Seeking guidance in dealing with $500 cell satellite bill

CocoKai

We just spent three weeks in the southern Andaman islands of Thailand. Two of them Did not have ATM's. We carried cash.

We routinely had great wifi, so much so that DW was regularly skyping her grandson. Voice and video perfect, and in sync.

We no longer travel with our cell phones. We take an iPad and a long distance calling card (which we never seem to use)

Unfortunately, there is very little that can be done right now about the speed. Satellite connections are slow, there is a lag, even on regular phone calls. When I'm in Australia, I call my mother on my landline, cellphone, and using a Skype-like VOIP service. There is always a lag due to the satellite connection. Internet on the ships is no different. It's going to be slow because it can't not be slow. Then add on al the people on the ship using the internet and it slows it down even more. It's just the way it is with the currently available technology.

Actually a lot can be done, higher speed satellite internet technology with lower latency is currently available. It has been installed and is has been used for several years on most Royal Caribbean Corp ships. They use medium orbit satellites on the O3b low latency network instead of the high orbit geostationary satellites that Holland America ships are recieving their internet from. On Royal Caribbean and Celebrity I have been able to stream Netflix. Last September Carnival Corp signed up for the O3b network so when they roll it out on Holland America ships it will be a big upgrade for passengers.

Actually a lot can be done, higher speed satellite internet technology with lower latency is currently available. It has been installed and is has been used for several years on most Royal Caribbean Corp ships. They use medium orbit satellites on the O3b low latency network instead of the high orbit geostationary satellites that Holland America ships are recieving their internet from. On Royal Caribbean and Celebrity I have been able to stream Netflix. Last September Carnival Corp signed up for the O3b network so when they roll it out on Holland America ships it will be a big upgrade for passengers.

A minor correction. There is technology that through use of algorithms, buffering, hand shaking, etc, that have reduced the impact of latency on satellite communications. Over all signal latency, limited by the speed of light and radio waves, is pretty much fixed and as such is not improved by technology.

It still takes an individual packets just as long to make the trip.

Hey CocoKai, maybe this is what happened. Looks like a seasoned cruiser got stung with a monster bill.

https://cruiseable.com/blog/are-maritime-carriers-hijacking-your-smartphone-when-youre-on-a-cruise-ship

Many thanks for the link to this article warning about "Cellular at Sea" appearing on your phone and activating without one being aware of it.

Hey CocoKai, maybe this is what happened. Looks like a seasoned cruiser got stung with a monster bill.

https://cruiseable.com/blog/are-maritime-carriers-hijacking-your-smartphone-when-youre-on-a-cruise-ship

In the second part of his article titled Cellular at Sea he misunderstands what he has turned off. He took the phone out of Airplane Mode. He had cellular data turned off, good, but the phone did what it was supposed to. It looked for a cell network and will connect to one if found which can be used for voice and texts. Because it is a cell phone. That is why it showed Cellular at Sea. If there are voice calls or text he will get charges for those, not data which is off what he turned off. He should have kept it in Airplane Mode with WiFi turned on if he didn’t want to connect to a carrier at all. Many do want data off so they don’t get data roaming charges but still want to get voice calls or text. Second misunderstanding he had is that to use social media over the ships WiFi you have to take it out of Airplane Mode. You don’t. You only need to have it in Airplane Mode and turn on WiFi and connect to the ships WiFi.

Edited by Charles4515

For future cruises I highly recommend the ATT international $10 per day plan. Only works on port days but is included text, data and calls.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I used the $10 a day passes while in port on my last two cruises. Worked out quite well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the second part of his article titled Cellular at Sea he misunderstands what he has turned off. He took the phone out of Airplane Mode. He had cellular data turned off, good, but the phone did what it was supposed to. It looked for a cell network and will connect to one if found which can be used for voice and texts. Because it is a cell phone. That is why it showed Cellular at Sea. If there are voice calls or text he will get charges for those, not data which is off what he turned off. He should have kept it in Airplane Mode with WiFi turned on if he didn’t want to connect to a carrier at all. Many do want data off so they don’t get data roaming charges but still want to get voice calls or text. Second misunderstanding he had is that to use social media over the ships WiFi you have to take it out of Airplane Mode. You don’t. You only need to have it in Airplane Mode and turn on WiFi and connect to the ships WiFi.

So not to highjack CocoKai's threat....

If I just want to use texting (using a add-on plan I purchase from my carrier for the cruise duration) while I'm on a cruise; I need to ensure that both Airplane mode is activated and that my cellular data roaming is off?

I don't want to get charges for any incoming calls or voicemails.

I also wanted to say that when you turn your data on in port you are going to get a lot of data because your apps are sending it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On that subject, on an iPhone you can toggle off data by app to control data use. See screenshot.

63236cf0a3b3f432c0bc47e2e159aedc.jpg

After reading this thread I feel fortunate I got off so cheaply last September. We had just arrived in our cabin in Citiveccia when my phone rang. I somehow had taken it off airplane mode. It was my son whose wife was needing emergency surgery. At the time I thought I didn't care what the call cost. Turns out it was only $17.00. And my DIL did well. In the future we will be signing up for Verizon's international plan while on our trips.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

If I just want to use texting (using a add-on plan I purchase from my carrier for the cruise duration) while I'm on a cruise; I need to ensure that both Airplane mode is activated and that my cellular data roaming is off?

Do not rely upon any advice you get from anonymous posters on the internet. Call your service provider and get the best information on how to proceed. I called Verizon and they were very helpful. Asked several questions about where I was going and about my intentions. They recommended that I did not need a special package. They sent an email telling me exactly what I had to do to avoid those calls. The email was specific to my phone.

BTW, ATT charges for voicemail. Verizon only charges if you answer the phone. Text messages are very cheap. Five cents to receive. Fifty cents to send. They didn't recommend airplane mode since that meant I couldn't receive voice calls (remember you don't have to answer) or texts. Just "Turn Data Off".

My step son lives in the same town. He and a few neighbors are told to avoid calling, send a text. If it's important, we'll text back or call if it's really important.

We probably won't get more than 10 text messages so paying as you go is much cheaper than the ship's wifi.

For text messages you won’t be able get them thru your carrier in Airplane mode unless you do WiFi calling. That is another subject.....

After reading this thread I feel fortunate I got off so cheaply last September. We had just arrived in our cabin in Citiveccia when my phone rang. I somehow had taken it off airplane mode. It was my son whose wife was needing emergency surgery. At the time I thought I didn't care what the call cost. Turns out it was only $17.00. And my DIL did well. In the future we will be signing up for Verizon's international plan while on our trips.

And the beauty of the AT&T and Verizon 24 hour travel passes is that the 24 hour period does not start unless you use voice, text or data. If you don’t use any of those you won’t get charged. Last cruise was seven days and had five ports and one sea day. I used it four port days and got charged $40.

This has all been interesting reading. I have been using my cell for about the last 3 1/2 - 4 years while cruising by adding a International data plan with AT&T. they have different ones to pick from based on megabytes and only good for 30 days starting the date of your choice to cover your trip. I have been doing this instead of the expensive internet plans on board the ships and the very slow speeds in return. It has worked great for me as I have left my phone turned on the entire cruise but of course made sure that as we sail from port and before getting too far out I put it into airplane mode. Then I leave it like that till we reach our next port. When we do I take it back out of airplane mode again to use while in port either ashore or on board as I'm close enough to connect to local cell phone towers for the time in port. I have also decided that during sea days I can more than survive without being able to access the internet so another reason for not spending the money on one of the plans on board the ship. When I added the data plan by phone with someone with AT& T before our recent holiday cruise where we were on the Nieuw Amsterdam for 2 weeks I explained how long I have been doing this and how I use it. The person I spoke with actually said that she was going to remember this to help others. I am aware of the plan that is available to use while on board a cruise but it will not work while off the ship in port. That is why I just get the plan I do. It can all depend on what your regular plan covers and remember that when in the Caribbean visiting Puerto Rico and St. Thomas they are both U.S. Territories so regular plans will likely give you coverage there.

Also, back in July & August of 2016 my mom and I did a 4 week trip to Europe including a 2 week cruise on the Koningsdam round trip from Amsterdam followed by time with very dear friends of ours in the Netherlands. I added that same international data plan but just a bigger one for this trip and handled it the same way during the cruise which included being and using it as far north as Honningsvag, Norway for Nordkaap. Then While staying with our friends I did go back and forth putting my phone into airplane mode at night to conserve the plan and also connected to our friends WiFi while with them. Until we make any changes with our wireless plan with AT&T I plan to continue to go this route with our future cruising.

This has all been interesting reading. I have been using my cell for about the last 3 1/2 - 4 years while cruising by adding a International data plan with AT&T. they have different ones to pick from based on megabytes and only good for 30 days starting the date of your choice to cover your trip. I have been doing this instead of the expensive internet plans on board the ships and the very slow speeds in return. It has worked great for me as I have left my phone turned on the entire cruise but of course made sure that as we sail from port and before getting too far out I put it into airplane mode. Then I leave it like that till we reach our next port. When we do I take it back out of airplane mode again to use while in port either ashore or on board as I'm close enough to connect to local cell phone towers for the time in port. I have also decided that during sea days I can more than survive without being able to access the internet so another reason for not spending the money on one of the plans on board the ship. When I added the data plan by phone with someone with AT& T before our recent holiday cruise where we were on the Nieuw Amsterdam for 2 weeks I explained how long I have been doing this and how I use it. The person I spoke with actually said that she was going to remember this to help others. I am aware of the plan that is available to use while on board a cruise but it will not work while off the ship in port. That is why I just get the plan I do. It can all depend on what your regular plan covers and remember that when in the Caribbean visiting Puerto Rico and St. Thomas they are both U.S. Territories so regular plans will likely give you coverage there.

Also, back in July & August of 2016 my mom and I did a 4 week trip to Europe including a 2 week cruise on the Koningsdam round trip from Amsterdam followed by time with very dear friends of ours in the Netherlands. I added that same international data plan but just a bigger one for this trip and handled it the same way during the cruise which included being and using it as far north as Honningsvag, Norway for Nordkaap. Then While staying with our friends I did go back and forth putting my phone into airplane mode at night to conserve the plan and also connected to our friends WiFi while with them. Until we make any changes with our wireless plan with AT&T I plan to continue to go this route with our future cruising.

WAY too long of a post to even try to comprehend. :rolleyes:

Thanks for that great post rjbean. I'm going to take your advice and get a travel package from my carrier to cover me at the US destinations and the Caribbean ones.

One question though. Once you have arrived in port, can you use your carrier's travel pack even while on the ship or can you just use it while on land?

Thanks again for taking the time.

Thanks for that great post rjbean. I'm going to take your advice and get a travel package from my carrier to cover me at the US destinations and the Caribbean ones.

One question though. Once you have arrived in port, can you use your carrier's travel pack even while on the ship or can you just use it while on land?

Thanks again for taking the time.

On a Caribbean cruise if you are on AT&T or Verizon the one day Travel Passes are probably going to be a better deal than the monthly packages that rjbean used. For example last December I did a seven day cruise and used a 24 hour travel pass for every port. I am on AT&T. Total cost was $40. With the Travel Pass I have the same features I have at home on my domestic plan when roaming. For me that is Unlimited Data, Voice and text. And Mexico and Canada. AT&T offers two thirty day packages. $60 for 1GB of Data and $120 for 3GB of data. So on a seven day Caribbean cruise the one day travel passes were a better deal than those monthly packages for data use.

Once you arrive at a port you can use your carriers travel pass or travel package while on the ship. The ships must turn off Cellular at Sea within 12 miles of land. So you roam on a local carrier at non US ports. Remember to turn on data roaming when you arrive at a port and turn it off when when leaving if you want to use data.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

In the future we will be signing up for Verizon's international plan while on our trips.

Just be sure to read and understand the plan.

We had the Verizon Intl plan and still ended up with quite a bill after some very minimal use on a port stop in Tahiti (maybe 10 minutes). We were unaware that Tahiti is one of the few places their plan didn't count.:eek:

Lesson learned.

Cheers!

On a Caribbean cruise if you are on AT&T or Verizon the one day Travel Passes are probably going to be a better deal than the monthly packages that rjbean used. For example last December I did a seven day cruise and used a 24 hour travel pass for every port. I am on AT&T. Total cost was $40. With the Travel Pass I have the same features I have at home on my domestic plan when roaming. For me that is Unlimited Data, Voice and text. And Mexico and Canada. AT&T offers two thirty day packages. $60 for 1GB of Data and $120 for 3GB of data. So on a seven day Caribbean cruise the one day travel passes were a better deal than those monthly packages for data use.

Once you arrive at a port you can use your carriers travel pass or travel package while on the ship. The ships must turn off Cellular at Sea within 12 miles of land. So you roam on a local carrier at non US ports. Remember to turn on data roaming when you arrive at a port and turn it off when when leaving if you want to use data.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Charles.

I'm with Rogers in Ontario Canada. The prices don't compare with the American carriers but are a lot cheaper than going with HAL's internet packages.