getting to the ship...best way?

iluvcruises

The last couple of cruises we went on we had driven to the ports. Our next cruise we will be flying down to Miami. Because we are flying, luggage weight will now be an issue, so a lot of the stuff I like to be (shampoo, hair products,, pack of soda, etc) I wont be able to pack in my suitcase. I would love to stop at Walmart/Target once we arrive in Miami. There will be 5 of us, do you think it would be more practical (expense wise) to just rent a small car and do our thing and drop off car at port or to get a taxi and ask them to make a stop at the store for us? Any suggestions? Thanks

The last couple of cruises we went on we had driven to the ports. Our next cruise we will be flying down to Miami. Because we are flying, luggage weight will now be an issue, so a lot of the stuff I like to be (shampoo, hair products,, pack of soda, etc) I wont be able to pack in my suitcase. I would love to stop at Walmart/Target once we arrive in Miami. There will be 5 of us, do you think it would be more practical (expense wise) to just rent a small car and do our thing and drop off car at port or to get a taxi and ask them to make a stop at the store for us? Any suggestions? Thanks

We cruised out of Miami in August and checked for a place to get our things like toiletries and soda. We ultimately decided against it. We had the Cheers package so the soda didn't really matter to us. We packed travel sizes of toiletries.

It seemed like a distance to get to anywhere to shop - unlike in San Juan where CVS was literally across the street.

You can check Uber prices vs. rental cars to determine the best option. There are 5 of you so are all 5 going shopping? Maybe just 2 of you go shopping with a list and you can get uber while the others stay behind with your luggage at the port.

For Miami airport, if you get a rental car from Alamo, National, Thrifty, or Dollar, they will shuttle you to the ship when you turn the car in.

If you want to rent from Avis or Budget, set it up as a one-way rental with a drop off at the downtown SE 2nd street location. This will allow you to use the Avis/Budget shuttle to the ship.

If you are willing to go a day early, you have more options. Inexpensive hotels can be found close to the port, which are in walking distance from a drug store where you can pick up all the heavy stuff you don't want to pack on the plane.

If flying in the same day, get an Uber/Lyft to an appropriate shopping location between MIA and the Port of Miami, shop, and get a second ride to the port.

I've flown to Miami and FLL maybe 30 times from NY and my S.O.P. was to buy the 3 oz travel size shampoo/conditioner combos, mouthwash, etc. When I got TSA Pre Checked approved with Global Entry, I didn't even need to show the zip loc I kept them in, and being travel sized, I could put them in my checked (if going business or 1st class) or carry on luggage (if in economy) and it didn't matter.

I always flew in the morning of the cruise (never been an issue) and I don't remember a store at the airport to get sundries and stuff. If you taxi to the seaport, you can always ask your driver to stop at the closest store as you leave the airport and wait for you to run in and out. Just tip accordingly if he agrees.

Don't bother renting the car if you are flying in the day of your cruise. Just use a taxi or Uber and ask them to stop at a CVS or Walgreens drug store for your supplies -- shop fast, the meter will be running! A taxi from MIA to POM is $27+ tip -- you'll pay an extra $5-10+ depending upon how fast you can get in & out of the store. Uber is typically under $20 to POM - not sure about how they charge for waiting? :confused:

We've never risked flying in on the day of a cruise - always arrived at least one day early just in case of flight delays or cancellations. Please come back after your cruise and let us know how the stop to shop worked out.

We cruised out of Miami in August and checked for a place to get our things like toiletries and soda. We ultimately decided against it. We had the Cheers package so the soda didn't really matter to us. We packed travel sizes of toiletries.

It seemed like a distance to get to anywhere to shop - unlike in San Juan where CVS was literally across the street.

That is very odd. Port Miami is in Downtown Miami. There are about 4 CVS and Walgreens within a 10-minute walk of my apartment. My apartment is about a five minute drive from the port.

To the OP:

First you should re-think flying in the day of the cruise. That being said, if you have time there are plenty of CVS/Walgreens and other stores like Publix where you can get most of your things close to the port. There is a target somewhat on the way in Midtown Miami that you could have a taxi/uber stop at.

After you have collected your bag at baggage claim and are outside open up the Uber or Lyft application on your smart phone and request a ride. The app will use your phone to find you, but will ask to confirm your location/door number. Once the driver has accepted your request his photo and car info will show along with an estimated pick-up time. You can follow the progress of his car on the screen. If you enter the address of your destination your estimated fare will show.

This is a YouTube video that will walk you through the process. If a dinosaur like me can figure it out (with some help from my 20 something daughters) you can too! ;)

Have a great cruise! :cool: