Seaside to avoid at all cost!

cruiselover168

I had to look up lox to see what it was. LOL I guess it's just a type of cured salmon, not something I've ever thought about or equated to breakfast food.
It's similar to smoked salmon, but saltier. As with smoked salmon, it is best eaten on a bagel with cream cheese, which even MSC had on the MDR menu (relative to your not equating it with breakfast). However, there was no smoked salmon to be had on the buffet.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

I beg to differ. Where I come from smoked salmon and lox are eaten with black bread and a horseradish-whipped cream mixture. Delicious!

But oh no! MSC did not cater to my particular "European" taste - funny, thinking that based on so many threads and posts on CC seem to opine that all Europeans or all Americans are the same. This is not a criticism of you or your lox comment - just a little exasperated rant out of the blue. OK, rant over.

But seriously, try the black bread (not pumpernickel) and horseradish, you may like it.

I beg to differ. Where I come from smoked salmon and lox are eaten with black bread and a horseradish-whipped cream mixture. Delicious!

But oh no! MSC did not cater to my particular "European" taste - funny, thinking that based on so many threads and posts on CC seem to opine that all Europeans or all Americans are the same. This is not a criticism of you or your lox comment - just a little exasperated rant out of the blue. OK, rant over.

But seriously, try the black bread (not pumpernickel) and horseradish, you may like it.

In Canada we like to have smoked salmon for breakfast on a bacon rosti with hollandaise sauce, and a baby greens salad with a simple vinegrette on the side.

It was on the dinner menu as an appetizer one night as well, a large piece of smoked salmon wrapped around a mound of salmon mousse. It would have been better with just your black bread and horseradish.

It's also tasty in omelets, but there was none at the buffet and it was not offered as an omelet option on the MDR menu.

yes it sounds delicious in omelettes... maybe we should all send messages to msc with this request so they'll have it when we cruise.

On the Divina, they did have salmon at the omelette station.

Given the amount of food offered shipwide, I am sure I shall find something else tasty to devour multiple times a day.

I'm sure I would like it! But I like everything....except radishes.

That sounds delicious! OK ... what is black bread if it isn't Pumpernickel? I immediately thought it was Pumpernickel. And I MISS getting some foods from New England that I couldn't get in CA and now can't get in SLC, Ut. :(

I disagree with some posters in that I think that if you're paying thousands of dollars for a cruise (even if RCI/NCL/etc cost more for a similar cruise), you deserve excellent and prompt customer service.

Chick-Fil-A isn't fine dining, but they're very popular partly because of their great attitude and customer service orientation. I see no reason that guest services and other positions on a large cruise line shouldn't be similar. Rationalizing slow or bad service with 'well, you're paying a really low price!' just doesn't cut it for me.

Hear hear

I see no reason that guest services and other positions on a large cruise line shouldn't be similar. Rationalizing slow or bad service with 'well, you're paying a really low price!' just doesn't cut it for me.

Jimbob22 .... So you will not be cruising MSC anytime soon then ? All the Carnival owned brands will no doubt be the same as what you describe, As MSC is owned by an Italian family, it won`t be.

Jimbob22 .... So you will not be cruising MSC anytime soon then ? All the Carnival owned brands will no doubt be the same as what you describe, As MSC is owned by an Italian family, it won`t be.

Probably not. If Miami was a quick drive and we could do multiple cruises per year, maybe I'd work MSC into the rotation. But it's an ordeal for us to get down there, so I'm more inclined to go with one of the other cruise lines.

It does look like yacht club is a better experience--but this ship has plumbing issues (sewage odors affecting a certain percentage of rooms) , major customer service issues, a very skimpy dinner buffet, only partial door on the shower (not sure I mind soaking the bathroom as much as I absolutely hate stepping out of the shower onto a cold, soaking wet tub-mat towel.).

MSC does certain things well, although there are other aspects of the European experience that are big turnoffs, and on vacation we'd rather not deal with irritations (or risk certain others, such as 'will our room stink really badly?').

Probably not. If Miami was a quick drive and we could do multiple cruises per year, maybe I'd work MSC into the rotation. But it's an ordeal for us to get down there, so I'm more inclined to go with one of the other cruise lines.

It does look like yacht club is a better experience--but this ship has plumbing issues (sewage odors affecting a certain percentage of rooms) , major customer service issues, a very skimpy dinner buffet, only partial door on the shower (not sure I mind soaking the bathroom as much as I absolutely hate stepping out of the shower onto a cold, soaking wet tub-mat towel.).

MSC does certain things well, although there are other aspects of the European experience that are big turnoffs, and on vacation we'd rather not deal with irritations (or risk certain others, such as 'will our room stink really badly?').

The partial shower doors are only in the bathrooms with bathtubs of which there are few.

The partial shower doors are only in the bathrooms with bathtubs of which there are few.

definitely good to know. It looks like the Aurea have the bathtub setup. Do all of the YC have the same setup? Or maybe the YC inside rooms have a full, enclosed shower?

I'm sure the tub is considered part of an upgraded experience--but I'd much rather have a full, enclosed shower, although several have said that the shower is somehow smaller than those of other cruise lines.

From memory only the Aurea suites with whirlpool baths and family rooms have a tub in the bathroom, all the other rooms have an enclosed shower as did our Aft Aurea Suite. please make sure you check things out and don`t just take one persons word that things are wrong. Recent cruisers have come off the ship saying that the smells have now gone.

Recent cruisers have come off the ship saying that the smells have now gone.

Sorry, that's not accurate. We smelled it last week when we were in certain areas on the higher decks. Others whose cabins were on deck 15 said they smelled it more regularly. We were on 9 and I think we only smelled it once in our hallway.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Recent cruisers have come off the ship saying that the smells have now gone.

Sorry, that's not accurate. We smelled it last week when we were in certain areas on the higher decks.

We're still on board and I do think it's quite a bit better now on the lower decks, Massa said they have made some mechanical changes to address it. The smell was definitely coming out of random a/c ducts last week. Yesterday at Nassau it was still very strong around the aqua park and main pool deck. Today at sea it is quite windy, but still noteable on the starboard side (downwind) and aft of the aqua park stacks. It's easy enough to avoid by moving to the port side (upwind).

Boschmann ... Thanks for the update, I have a friend boarding on Saturday and it will be interesting to see how it goes.

It does seem odd that over Xmas we never noticed anything and I don't recall hearing anything about it on the T.A.

Keep an eye out for Jim Zim's indepth review coming soon (it will post under Spaniel Lover).... Worst cruise out of 43.... Once you read his review and pros/cons of ship....You will have a real good idea what your willing to tolerate. He will compare his experience on MSC to the other lines....

Keep in mind though, his review (if you have time to read it), is only one person's opinion.