Symphony of the Seas Mediterranean

we are a family of 4 (10 and 13 yrs) and can see things like flowrider, zip wire, swimming, ice skating, shows,

Being that there are 7 days to cover this off i see that i have plenty of time.

Thanks

Sorry for the late reply to your specific questions Kenny... I tried to look through your previous posts to understand where you are from.... are you North American?

The original poster did not mention children.... I can't relate to the logistics you may have with yours. Are you planning to have them along for full day excursions off the ship? Are you thinking about late dinners and late nights on board, or will you need to put them to bed at decent hours so that you can get up early the next morning again for the next port? I feel that you will not have time to do and see everything on Symphony, especially with kids in tow.

On another thread you had looked for advice on how to get to Civitavecchia with your family.

I would not take the train with your kids + luggage + getting from Civitavecchia train station to the port....

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=44301747&highlight=Trenitalia#post44301747

Rome to ship (private driver) = 135 euro vs. 80euro on train for your family/dealing with luggage/transfer from train station to port/etc:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=54098243&highlight=cabs4rome#post54098243

I wish for you to have an excellent cruise, and I hope you'll book another cruise on Symphony (or Harmony/Allure/Oasis) in the Caribbean when you'll have more time to do "ship things"

Wait a second... which one is it? You do have time to do everything on Symphony? Or will it be a shame to miss the ports?

Will the original poster have time to tour Marseille and see Notre Dame/French Riviera, Cinque Terra or Pisa/Florence, La Sagrada Familia/Guell Park/Montjuic in Barcelona just to name a few... and still get back on the ship in time around 7pm (after being off the ship at 8am) to have dinner and see all the shows....

or should they travel, with their kids in tow, all the way to Rome so that they can spend their time on the Florider, inside the Promenade, ensuring they see both Aqua shows as well as the Broadway shows, and not miss the Comedy Show nor Jazz on 4, nor a ship behind the scenes tour, nor the slides, nor the pools, nor the DL/CL lounges.... waaaay more important doing these on board ship things than seeing Capri and Pompeii. :rolleyes:

They should just stay home and take yet another Caribbean cruise on one of the 4 Oasis Class ships this coming winter if this is the case.

I don't know about you but my head hurts reading this thread.:halo::')

JC

Enjoy the ports enjoy the ship you've had enough excellent advice on here to make up your own mind.

I'm certainly not convinced whichever ship you sail on in Europe you would want to do five or six full days of excursions you would be absolutely knackered.

Totally agree.

Enjoy the ports enjoy the ship you've had enough excellent advice on here to make up your own mind.

I'm certainly not convinced whichever ship you sail on in Europe you would want to do five or six full days of excursions you would be absolutely knackered.

That is kind of what happens the first time someone from the other side of the pond visits Europe. How do you skip seeing a medievil city? How do you decide, today, I am just going to chill on the ship, I am not going to see a historic place that I have wondered about all of my life. Versus the ship is in Nassau, or Falmouth, yeah, I am seen trees and poor people before and I have bought cheap trinkets that were probably not even made on this island before. Some trips are ship intensive and some are port intensive. I don't see paying for a higher priced ship when the main reason to do a cruise is what is on shore. A cruise is an awesome way to see places for the first time. Being knackered means that you really don't have the time to do the ship justice. Now if you are a European on this ship, you don't care about what is on the shore, as my English friends told me 20 years ago on a Med cruise, once you have seen one ruin you have seen all the ruins you need to see. I think they had an excellent point.

JC

Yes a lot of sites are the similar.

But just do your homework and decide what's best for you.

I'm certainly not encouraging you to cruise on the brand new SOTS which would obviously carry a heftier price than an older ship.

I love and am happy to cruise on all classes of ships never cruised on a bad one have always enjoyed them all.

From my own perspective though I would probably pay the additional price to cruise on SOTS but each to there own and whatever you decide I'm sure you will have a great cruise.

Yes a lot of sites are the similar.

But just do your homework and decide what's best for you.

I'm certainly not encouraging you to cruise on the brand new SOTS which would obviously carry a heftier price than an older ship.

I love and am happy to cruise on all classes of ships never cruised on a bad one have always enjoyed them all.

From my own perspective though I would probably pay the additional price to cruise on SOTS but each to there own and whatever you decide I'm sure you will have a great cruise.

My sentiments exactly and why we sailed on all the ships i posted previously in their maiden season.

Allure 2015 and Harmony 2016 were fantastic but we still saw the ports too.

If you make the effort you can do whatever you want.

Sailing on a new ship wins hands down everytime for us.

That is kind of what happens the first time someone from the other side of the pond visits Europe. How do you skip seeing a medievil city? How do you decide, today, I am just going to chill on the ship, I am not going to see a historic place that I have wondered about all of my life. Versus the ship is in Nassau, or Falmouth, yeah, I am seen trees and poor people before and I have bought cheap trinkets that were probably not even made on this island before. Some trips are ship intensive and some are port intensive. I don't see paying for a higher priced ship when the main reason to do a cruise is what is on shore. A cruise is an awesome way to see places for the first time. Being knackered means that you really don't have the time to do the ship justice. Now if you are a European on this ship, you don't care about what is on the shore, as my English friends told me 20 years ago on a Med cruise, once you have seen one ruin you have seen all the ruins you need to see. I think they had an excellent point.

JC

I agree. We too have been to mainland Europe from England many, many times and have seen it all both on cruises and land trips umpteem times. We also have 3 or 4 cheap weekend trips in European cities too throughout the year (it's cheap to fly from Liverpool).

We're on the Symphony in early June out of Barcelona (been there 4 times already!) and have booked this ship purely because it's a huge ship with lots to see and do, and because it's a brand new one which will be a novelty for us. We're not intending to get off it much, we're staying aboard at port stops, bagging a prime sunbed by the pool and enjoying our drinks packages in the sun with peace and quiet! But if we did want to make full use of the port stops I certainly wouldn't pay Symphony prices, I'd go for the smaller, cheaper ships. European cruises can be very port intensive and with so much to see can also be very tiring.

I agree. We too have been to mainland Europe from England many, many times and have seen it all both on cruises and land trips umpteem times. We also have 3 or 4 cheap weekend trips in European cities too throughout the year (it's cheap to fly from Liverpool).

We're on the Symphony in early June out of Barcelona (been there 4 times already!) and have booked this ship purely because it's a huge ship with lots to see and do, and because it's a brand new one which will be a novelty for us. We're not intending to get off it much, we're staying aboard at port stops, bagging a prime sunbed by the pool and enjoying our drinks packages in the sun with peace and quiet! But if we did want to make full use of the port stops I certainly wouldn't pay Symphony prices, I'd go for the smaller, cheaper ships. European cruises can be very port intensive and with so much to see can also be very tiring.

First time we sailed in the Caribbean was on Crown Princess from San Juan and for 15 night's.

With jet lag and length of flight we felt 15 nights was appropriate.

My view would be anyone coming from the US would benefit from a back2back cruise when they could truly make the most of the ship and ports.

First time in Europe as well?

Symphony is likely you very worst choice for a ship. You will have to decide whether you want on this 7 day cruise to actually see the ports in Europe or miss things ashore to enjoy the ship. The itinerary is heavily weighted on the port stops. Note there are many experienced Oasis Class cruisers here who have sailed on Oasis and cannot do everything on board within 7 days even on Caribbean itineraries where they don’t get off the ship. Also note you’ll be getting off at ports with 5000 other people.

I would very seriously reconsider. Save Symphony for a Caribean Cruise and book Jewel or Vision in Europe

I see absolutely no reason to consider this ship the worst choice. It's like having the best of two worlds. Great ship and awesome ports. Number one, the number of people on the ship does not affect getting off the ship. What affects getting off the ship, is immigration. Since the ports you do not need to pass through immigration, you would have no major issues.

The difference between sailing in the Caribbean and Europe/Asia is this. In the Caribbean, ships day time activities are much more extensive because the Caribbean is mostly boring. Excursions revolve around petting different see creatures, snorkeling, the beach, and some action items like ATV tours or zip line. Things that you can do in Florida, and many other beach areas. However in Europe/Asia, you are going to witness culture, and history. Beach activities are usually not on the agenda. The ships do not expect a large number of people lounging around at the pools. I have been on ships, where I got back a little early, and the ship was dead.

In a nutshell, no need to change ships, and enjoy the best of all worlds on this cruise.

First time in Europe as well?

Symphony is likely you very worst choice for a ship. You will have to decide whether you want on this 7 day cruise to actually see the ports in Europe or miss things ashore to enjoy the ship. The itinerary is heavily weighted on the port stops. Note there are many experienced Oasis Class cruisers here who have sailed on Oasis and cannot do everything on board within 7 days even on Caribbean itineraries where they don’t get off the ship. Also note you’ll be getting off at ports with 5000 other people.

I would very seriously reconsider. Save Symphony for a Caribean Cruise and book Jewel or Vision in Europe

Totally agree.

The ship IS the destination as there is so much to do and see. For us in Europe we can easily get to any of these places for a long weekend, so when on Symphony I plan to enjoy the ship.

There is no way I would be want to be watching the 10.30p diving show when I knew I had to be up and off the ship at 7 to get to Rome. These ports are active active active, as well as being hot and dusty with cobbled streets.....you will be exhausted, and you will have brain ache from trying to remember all the historical names and events.

If you want to do Europe then take a trip on Jewel or Vision, and enjoy the ports to the full.

ps: waving at Hoopster!!!

I see absolutely no reason to consider this ship the worst choice. It's like having the best of two worlds. Great ship and awesome ports. Number one, the number of people on the ship does not affect getting off the ship. What affects getting off the ship, is immigration. Since the ports you do not need to pass through immigration, you would have no major issues.

The difference between sailing in the Caribbean and Europe/Asia is this. In the Caribbean, ships day time activities are much more extensive because the Caribbean is mostly boring. Excursions revolve around petting different see creatures, snorkeling, the beach, and some action items like ATV tours or zip line. Things that you can do in Florida, and many other beach areas. However in Europe/Asia, you are going to witness culture, and history. Beach activities are usually not on the agenda. The ships do not expect a large number of people lounging around at the pools. I have been on ships, where I got back a little early, and the ship was dead.

In a nutshell, no need to change ships, and enjoy the best of all worlds on this cruise.

Great discrimination.

Great post and totally agree.

Five in our family went on our first Med cruise about four years ago...and then another one a couple of years ago. We had sailed previously on the ship and we were glad because we honestly didn't see too much of the ship itself, but that's because our reason for the cruise was to see as much as we could in the ports. We were all adults ranging for 20's to 60. We booked private excursions to maximize what we could see and be able to have some control over what we saw and how much time we spent at each place. If they have small children, this ship is going to definitely WOW the kids and that might be the reason they chose this ship, which is understandable. It just depends on what their priorities are. Just for convenience and one more thing to take the pressure off me, especially with luggage and children, I would not go the route of a train. I'd use a private vendor like Joe Bananas or Rome In Limo. Get a quote for half-day excursions and then you can relax and let the kids enjoy the fun things the cruise ship offers. We didn't want to schlep the luggage (and with kids, they'll be schlepping their luggage and the kid's luggage) and be pooped to start the cruise either. Well worth the money for the help and knowing you can sit back and relax. We also spent 2 nights pre-cruise in Rome and that was the BEST advice we followed from here at cruise critic. Time for the time adjustment and to see the sights in Rome. There's not a bad choice for a Med cruise, just choices based on what your priorities and expectations are for the ship/excursions.

I LOVE the big ships - lots of different bars, plenty of things to see and do, different food choices. I'm not so keen on smaller ships, I find them quite boring. But in saying this, I wouldn't have chosen the Symphony if it was the first time I'd be visiting Med ports as I wouldn't be on the ship long enough to enjoy what it offers. And they charge enough for it! I'm looking forward in June to spending a lot of time on this ship and skipping the ports - I've got a Deluxe drinks package to make the most of! lol

Mum Lloyd

Obviously not everybody likes the same things, but many f these ships are ruining the environment, not to mention ruining small places that were full of charm and a pleasure to visit. Those same places now overrun with visitors.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My wife and I will be sailing Symphony in October, starting out in Barcelona. We are from the US.

Started early last year deciding between itineraries and ships. Then the Symphony itineraries were announced.

Our decision priority was ports first then ships. This is our first time in Europe and the ports seem to give a nice slice of everything except beaches (no big deal, we have FL and the Caribbean for that).

We know we will not be able to see all that the Symphony has to offer. But it’s a very nice preview while we take in the ports that this itinerary has to offer. And when she gets to our side of the world we’ll cruise her again to really “wring” her out.

In other words, Symphony is icing on the cake. The ports are the cake.

As far as cost, we booked her very early (at announcement time). Honestly, I would not book this cruise now or even last October as the fares seemed to have gone through the roof.

Always pays to book as early as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mum Lloyd

Obviously not everybody likes the same things, but many f these ships are ruining the environment, not to mention ruining small places that were full of charm and a pleasure to visit. Those same places now overrun with visitors.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Awesome analysis. Like Rome never had any visitors before this ship. I bet the Romans prefer the tourists to the Goths, Visigoths, Huns, etc.

Thanks for wasting some electrons and hastening the end of Mother Earth. Each electron wasted, leads to global warming don't you know.:rolleyes::evilsmile:

JC

I think all Europe trips are shockingly expensive! I was pricing out the Independence out of Southampton for a 12 night... 2 adults 2 children... the best part of 12 grand - ouch! I know she is getting her refurb - but I'm not that bothered about trampolines. So I guess if I was coming from the other side of the world , I would be wanting to make the most of my time on land to get the bang for my buck... who knows when you might be passing this way again etc.

However, on looking at where you are going the only place with any "real" travelling that would take the whole day is Rome, so my feeling is that you would be okay

• You could do a half day trip to Pompeii
  • You could go on a lovely boat trip round Cinque Terre. They look great from the boat. Pisa/Florence are A LONG way from La Spezia.
  • You could get to Barcelona a day or two early to "see" there properly
  • You could get together with people your roll call and organise a full day trip for Rome.

Marseille could be your lazy day.

Have a great vacation!

I LOVE the big ships - lots of different bars, plenty of things to see and do, different food choices. I'm not so keen on smaller ships, I find them quite boring. But in saying this, I wouldn't have chosen the Symphony if it was the first time I'd be visiting Med ports as I wouldn't be on the ship long enough to enjoy what it offers. And they charge enough for it! I'm looking forward in June to spending a lot of time on this ship and skipping the ports - I've got a Deluxe drinks package to make the most of! lol

The good thing about European cruises is a lot of people get off the ship in ports so the ship and Windjammer are usually very quiet until at least 2 pm and often much later.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app