Is the EPIC an EPIC fail?

CruisingNole

Just off Epic yesterday. This was our first "big" ship experience. We had a great time but will not likely cruise her again. It felt extremely crowded to us. On sea days there were no chairs anywhere on the pool deck or the next one up or Spice H2O, two very small smoking areas which get very crowded causing more condensed smoke to flow into the nonsmoking areas. Other ships that have one side smoking on one of the open decks work out much better. BTW, before the flames start getting tossed, I am a nonsmoker. The only day we were able to sit anywhere near the pool was a port day we stayed on the ship. Non existent promenade and very small atrium only open to one floor above made it very difficult to be able to see any happenings on the atrium stage because it got so crowded. On port days when everyone returns it is a madhouse, long bar lines, crowded everywhere. The entertainment was excellent, food okay, desserts to die for and awesome staff. We had a balcony cabin with bed closer to the door and it was awful, no room to move at all. Went on a cabin crawl and saw one with the bed closer to the balcony and there was a huge difference in the amount of open space.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I do agree it seems crowded especially when the weather is bad like when we sailed her. Also the pool area is very crowded. Those are the days we find inside actities. We still would cruise her again under the right circumstances.

I do agree it seems crowded especially when the weather is bad like when we sailed her. Also the pool area is very crowded. Those are the days we find inside actities. We still would cruise her again under the right circumstances.

Would a very port-intensive itinerary (i.e. the Jan 2020 sailings from SJ....only one sea day in 10 or 11 days) make it more likely you'd cruise Epic again?

• 3 weeks later...
They mean that, whilst the Epic and Breakaway both have the Manhattan Room at the aft, the Breakaway also has both Taste and Savor, whereas the Epic just has Taste.

I don’t see that it makes much difference though. Taste and Savor are very similar and there are only really two of them as they are split by the. Central walkway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry just saw this. Yes Taste, Savor, and Manhattan room on Breakaway, only Manhattan and only one (Taste or Savor , can't remember which) on Epic. Bottom line, Epic is OK. But just for us, Breakaway, Gem had a better feel or vibe. Nothing bad enough not to go on again, but if presented with equal choices we'd chose the other. If Epic was a great deal or we were in Florida at the right time, Epic would be better.

I think Epic is the worst of the NCL mega ships.

We’ve been on Getaway and Escape and feel they fixed the things we didn’t like about Epic on those.

Plus, some people are really weird about the bathroom. I didn’t really mind it other than the strange motion censor light in the toilet area of ours.

I wouldn’t personally sail Epic again, but it wasn’t an awful vacation. Just make all your dinner and show reservations as soon as you can and the lines won’t impact you as much.

I’ve never been on Royal, but I do prefer ncl jewel and away class ships to the Epic.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Forums mobile app

Thank you everyone for your feedback. I have decided against my first cruise with NCL on Epic. There's clearly more negative than positive opinions about the ship. The Breakaway also goes out of Port Canaveral and I think this will be the better option.

Would a very port-intensive itinerary (i.e. the Jan 2020 sailings from SJ....only one sea day in 10 or 11 days) make it more likely you'd cruise Epic again?

I sailed Epic a month ago and said I would never sail her again. But I saw a similar itinerary out of San Juan and thought about it for a week and decided I could sail on the Epic for that itinerary. I booked our cabin in an area where I now know it will be more convenient to the venues we will use, got a cabin with bed by the balcony and am hoping for the best. Our cabin last month had the bed closest to the door, we were on a cabin crawl, saw one with bed by balcony and it seemed a lot more roomier. Our room location obviously won't help with the long lines and crowds but I'm thinking with only one sea day it won't seem quite as bad.

Edited by jtdlmc

I have been of the Epic and had a great time with entertainment,food and service. The ship has a weird look and bathroom layout but we still enjoyed and love that ship.

The did make a better version with the Breakaway class but that’s mostly because of the outside waterfront they got.

As for comparing NCL and RCCL big ships crowding I must say in my last Allure of the Seas cruise the crowding was one of the worst we had experience in a long time in the buffet and restaurant area.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Forums

I sailed Epic a month ago and said I would never sail her again. But I saw a similar itinerary out of San Juan and thought about it for a week and decided I could sail on the Epic for that itinerary. I booked our cabin in an area where I now know it will be more convenient to the venues we will use, got a cabin with bed by the balcony and am hoping for the best. Our cabin last month had the bed closest to the door, we were on a cabin crawl, saw one with bed by balcony and it seemed a lot more roomier. Our room location obviously won't help with the long lines and crowds but I'm thinking with only one sea day it won't seem quite as bad.

Thanks for the feedback. For a $2 deposit it was too good to pass up to have the choice on the 11 day southern itinerary. I’ll continue to research but my hope is that being in a port every day will minimize any cabin-induced negative vibes.

I personally love the Epic and have been on board 4 times. I do prefer the newer ships as you can easily see the ocean. That is my biggest complaint about the Epic. You have to search to see the ocean while on deck.

How can you tell when you book that your cabin has the bed by the balcony??

We were on the epic and had the bed by the balcony and if we go again with our son (who will be 3 or 4 when we go) I would rather my bed be in between him and the balcony.

We were on the epic and had the bed by the balcony and if we go again with our son (who will be 3 or 4 when we go) I would rather my bed be in between him and the balcony.

Look at the deck plan. The cabin is wider where the bed is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where the curved out part of the is in the cabin on the deck plans is where the head of the bed is.

Having been on epic 6 or 7 times I’m a big fan but I do prefer some areas on escape with the non smoking waterfront area. I really think they have learnt each time such as removing the split bathrooms, adding the waterfront, the individual bar areas unlike bar run on epic.

I've been wanting to cruise NCL and EPIC is the most convenient ship for me. However, all I read on cruise critic is how awful the ship is. Too many people, poor design, long waits, no pool chairs and so on. Does NCL just not know how to "cruise big?" I read good things about the smaller NCL ships, but everything EPIC is negative.

I've sailed several times on RC Oasis class ships, which are much larger than EPIC (size and passenger count) and never once did I feel like there were too many people, or it was crowded, or I couldn't find a pool chair. I like the big ships. Does RC just do a better job at planning these "mega-ships?" I can't help but wonder if NCL realized they had a loser on their hands based on the fact that there is no sister ship. It's very odd for cruise lines not to have sister ships, especially ships less than 10 years old.

That being said, I'm getting the vibe that my first sailing on NCL should maybe be on Sun or Sky...

NCL does not have a mega ship. Period. People can call them "mega ships" all they want, but the ships are not in the same class as Oasis or Quantum.

You are correct, NCL has no idea how to manage crowds and design large ships. We just got off Escape and it didn't feel big at all. It felt like a small ship with too many people on it. And the design is really terrible of the public spaces. I have no idea how Epic is, but their larger Escape was pretty terrible as far as design is concerned.

Stick with Oasis. Even Carnival ships like Breeze and Magic are much better.

NCL does not have a mega ship. Period. People can call them "mega ships" all they want, but the ships are not in the same class as Oasis or Quantum.

You are correct, NCL has no idea how to manage crowds and design large ships. We just got off Escape and it didn't feel big at all. It felt like a small ship with too many people on it. And the design is really terrible of the public spaces. I have no idea how Epic is, but their larger Escape was pretty terrible as far as design is concerned.

Why not sail Anthem?

Anthem as in Royal's Anthem of the Seas?

Variety is the spice of life, right? I'd like to try NCL, I just need to find the right ship.

The major problem with Epic, as well as the breakaway and Breakaway plus class, is the crowding on the pool deck. It’s the one thing that really tends to turn people off. The pool deck is the only place I’ve ever felt crowded on any of those ships. For me, the pool deck isn’t really that big a deal, so it doesn’t effect my cruise at all. Epic also has the added misfortune of the terrible room layout. Like anything else, some people don’t mind it. Some people HATE it. Personally, I’m not really a fan, but it’s not a deal breaker. My least favorite thing about Epic is that it feels very “closed in” compar d to NCL’s other mega ships. I prefer the Breakaway ships mostly because of the Waterfront. I’ve been on Epic twice and they were both great cruises, it just wouldn’t be my first choice when put agains the Breakaway ships. But you can’t compare ANY of NCL’s mega ships to Oasis class. NCL’s ships are very big, but Oasis class are much bigger, and I do think they feel more open just due to the sheer size.

What do u mean by the Waterfront?

Anthem as in Royal's Anthem of the Seas?

Variety is the spice of life, right? I'd like to try NCL, I just need to find the right ship.

We said the same thing and sailed Escape in the Haven last week. We fully regretted it. There was nothing unique about the experience that made us appreciate the variety and just so many negatives. The entertainment is way below par, the ship is crowded, drink package isn't as good, etc. The waterfront dining was pretty cool and the spa was outstanding - and I don't believe Epic has the great waterfront anyways. Otherwise, virtually nothing was better with NCL. They do a lot of things worse than Royal. Sorry, I didn't mean Anthem, I meant Oasis (and edited).

I'd take Carnival over NCL if you want to change it up. Do you have any experience on Carnival ships?

We said the same thing and sailed Escape in the Haven last week. We fully regretted it. There was nothing unique about the experience that made us appreciate the variety and just so many negatives. The entertainment is way below par, the ship is crowded, drink package isn't as good, etc. The waterfront dining was pretty cool and the spa was outstanding - and I don't believe Epic has the great waterfront anyways. Otherwise, virtually nothing was better with NCL. They do a lot of things worse than Royal. Sorry, I didn't mean Anthem, I meant Oasis (and edited).

I'd take Carnival over NCL if you want to change it up. Do you have any experience on Carnival ships?

Ahhh OK, gotcha. Well this fall we were debating between Royal Oasis and Carnival Breeze as both are out of Port Canaveral. However, Carnival fare and drink packages combined came to be about $500 more for the trip vs Royal, so I went with the cheaper option as I was on a budget. I would like to try one of the newer Carnival ships, however the price has to be right.

Regarding drink packages, how would you compare between Royal, Carnival and NCL? I think it's a bit of a joke that NCL doesn't even offer bottled water and I also have read reports of popular drinks being served premixed, and the specialty cocktails just don't seem as elaborate as you find on Royal. It seems like Carnival's is about on par with Royal, however. At least based on what I've heard.

Ahhh OK, gotcha. Well this fall we were debating between Royal Oasis and Carnival Breeze as both are out of Port Canaveral. However, Carnival fare and drink packages combined came to be about $500 more for the trip vs Royal, so I went with the cheaper option as I was on a budget. I would like to try one of the newer Carnival ships, however the price has to be right.

Regarding drink packages, how would you compare between Royal, Carnival and NCL? I think it's a bit of a joke that NCL doesn't even offer bottled water and I also have read reports of popular drinks being served premixed, and the specialty cocktails just don't seem as elaborate as you find on Royal. It seems like Carnival's is about on par with Royal, however. At least based on what I've heard.

I probably wouldn't pay more to sail Carnival over Oasis. But Carnival has some killer itineraries that may have several ports you haven't been to. If that's true, that would be a great chance at some variety! I also like that Carnival has a bunch of unique complimentary dining features which offers a good change of pace. The ships are better than NCL, too, but nothing compares to Oasis.

As for drink package, I found carnival on par with Royal providing you don't drink more than 15 a day. NCL by far the worst. NCL no bottle water as you know, but while they tout $15 per drink vs Royals $13, don't be fooled. Royal would pour anything I wanted. Anejo, gentlemen jack, etc. NCL told me these brands were outside the $15 limit!

Oh, and they close the bars during shows. Seriously. Comedy, no drinks. Stage shows, no drinks. The comedy venue was so bad, just chairs lined up in a room as opposed to a nice lounge, and they added to the lame venue by closing the bar when the show started.

That kind of summed up our experience on NCL. A few highlights but generally instead of "oh that's different, cool" which is how Carnival felt, NCL was more like "come on, really!?"

Edited by BNBR

I probably wouldn't pay more to sail Carnival over Oasis. But Carnival has some killer itineraries that may have several ports you haven't been to. If that's true, that would be a great chance at some variety! I also like that Carnival has a bunch of unique complimentary dining features which offers a good change of pace. The ships are better than NCL, too, but nothing compares to Oasis.

As for drink package, I found carnival on par with Royal providing you don't drink more than 15 a day. NCL by far the worst. NCL no bottle water as you know, but while they tout $15 per drink vs Royals $13, don't be fooled. Royal would pour anything I wanted. Anejo, gentlemen jack, etc. NCL told me these brands were outside the $15 limit!

Oh, and they close the bars during shows. Seriously. Comedy, no drinks. Stage shows, no drinks. The comedy venue was so bad, just chairs lined up in a room as opposed to a nice lounge, and they added to the lame venue by closing the bar when the show started.

And the itinerary is what interested me, you hit the nail on the head as to where my logic was headed. I also have heard good things about the quick service food options. I needed to keep it cheap though. But I'm sure in the future I can find a Carnival sailing that will work for me.

Wow, really? The bars close on NCL? No waiters roaming the venue taking drink orders all throughout the show?

And the itinerary is what interested me, you hit the nail on the head as to where my logic was headed. I also have heard good things about the quick service food options. I needed to keep it cheap though. But I'm sure in the future I can find a Carnival sailing that will work for me.

Wow, really? The bars close on NCL? No waiters roaming the venue taking drink orders all throughout the show?

They close, no drinks. No waiters. They serve before the show. I tried to order from a waiter just before show starts and she told me she can't, bar closed because the show was starting. This was a stand up show!

There was just too much of that type of nonsense with NCL and no upside.

Carnival is generally cheaper and it's good for the price. It's different but still enjoyable and the unique venues add to it. They have a waterfront too on many ships. NCL has Vibe which is near impossible to get and you have to pay for it. Carnival has the same thing, Serenity, and it's complimentary. Not sure I'd pay more for Carnival over Oasis but if the itinerary was right, I'd pay about the same and it would need to be one of the newer ships like breeze, magic or Vista.

Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, Curaçao, Aruba. They have really unique itineraries.