How can there be such widely varied opinions of the Seaside?

baklabending

Changing things on a new ship is not new and not exclusive to MSC. Best example is Anthem of the Seas. Go back and read the initial reviews. They were horrible! Royal introduced a whole new dinning system. There was not traditional dinning. People HATED it. It was supposed go fleet wide. Within a few weeks of launching, they started offering an option of traditional or the new system. A few weeks later, they scrapped the new system on Anthem scrapped the plan to go fleet wide. They had to change unique dinning venues into traditional dinning rooms on the fly. I understand it's your vacation, but cruising on a new ship with new systems and concepts, you have to understand there will be kinks and most often pretty dramatic changes over the first few months,. They can't make changes without actually trying things on actual paying customers and seeing how it works and how people react to it. Unfortunately early on, everyone is kind of guinea pig. The same can be said for any ship, especially a new concept. I guarantee Celebrity Edge will see similar comments this time next year,

“Makes many N Americans feel...” Just how many North Americans have you personally spoken to? You seem awfully certain about MSC’s future. What if you’re wrong? Are you going to return here and say you got it all wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icpagejr ... It is clear that you know little about MSC or Costa or their deployments, the statement that they will head back to Europe proves that beyond doubt. MSC are not new to Florida and have been there since around 2008, if not before.

You have made your point that you are not a fan of MSC so why are you even here?

Thank you Nunagoras,

“Yes, as will all the competitors”...(improve). Unfortunately the mass market lines are continuing their downward spiral...they are not improving. The management continues to squeeze every dime and dollar out in order to reward the management and stockholders. When you are paying your CEO over 20 million dollars per quarter in stock options...you know something has to give as far as the passengers/guests are concerned. Hence, the decline in quality that has become so obvious in the mass market lines. My point is that MSC is not held hostage to this stockholder model. They are free to be less conservative in their business plans. If you look at the company over the past 15 years you can see that their projections are ever upwards. The last time we saw something like this happen in the cruise industry was the rise of the Chandris family which became Celebrity Cruises. It is no mistake that MSC has acquired the services of a man who was President of Chandris-Celebrity Cruises who has worked with MSC for the past twelve years and is now the CEO of MSC America. Despite Gianni Onorato’s downplaying of MSC’s impact in he American market...they are here in the USA for the long run. I know the management and I can tell you they are listening and they are planning their next moves. The numbers they are playing with are mind boggling. They are putting together a labor force of approximately 32,000 people at sea and another 12,000 on shore leave. All these people need to be trained and most of them are currently taking additional language lessons. All this will take time. Again...I am predicting success...eventually.

Many thanks again to the very kind words! :)

Sincerely, I don't believe the mass market industry to be downgrading quality as a whole, even from my simple guest point of view with 5 MSC cruises and 1 RCI Allure of the Seas done to date and another MSC cruise scheduled for the next months to do... Well: ask all those teens and young adults you find on every other of your cruises and they will tell about themselves. Now they have all those "fun" activities like zip lines, climbing walls, flow riders, bowling alleys and I can even continue... They have Broadway quality shows, vibrant discos, lively bars and lounges... Yes they also get "quicker" and simpler food services... But they are what I can describe as being "fast going easy pleasing individuals"... For some they just the millennials and post-millennials... For me they are just the future cruise crowd!...

By reading those CC forums I feel like there is such a generation of veteran cruisers whom have started their cruise career some 20 years ago or even earlier and whom have now between 45 and 65 whom are being sort of thrown away from cruising... They are not on the likes of the future crowd... But they don't have money or they have no interest to go on the premium and luxury lines catering for an older and even different demographics... At least MSC is doing something good for them: It's called the Yacht Club! But the YC is perhaps a small enclave that is only on nearly half of their fleet right now!... At least there those individuals can have the perceived quality of the "good old days" at a reasonable price!... No surprise the success of a product like that here at CC!... And let me to say: If I were MSC's owner, I would do the following experiment: Pick one of the Musica class of ships that are now perhaps more than paid off to the shipyard (7 to 12 years old 92K gross tons ships), return her back to the shipyard; remove all the deck 5 cabins and transform that area on more common areas for passengers ("easy" once those ships were built modular enough for those changes, so the owner wants); let the cabins with obstructed views on deck 8 to become crew area; transform all the connecting rooms on premium suites with one of the older rooms becoming a living room; make the ship adult only or at least teens and adult only; and bring that ship to the Caribbean as an YC exclusive service ship! Perhaps that would be a way forward for them to have success on the US market!... :)

Oh! And there is another thing I think MSC is doing well on that "generation war" battle: Want to enjoy the "fun activities"? You'll need to pay for them! TBHH: I don't want to subsidize fun activities I will not use on my cruise!...

MSC has opportunities... But they need to search for them!... Eventually they will find them!... :)

Have a nice day!... :)

Edited by Nunagoras

Icpagejr ... It is clear that you know little about MSC or Costa or their deployments, the statement that they will head back to Europe proves that beyond doubt. MSC are not new to Florida and have been there since around 2008, if not before.

You have made your point that you are not a fan of MSC so why are you even here?

Do you consider 2008 established, in what regard?? 1 maybe 2 ships in US?? Your fighting harder than I am to state how wonderful MSC is. Best of luck....

And 'Now I ask' you...who made you the spokesman for all Americans. You've made a lot generalizations about the US clientele and the spokesmen for MSC. You speak for none of us. Yes you have your opinion, but it is just your opinion. There's been a lot said by people that have actually sailed on the Seaside. You haven't, but you talk as if you're an expert. You know exactly what MSC means when they say their expanding their presence in the North American market.

Actual the postings I bolded above, are quite true about the majority of Americans I have met traveling. This poster is right, in that these views I believe to be of Silent or perhaps, not-so-silent majority of American travelers. If MSC wants to dominate the US market (as told to me by both the Divina's Hotel Director & Captian) then they need to greatly increasre their standards in Service & Hospitality! There is a realson Costa has failed in the US market and why their board is practically silent.

I just saw a video today where this couple who sailed 35 cruises gave a very positive review of their Seaside Spa Suite, but said due to Service & Hospitality, they would never cruise the line again. These people would be Aqua guests on Celebrity, Havana on Carnival, or Club Class on Princess. They are more than prepaired to spend money, but MSC has managed to piss them off Royally!

I predict MSC will be great at getting price driven, bottom feeders and filling their Yacht Club. But this will not make them profitable in the Caribbean and will give them a reputation that will kill them in the Alaskan market. Yes thats right, according to the Divina's Captain, MSC is soon to go into Alaska! Good luck, just look at Disney's experience there.

Many thanks again to the very kind words! :)

Sincerely, I don't believe the mass market industry to be downgrading quality as a whole, even from my simple guest point of view with 5 MSC cruises and 1 RCI Allure of the Seas done to date and another MSC cruise scheduled for the next months to do... Well: ask all those teens and young adults you find on every other of your cruises and they will tell about themselves. Now they have all those "fun" activities like zip lines, climbing walls, flow riders, bowling alleys and I can even continue... They have Broadway quality shows, vibrant discos, lively bars and lounges... Yes they also get "quicker" and simpler food services... But they are what I can describe as being "fast going easy pleasing individuals"... For some they just the millennials and post-millennials... For me they are just the future cruise crowd!...

By reading those CC forums I feel like there is such a generation of veteran cruisers whom have started their cruise career some 20 years ago or even earlier and whom have now between 45 and 65 whom are being sort of thrown away from cruising... They are not on the likes of the future crowd... But they don't have money or they have no interest to go on the premium and luxury lines catering for an older and even different demographics... At least MSC is doing something good for them: It's called the Yacht Club! But the YC is perhaps a small enclave that is only on nearly half of their fleet right now!... At least there those individuals can have the perceived quality of the "good old days" at a reasonable price!... No surprise the success of a product like that here at CC!... And let me to say: If I were MSC's owner, I would do the following experiment: Pick one of the Musica class of ships that are now perhaps more than paid off to the shipyard (7 to 12 years old 92K gross tons ships), return her back to the shipyard; remove all the deck 5 cabins and transform that area on more common areas for passengers ("easy" once those ships were built modular enough for those changes, so the owner wants); let the cabins with obstructed views on deck 8 to become crew area; transform all the connecting rooms on premium suites with one of the older rooms becoming a living room; make the ship adult only or at least teens and adult only; and bring that ship to the Caribbean as an YC exclusive service ship! Perhaps that would be a way forward for them to have success on the US market!... :)

Oh! And there is another thing I think MSC is doing well on that "generation war" battle: Want to enjoy the "fun activities"? You'll need to pay for them! TBHH: I don't want to subsidize fun activities I will not use on my cruise!...

MSC has opportunities... But they need to search for them!... Eventually they will find them!... :)

Have a nice day!... :)

I really like your ideas, I really beleive with your concept MSC could actually beat Crystal and the other Premium & Luxury lines! Perhaps they could also purchase the SS United States and convert it for Hawaiian passenger service, with an American crew. They must have a luxury "Holland America/Princess" experience in Alaska, or they will fail there. A "All Yacht Club Ship" would succeed and help build their brand, in North America. The need to build the reputation as the Celebrity of Europe!

Where is Costa now?? Europe mostly...hmmm..... Where will MSC mosty if not exclusively be in a few years????

It seems you not only have no idea about the Seaside but also about the cruise market itself. Costa is Carnivals flagship for the South European market as AIDA is for the North European excluding UK. Of cause Carnival has no interest that Costa fights with their US brands in the US market as well as they will not send AIDA ships to attack the US :D

MSC is strongest in Europe and Asia and I bet they will perform very good in the US and the caribbean market. They maybe will not have you on board, but when I read the Seaside reviews here in this board it is quite obvious that they made alot of things right.

It seems you not only have no idea about the Seaside but also about the cruise market itself. Costa is Carnivals flagship for the South European market as AIDA is for the North European excluding UK. Of cause Carnival has no interest that Costa fights with their US brands in the US market as well as they will not send AIDA ships to attack the US :D

MSC is strongest in Europe and Asia and I bet they will perform very good in the US and the caribbean market. They maybe will not have you on board, but when I read the Seaside reviews here in this board it is quite obvious that they made alot of things right.

Thanks for the smart a__ response. Yes I knew Carnival purchased Costa. And Carnival had nothing to worry about in competing with Costa. Big companies buy little companies....DUH Also it allowed Carnival to minimize repositioning cruises during the summer of their Carnival fleet. Costa is also in other areas as well....but since your Mr know it all....I won't bore you with that information.

There has been a Costa ship in Florida for years; though sadly often poor reviews!

And just like MSC those people want what they have at home and cannot adapt! that is quite clear from many of the reviews.

Many of whom have been first time cruisers not just to Seaside but to MSC as well.

How many of them have never been anywhere other than the Caribbean and therefore know no different, and are clearly intolerant of other cultures.

Quite happy to pay for a beer price wise but then expect Champagne, and whinge and whine when they don`t get it.

come back in 12 months time and tell us that MSC will not be there, just the same as others did when Divina arrived!

There has been a Costa ship in Florida for years; though sadly often poor reviews!

And just like MSC those people want what they have at home and cannot adapt! that is quite clear from many of the reviews.

Many of whom have been first time cruisers not just to Seaside but to MSC as well.

How many of them have never been anywhere other than the Caribbean and therefore know no different, and are clearly intolerant of other cultures.

Quite happy to pay for a beer price wise but then expect Champagne, and whinge and whine when they don`t get it.

come back in 12 months time and tell us that MSC will not be there, just the same as others did when Divina arrived!

Very well said!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What amazes me, is, people are cancelling cruises on Seaside because some guy with 43 cruises thinks they should!

Yes, that level of experience is impressive...but, at the end of the day it boils down to one mans opinion.

The lack of critical thinking skills demonstrated on these boards daily is staggering.

I am thinking more so of canceling just from the attitudes of folks here. Like, who attacks someone because they didn't like their own vacation? Is this representative of what it will be like on Seaside? Will people jump down my throat and bash my nationality because I don't like the food? Will people call me names or question my thinking ability if I don't like the smell? My gosh, some folks on this forum are downright scary.

What amazes me, is, people are cancelling cruises on Seaside because some guy with 43 cruises thinks they should!

Yes, that level of experience is impressive...but, at the end of the day it boils down to one mans opinion.

The lack of critical thinking skills demonstrated on these boards daily is staggering.

I'm not sure that is an entirely fair analysis. Those canceling do not appear to be doing so based on one review, rather many reviews with common themes.

I've sailed MSC (twice) and feel reasonably informed about the overall product. I totally understand (and expect) some of the food options will be of the inexpensive variety. First hand examples i've experienced; herring pate' at breakfast instead of salmon and meatloaf as the main buffet protein (twice) instead of prime rib. Not a huge issue to me (bargain pricing). I get that the shows will be generic due to language issues and I'm fine with that. I am also fine with aloof service and the one thing I expect is inconsistency. I'm good with all that for the right price.

I'm weighing my options for an Easter Break Cruise. Seaside is by FAR the least expensive and prices are dropping quickly. I'm ok with going budget for this trip as we spend 80% of our travel dollars on our summer trips across the pond. Should I choose MSC I feel like I know what I"m getting.

However; Seaside appears to have thrown two additional obstacles into the MSC experience mix that may be deal breakers for me regardless of the fact that Seaside is currently the cheapest ship sailing the caribbean (and doesn't that say a lot given how new and beautiful she is?).

1) Lack of proper dinner buffet for evening meal on nights I wish to skip MDR. All I need is a good salad bar for dinner. Divina had that. Based on the only video evidence I have gathered, Seaside offers a bowl of lettuce and some onions in a buffet area that is much too small to accomodate those who, like me, wish to skip the mdr in the evenings.

2) Added sewage smell across the ship. Never before have I read so many reviews complaining about sewer smell. Sure all ships can have the odar, but it sure does seem that the sewer smell is far too common a theme.

These things might not matter to some, but they do matter to me. I keep waiting to read whether or not they have fixed the dinner buffet by opening marketplace as a buffet and using deck 16 as overflow, but it doesn't look like it. Cheng stated that some of the sewer smell can be reduced once MSC realizes what drains are evaporting (make sense), but I then question whether or not MSC will follow up on a regular basis.

I may have finally answered my own question with this post. Is that lack of critical thinking? :)

I'm not sure that is an entirely fair analysis. Those canceling do not appear to be doing so based on one review, rather many reviews with common themes.

I've sailed MSC (twice) and feel reasonably informed about the overall product. I totally understand (and expect) some of the food options will be of the inexpensive variety. First hand examples i've experienced; herring pate' at breakfast instead of salmon and meatloaf as the main buffet protein (twice) instead of prime rib. Not a huge issue to me (bargain pricing). I get that the shows will be generic due to language issues and I'm fine with that. I am also fine with aloof service and the one thing I expect is inconsistency. I'm good with all that for the right price.

I'm weighing my options for an Easter Break Cruise. Seaside is by FAR the least expensive and prices are dropping quickly. I'm ok with going budget for this trip as we spend 80% of our travel dollars on our summer trips across the pond. Should I choose MSC I feel like I know what I"m getting.

However; Seaside appears to have thrown two additional obstacles into the MSC experience mix that may be deal breakers for me regardless of the fact that Seaside is currently the cheapest ship sailing the caribbean (and doesn't that say a lot given how new and beautiful she is?).

1) Lack of proper dinner buffet for evening meal on nights I wish to skip MDR. All I need is a good salad bar for dinner. Divina had that. Based on the only video evidence I have gathered, Seaside offers a bowl of lettuce and some onions in a buffet area that is much too small to accomodate those who, like me, wish to skip the mdr in the evenings.

2) Added sewage smell across the ship. Never before have I read so many reviews complaining about sewer smell. Sure all ships can have the odar, but it sure does seem that the sewer smell is far too common a theme.

These things might not matter to some, but they do matter to me. I keep waiting to read whether or not they have fixed the dinner buffet by opening marketplace as a buffet and using deck 16 as overflow, but it doesn't look like it. Cheng stated that some of the sewer smell can be reduced once MSC realizes what drains are evaporting (make sense), but I then question whether or not MSC will follow up on a regular basis.

I may have finally answered my own question with this post. Is that lack of critical thinking? :)

The buffet issue is definitely down to personal preference. I generally despise buffets and enjoy being waited on in the MDR, but again, that is my preference. Regarding the smell, that has been taken care of, according to reviews of people just off (or currently on) the ship, so that shouldn’t worry you. Best of luck with your decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We sailed in B2 Fantastica 1/13/138 and booked SJ3 Aurea cabin for November

Most Americans have certain expectations when booking a cruise. Food plays a big part in it. We are a gluttonous bunch and expect quality, lots of variety and quantity.

MCS claims that its trying adapt for an American market. IMHO it's failing to do so. In practice you have 1st class passengers in the yacht club. Business class passengers in Aurea cabins. Premium Economy class- Fantastica and Basic Economy in Bella. Most people who book have no idea of these distinctions. Person in Bella will most likely assigned to eat dinner at buffet that is turned into restaurant for the night. Atmosphere will be lacking for some. Bella passengers will also not get drink vouchers.

If you want a free diner and don't want to spend close to two hours in the main dining room, your only choice is small buffet on 16 or room service. If you are willing to pay your option open up a bit. For lots of cruisers used to myriad of choices of RCCL and the like the result is bewilderment and disappointment.

The Seaside is new ship. The staff is under-trained and over worked. We were lucky and out steward Sonny was great others report a different experience.

I will give them another chance in 8 months. Even last month we had a good time. Pizza and desserts were top notch and my kids enjoyed kids club and refuse to cruise on a ship without water slides. I enjoyed the shows.

The ship decor at times feel like glorified ikea - buffet at 16 but lots of people like the modern look. I was not a fan of grey and purple red color sceme. But that is highly subjective.

We sailed in B2 Fantastica 1/13/138 and booked SJ3 Aurea cabin for November

Most Americans have certain expectations when booking a cruise. Food plays a big part in it. We are a gluttonous bunch and expect quality, lots of variety and quantity.

MCS claims that its trying adapt for an American market. IMHO it's failing to do so. In practice you have 1st class passengers in the yacht club. Business class passengers in Aurea cabins. Premium Economy class- Fantastica and Basic Economy in Bella. Most people who book have no idea of these distinctions. Person in Bella will most likely assigned to eat dinner at buffet that is turned into restaurant for the night. Atmosphere will be lacking for some. Bella passengers will also not get drink vouchers.

If you want a free diner and don't want to spend close to two hours in the main dining room, your only choice is small buffet on 16 or room service. If you are willing to pay your option open up a bit. For lots of cruisers used to myriad of choices of RCCL and the like the result is bewilderment and disappointment.

The Seaside is new ship. The staff is under-trained and over worked. We were lucky and out steward Sonny was great others report a different experience.

I will give them another chance in 8 months. Even last month we had a good time. Pizza and desserts were top notch and my kids enjoyed kids club and refuse to cruise on a ship without water slides. I enjoyed the shows.

The ship decor at times feel like glorified ikea - buffet at 16 but lots of people like the modern look. I was not a fan of grey and purple red color sceme. But that is highly subjective.

Re the drink vouchers Fantastica don’t get them in the U.K. either.

The buffet issue is definitely down to personal preference. I generally despise buffets and enjoy being waited on in the MDR, but again, that is my preference. Regarding the smell, that has been taken care of, according to reviews of people just off (or currently on) the ship, so that shouldn’t worry you. Best of luck with your decision.

k

If this is true, that would be a huge positive for Seaside. I'll most certainly be on the lookout for verification from people sailing from today (1/28) onward.

I am thinking more so of canceling just from the attitudes of folks here. Like, who attacks someone because they didn't like their own vacation? Is this representative of what it will be like on Seaside? Will people jump down my throat and bash my nationality because I don't like the food? Will people call me names or question my thinking ability if I don't like the smell? My gosh, some folks on this forum are downright scary.

I absolutely agree with you, BUT I actually sailed Seaside this last week and really enjoyed my hot food (and real butter). I never caught a whif of sewer smell (and we walked the entire ship everyday). Every crew member I came in contact with was friendly and professional.

My point is, I understand that vacation time is rare and some may not want to gamble with it, but my guess is just as many people enjoyed their cruise than those who didn’t, we may just not be as vocal of a group.

With all the bashing going on here, especially from those who haven’t even stepped aboard one of their ships, it seems that there are some who want MSC to fail in North America? Isn’t choice a good thing for consumers?

To some degree you are correct. However, I stand by my assessment.

I was waiting to hear from Jim....This feedback clinches it for me. Jim is a very logical and objective reviewer.... I've followed him on 4 ships...utilizing his tips and recommendations...Never steered me wrong. Worst cruise out of 43??? No thank you. Someone else can have my cabin. I'm out!!

I couldn't agree with you more! I'm sorry but if I went with everyone's opinion I wouldn't live in the town i live in, i wouldn't drive the truck that i drive, i wouldn't cheer for sports teams i cheer for. Could you imagine the world we would live in if everyone had the same opinion?

Re the drink vouchers Fantastica don’t get them in the U.K. either.

New Zealand don't get the Fantastica drink vouchers either

Sent from my SM-A320Y using Forums mobile app