably having a girl, Cokorda is betting on a boy: “The baby has been very active.”)

While his wife was able to drift off to sleep quickly Wednesday night, Bagus said he was too excited to sleep. “I kept touching the baby—I felt her kicking!” he exclaimed.

Bagus will miss the Hindu Seven Months Pregnant Ceremony on February 15, as well the baby’s birth. But he will return home in July just in time for the Three Month Ceremony on July 15, and he is delighted about that.

Rich

Bagus shares a favorite photo of his wife Cokorda Dewi. “I’m so lucky,” he said.

db5f598a8e1bc6ea1f72a3bfa960ddb0.jpg

00d68726ebc0fc74547c6b592707bb62.jpg

Fab pictures....did you buy pearls?!

No....I lived in Japan as a teenager and my mother seemed to be best friends with the pearl man. My niece and my nephew’s wife have all benefitted from her hoard and now I have to wait for my grand nephews to marry to get rid of more!:eek: