Platinum finally giving up on NCL

danfiveoh

Wife and I are in our mid 50s and have been cruising for over 30 years. Most of our cruises have been on NCL (fondly remember the Norway!) and we've cruised most of the other lines. IMHO NCL has unfortunately gone downhill over the past 5 years or so. We just returned from our 2nd cruise on the Epic (we've been on the other NCL ships, Jewel class are our favorites). The staffing levels are down and most of the staff clearly are not the cheerful enthusiastic folks we saw in past years. They are now tasked with more work than ever. They also don't have the same incentives they had to promote up that they had in the past. I spoke with 2 different crew members who related that NCL now hires people into positions from outside more often. That takes away the incentive to move up from busing tables to waiting tables in the MDR to waiting tables in the specialty restaurants to becoming a maitre d'. We've also noticed that while the cost of specialty dining has gone up, the quality and quantity has gone down. On this last cruise, Our steaks were not cooked as ordered in two different specialty restaurants. On one occasion, after I sent both of them back and one came back even more well done that the previous (I ordered medium). I asked to speak with the maitre d'. I was told he was in a meeting and was not available. Rather than send it back a 2nd time, I ate the steak. Aside from the specialty restaurants, there were often lines at the bars due to the fact that most only had one or two bartenders working. They were working very hard, but just had trouble keeping up. I know this sounds like a lot of whining, but with over 30 cruises, we miss the exceptional service that we had come to expect from NCL. I spoke with several other couples and the general consensus was that NCL service is declining while they continue to find ways to charge for everything they can think of. I'm gonna miss NCL but I've had enough.

I sail different lines each year and you're going to find the same complaints with people that sail NCL, Carnival, Royal, MSC, etc .... Sailed the Escape then the Carnival Vista last year. Understaffed, nickel and dimed, and the worst MDR and buffet food we have ever had. We are on MSC this April, hearing the same things. We are on the Bliss for 2019. Don't expect too much difference anywhere else except moving up to Holland, Princess, or Celebrity.

Unfortunately, your post has become a common topic concerning all major cruise lines. Go to any board on Cruise Critic and replace NCL for any other cruise line’s name.

I’ve also been cruising for over 30 years on most major cruise lines, and I had also reached Platinum level on another line. Instead of sailing frequently on one cruise line, I made the decision a few years back to sail on as many cruise lines as possible and to never repeat the same one two times in a row. This approach has restored some of the excitement that I once felt as a new cruiser. Every time I set foot on a new cruise line, everything feels new and fresh. In the last 5 years I’ve jumped from Carnival to Royal Caribbean to Holland America to Princess to MSC to Disney and we are booked on another MSC cruise later this year followed by Carnival and Princess. I encourage you to do the same.

While all cruise lines do continue to adjust their products and come up with new ways to cut costs to maintain prices competitive, there’s something that you can do to continue experiencing what you once loved about NCL. And that’s to move up to the next tier of cruise lines in the premium segment. Yes, you will pay more than what NCL currently charges, but the prices (adjusted for inflation), level of service, quality, and even ship size will be in tune with what cruising used to be 30 years ago aboard the mainstream cruise lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Unfortunately, your post has become a common topic concerning all major cruise lines. Go to any board on Cruise Critic and replace NCL for any other cruise line’s name.

I’ve also been cruising for over 30 years on most major cruise lines, and I had also reached Platinum level on another line. Instead of sailing frequently on one cruise line, I made the decision a few years back to sail on as many cruise lines as possible and to never repeat the same one two times in a row. This approach has restored some of the excitement that I once felt as a new cruiser. Every time I set foot on a new cruise line, everything feels new and fresh. In the last 5 years I’ve jumped from Carnival to Royal Caribbean to Holland America to Princess to MSC to Disney and we are booked on another MSC cruise later this year followed by Carnival and Princess. I encourage you to do the same.

While all cruise lines do continue to adjust their products and come up with new ways to cut costs to maintain prices competitive, there’s something that you can do to continue experiencing what you once loved about NCL. And that’s to move up to the next tier of cruise lines in the premium segment. Yes, you will pay more than what NCL currently charges, but the prices (adjusted for inflation), level of service, quality, and even ship size will be in tune with what cruising used to be 30 years ago aboard the mainstream cruise lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums[/quote

I think you were the poster who mentioned this a few years ago and I have sense taken it to heart. Rather than trying to stay with any line we have been hopping and must say it has worked well. Menus are different since we no longer repeat, entertainment is differs and there is something new to the trip. I have decided that we are going to rotate and try new lines as a way to keep things fresh..the lines are not loyal to me and quite frankly the returning passenger perks so limited at my levels it makes no difference at all. Variety is the new cruise phrase!

Strange. Our last cruise was fully of friendly and hard working people who served us food and drinks just like we requested.

The crew seemed just as happy as they have any other time over the past 20 years. Much of it depends on the attitude of the person taking the cruise.

Honestly, this is a great idea in my opinion. I may rethink my next cruise...after my 4/7 Cruise on the Escape that is.

I'm sorry you weren't happy on your last cruise. If you liked NCL in the past, then I think you'd also like Princess, and Cunard. We also liked HAL, but personally thought the food was a bit better on the other two lines. In our experience, it seems as thought the major lines are more similar than different, and we always chose cruises based upon itinerary (well, that and kids club options but it is highly unlikely you need to worry about that!).

To the OP, sorry that your NCL cruise was a disappointment.

We were just on the Dawn for Jan 17 Caribbean cruise and had an overall good experience with a friendly crew. Never got the idea that they were overworked, understaffed or unhappy.

And we had a bonus: the Caribbean Wave band, who performed on the pool deck, the Atrium and the Bliss Lounge, was exceptionally talented and friendly.

Honestly, this is a great idea in my opinion. I may rethink my next cruise...after my 4/7 Cruise on the Escape that is.

PTC DAWG:

Reading your screen name, I get the feeling that we live in the same town. Do golf carts mean anything to you? [emoji6]

I sail different lines each year and you're going to find the same complaints with people that sail NCL, Carnival, Royal, MSC, etc .... Sailed the Escape then the Carnival Vista last year. Understaffed, nickel and dimed, and the worst MDR and buffet food we have ever had. We are on MSC this April, hearing the same things. We are on the Bliss for 2019. Don't expect too much difference anywhere else except moving up to Holland, Princess, or Celebrity.

If you are looking for good food, you won't get it on MSC.

We have been faithful to NCL for a few years but this year tried Princess. There were no fewer "problems" there than there are with NCL but they are new "problems". We may take your advice and look to other cruise lines.

After 6 RCL cruises I am going the opposite direction for exactly the same reason, service not the same due to lack of staff, experience becoming stale. Prices increasing while experience being chipped away.

I have chosen NCL for a new experience and for there child pricing which is far better than RCL.

We felt exactly the same way about Carnival, so we came back to NCL in December after 25+ years away.

Needless to say, we will not be returning to Carnival anytime soon.

Great Subject

20 years ago first cruise on the Sun Princess. We had an aft suite and ate always in the MDR (not even sure there were specialities) it was excellent in every way. Had to go to Michelin restaurants to rediscover quality after the cruise.

Then eg 10 years ago Emerald Princess.....huge ship.....huge difference....school dinners in MDR .....had to us Sabbatinis and the speciality Steak house almost every night.

Recent years. NCL JADE....we enjoy the ship but need suites for the Breakfast and Lunch and specialities for Dinner. Le Bistro, Cagney's and Sushi.

last couple of years Haven on Epic. The "real Haven" experience. The Haven restaurant is in our opinion back to where we were 20 years ago on the lovely Sun Princess.

A circle.......yes...but pricing at todays values is not so far away from the prices 20 years ago....fascinating.

Much in our world is dumbed down.....maybe we just have to bypass it and go where we enjoyed it in earlier times.

In London I can stay for less but choose the St James' Club and Hotel....Michelin Restaurant. Not cheap but

makes the Haven look reasonable!!!!

Just my view. Many won't agree

Deeko

There were no fewer "problems" there than there are with NCL but they are new "problems". We may take your advice and look to other cruise lines.

That’s true. We’ve learned that there’s not a single cruise line that excels at everything. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. Even when we sailed on Disney last November we learned that not even the mouse does everything perfectly. But it’s finding the good things in each cruise line what makes it worth it to jump around from one to the other.

From the cruise lines that we’ve tried in the last few years, we’ve found that Holland America offers the most traditional experience that best mimics what cruises used to be like, but it’s not the best match for our young family with very energetic small children. Royal Caribbean provides the biggest “wow” factor and best match for our family’s likes. Carnival is good for a budget minded, unpretentious cruise. MSC is a nice departure from what American cruise lines offer and a great opportunity to meet a more international clientele. Disney is fantastic for the kids, but the high prices, limited non-Disney themed activities and repetitive itineraries will keep us away. And Princess was a wonderful experience for a cruise for just the wife and I that provided just enough of an upgrade without being too stuffy.

Have fun selecting your next cruise! [emoji3]

I have wondered if it is all of NCL, or just the Epic. We recently sailed the Epic Western Caribbean Jan 13 - 20, 2018. It was our third time in the Haven. Previously on the Escape, Eastern Caribbean, and the Getaway Transatlantic, we had wonderful experiences, especially the food in the Haven.

It appeared that the food and beverage manager may have been trying to cut corners to save money. On the first evening, I ordered prime rib in the Haven dining room. The meat was tasteless and the au jus tasted like Franco canned gravy. I couldn't finish it. For lunch one day, I ordered the French dip sandwich, which was half the size as I was served on our two previous Haven cruises. It was accompanied by the same canned gravy as the prime rib. In fact, the portions of all the meals we had were much smaller than previous experiences.

We ate in Le Bistro one night. The onion soup and creme brule were great. However, my wife only had two bites of her veal, and I ate only two of the three, silver dollar sized, tasteless lamb loins. We had chicken wings in O'Sheehan's, which were the smallest wings I have ever seen, along with two tiny pieces of celery.

We also ate in Cagney's twice, and I had wonderful ribeye steaks each time.

We found the service by the staff to be exceptional, as usual, with the exception of our butler, and again, this may be food related. After the first day afternoon snack of chocolate covered strawberries, I told her that we don't care for sweets. The following day she brought us cookies. And the next day she brought us canape's. We has a similar problem with the butler on the Getaway, and he said they can only bring what the kitchen makes. However, after that, he brought us sandwiches and cheese plates.

So now, as I am planing our next cruise, I am wondering if if it is all of NCL, or just the Epic?

We felt exactly the same way about Carnival, so we came back to NCL in December after 25+ years away.

Needless to say, we will not be returning to Carnival anytime soon.

I understand how you feel. Now that I've seen how great NCL is, I will go on my last Carnival cruise that's already booked and that will be it. So far NCL has been my favorite, but I liked and will sail Princess again. I also want to give Royal a try at least once. But I did not have ANY of the negative experiences the OP described having on NCL on any NCL cruise, while I have repeatedly been underwhelmed and disappointed with Carnival.

I wasn't cruising 30 years ago in the days of the midnight seafood extravaganza buffets, but from what I have read, it seems cruising has changed a lot since then. But so has the cruising demographic. I think now, it's become very much more an affordable family vacation, with very good prices compared to prices 30 years ago (relatively), but many passengers still have an expectation for their idea of luxury. I will never forget seeing multiple people ordering as many as six "lobster tails" (luke warm and rubbery lil things they were) on a Carnival cruise - six plates of dinner would arrive, for the same person. Who can afford to run a business like that? I think (and not saying you, personally, OP) that many passengers expect a 5 star experience at 2 star prices. Many cruisers are looking for value (nothing wrong with that), but some take that value-seeking idea to extremes, like ordering 6 lobster tails per person. The wait staff, relying on tips, don't feel they can say no, in fact I think they encouraged it.

Luxury exists, it's definitely out there, but I don't think it's on the mainstream lines anymore (with the exception of things like The Haven). Higher costs and changing passengers demos all play in to that, in my opinion.

For every post like yours that says things have declined in the past years, you will have one like mine that feels things have improved greatly in the past 5 years. And for every person that announces they are leaving NCL to commit to other cruise lines, there are an equal amount of people leaving those cruise lines because they are annoyed at the same problems.