Platinum finally giving up on NCL

danfiveoh

Our last cruise on the Epic was fabulous as it was before. It could be that being in the Haven and spending the majority of our time in Posh made the difference but we found everyone on the ship to be very nice and had a great time. We are taking a break from NCL due to the poor customer service after our October cruise was canceled. The lack of response and asking for the same thing over and over again truthfully became old. We took our platinum points over to MSC and are planning to sail them next year.

There is no perfect cruise line and we have enjoyed different ones at different times for different reasons. I have an upcoming NCL Hawaii cruise in June and plan to have a great time. After all my issue is not with the crew on any of the ships. I agree with other posters sometimes it is better to just move from line to line to see what makes your heart happy.

We had cruised 5 years in a row and then had to take a break because of family issues. Last year was our first cruise in 3 years and we chose Oasis of the Seas. Knowing that food was the same on all the lines we had been on we decided to go first class and booked a room on the Oasis that included a genie. If you are looking for service this is the way to go. Anywhere we went we were treated with respect and people were happy to help us in any way. Food even seemed better when the wait staff knew you by name. I know most people think this is way to expensive but if you are looking for service give the RCCL genie a try. We have since booked the Pinnacle Suite on Eurodam and the H2 Haven on the Breakaway. I guess we became spoiled having Alan on the Oasis but we also are willing to pay the extra cost for the extra service. I know you should be treated like you are first class regardless of what cabin you choose to book but cruising is like flying, first class is different that coach and you get what you pay for.

We last sailed on the Holiday when it was the resident ship in Mobile before Carnival sold her. It was a cheap weekend getaway and we had a lot of fun (we had lowered our expectations considerably to start with), but that cruise made me realize how much cruise ships have changed over the years and how much better modern cruise ships are today. I believe that a lot of people look back at how cruising used to be 20-30 years ago with rose colored glasses and don’t realize how limited cuisine, entertainment and accommodations used to be, not to mention how exorbitant fares used to be like for a product that today would be considered subpar.

I do agree that accommodations have improved greatly over the past 20-30 years while prices have not increased dramatically. Cuisine may not have had the variety of options but service in the dining rooms was usually impeccable. Still miss the dining staff from the Caribbean islands that Norwegian used to have that made things so much fun. As far as entertainment goes, I don't believe anything will ever top the Broadway shows (Hello Dolly, My Fair Lady) that I used to see on the Norway, although the one we saw on the Epic last year was pretty darn good. Sea Legs was also always an amazing revue. Add to that the top notch entertainment that was offered on the other nights and anything else will have a hard time measuring up. There was also not the constant push to spend money that is so predominant today. Rose colored glasses, I don't think so.

This is what happens when things go mass market. Competition is heavy. First the boats get bigger and have more things to do. Then everyone has bigger, newer boats so that's no longer a draw.

So then there's a need to compete on price.

If the cruises are too expensive then you have 4000 passenger ships that will be half empty.

This leads to cutting operating costs - less food, crappier cuts of meat, less strong drinks, etc. because the mass market will only tolerate a certain price increase.

People looking for a better experience most likely need to step up to the next tier of cruise line.

Rose colored glasses, I don't think so.

I believe that personal preferences do play a big role on how we compare cruising of the past with modern cruising. For someone who cherishes more personal and impeccable service, better cuisine, attention to detail, etc, yes, cruising used to be substantially better. There’s simply no way that a mammoth mega ship holding 5,000 passengers providing a mass market experience could provide the same quality in these departments as what a smaller ship could when cruising used to be for a privileged few.

However, for those who place more emphasis on accommodations, variety, flexibility, and quantity (rather han quality), then modern cruising may provide the better experience. Personally, I look back at my first cruise (aboard a 16,000 ton ship over 35 years ago) with extremely fond memories, and there won’t be any modern ship or bells and whistles that will ever provide memories like the ones I have from that first cruise.

But being completely objective, at the same time there were many aspects about that cruise that would be unacceptable by today’s standards. And that’s why I said that many people look at the past with rose colored glasses and only remember the good things. Yes, there were many things that were definitely better, but there were also many that were worse. MUCH worse.

About entertainment, you remember My Fair Lady on the Norway. I remember the same 4 dancers every night wearing the same Vegas feathered costumes dancing on a tiny stage in a crammed low ceiling lounge where they had no space to move without slapping people on the first row with their feathers, and how awful these shows used to be. This is just one small example on how differently we all remember things from the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was on Oasis last year and didn't touch the buffet. I don't eat at buffets while on land, so I'm not going to on a ship. Hate to sound like a snob, but buffets are incredibly unsanitary (that goes for any and all buffets, simply given the logistics of how food goes from pan to plate) and typically focus on quantity over quality.

I'll give you unsanitary, but how do you think they are making your entrees in the main dining room kitchens? Not really much different if you think about it. Give it a try once. Just don't get things that obviously don't fare well under a heat lamp (burgers, eggs benedict). I recommend the curries for lunch!

I'll give you unsanitary, but how do you think they are making your entrees in the main dining room kitchens? Not really much different if you think about it. Give it a try once. Just don't get things that obviously don't fare well under a heat lamp (burgers, eggs benedict). I recommend the curries for lunch!

I did give the buffet in The Solarium on Allure a shot on a sea day once. It was awful. We even went so far as to get plates of food, sit down, started eating, looked at each other, and said "let's go to the main dining room." The food was really that bad. They didn't even have ranch dressing on the salad bar, of all things, they didn't have something as basic as ranch. I heard some old guy loudly cursing at his wife over the salad dressing choices. The laugh I got out of that episode was probably the highlight of our short-lived "meal." ;)

pretty sure unsanitary meant that hundreds of people come through the buffer, touch their face, sneeze in their hand, scratch their ass and then grab tongs and spread germs and illness to others etc. Take 5 minutes at any buffet, not necessarily on a cruise and just people watch, it is scary . The food is fine, NCL maintains temp and time controls on all of it, its the guests that are scary

pretty sure unsanitary meant that hundreds of people come through the buffer, touch their face, sneeze in their hand, scratch their ass and then grab tongs and spread germs and illness to others etc. Take 5 minutes at any buffet, not necessarily on a cruise and just people watch, it is scary . The food is fine, NCL maintains temp and time controls on all of it, its the guests that are scary

Other things I've seen at buffets over the years: A child dropped tongs on the ground, picked them up and put them back on the serving tray, a man that had been sweating profusely was serving himself, and I saw sweat drip into the tray of food, people grabbing food with bare hands, and so on.

You're absolutely right, it's not the cruise line to fear, it's the passengers.

Other things I've seen at buffets over the years: A child dropped tongs on the ground, picked them up and put them back on the serving tray, a man that had been sweating profusely was serving himself, and I saw sweat drip into the tray of food, people grabbing food with bare hands, and so on.

You're absolutely right, it's not the cruise line to fear, it's the passengers.

I have to say, we do go to the Buffet sometimes, but less and less all the time. Would never go for dinner and really for lunch.

the only thing i agree with you on is the quality of food in the specialty restaurants. we do nto pay for them anymore, we only eat our two free platinum dinners. the MDR is just fine for us otherwise. we always have great service and drinks at the bars, but we avoid certain ones like the pool bar which is always a zoo, esepcially on embark day.

Take 5 minutes at any buffet, not necessarily on a cruise and just people watch, it is scary...

I was on a HAL cruise, washing my hands in a public bathroom before heading to the buffet. There was a man in a stall who was obviously going #2 [emoji90][emoji40]. He came out of the stall while I was drying my hands and he just kept walking and exited the bathroom in front of me without washing his hands. Sure enough, he walked straight to the buffet and ended in line in front of me 🤢. Needless to say, I decided to walk away and skip the buffet altogether. The last thing that I wanted was to hold any tongs after that man had touched them with poopy hands. And what he did was just an example of the dismal hygiene practices that I witnessed during that cruise.

Not surprisingly, I got sick on that cruise with some sort of gastrointestinal issue / food poisoning with severe cramps and vomiting. This experience really made me reconsider where I get my food from when I go on a cruise, and the buffet is definitely one of the last places I now consider when I want something to eat.

I was on a HAL cruise, washing my hands in a public bathroom before heading to the buffet. There was a man in a stall who was obviously going #2 [emoji90][emoji40]. He came out of the stall while I was drying my hands and he just kept walking and exited the bathroom in front of me without washing his hands. Sure enough, he walked straight to the buffet and ended in line in front of me 🤢. Needless to say, I decided to walk away and skip the buffet altogether. The last thing that I wanted was to hold any tongs after that man had touched them with poopy hands. And what he did was just an example of the dismal hygiene practices that I witnessed during that cruise.

Not surprisingly, I got sick on that cruise with some sort of gastrointestinal issue / food poisoning with severe cramps and vomiting. This experience really made me reconsider where I get my food from when I go on a cruise, and the buffet is definitely one of the last places I now consider when I want something to eat.

Good God, what is wrong with people? Hygiene aside, wouldn't you at least wash your hands when other people are around so you don't look like a nasty slob? I guess some people just don't care. Gross.

...wouldn’t you at least wash your hands when other people are around so you don't look like a nasty slob?

I don’t know if women do this, but I do notice that a lot of men do the “pretend hand washing” in public bathrooms where they turn the water on, rinse their hands for a second or two without soap and leave. Obviously a mediocre attempt at not looking like a total pig, but completely useless.

I agree 100% with you. With over 11 cruises with Norwegian we are done with them as well.

Read my recent review “ live from Getaway “ on last weeks cruise . I added some photos which will make you question quality control on the ship .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh man, when you got to the buffet you should have loudly announced "this guy just took a **** and didn't wash his hands before leaving the bathroom!"

Read my recent review “ live from Getaway “ on last weeks cruise . I added some photos which will make you question quality control on the ship .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To say that was horrendous is an understatement. I was actually eating as I was scrolling through your review and I almost threw up.

Well, I'm announcing this now... look at this post #19 and tell me how you feel about it.... yuck :mad:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=54690220#post54690220

It almost seems like that slob is proud of how disgusting he is. I feel sorry for his wife. Then again, I foresee that specimen as a lifelong single.

Wife and I are in our mid 50s and have been cruising for over 30 years. Most of our cruises have been on NCL (fondly remember the Norway!) and we've cruised most of the other lines. IMHO NCL has unfortunately gone downhill over the past 5 years or so. We just returned from our 2nd cruise on the Epic (we've been on the other NCL ships, Jewel class are our favorites). The staffing levels are down and most of the staff clearly are not the cheerful enthusiastic folks we saw in past years. They are now tasked with more work than ever. They also don't have the same incentives they had to promote up that they had in the past. I spoke with 2 different crew members who related that NCL now hires people into positions from outside more often. That takes away the incentive to move up from busing tables to waiting tables in the MDR to waiting tables in the specialty restaurants to becoming a maitre d'. We've also noticed that while the cost of specialty dining has gone up, the quality and quantity has gone down. On this last cruise, Our steaks were not cooked as ordered in two different specialty restaurants. On one occasion, after I sent both of them back and one came back even more well done that the previous (I ordered medium). I asked to speak with the maitre d'. I was told he was in a meeting and was not available. Rather than send it back a 2nd time, I ate the steak. Aside from the specialty restaurants, there were often lines at the bars due to the fact that most only had one or two bartenders working. They were working very hard, but just had trouble keeping up. I know this sounds like a lot of whining, but with over 30 cruises, we miss the exceptional service that we had come to expect from NCL. I spoke with several other couples and the general consensus was that NCL service is declining while they continue to find ways to charge for everything they can think of. I'm gonna miss NCL but I've had enough.

I totally agree with you. We are top level with NCL and Princess. Last year when we went with NCL, I was very disappointed with the changes and said that would be our last NCL cruise. Princess still treats you better. We were very disappointed in the decrease of perks that we had before. When I posted my feelings, I was bombarded with negative comments to me for criticizing NCL. I just dropped out of the conversation. We are done with NCL. We have started taking Viking cruises and find them outstanding in all aspects.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When I posted my feelings, I was bombarded with negative comments to me for criticizing NCL.

Quite interesting, isn't it? People get mad because you are unhappy with a corporation. They act as though they personally have some sort of stake in the company, and your comments will cause them harm. What a nice position for a cruise line to be in. Customers with complete blind loyalty who will hand over their money regardless of how they are treated. It's that mindset that allowed us to get to where we are today with the degradation of service/quality and the nickle and diming.

Quite interesting, isn't it? People get mad because you are unhappy with a corporation. They act as though they personally have some sort of stake in the company, and your comments will cause them harm. What a nice position for a cruise line to be in. Customers with complete blind loyalty who will hand over their money regardless of how they are treated. It's that mindset that allowed us to get to where we are today with the degradation of service/quality and the nickle and diming.

Nicely summarized